AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#702 ·
I agree that the Justified season finale was terrific television. I can't imagine how Dickie could be written into next year's shows. The authorities' have him cold on two attempted murders, of Ava and Raylan, and, probably, for the murder of Raylan's stepmother. That looks like the penitentiary for the foreseeable future and beyond.

I had a hunch that Mags poisoned herself because I couldn't take seriously the possibility that Our Hero, the star of the show, would be eliminated by poisoned moonshine at the end of Season 2. It was a riveting scene in any event and I am already looking forward to Season 3.

#703 ·
Just terrific, start to finish. And what a great finish. It was also a nice touch that Raylan wasn't always shown - especially in the finale - as the big gun slinger who ends all fights with a win. He needed help, lots of it, and got it in the nick of time. Mags and her end were a bit predictable I thought, but still well done. Many Emmy worthy performances.

#704 ·
I'll play devil's advocate. I thought it was a bit predictable. How many times in one show can Raylan be rescued from certain death by miraculously appearing aid and assistance from unexpected directions? Apparently the number is 2. The number should be zero, since we all know he can't die. The somewhat lame attempt to suggest he might get poisoned at the end was even less believable.

Margo Martindale was the real star of this season, Olyphant was an "also appeared".

#705 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20396917

I'll play devil's advocate. I thought it was a bit predictable. How many times in one show can Raylan be rescued from certain death by miraculously appearing aid and assistance from unexpected directions? Apparently the number is 2. The number should be zero, since we all know he can't die. The somewhat lame attempt to suggest he might get poisoned at the end was even less believable.

Margo Martindale was the real star of this season, Olyphant was an "also appeared".

I agree that the much of the season finale was a bit predictable. After all, how many times in TV history has the star of a successful dramatic series been killed at the end of the season? Thus, that Raylan would be rescued at the last minute, not once but twice, and then not poisoned by Mags was inevitable. I decided to suspend disbelief, though, and enjoy the exciting situations and great writing. I should add that because I watch a number of serialized TV dramas, I have become adept at suspending disbelief.

I also agree that Margo Martindale as Mags was a great addition to this season's episodes. I think most would agree that she will be missed.

#706 ·
The break-out performance, along with Margo's was the young girl who played Loretta. Think back to the scene with Raylan, after she shot Mags...WOW!!! The Marshall's Sniper shot on Doyle. Right out of commercial and Raylan is hanging like a Pinata with Dickie taking batting practice on him, and who saves him, Shane Vandrell... The whole show was great, going to watch it again on Friday night.....

#708 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20396917

You know, that bothered me a bit as well, but I thought they did a pretty good job of misdirection during the season by cultivating the rift between Art and Raylan so you couldn't be sure if Art was going to be there to bail him out of the jam. Having that doubt saved the scene for me, because otherwise it was cliche as hell.

#710 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/20396344

Nice writeup.

I loved last night's episode. I thought Mags was going to poison Raylan

More writeup later, I'm at the office.

I really enjoyed the season finale too and loved the final scene between Raylan and Mags but I didn't think she was going to poison Raylan for two reasons. One, I think she always respected him without advertising it. Two, Mags knew that Raylan would always look out for Loretta (effectively her pseudo-daughter) so why kill her protector?

#713 ·
That was one great season of TV and the finale - just wow! Love how this show, like 'Breaking Bad', seems to be getting better with age. I like how they've gone to a full-on long-form serialized format and think it's right up there with the best of 'em now. They deserved that Peabody.

Looks like Boyd will be the undisputed crime lord of Harlan County next year, and in a nastier mood if Ava doesn't make it. But he's saved Raylan's life twice now. Those two dudes have as complex a relationship as any two characters on television.

#714 ·
While I agree that much of the final sequence was fairly telegraphed (although I didn't see Doyle taking one to the head like that), it still was very effective and very satisfying. As soon as Mags said "Let's have a drink," I knew what was up, but given the look on her face when learning Doyle had been killed yet Dickie survived, I don't think she decided what to do until that moment. And it's truly believable given the different kinds of relationships she had with her boys.

What greater punishment for Dickie than to sit in prison, knowing that he wasn't worth enough in his mother's eyes to keep her from offing herself. Man, that's cold.

I will sorely miss Margo Martindale. It makes me wonder how they will fill the void, and reminds me of the problem "Dexter" was faced with -- finding an equal to John Lithgow (which they didn't, IMO).

#716 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/20397977

Looks like Boyd will be the undisputed crime lord of Harlan County next year, and in a nastier mood if Ava doesn't make it. But he's saved Raylan's life twice now. Those two dudes have as complex a relationship as any two characters on television.

I am confident that Ava will be back, at least I hope so. Her character has really grown on me. She's not hard to look at, either.
I agree that Raylan's relationship with Boyd is a complex and rich one. I expect Justified's writers to mine more of that ore next season.

#718 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell
Did you notice she swirled Raylon's drink after she poured it, then handed it to him and just poured her drink and downed it.
Didn't notice that, but I did see her take one jelly jar off the shelf and one out of the cabinet. So she always had jelly jars with poison in them sitting around in the cabinet just in case.

#719 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive
Loved the finale. Great season!!! One question though.

Why did Doyle's SUV have Bennett Police on it? It should have been Harlan Police or more accurately Harlan County Police, since he was sheriff. What am I missing?
He's in Bennett County

#721 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive
Loved the finale. Great season!!! One question though.

Why did Doyle's SUV have Bennett Police on it? It should have been Harlan Police or more accurately Harlan County Police, since he was sheriff. What am I missing?
The law would be enforced in Harlan County by a sheriff and his deputies, not by a chief of police and police officers. Because Doyle was a police chief, I assume the name of the municipality that appointed him was Bennett. Anyway, like you, the legend Bennett Police on Doyle's SUV surprised me. I had thought the municipality was called Harlan.

#722 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73
While I agree that much of the final sequence was fairly telegraphed (although I didn't see Doyle taking one to the head like that), it still was very effective and very satisfying. As soon as Mags said "Let's have a drink," I knew what was up, but given the look on her face when learning Doyle had been killed yet Dickie survived, I don't think she decided what to do until that moment. And it's truly believable given the different kinds of relationships she had with her boys.
I thought Mags made up her mind to check herself out a few minutes earlier when she was staring down the barrel of Loretta's gun. She didn't have to confess to killing Loretta's dad (before Loretta pulled the gun she was trying to pin it on Coover) but she did anyway. Raylan and the other Marshals were standing right there, so she must have realized that confessing to murder in front of them would mean she'd be going off to prison for the rest of her life. Remember how she said she was never going to leave Harlan County [alive].

When she lost Loretta, she realized she had lost everything. She also knew Raylan well enough to know he'd sit down and have a drink with her. She needed to know the feud was finally ended, and then she was ready to go.

#724 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
I thought Mags made up her mind to check herself out a few minutes earlier when she was staring down the barrel of Loretta's gun. She didn't have to confess to killing Loretta's dad (before Loretta pulled the gun she was trying to pin it on Coover) but she did anyway. Raylan and the other Marshals were standing right there, so she must have realized that confessing to murder in front of them would mean she'd be going off to prison for the rest of her life. Remember how she said she was never going to leave Harlan County [alive].

When she lost Loretta, she realized she had lost everything. She also knew Raylan well enough to know he'd sit down and have a drink with her. She needed to know the feud was finally ended, and then she was ready to go.
plus she was on the hook for murder

#725 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes
I agree. I realize this is high drama. But Raylan taking a drink offered by that woman at this time and place. C'moun.

#726 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
Raylan and the other Marshals were standing right there, so she must have realized that confessing to murder in front of them would mean she'd be going off to prison for the rest of her life.
It occurred to me while she was "confessing" under threat of a bullet that it wouldn't be admissible evidence. Thus I was surprised when she killed herself.

The pinata scene was the only thing that didn't work right. No way Raylan ends up w/o even a bruise.

Going to be a long 9 months.