AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20396773

I had a hunch that Mags poisoned herself because I couldn't take seriously the possibility that Our Hero, the star of the show, would be eliminated by poisoned moonshine at the end of Season 2. It was a riveting scene in any event and I am already looking forward to Season 3.

I guess I wasn't aware that there would be a Season 3, so I thought when I saw the look on Raylon's face when he said, "Mags, what did you do?", that he got the poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/20398349

Didn't notice that, but I did see her take one jelly jar off the shelf and one out of the cabinet. So she always had jelly jars with poison in them sitting around in the cabinet just in case.

Maybe I missed it, does anyone know what the poison was?

#732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/20398702

I agree. I realize this is high drama. But Raylan taking a drink offered by that woman at this time and place. C'moun.

Raylan wouldn't have known about Mags's extra special "apple pie."

He wasn't there when the girl's father was poisoned.

Of course, WE in the audience were....

#733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/20398838

The pinata scene was the only thing that didn't work right. No way Raylan ends up w/o even a bruise.

Raylan was able to scrunch up and present his upper arm/shoulder to Dickie during those blows. He never got hit in the head. His shirt covered up the inevitable bruising that would have resulted. What I was afraid of was that Dickie was going to first bash Raylan in the knee as "payback" for his own injury suffered years earlier at Raylan's hand. I was wincing in anticipation. And then Boyd arrived. I thought it was a well-constructed scene.

#735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/20400646

What I was afraid of was that Dickie was going to first bash Raylan in the knee as "payback" for his own injury suffered years earlier at Raylan's hand. I was wincing in anticipation.

That was my first thought too.

#737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20396773

I agree that the Justified season finale was terrific television. I can't imagine how Dickie could be written into next year's shows. The authorities' have him cold on two attempted murders, of Ava and Raylan, and, probably, for the murder of Raylan's stepmother. That looks like the penitentiary for the foreseeable future and beyond.

I had a hunch that Mags poisoned herself because I couldn't take seriously the possibility that Our Hero, the star of the show, would be eliminated by poisoned moonshine at the end of Season 2. It was a riveting scene in any event and I am already looking forward to Season 3.

I think Mags shared a libation or 2 with a few characters that she didn't kill in the previous few episodes---Raylan's dad comes to mind when he confronted her about not following through on the deal for his property. I think she may have even had a drink with Boyd too...or at least offered him one. So that final scene as to which mason jar was poisoned as well as whether or not this would be another sit down with booze like she'd done before without killing anyone.

Good stuff. Wish more people knew about/watching this show. You can lead the horses to water but you can't make them drink (unless the horses like to watch American Idol, Dancing With the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance)

#738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark /forum/post/20399808

Maybe I missed it, does anyone know what the poison was?

I think she said it was a herb she got off of the mountain. She might have even mentioned her grandmother as having had it.

#740 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan
me and my wife just starting watching this show,we have only watched the last five episodes and we love it,we are telling our friends about this fantastic show.
Then you've got 19 eps to watch from the beginning that will fill you in on life in KY and a bit of MIA. Netflix will get you S1. Maybe Hulu or something will get you the missed eps this season.

#743 ·
Finally got around to watching the finale yesterday, and wow, that's how finales should be done.

The only part I called BS on was Dickie (with his limp and all) sneaking up on Raylan.

#744 ·
Q&A
Thoughts on 'Justified' from Executive Producer Graham Yost and Author Elmore Leonard

By Maureen Ryan, AOL.com's 'TV Squad' Blog - May 26th, 2011

Raylan Givens fans are in for something of a dry spell. Now that the second season of FX's outstanding 'Justified' is over, we'll likely have to wait until early 2012 to see the U.S. Marshall again. The good news is that we'll also get a new Raylan Givens novel, appropriately titled 'Raylan,' from Elmore Leonard early next year.

At the Peabody Awards ceremony on Monday , Leonard spoke about the show -- the first television adaptation of his work to have both staying power and critical acclaim -- and I also sat down to talk with Graham Yost, the show's creator and executive producer, about what transpired in season 2 and where the show might go in season 3.

There are no spoilers as such in what's below, but it sounds as though the stories of Raylan (Timothy Olyphant) and fellow Harlan, Kentucky native Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins) will be even more deeply intertwined going forward.

"Our feeling is that we've spent all this time" complicating the relationship between Boyd and Raylan, Yost said. "We've kept Boyd and Raylan kind of apart. Their lives would cross, but you know, what could put them in a collision course again? Because there is something incredibly powerful about their relationship and the notion of friendship and being there for each other, oddly enough."

Before we get to the transcript of my conversation with Yost, I thought I'd share a few remarks that Leonard made at a Monday Peabody Awards reception at the Paley Center for the Media in New York.

Leonard said that he was really pleased with the way that 'Fire in the Hole,' the novella about Raylan returning to Kentucky, turned out when he finished it in 2000.

"This was a character who had been in a couple of books, and I thought I could go with him for a while," the novelist said. "Then I saw him on screen and I couldn't believe it. He acted exactly the way I saw him when I wrote it on the page. So that was the beginning and now I get excited about it."

He added, to laughter from the audience, "I'm an executive producer, but I'm not doing anything." (I wouldn't say that's technically true, given that Leonard invented Raylan and also got story credits on two season 2 episodes).

Leonard praised not only the accents and the acting on 'Justified,' but the show's seven-person writing staff.

"There are scenes in subsequent episodes that I think, 'My God, that's better than I could have written, copying myself,'" Leonard said. The writers are "all sounding better than me."

Below is my interview with Yost, in which we post-mortem season 2 a bit and talk about where things might go in season 3. I also mention an actor I think would be perfect for the show

Maureen Ryan: So were you surprised to win a Peabody?
Graham Yost: Yeah, I honestly was. [The Peabodys don't designate] any categories, but I think they always keep a little room open for stuff that they think is just [entertaining] and so in that respect we're incredibly flattered, but I was surprised. When 'Boomtown' won [a Peabody], I really didn't know much about the Peabodys. I'd heard of it. But you know, 'Boomtown' was like, "We are a quality show," and with 'Justified,' we feel like we're a quality show, but there is no quest to be an important show, if you know what I mean. We're not trying to make a statement. The whole purpose from the beginning is to make people go, "What are they going to do next?" You know, "Wow, I loved it when..."

And so that's ... that's Elmore. When you read an Elmore Leonard book, you're not thinking, "This is a really deep insight." Of course, you can still get those, but you're just going, "Wow, this is really fun."

We talked at the start of the season , and I was really interested in where it was going to go, but whatever expectations, I had you just blew them right out of the water.

I think I told you watch Mags, and watch the girl [Loretta].

You did, you were so right. I don't want to get too ahead of the game here, but when do you go into production? Are you back in the writers' room?

We'll start writing again in the middle of July and start shooting in early October.

So was the tank basically empty when season 2 was over, or did you already have ideas before season 2 was over in terms of where it would lead in season 3?

You know, we've always got two stories, we've got Raylan and then there is Boyd, so we knew that this season was about getting Boyd back to being a criminal again. His soul was crushed. His heart was broken at the beginning of the season, he was a broken man. Can he become unbroken? And then we had our twists and surprises along the way and we also linked him up with Ava. The whole goal of the second season for Boyd was [getting him to that place]. Well, now we've got him there and what do we do? So we have ideas for Boyd, and how does that fit with whatever we can think of for Raylan?

And you're still in that process of working that out.

We're still in that process.

Elmore has got a new Raylan novel coming out this year, so have you hung that up and stripped it for parts yet, as you say?

Yes, well we just got the last [section of the novel, which is called 'Raylan']. It's roughly in thirds and we had read the first two parts, and we used the town meeting about mining from the second part [in season 2 of 'Justified']. He had Purvis who was a plot farmer with two sons Dickie and Coover. We turned that into Mags and added a son, Doyle, and created the family feud and went on from there, but he had Loretta in his story. He had someone like McCready who gets caught in a foot trap and that stuff, but we came up with the [some other elements of that story].

Now we've got the third section and there is stuff in there we'll use. We have to look at it, and there is also something from his first section that we didn't use last year and we'll take a run at that again.

You have a very high-class problem, in that you have to follow the Mags story. You have to follow the Bennett story. Does that fact cause you dark nights of the soul?

Sure. Yeah, I won't lie. We know that we don't want to just have another bad family.

Is there going to be another Harlan story though?

Well, Boyd is a Harlan story. Our feeling is that we've spent all this time [building stories for Boyd and Raylan]. We've kept Boyd and Raylan kind of apart. Their lives would cross, but you know, what could put them in a collision course again? Because there is something incredibly powerful about their relationship and the notion of friendship and being there for each other, oddly enough.

For season 3, do you want to bring in another new character to be an antagonist, someone charismatic like Mags? Are you going to try to go to that well again?

I don't know. I don't know. An old friend of mine, Clyde Philips did the first four seasons of Dexter and that was very much [his way of working].

The good seasons.

[laughs] That's what he'd tell you. But you know, [on 'Dexter'] there was the Ice Cream Truck Killer and there was Trinity Killer and so on. He really wanted that unity, where each season was a book, and we want that too, but does that mean we're going to have that singular bad guy who Raylan is going to be after? I don't know.

You left Dickie alive. Was that a conscious choice in terms of future stories?

Yeah, I mean, we love Jeremy. We thought he was doing amazing work and he is a fun character and he is just really an interesting character. There were many ways we could go. It was also we just didn't want to kill them all. That would have felt kind of...

Shakespearean.

Yeah, it would have been a little too many bodies.

Loretta or Dickie, could they appear in season 3?

I don't know what we'll do with Loretta. When you start thinking down the road, I'd like to see Loretta at 16, 17, [I'd like to] be away from her and have her come back and have the audience go, "That was Loretta. Our little girl is all grown up!" But we'll see, because she is so good and she had a blast. She is not allowed to watch the show.

I would hope not.

But she had a blast.

She was phenomenal and Margo -- I can't say enough good things about her. She had that ability that Tim and Walton have -- that ability to turn on a dime. With Margo as Mags, there's just that unbelievable range and subtlety and charisma, I'm just such a fan.

Yeah. Tim has always done great work and I think that the writing [improved in season 2] too -- we found the show better. But I don't think 'Justified' would have gotten the attention it has received for its second year if it were not for Margo, and so to kill off Mags was very difficult, but even she admitted -- we were at a function last week -- that it was better this way. It was better to [to be able to] look at it and say, "That's the thing."

Well, it was so hard to lose her, but it's truthful that way. There are really interesting themes at work here, and there are questions like, Can you be forgiving? Can you change? Can people change? Mags actually made an enormous sacrifice so that her family could have the possibility of change and have a different future. It felt very truthful, and I was almost mad at you for killing her, but then I was like "All right, it works, damn it."

Well, that's the thing. We had to be truthful to who these characters were, what really made sense for them. Because if we had put her in prison and she is conniving and she breaks out, it's like, it's not

What do you feel like you've learned this season that you want to do again? What did you learn about the show, when it comes to the characters or even the production -- are there things you want to do more of or less of?

I feel like we're pretty much in the pocket production-wise. We just have to control costs a little bit. We ran a little bit over, not crazy over, but we have to keep our eye on that. Story-wise, we'll just see how the story emerges.

[FX president] John Landgraf said to me in the first season, do more standalone episodes at the beginning and then really feather in and then build to your serialized story for the last run [of episodes], and we did that again this year, but our first episode [of season 2] set up our arc for the season, the Bennetts. The murder of McCready became our original sin for the season. The girl, all of those things, we set that in motion and then we'd go away for a little bit and then come back and I think we would probably do that again if we could.

So Raylan is going to be a father, right?

Well, Winona's pregnant. Is she lying? Is she going to lose the child? I don't know.

Are they going to be living at Glencoe and he'll be teaching at the U.S. Marshal's Academy next season? I don't see that happening.

Probably not, but you know, life is complicated.

One last thing, and forgive me for pitching you on a casting idea, but how about Jackie Earl Haley for season 3?

He is great and 'Human Target' is done.

Yeah, 'Human Target' got cancelled and I must admit, when that show went away, I began to immediately agitate online to get him on 'Justified.' So now I'm just throwing that out there for you.

He is fantastic. That is a good point.

One last 'Justified' anecdote: A fellow Peabody board member mentioned on Monday that the show's star, Timothy Olyphant, had told her that he'd promised give Yost a nice present (I believe it was an iPad) if Raylan killed no more than three people in season 2, and that he was pleased that certain deaths were dropped in order to reduce Raylan's body count. Later, when that alleged quota came up in conversation with Yost, he laughed and said that while he didn't recall an exact number being set, there was an effort to have Raylan kill fewer people this season. And he's yet to get the gadget from Olyphant.

For my previous interview with Yost, look here . For my pieces on season 2 of 'Justified,' look here , here and here .

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/05/26/just...lmore-leonard/

#746 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20493214

For those going thru a Justified withdrawl....

I whole-heartedly recommend a recent movie based on an Elmore Leonard novel: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443559/

For some reason I can't quite understand, this fine film was largely ignored.

Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane, Thomas Jane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Rosario Dawson star.

I saw a few minutes of this on one of the premium channels. It was during the climax and I recognized it immediately (had recently read the book). I haven't looked for it since because of the 20 or so books by Leonard I've read, I liked this one least. Usually, there are several characters in each book that are interesting, including the protagonists. Neither the heroes or villians brought enough life to the story in Killshot. There are so many other EL novels that would have been better choices.

#747 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/20494534

I saw a few minutes of this on one of the premium channels. It was during the climax and I recognized it immediately (had recently read the book). I haven't looked for it since because of the 20 or so books by Leonard I've read, I liked this one least. Usually, there are several characters in each book that are interesting, including the protagonists. Neither the heroes or villians brought enough life to the story in Killshot. There are so many other EL novels that would have been better choices.

I guess I liked it more.

Yeah, Killshot isn't better than the book....

But how many are?

Agree, there are so many great EL books that could be filmed.

#748 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20494731

I guess I liked it more.

Yeah, Killshot isn't better than the book....

But how many are?

Agree, there are so many great EL books that could be filmed.

Here's a list...

Glitz (actually they made a Jimmy Smits TV movie on this one-I don't recall it, but I liked this novel)

Cuba Libre - This one should be made pronto...a great story.

Tishomingo Blues - This one would be fun.

Road Dogs - a sequel to Out of Sight

The Hot Kid

Pronto (a Raylan story that was made into a Peter Faulk TV movie---needs an update-actually they used some of this material in Justified)

Riding the Rap (another Raylan story...Justified used some of this one too, but with another setting)

If you wiki EL they list how many of his stories and novels have already been adapted...it's a long list. Get Shorty and Be Cool are classic films that follow the novels very well...certainly capture the spirit of EL. It's been years since I've seen Out of Sight, so I don't recall if it follows the novel...but I enjoyed that. Jackie Brown (Rum Punch) was a pretty decent Tarantino adaption.

#750 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/20494942

Here's a list...

Glitz (actually they made a Jimmy Smits TV movie on this one-I don't recall it, but I liked this novel)

Cuba Libre - This one should be made pronto...a great story.

Tishomingo Blues - This one would be fun.

Road Dogs - a sequel to Out of Sight

The Hot Kid

Pronto (a Raylan story that was made into a Peter Faulk TV movie---needs an update-actually they used some of this material in Justified)

Riding the Rap (another Raylan story...Justified used some of this one too, but with another setting)

If you wiki EL they list how many of his stories and novels have already been adapted...it's a long list. Get Shorty and Be Cool are classic films that follow the novels very well...certainly capture the spirit of EL. It's been years since I've seen Out of Sight, so I don't recall if it follows the novel...but I enjoyed that. Jackie Brown (Rum Punch) was a pretty decent Tarantino adaption.

Out of Sight IS out on BD and looks pretty good IMO.

In addition, the Get Shorty BD will be sold at Best Buy beginning Sunday.

The Jackie Brown BD was supposed to be out in June, but I think it may have been postponed.