AVS Forum banner
763K views 3K replies 431 participants last post by  kv1vega 
#1 ·
Rather than have people post calibration settings in the general owner's thread where they'll get buried, I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for calibration settings. I figure it makes sense to have people post their settings for both the D7000 & D8000 models since they essentially use the same panel. If anyone tries any of the settings that are posted here, please report back. It will be interesting to see how well the settings transfer between individual sets and sizes.

My PN64D8000 was calibrated by Gregg Loewen from Lion AV. He did a great job and kept me informed about what he was doing every step of the way. The gray-scale and colors ended up spot on.

Here are the settings that I ended up with after the calibration. I've also attached the before and after charts for reference.

Edit: I replaced my settings with the latest collaborative table that shows my settings along with settings from zoyd, cue03, and LarryInRI

TiVoHDzoydcue03LarryInRI
64D800051D800064D800064D7000
ModeMovieMovieMovieMovie
Peak White30ftL27.8ftL
Cell Light20152015
Contrast96809580
Brightness54545366
Sharpness0050
Color50505044
Tint50/5050/5050/5048/52
Black Toneoffoffoff
Dynamicoffoffoff
gamma-1-1-10
RGB Onlyoff
Flesh Tone000
Edge Enhanceoffoffoff
Motion Lightoffoffoff
xvYccoffoffoff
Color Tonewarm2warm2warm2
Digital Noiseoffoffoff
mpeg Noiseoffoffoff
Color Space
Red_r48394336
Red_g66650
Red_b65550
Green_r20201460
Green_g54505050
Green_b36120
Blue_r31340
Blue_g33020
Blue_b50414750
Yellow_r53514850
Yellow_g53515050
Yellow_b6752
Cyan_r17181520
Cyan_g52484946
Cyan_b52485146
Magenta_r47414440
Magenta_g8663
Magenta_b57484847
White Balance
r-offset26222528
g-offset25262522
b-offset22252522
r-gain13302528
g-gain25252524
b-gain29273024
10-point
r10-110
g10-100
b10011
r202-40
g201-30
b202-40
r31010
g30010
b30-200
r40100
g40010
b40-11-1
r5002-1
g51120
b52-331
r6-201-1
g60010
b60121
r71100
g72100
b72200
r8-2-1-10
g800-10
b801-10
r90-100
g92-100
b9-21-10
r100110
g102000
b10-23-30

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMercury /forum/post/0

There isn't anything special you should have to do to remember the settings. Are you sure your TV isn't in store mode rather than home?

Yeah, the only way to lose settings is by going into service mode and even then the CMS and WB don't reset.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20408139

If you were in Movie Mode when you made your changes, they should still be in Movie Mode now. Before going through all of the settings again, try to just change one thing (like cell light) and make sure that the TV is saving it. Are you sure the TV wasn't in 3D mode when you made the changes?

I've had this same problem, and yes, I was in movie mode when I changed the settings. One of the other users mentioned it, but basically if you go into a certain menu and then turn off the TV, it resets the picture settings for the mode that's currently selected. I've had it happen to me several times but cannot retrace what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/0

Yeah, the only way to lose settings is by going into service mode and even then the CMS and WB don't reset.

Service mode?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin /forum/post/20408172

I've had this same problem, and yes, I was in movie mode when I changed the settings. One of the other users mentioned it, but basically if you go into a certain menu and then turn off the TV, it resets the picture settings for the mode that's currently selected. I've had it happen to me several times but cannot retrace what I did.

Service mode?

Let us know if you figure out what is causing it. It would definitely be good to know so that we can avoid losing settings. I've heard that activating the Day/Night option on the D7000 can cause some volatility, but that's not even an option on the D8000.

Don't worry about the Service Menu. You really don't need to go in there for anything (unless you want to activate Day/Night on a D7000). As soon as you enter the Service Menu your settings get reset.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/0

Don't worry about the Service Menu. You really don't need to go in there for anything (unless you want to activate Day/Night on a D7000). As soon as you enter the Service Menu your settings get reset.

Oh, yes, I've already done that. I followed the post that was linked in this thread

But no, I've had it reset before I even knew how to access the service menu. Is it possible that unplugging the TV resets the picture settings? That's one thing I remember doing before encountering a reset.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20408191

Let us know if you figure out what is causing it. It would definitely be good to know so that we can avoid losing settings. I've heard that activating the Day/Night option on the D7000 can cause some volatility, but that's not even an option on the D8000.

Is there any way to activate the Day/Night option on the pn64d8000...

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV /forum/post/20408343

Is there any way to activate the Day/Night option on the pn64d8000...

I've heard that you need to do it with an RS-232 cable, but I don't know for sure. My calibrator recommended against enabling it because of the volatility it introduces. He's had a lot of customers frequently lose their settings with Day/Night enabled. Maybe that's why Samsung doesn't enable it by default.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20405478

Rather than have people post calibration settings in the general owner's thread where they'll get buried, I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for calibration settings. I figure it makes sense to have people post their settings for both the D7000 & D8000 models since they essentially use the same panel. If anyone tries any of the settings that are posted here, please report back. It will be interesting to see how well the settings transfer between individual sets and sizes.

My PN64D8000 was calibrated by Gregg Loewen from Lion AV. He did a great job and kept me informed about what he was doing every step of the way. The gray-scale and colors ended up spot on.

Here are the settings that I ended up with after the calibration. I've also attached the before and after charts for reference.

Those charts are very impressive! How long did it take Gregg to dial the display in? Did you have him work on 3D? Your basic settings look similar to what I'm using on the 59D7000. Gamma = -1 is perfect at night. I have gamma set to 0 during the day. I've increased sharpness for DirecTV, but have it lowered to 0 for high quality (bluray/1080p) sources.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/20408113

Darnit, can someone please tell me how to save picture settings? I did all the calibration last night, turned off the TV, and all my changes were gone in the morning. I was back to "Standard" mode with cell balance at 10. When I swiched back to movie mode (which is where I made all the calibration changes), but none of the changes were there, either.

Like others have mentioned, you should only lose picture settings if you

1) enter the service menu

2) perform a factory reset

3) upgrade the f/w (depends on the rev)

The settings are also independently assigned for each input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20408790

I've heard that you need to do it with an RS-232 cable, but I don't know for sure. My calibrator recommended against enabling it because of the volatility it introduces. He's had a lot of customers frequently lose their settings with Day/Night enabled. Maybe that's why Samsung doesn't enable it by default.

The only issue I've come across in the D-series models is that 3D doesn't function properly within the CAL presets.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas /forum/post/20408811

Like others have mentioned, you should only lose picture settings if you

1) enter the service menu

2) perform a factory reset

3) upgrade the f/w (depends on the rev)

The settings are also independently assigned for each input.

The only issue I've come across in the D-series models is that 3D doesn't function properly within the CAL presets.

4) have the TV in "store" mode instead of "home"

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas /forum/post/20408801

Those charts are very impressive! How long did it take Gregg to dial the display in? Did you have him work on 3D? Your basic settings look similar to what I'm using on the 59D7000. Gamma = -1 is perfect at night. I have gamma set to 0 during the day. I've increased sharpness for DirecTV, but have it lowered to 0 for high quality (bluray/1080p) sources.

It took Gregg about 2 and a half hours to get it calibrated. He said that's pretty typical time for a Sammy. He did take some measurements in 3D mode while holding the 3D glasses over the meter. My 2D settings were already so bright that he didn't end up changing anything for 3D. For anyone that's using 2D settings that have lower light output, they'll probably want to crank it up for 3D since the glasses block so much light.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20408851

It took Gregg about 2 and a half hours to get it calibrated. He said that's pretty typical time for a Sammy. He did take some measurements in 3D mode while holding the 3D glasses over the meter. My 2D settings were already so bright that he didn't end up changing anything for 3D. For anyone that's using 2D settings that have lower light output, they'll probably want to crank it up for 3D since the glasses block so much light.

Yeah, dynamic contrast will also help get more light out of the set. The only pro 3D settings I came across for last year's sets were put out by Thomas Norton.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-hdtv-settings

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 /forum/post/20408968

Interesting, so I guess upgrading my f/w was the reason why my TV mysteriously got set to Dynamic mode the other day or whatever it's called... lame.

Could be. I didn't lose my settings when I upgraded the f/w from 1006 to 1011, but it's always a possibility.

#67 ·
Hmm... ah well. I'm too in love with this TV to be worried about it. I'll just keep this thread handy in case I ever have to restore my settings.

BTW, I am loving your settings as my room is pretty well lit during the day, and in general I think I like a little brighter picture.

#68 ·
I always lose my settings when i turn on my ps3 or blu ray player and the tv will automatically switch to that input becaus i have anynet on. And when i switch back the source input back to tv where my calibrated settings are they are always changed back to default. I dont get it!!

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 /forum/post/20408993

Hmm... ah well. I'm too in love with this TV to be worried about it. I'll just keep this thread handy in case I ever have to restore my settings.

BTW, I am loving your settings as my room is pretty well lit during the day, and in general I think I like a little brighter picture.

I am also using Tivo's settings and they make my 51 D8000 look great! Any chance we can get you to do a calibration with game mode and a x360 or ps3 game system on? Game mode does help on the input lag issues so it is a must for any online game. Thanks again.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 /forum/post/20409077

I am also using Tivo's settings and they make my 51 D8000 look great! Any chance we can get you to do a calibration with game mode and a x360 or ps3 game system on? Game mode does help on the input lag issues so it is a must for any online game. Thanks again.

Ah crap you have input lag?! I haven't noticed any on my 64D8.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS84 /forum/post/20409093

Ah crap you have input lag?! I haven't noticed any on my 64D8.

Not a lot of lag, it is definitely faster than my LCD, but when you play first person shooters you need all the speed you can get. Try putting a game in and toggle the game mode on and off. I would be surprised if you dint notice a small decrease in lag when put in game mode. With games it can make all the difference.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 /forum/post/20409077

Any chance we can get you to do a calibration with game mode and a x360 or ps3 game system on? Game mode does help on the input lag issues so it is a must for any online game. Thanks again.

My calibration was done by a professional with a signal generator and a $24k meter, so I won't be able to do it again in game mode. I wouldn't expect that game mode would require different settings, but I use Movie Mode for everything. I've never noticed any input lag when playing Xbox 360 games.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD /forum/post/20409102

My calibration was done by a professional with a signal generator and a $24k meter, so I won't be able to do it again in game mode. I wouldn't expect that game mode would require different settings, but I use Movie Mode for everything. I've never noticed any input lag when playing Xbox 360 games.

Game mode swithces the tv from movie mode to standard and does not allow you to tweek the 10P White Balance. I also did not notice input lag until i tried game mode and compared the two. I dont have a meter or the savy on how to measure, but trust me you can tell.

I am going to try your settings minus the 10P white balance and hopefully that will improve the picture on game mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.