AVS Forum banner

2011 Kansas City Subwoofer Meet Results

69K views 552 replies 72 participants last post by  Archaea 
#1 ·
AVSForum Members,

A true thanks for sharing your perspectives, interest, and knowledge about audio/visual equipment. I've learned a ton on these forums and hope our event will give back to the community. The event was an absolute blast and an eye opener to peek in and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes! For me, was one of those experiences where you thought you had begun to understand what is out there in the subwoofer market, but I found I was exposed to something totally beyond what I knew -- at which point I just admit I'm still a novice. Despite owning a lot of different subs over the years, I've never been exposed to subs of the quality that we heard during the meet.

Each person who attended the meet has been asked to write up their subjective impressions of each of the subs, I hope each will take advantage to share their experience demoing a few community favorite subs side by side - it's a cool experience very few people have! Unfortunately not all our attendees could be present all day long - some had other responsibilities that they had to step in and step out for. The collective ranking scores will reflect this, as there will be some subs with more scores than others ---yet despite the distractions I do believe we have valuable information and impressions to share for the subwoofer enthusiast community!

The attendees were:

•echaot - Jenson MS500

•Archaea - Jamo D7 and Yamaha CW218V (The Yamaha was powered by an external American DJ V3000 amp)

•Chirpie - SVS PB-12 +

•counsil - Epik Empire

•Luke Kamp - HSU VTF-15H

•Randy Bessinger - Seaton Submersive

•carp - JTR Captivator

•Jeff Permanian - JTR Speaker's owner - made a special trip down to Kansas City and brought down a Captivator to its new owner, carp, so it could be present for the testing. Jeff did NOT participate in the voting nor measuring. He was solely there to watch and did not influence ratings nor audition in any manner!

Note: A couple of these subs/amps combos may not be final revisions. For instance the new SVS PB-Plus currently sold by SVS is an entirely new sub than what we tested. The new PB-Blus is a new amp, new driver, new box design, and our testing obviously only is valid for the ~5ish year old design that Chirpie owns. If there are other examples of this then people should let me know. I believe the Captivator was using the 4000 watt amp that Jeff sells as a kit, and the Seaton was using the newest Amp and DSP for the testing as well.

Here is our planning thread -
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328798

Day of the Meet!

We met at 10AM on Saturday Mary 14, the first step was just staging all the subs, in my room. With the exception of the Jamo, none of these subs were small. Nearly all weighed over 100lbs, and were all big boxes. My ~3500 cubic foot room quickly became quite cozy with eight extra subs, and all the extra equipment!

We decided as a group to state our expectations by actually giving the subs a "pre-audition" ranking. By that we intended to rank all the subs estimated final outcome. Good or bad? The hope was that this will help quell any idea of biases being hidden. It's all laid out there, up front. We didn't have the time to do a blind test as our event went until 10PM as it was!!! But the preconceived notions and expectations loosed up front will hopefully make the whole testing a bit more transparent to the reader. We also ordered the sub testing list in our expected ranking order. This order would ensure we didn't listen to an amazing sub first and then be absolutely bored to tears on a potentially lesser sub, thus giving less than our best attention to detail during the testing. Each person sat in the same chair for every demo making sure the comparison was as fair to each sub as possible. Here is a quick video of the room used for this sub shootout taken a few months back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNz7tj1BVs&NR=1

Chirpie took some additional pics and perhaps video that should show the room a bit better - see his post.

Here is the seating chart:

- Left Main -- Projector/sub -- Right Main -

----------------~10 foot-----------------

--- Randy - Echaot - Luke - Archaea ---

----------------~2 foot-----------------

--------Chirpie -- Jeff -- counsil ---------

----------------~10 foot-----------------

Randy and carp alternated in the front left seat as they both couldn't attend the full day session.

Equipment settings:

For all tests:

•Electrical outlets the subs were hooked to were 20 amp dedicated circuits

•Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver was used - Audessey, THX, and EQ settings were all disabled.

•Crossovers were set at 120hz across the board for both subs and speakers on the Onkyo. Main Speakers used were my modest Wharfedale Sapphire 89 towers.

•The Onkyo's built in level calibration test tone was used to match each subs gain to 75dB (matched to the mains) for the music tests using counsil's analogue spl meter. Winamp was used to play the individual mp3 clips that were trimmed using a free tool called mptrim. mptrim does not alter the mp3 at all except to trim out a section of a song. This is the track list exported into a single file - http://kiwi6.com/file/28ub13rh6w The receiver was set at -10dB on the volume dial for the music tests. This should be approximately -10dB from reference. For the music tests were were looking to see how the subs all sounded on a level playing field as far as volume. We graded them on Smoothness, Accuracy, Pleasure/Fun, and the ability to hit deep notes! The individual scores were totaled and averaged to determine a winner. For movie testing we increased the sub by +6 dB in the receiver settings (from -2.5 to +3.5) and left the gain on the sub alone (with the exclusion of the Yamaha, the Submersive and the Captivator. In these instances the gain on the subs was increased as well to show capability) Each sub owner was allowed to control the volume of his own sub so as to put the potential for damage by pushing limits in their own hands. In this section each of a series of movie clips was rated 1-5. The total scores were averaged to determine the winner. Obviously the groups selected winner in both music, and movies does not represent each person's unique individual opinion on the matter. There was some fun dialogue occurring after the Submersive and Captivator demos played for instance where there were advocates in both camps for which was "clearly" the better sub! People's opinions vary as you'll see in the individual score card posts!

•counsil, took the REW measurements at ground plane and seating position for each sub before each sub's music audition. In most cases nearly everyone left the room for these tests. It was a cold, windy day and on a few occasions a person or two would just stay inside and be quiet. Tune to his posts in this thread for details there on this process.

•counsil took spl measurements during all movie scenes and listed the max spl obtained (under the sub owners own tolerance for distortion or potential for damage)

Initial Subjective Rankings

Each person had one vote in this section. We ranked each sub from 1-8 in each category and we totaled the votes to come up with each sections winners. The higher the individual score the better the sub in that category. From the individual scores we came up with a "total" score. From the total score we established the overall ranking! Note the medal colors for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category based on total votes.

Here are the individual results, total score, and then the calculated rankings:

PreAudition Ranking: our unauditioned collective expectation of final rank

1. JTR Captivator

2. Seaton Submersive

3. HSU VTF-15H

4. Yamaha CW218V

5. Epik Empire

6. SVS PB-12+

7. Jamo D7

8. Jenson MS500

Scorecard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cosmetics/Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) Ranking: (fit, finish, size)

1. SVS PB-12 +

2. HSU VTF-15H

3. Epik Empire

4. Seaton Submersive

5. JTR Captivator

6. Jamo D7

7. Yamaha CW218V

8. Jenson MS500

Scorecard

Build Quality Ranking: (inert, heavy, durable, construction quality)

1. JTR Captivator

2. SVS PB-12 +

3. HSU VTF-15H

4. Seaton Submersive

5. Epik Empire

6. Yamaha CW218V

7. Jamo D7sub

8. Jenson MS500

Scorecard

Music List

The music demo list consisted of a short clip of each of the following songs. The original clips were played using winamp because it has a nice crossfading effect. Using winamp the playback has smooth transitions and continous music representing many different genres. I can provide the actual trimmed MP3's and the playlist in zipped format for anyone interested. Just PM me with your e-mail. If someone would host the clips for easy access that would be ideal. Here is a non crossfaded winamp output of the mp3's for someone just casually interested in the music we used to test these subs. http://kiwi6.com/file/28ub13rh6w
  1. Realm of Excursion - 100Hz to 20Hz Sine Sweep
  2. Rockapella - Shambala
  3. Diana Krall - Peel Me a Grape
  4. Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most
  5. Cake - Sad Songs And Waltzes
  6. Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
  7. Counting Crows - Hanging Around
  8. Creed - One
  9. Linkin Park - Frgt
  10. Janet Jackson - Go Deep
  11. Michael Jackson - Thriller
  12. Britney Spears - Breathe On Me
  13. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Who Am I (Whats My Name)
  14. Dr. Dre feat. Xzibit & Eminem - Whats The Difference Between Me and You
  15. Mya - Getto Superstar
  16. Eminem - Business
  17. Nelly - Country Grammar
  18. Lil Jon - Get Low
  19. Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On
  20. Nine Inch Nails - The Four of Us are Dying
  21. Flux Pavilion - Got 2 Know
  22. Example - Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix)

FINAL MUSIC RANKING:

The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall music reproduction ability:

1. Seaton Submersive

2. JTR Captivator

3. HSU VTF-15H

4. Epik Empire

5. SVS PB-12+

6. Yamaha CW218V

7. Jamo D7sub

8. Jenson MS500

Movie Test Material

The demo disk created by scubasteve2365 was used during our subwoofer testing. The War of the World DVD was used in a repeating loop as well for those subs that really didn't get enough torture in the first tests. Energyfun compiled it for me and mailed it for the meet. Thanks to both for their contribution -
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243227
  • War of the Worlds - pod emergence scene
  • Knowing - plane crash scene
  • Master & Commander - ship battle in fog
  • John Mayer - live recording of concert
  • Ironman - suiting up and sonic boom
  • Orphanage - erie house creaking
  • THX Amazing Life clip
  • Kung Fu Panda - skadoosh scene
  • Tron - first enters the digital word and the club entrace scene

FINAL MOVIE RANKING:

The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall movie watching enjoyment:

1. JTR Captivator

2. Seaton Submersive

3. Epik Empire

4. Yamaha CW218V

5. HSU VTF-15H

6. SVS PB-12+

7. Jenson MS500

8. Jamo D7sub

My subjective opinions were left out of this first informational post, they are contained in a post later down the page.

See less See more
#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass /forum/post/0

Several points:

notnyt's boxes are with 1 cube of the Caps box.

99.9999999% aren't interested in a system like not's, but 99.999999% are interested in a SM or a Cap? If so, let Jeff and Mark know ASAP.

I'm pretty much always in my right mind and have 3-120 Hz response, so maybe you're referring to a different no one.

It's not a matter of 2kw vs 4kw. That passive is -7dB at 20 Hz vs the powered. That's a factor of 5 times because from 30-80 Hz, where the AVRs calibration pink noise tone is, both subs are equal.

Sure, the EQ can be duplicated (but, not by 99.999999% of the population), but it wasn't there to be applied at the G2G, so I think you've missed my point altogether.

I'm not being flip. If a SubMersive, get the HP version. If the Cap, get the powered version. 'Most people' is an irrelevant argument. Most people, although I appreciate that you're apparently their spokesperson, will never have heard of, nor are they interested in buying either sub, much less consider the $500-1,000 options being discussed here.

Bosso

Who's missing whom's points?

notnyt's boxes are comparable to a cap. Right. The gorilla in the room of course is that there are four (?) of them at a cost of what, $2500 apiece without the amplification? Apples to apples, right?

I never said or remotely implied what you'e stating, not even close, actually. What I said was that it's ALL about compromise in the VAST majority of scenarios. Understanding this and assuming others are in their "right mind", none of them would expect 3-120hz performance. Just as I stated.

I won't bother getting into a pissing match over how imperative it is to double the cost of the Cap by including an amp that's eq'd. We know you know more than I and I'm sure I'd rather put my hand in a blender to begin with.

Still, Jeff makes the subwoofer in two variations for good reason and I suppose he respects his customers enough to allow them to make performance vs. cost decisions for themselves...imagine that.

Your futile attempt to extrapolate my 99.998% figure regarding compromise into something else like leveraging it against a serious hobbyist eq'ing their sub is baseless and a complete disconnect.

"most people". Again. The argument for which I've made abundantly clear (compromise) is completely and utterly relevant and I of course never neither stated nor alluded that "most" of any discipline would own anything in the discussion here. Another disconnect.

I'd love to side by side the powered and competently powered passive cap and witness the results. As I've already stated, their are numerous owners who seem to be beyond satisfied with their passive model, but of course an immediate context against the powered version would prove to be very useful for obvious reasons. I for one would welcome the comparo...I am fortunate to have both the space and time to do so.

If facing the fact that many (really the overwhelming majority of) enthusiasts will never even approach the levels of "bass-dom" of which you've espoused, but may be content with a few upgrades over the years bothers you so, I would suggest avoiding threads like this where words and phrases like "value", "dollar for dollar", "bang-for-the-buck" and other "compromising" terminology are (rightfully) used by those ignorant enough to believe they can be happy without (4) cabinets and $15,000 invested in bass reproduction.

I'm not usually in the business of reacting like this, but I suppose I just take offense to the implication that making decisions based upon factors you deem relevant in your own life- be them marital, monetary, or otherwise- is shortsighted.

I find nothing wrong with (can we agree here) a bit extreme scenarios like yours or noytn's, why prod at ours?

I don't want to wreck this thread so I'll just shut up and move on now.

James

#304 ·
i'm just curious where you're getting this notion that the powered cap isn't putting out a true 4000 watts

jeff the owner of JTR was there. maybe he can put this rumor"?" to rest ?

if the powered version is putting out a true 4000 watts, there's no more guess work, we don't have to say 1-3db, we can say by science if it's 1db 2db or 3db (3db being 1/2 a subwoofer by the way)

i'm also wondering what the outcome would have been if mark seaton was at the meet to tweak the submersive HP

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/20460697

Well that is a pretty subjective opinion, as someone else pointed out you would need a lot of empires to even keep up with the submersive in the ULF range. The subM is close to 18-20db more efficient than the empire at 10-15hz, you would need 6 empires to equal one subM for ULF.

Agreed. There are many characters that make up a great sub. ULF is one of them.

Quote:
For the no compromise people out there, the SubM is the way to go.

Out of all the subs I have heard to date, which I have auditioned dozens in the last 5 years, the SubM is the best I have encountered. Therefore I would have to agree.

Quote:
Also even though the sweeps were low dB, can we get some distortion measurements posted. I believe its pretty easy since the sweeps were allready performed with rew and its just reloading the results and a couple of clicks in rew. I could be wrong though.

Great. I attached the raw REW measurements to the first page. Hopefully someone will take the time to do this.

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/20460766

the sub M keeps going into single digits. of course you could EQ the empire down low but does it have the drivers and power to handle it ?

Agreed.

How long can a single SubM continue to push out those SPLs in those single digits? And if it did, how would it sound? I heard some pretty crappy noises coming from the SubM on the WOTW pod emerging scene when it was pushed.

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/0

i'm just curious where you're getting this notion that the powered cap isn't putting out a true 4000 watts

jeff the owner of JTR was there. maybe he can put this rumor"?" to rest ?

if the powered version is putting out a true 4000 watts, there's no more guess work, we don't have to say 1-3db, we can say by science if it's 1db 2db or 3db (3db being 1/2 a subwoofer by the way)

i'm also wondering what the outcome would have been if mark seaton was at the meet to tweak the submersive HP

I'm asking simply based upon the reality that a staggering number (really, the vast majority) of amplifiers do not even remotely meet their specs (see amp test thread in the diy section for ready reference). It's nothing personal against Jeff at all.

Good point on the Submersive, although I thought they're pretty dialed in from the start. (?) Remember the built-in eq'ing that is so essential? Jk!

James

#308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20460798

That "fellow AVS'r" was michman. The way I read his comparison, I don't think the Empires "bested the Submersive in pretty much all respects." I interpreted his results as the dual Empires were about as good as a single Submersive... for less money... in michman's opinion. There were also LOTS of questions about his methodology:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=michman

And, BTW, that "fellow AVS'r" hasn't been heard from since he did his comparo. That makes me a little suspicious.

There is enough speculation going on around here that I don't feel compelled to add to it. I would rather talk about my own experiences as I can vouch for them.

Quote:
However, no matter what michman found, your own measurements of the Empire and the Submersive show the clear difference between them:

The Empires start rolling off at just above 20 Hz, and they have a roll off pattern that is atypical for a sealed subwoofer. A typical sealed sub rolls off at 12 dB/octave. The Empire, in your measurements, rolls off at well over 24 dB/octave, (it's down 25 dB at 15 Hz and is off the bottom of the chart before 10 Hz.) This leads me to believe they have a infrasonic filter to protect the driver/amp.

You can add as many Empires as you like and you won't get a different low frequency extension. You'll get more output at the lower frequencies, but you won't be able to use it unless you use some boost below the -3 dB point. If Epik uses an infrasonic filter to protect the driver/amp, it's probably not a good idea to use boost on it. OTOH, the Seaton has the boost built in with it's 2 different DSP programs... AND it has the amplifier power and the driver excursion/durability to utilize it.

I'm sure the Empire has "outstanding midbass performance", (as stated on the Epic website), and it seems like a great value at it's pricepoint. However, it's not a bottom-dweller, and adding more doesn't change that.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own 3 Seaton Submersive HP's.

Craig

Edit: otk beat me to it.

Agreed. Not only did the Seaton exhibit great midbass, it also gave us a great dose of ULF which no other sub in the shootout possessed.

#309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil /forum/post/20462354

Agreed.

How long can a single SubM continue to push out those SPLs in those single digits? And if it did, how would it sound? I heard some pretty crappy noises coming from the SubM on the WOTW pod emerging scene when it was pushed.

you just said it was the best sub you ever encountered in your last post. obviously that's a good starting point. from there if you need more clean output due to larger room or taste, you just add more submersives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/20462357

I'm asking simply based upon the reality that a staggering number (really, the vast majority) of amplifiers do not even remotely meet their specs (see amp test thread in the diy section for ready reference). It's nothing personal against Jeff at all.

the same could be said about that $300 amp

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda /forum/post/20460982

As I recall, michman was overdriving the input stage of the old amp which he erroneously concluded as an inherent clipping problem with the SubM. This potential problem has been virtually eliminated with the new amp and dsp.

A phone consultation with Mark would have easily solved the problem but he wasn't too chatty given the fact he would not reveal his real name or identity to Mark.
Whoever michman was, he sent a friend to pick up the SubM in person.

Chris

Can we just stick to the facts? This all seems like speculation to me.

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/0

you just said it was the best sub you ever encountered in your last post. obviously that's a good starting point. from there if you need more clean output due to larger room or taste, you just add more submersives

That amp has been tested and verified make an abundance of power though...but you're right lol, it's beneath its ridiculous specs too. The $300 vs $1500 is the question. People can make their own determination if $400 per db is worthwhile to them. That's all I've maintained, really.

James

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/20462375

from there if you need more clean output due to larger room or taste, you just add more submersives

I understand, but those are very expensive subs. Well over $2000 each.

I paid $3200 (shipped, no tax) for quad Empires. They have never made a bad sound (which to me is just as important as ULF
) no matter what I have thrown at them. They are flat to 15Hz in my room. Why do need to extend to 3Hz to be considered good subs or even a good deal for that matter?

#313 ·
I for one really appreciate all the comments today. I think it is nice to have the knowledgeable stand up and contribute in current threads. It so hard to dig through threads and find old comments. It's nice to have continual input on topics that I am sure you guys have covered before.

I truly think everyone in this thread has helped me personally.

Counsil, your Submersive comment seems to go a long way, thanks.

Bossobass, are the types of subs you talk about available for purchase or are you talking about diy only, for the 3-120hz stuff?

KC guys, great thread. I really think having numerous active contributors here from the g2g really puts this thread over the top. Thanks.

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil /forum/post/0

I understand, but those are very expensive subs. Well over $2000 each.

I paid $3200 (shipped, no tax) for quad Empires. They have never made a bad sound (which to me is just as important as ULF
) no matter what thrown at them. They are flat to 15Hz in my room. Why do need to extend to 3Hz to be considered good subs or even a good deal for that matter?

You don't (need to extend to 3hz), and this is why I got bent out of shape. People have their own priorities and inevitably, limitations and act accordingly. I'm not accusing anyone in particular (and I'm really not) but some just seem to be unsettled by that fact.

I for one would be willing to bet the low end response in your room is fantastic even though it may never see a healthy 13, never mind 3hz.

I think sometimes we can all be a bit more prickly than we realize.

James

#315 ·

Quote:

Well, that what he is saying. Every amp in the testing thread never hit there specs so Mastermaybe is saying maybe the 4000 watt figure would not be 4000 watts. If it did use 4000 watts during the GTG then I would think it would be hitting much higher spl's. Maybe in a null? I did not see it at 20hz so it should have hit around 120 db's during WOTW but it did not. Was the meter set correctly? Maybe the battery was going bad?

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/0

Well, that what he is saying. Every amp in the testing thread never hit there specs so Mastermaybe is saying maybe the 4000 watt figure would not be 4000 watts. If it did use 4000 watts during the GTG then I would think it would be hitting much higher spl's. Maybe in a null? I did not see it at 20hz so it should have hit around 120 db's during WOTW but it did not. Was the meter set correctly? Maybe the battery was going bad?

Thanks mk, that's pretty much it. I was gonna bring up the SPL "thing" but it's been battered to near death in this thread and I didn't want to get the feathers ruffled all over again. Honest question though, IMO.

James

#317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/20462447

Was the meter set correctly? Maybe the battery was going bad?

Finally a question that I am answer definitively!
I used a brand new calibrated Galaxy CM-140 from Cross Spectrum Labs. I had just put in a brand new battery the day before the meet. I also took the liberty of using it in my own room just to make sure it was working properly.

#318 ·
I should have just added 10 dBs to all the readings. That would have made a lot of folks happy. Not only at the GTG, but here in the forums.

#319 ·

Quote:

Finally a question that I am answer definitively!
I used a brand new calibrated Galaxy CM-140 from Cross Spectrum Labs. I had just put in a brand new battery the day before the meet. I also took the liberty of using it in my own room just to make sure it was working properly.

Well that answers that. Now the question is: where's the 12-15dbs we should prolly expect out of this sub (verified by others as a matter of fact) in a room this size with 4,000 watts behind it?

My understanding was the Cap was pushed pretty far, particularly in the WOTW sequences.

Again, I think this is a fair question.

James

#320 ·

Quote:

I should have just added 10 dBs to all the readings. That would have made a lot of folks happy. Not only at the GTG, but here in the forums.

Funny, but I understand. I've read everything from poor placement to flexing walls. I suppose it could add up to 12-15 dbs.

Again, I've taken more away from the subjective elements than anything else, so I'm happy.

James

#321 ·
Actually, I can add some dBs to my readings. This is from my calibration report for my Galaxy CM-140...

Freq. Resp. (dB)

5 -25.83

6.3 -21.53

8 -18.55

10 -15.52

12.5 -12.28

16 -9.40

20 -7.13

25 -5.46

31.5 -4.24

40 -3.29

50 -2.49

63 -1.87

80 -1.47

100 -0.96

125 -0.61

160 -0.31

200 -0.29

250 -0.31

315 -0.20

400 -0.17

500 -0.11

630 -0.09

800 -0.05

1000 0.00

1250 0.02

1600 -0.19

2000 -0.04

2500 0.59

3150 1.30

4000 1.43

5000 2.07

6300 2.49

8000 2.30

10000 -0.13

12500 -4.20

16000 -9.10

20000 -13.17

25000 -17.73

#322 ·
Well there u go, counsil... Those are rather substantial from 30 on down.

Nice one. Now we'll all be "happier", lmao.

James

#323 ·
That came from my C-weighted calibration report. The meter was calibrated at a respectable SPL of 114dB.

#324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/20462541

Nice one. Now we'll all be "happier", lmao.

Absolutely... my Epiks just all of a sudden played 25+ dB louder at 5Hz.

#325 ·
lol

#326 ·

Quote:

There are a whole lot of things we can say about that $300 amp. It is probably the most vetted amp I've ever heard of. We know from independent tests how much power it puts into 2, 4, and 8 ohms in stereo and bridged modes from normal home circuits. We know it holds up strong enough into the infrasonics to make it good for subwoofer use. We know that it is the inexpensive darling of the DIY community because of it's high power/cost ratio and that we don't really hear very much about them failing in home use. We know they have a noisy fan and we know the solution for that problem. I can't think of any other amp, especially any plate amp that we can bet on for a specified delivered performance.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about all plate amps. Who ever actually takes them out of their enclosures and bench tests them? We almost always have to simply count on the sub's makers' output claims.

With that $300 amp, I know what I'm getting and what it will do under almost all conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.