AVS Forum banner
296K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  The Hornet 
#1 ·
Well I originally started this as a mid panel brightness settings thread, since I can't find a lot of research into settings that work for this brightness, but some others pointed out we have yet to get an "official" ST30 calibration thread going so let's just do it that way...

I'm like a lot of you in that Cinema looks good but only in low lighting, which really leaves something to be desired in the brightness area.

Problem is an expert calibrator once told me setting the panel to mid destroys the gamma and that it takes SM adjustments to compensate and even then you won't get the PQ of low settings.

So let's start a thread for those of us who wish to tinker with settings and see if we can come up with some good results...

I'll go first. I'm not an expert and you do what I did at your own risk. I followed the D Nice panel prep method found at the Site Which Shall Not Be Named which you can find HERE .

From out of the box straight to panel prep. Ran my TV for 100 hours straight, no normal viewing, on 1080p color slides (file included with this post), with D Nice's settings.

If you follow these settings exactly, the slides should be on a continual loop of 30 seconds per frame. I let that run from Monday to Friday.

Once done, I decided to use D Nice's post panel prep settings as my reference settings that I saved as default.

Currently I am trying settings with panel set to "mid" brightness. Started with these:

Custom

Warm1

off

off

off

Pro:

Normal

+7

+17

+7

+2

Black ext. +2

Gamma 2.4

Panel Brightness Mid

off

AGC 0

off

off

off

So how about you guys?

BreakIn_Images.zip 7.6904296875k . file

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps you could rename the thread title and just make it a general calibration thread for people to share their ST30 settings - using low and/or mid panel brightness - however they've calibrated.

Just a thought, as there doesn't seem to be a calibration thread for the ST30 and having everyone's settings in one thread is always a good idea and can be very helpful for other members.

#3 ·
That would kind of negate the point of my thread. There's plenty of material out there for low panel brightness settings but not much for mid. If anyone has good mid settings, or they would simply like to compare, then please feel free to post.

#4 ·
Yes, but you'd get a lot more calibration settings if you made it a general ST30 settings thread. Not many enthusiasts (i.e. forum members) are using mid for the reasons D-Nice, Chad B, etc have already mentioned in their reviews.

It was just a suggestion. Hopefully some people will chime in.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20509481

Perhaps you could rename the thread title and just make it a general calibration thread for people to share their ST30 settings - using low and/or mid panel brightness - however they've calibrated.

Just a thought, as there doesn't seem to be a calibration thread for the ST30 and having everyone's settings in one thread is always a good idea and can be very helpful for other members.

+1.

That would be good.

I will be getting my panel shortly as it was hopefully shipped today.

After burn-in 100hrs with evangelo2's slides. i will throw D-'s reference settings in and see how she goes.. as he said.. you have to follow his directions that are posted over at hd-j forums to a T. if you want the results within +/- a few % pts.

although we aren't allowed to post these settings.. gustapo says so.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20388591

If your using D-Nice try these combined with his settings.

Gamma 2.2

MID Panel Brightness

Contrast 70

Color 37

or

Gamma 2.4

Mid Panel Brightness

Contrast 70

Brightness 56-57

Color 37

Everything else is D-nice settings, those are the 2 alts I use sometimes.

I found these settings in the ST30 owners thread and I've been using them for the most part. I think bottom one with gamma 2.4 looks outstanding.

#9 ·
Found the following setup on CNET. Seems a little extreme (-50 white balance on high reds?) but I'll try it tonight to see for myself. Also a little unsure of the High panel brightness...sometimes I find even Mid to be too much.

--Picture menu

Picture mode: Custom

Contrast: +80

Brightness: +59

Color: +32

Tint: -1

Sharpness: +20

Color temp: Warm 2

Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]

Photo enhancement: [grayed out]

C.A.T.S.: Off

Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu

Color space: Normal

W/B high R: -50

W/B high G: -49

W/B high B: -26

W/B low R: +6

W/B low G: +1

W/B low B: -6

Black extension: 0

Gamma adjustment: 2.4

Panel brightness: High

Contour emphasis: Off

AGC: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu

Screen format: Full

HD size: Size 2

H size: [grayed out]

Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu

3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]

Color matrix: HD [grayed out]

Block NR: Off

Mosquito NR: Off

Motion smoother: Off

Black level: Light

3:2 pulldown: On

24p Direct in: 60Hz

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20509481

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/20510192

+1.

That would be good.

I will be getting my panel shortly as it was hopefully shipped today.

After burn-in 100hrs with evangelo2's slides. i will throw D-'s reference settings in and see how she goes.. as he said.. you have to follow his directions that are posted over at hd-j forums to a T. if you want the results within +/- a few % pts.

although we aren't allowed to post these settings.. gustapo says so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiepimpin /forum/post/20510553

+1. Interested to hear how other st30 owners using mid-level panel brightness are setting the other picture controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoeIII /forum/post/20511917

+1

definitely want to see what people are using...I alternate between low and mid, depending on ambient lighting.

Done...
Although I can't seem to change the thread title...

#15 ·
Whatever this thread ends up being titled I'm glad that someone finally created it. I had asked about what settings ST30 owners were using in the mian thread with no replies so maybe this one will be more useful. Although the professional calibrators swear by the low panel setting, personally, I loathe it in any kind of ambient lighting conditions. It tamps the picture's vibrancy down so much that it feels like I'm looking at a screen that is starting to go to its maker. I must admit that I'm disappointed in Panasonic's insistence on limiting the luminance and gamma output in the ST's Cinema and the GT's THX modes they way that it does. Maybe they feel that owners of their plasma sets only watch Blu-rays in a completely dark environment? That's not very realistic to me. HDTVs are, first and foremost, televisions and I don't know many people who do their routine network or cable viewing in a dark movie theatre-like environmemt. I'm pretty much committed to using the custom mode with a 2.2 or 2.4 gamma setting and a mid panel level. While the image is clearly more lively however, the calibrators may be right about the lack of color accuracy and fidelity. I've been grappling with various combinations of the various video settings including the six white balance values and have yet to settle on a consistently good "set it and forget it" group of video settings, espcially for cable. I have yet to see that someone has gone into the ST30's service menu to play with the drive offsets as was common with the GT25 series. Has anyone seen this to this point?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyridr /forum/post/20516413

The CNet settings were God awful IMO.

When I saw those extreme changes in the White Balance settings I had a "WTF" reaction. For laughs and giggles I did try them and concluded that the CNET people must have a visual problem. They were pretty bad. It's why I pay little attention to CNET reviews at times.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20520930

You have to click "advanced" when editing post #1 and then you can change the title.

I did and it changes the sub-title but not the main title you see on the forum list...not sure why or how to change that...

#18 ·
So you clicked on post #1, clicked "edit", clicked "go advanced" and then updated the title and saved your changes, right?

I just did this on a thread I started a couple of weeks ago and it changed the thread's title just fine.

EDIT: I was wrong - it only changed the subtitle - not the title as it appears in the list of forum threads. I'm thinking the title can only be changed for a certain period of time - after that a moderator has to do it.

Hmmm...perhaps you could click on the "Report post" link on post #1 and report yourself (haha) and ask that a moderator change the title for you? That's the only idea I have at this point. If you report the post it will be flagged for the moderators and they'll have to read your comments.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyridr /forum/post/20516413

The CNet settings were God awful IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 /forum/post/20522508

When I saw those extreme changes in the White Balance settings I had a "WTF" reaction. For laughs and giggles I did try them and concluded that the CNET people must have a visual problem. They were pretty bad. It's why I pay little attention to CNET reviews at times.

Ha ha... I tried them for kicks and I actually like them. Mind you, I'm a proud non-videophile.

I'll try the 2.4 gamma mid-brightness settings in post #8.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20525452

Hmmm...perhaps you could click on the "Report post" link on post #1 and report yourself (haha) and ask that a moderator change the title for you? That's the only idea I have at this point. If you report the post it will be flagged for the moderators and they'll have to read your comments.

I just pm'd a mod so we'll see...

#26 ·
I've googled but I can't seem to find what d-nice settings are, at least not on an avs forum, can someone help me out with this? I just bought the set today and I am running the burn in process right now. Would love to have some day settings such as the OP's and some night settings(D-Nice). Any help is appreciated :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.