AVS Forum banner

PNxxD550 advanced calibration unlocked!/Calibration Thread

258K views 779 replies 183 participants last post by  jack54 
#1 ·
Welcome!

For Posterity in this thread.. if you could post your firmware version and country purchased as well. that would be great! My firmware is 2011/02/11_001007.(CAN) you can check the firmware version from "menu, support---software upgrade"

The D550 series is IMO the best panel for the PQ/BUCKS! It has virtually the same panel as the higher end models of the Samsung '11 lines. Series 5,6,7,8.

The only thing the 6,7,8 series have is AR filter/RealBlackFilter/10pt Calibration/Smart TV Functions.

We now have a way to unlock the 10point advanced calibration on our awesome mid range TV's in the D550 series. This makes IMO our sets a high range set. With this we can have virtually the same PQ as the highest end set. Better color accuracy and grayscale.

I am not talking about blacks... that is another thing.. but imo it's totally subjective unless you have the panels side by side.. and even then.. i think it's 50% wishfull thinking and 50% placebo. lol..

anyways..

onto the instructions.. eh?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I, AND NO-ONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MISHAPS WITH YOUR SET.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn off display and punch in the following "Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - Power" to enter service menu.

Enter the Option menu.

Highlight the set name it should say D550. click left until you come upon D7000. Select it and then exit option menu back to main menu.

Now if you want you can enable Cal-Day, Cal-Night. this will give you 2 more picture modes so you can store some more settings for PQ.

it is in the Expert menu. Enable the d/n and then exit to main menu.

Now shut off display. and turn back on.

You now have extra options as the d7000 d6500/d6900 d8000 have.

The only catch is.. the hdmi ports get muddled and you have to crossmatch them for them to work.. crossmatching is explained below.. basically you need all 4 ports plugged in for crossmatching to function 100% and give you all ports working fine.. if you don't have access to 4 devices to use hdmi with.. then you can use the "idle port" fix that is explained below and in this thread as well. previously it was thought that you couldn't have all ports working maybe only 3 and the using of the idle port.. but when full crossmatching is applied.. the is totally negated and we can indeed use all 4 ports fine and dandy!

The HDMI ports get crossmatched to the port names in the source menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossmatching Explained.. Further information about Idle ports and Crossmatching to obtain and use all 4 ports on your SET

Crossmatch the ports you need.. Note--((the ps3 on my set when turned off ceases to function via HDMI this causes a break in the chain and screws ups the crossmatch/idle port. (total crossmatching Gives you the total use of all 4 ports)

Idle port still applies if you are using say 2 or 3 its essentially still a crossmatch because you need the opposite side for it to work *idle port* and if you crossmatch the idle port.. the idle port will function.. and so on and so forth.

In this thread. the term crossmatching is used to denote the unusual problem we have when needing a port to function correctly. you need a matched port on the other side.. (cross-match). the crossmatching is normally fine because we usually have all the devices on and plugged in via hdmi in the chain and of course having the (idle port).. so if all devices function correctly and the idle port is working then crossmatching is fine.

but.. when you have an idle port and another link in the chain(ps3-hdmi) that turns off.. it can cause issues with crossmatching. (e.g. the port crossmatching to the ps3 will cease to function.. causing a chain problem...

this can be moot if you just crossmatch the port to an port that doesn't need to be used all the time.. and again.. this may not be an issue to all.. and just my bug.

it's just good to hash this out.. i was going to post more about the crossmatching but needed to figure out some more things first. now i have posted it we can see what if any other issues we have.

you an see the crossmatch for your ownself by plugging in each port via hdmi. then checking all sources. now unplug each one and you see that they are all matched to one another.

The crossmatching theory that i have found negates the idle port.. because if you have all 4 ports plugged in and HOT WIRED to a LIVE SOUCE... All Ports Function Fine!

Hence the Crossmatching.

so... there it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need 2 HDMI plugged in to have 1 HDMI. You need 3 HDMI plugged in to have 2 Sources. and last but not least.. you need 4 HDMI plugged in to have 3 sources..

This is the catch.. it's not a big deal.. because with HDMI splitters and AVR's.. it isn't a problem.. but for some it may be an issue.. You have to have an actual HDMI LIVE WIRE plugged in.. as in it has to be SOURCE TO SOURCE.

For instance.. i have my devices as so.

HDA1-HD DVD player. Plugged into port 2. it shows up in menu as port 4

I have my PS3 plugged into port 3 and it shows up as port 2 in menu.

I have my pc plugged into port 4 and it shows up in menu as port 1 DVI/PC.

Now because of the crossmatch between ports.. We in this thread have determined that you need what we have coined as an IDLE port.

My "idle" port is port 1 on the back of the unit. It presumably would have been port 3 but i haven't tested it as i have no sources left.. It is simply plugged into the "HDMI OUT" port on my AVR. I have currently decided to matrix all the sound to 2.1 through my AVR via Optical from my TV. This is easier for me now.. when i get a better AVR and Better Player e.g Top of the line Samsung, or the like with Analogs.. i an do HD sound.. but it is what it is..

I dug around the threads and found these to be my favorite settings for the set.

They were from the d8000 calibration thread you will no doubt parse and see below.

The set was calibrated by CHAD. He is a very good calibrator by virtue of his reputation on AVS and elsewhere.

Here are my Advanced Calibration Settings.

Mode:Movie

-------------

Cell Light---20

Contrast---95

Brightness---53

Sharpness---5 (((I prefer 20)))

Color---50

Tint---50/50

Black Tone---off

Dynamic---off

Gamma--- *(-1)* I prefer 0 or +1 i think it was calibrated for very dark room?

Rgb Only---off

Flesh Tone---0

Motion Light---off

xvYcc---off

Color Tone---warm2 (i prefer warm1) Standard for 3d settings.

Digital Noise---off

Mpeg Noise---off

I choose to run cinema smooth for BD's.

----------------

Color Space

_______

Red_r-----43

Red_g-----6

Red_b-----5

_______

Green_r-----14

Green_g-----50

Green_b-----1

_______

Blue_r-----3

Blue_g-----0

Blue_b-----47

_______

Yellow_r-----48

Yellow_g-----50

Yellow_b-----5

_______

Cyan_r-----15

Cyan_g-----49

Cyan_b-----51

_______

Magenta_r-----44

Magenta_g-----6

Magenta_b-----48

White Balance

----------------

r_offset-----25

g_offset-----25

b_offset-----25

r_gain-----25

b_gain-----25

g_gain-----30

10 Point Calibration

-----------------------

r1--------(1

g1-------(0

b1-------(1

r2-------(-4

g2-------(-3

b2-------(-4

r3-------(1

g3-------(1

b3-------(0

r4-------(0

g4-------(1

b4-------(1

r5-------(2

g5-------(2

b5-------(3

r6-------(1

g6-------(1

b6-------(2

r7-------(0

g7-------(0

b7-------(0

r8-------(-1

g8-------(-1

b8-------(-1

r9-------(0

g9-------(0

b9-------(-1

r10-------(1

g10-------(0

b10-------(-3

For 3d. I use this mode. but turn on dynamic contrast to high. black level to max. make sure the gamma is +1 and brightness is at 60.

Hope this works for u.

It took me 2 hours to calculate and find all these things and type out.

enjoi. and please keep this thread alive and post!!! and contribute.

Hopefully we get more interest in this and lots more folks.

I will post Blwn's settings and others below soon. so we can hopefully get some good info and contrast between what we find good with our advanced calibration settings for this set.

See less See more
#2 ·

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 /forum/post/20535202

thats awesome, they are the same panels so i figured something like this would be possible.

got the picture wicked..

i copied cue03's settings from this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333561

he had his set ISF calibrated by chad.

i tweaked the gamma a bit and the sharpness.. it's fricked great! good on blu ray and hd-dvd.

i am using different settings for dvd though.

#6 ·
port 2 is 4

port 3 is 2

you have to have port 4 plugged in to another device for some reason or your device in port 3 doesn't work.

so if you do this.. you get phenomenal PQ with calibration.. Better Color Accuracy.

but you lose 2 ports of HDMI? maybe you get 3 ? and the 3rd is crossed too?

i just have 3 deviced hooked up.

HD DVD PS3 and my HTPC.

i don't need my HTPC so much..

so i am fine with 2 ports..

I think though if i have another device plugged in. i might get 1 more port crossed like i said above.. i haven't tried it though. might do this so i can have another port.

of course.. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS>> duh!

Use ur head. common sense.. don't go fluking around the SM .. all i did was change the Panel Device Name.

And Enabled D/N so i have 2 more modes and more calibration choices.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 /forum/post/20535368

when i get my 59d550 ill so try out those settings. I'll still probably have chad come calibrate it tho cause there is variations between sets. I live near him in ohio though so i dont have to wait for one of his tours. How do you access the service menu?

Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - Power

Change the Panel name in OPTION.

where you see D550

highlight it and change to left or right until you cycle through the diff panels. chose d6500 d6900 or d7000 all will have the extra expert modes and 10 pt calibrations.

go into EXPERT to enable Day/Night Day-CAL and Night-CAL for 2 extra custom modes so you can have 3 custom calibrations to test/choose from.

#8 ·
These settings are Great!! They are from LarryInRI in the d7000 calibration thread.

I am using these and Cue03's

Movie mode

Cell light 15

contrast 80

brightness 62

sharpness 10

color 48

tint 50/50

black tone off

dynamic off

gamma 1

flesh tone 0

edge enhance off

motion lighting off

xvYcc off

color tone warm2

digital noise off

mpeg noise off

color space

Red_r 100

Red_g 90

Red_b 80

Green_r 100

Green_g 20

Green_b 0

Blue_r 65

Blue_g 0

Blue_b 87

Yellow_r 0

Yellow_g 100

Yellow_b 0

Cyan_r 100

Cyan_g 40

Cyan_b 50

Magenta_r 79

Magenta_g 81

Magenta_b 55

White Balance

r-off 28

g-off 22

b-off 22

r-gain 27

g-gain 22

b-gain 22

10-pt

r1 0

g1 0

b1 1

r2 -1

g2 0

b2 0

r3 -1

g3 0

b3 0

r4 -1

g4 0

b4 0

r5 -2

g5 0

b5 1

r6 -2

g6 1

b6 0

r7 0

g7 0

b7 0

r8 -2

g8 0

b8 2

r9 1

g9 0

b9 -1

r10 0

g10 1

b10 -1

#9 ·
Even out of the box,the Pq of the d550 is phenomenal!....now all settings unlocked i just cant hold my breath as how awussom it would look....aside from some glare issue(which btw has been blown out of proportion) ... the d550 can easily be claimed as the most vfm BEST tv of the year!

#10 ·
WOW!!!! the Color Accuracy is CRAZY NOW!!!!!

The real black filter/// lol... is just an AR Filter that preserves blacks in Light and reduces Glare..

From what i have seen now..

My Set is pretty much a 7000 now without the stupid filter.. *which i could care less about because i got a light controlled room... and less the smart apps.. but that's why i have a HTPC and PS3... W00t!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Fanboy /forum/post/20535761

^^ & remember with that esstupid filter will come the peeling !

yes tis true.

but if you can re-arrange your living room and have a total light controlled room to suit it.. then it's the best buy IMO.

have you unlocked the set for d6900? and tried the settings above.?

it's beautiful after calibration of the 10pt system.

#14 ·
Did somebody know a way to access the normal user OSD while the Service Menu is still accessible or change the picture mode somehow else?

I tried to calibrate my WB from the SM but I faced the problem that the TV switches to Dynamic mode when you start it with the SM access method. And my WB settings doesn't seem to be accurate for the Movie mode.

But I think it doesn't matter anymore if I will be able to use the "10p" from the user OSD which is not accessible from the SM...

----

Otherwise, it helped me a bit when I reconfigure the last 6 values of the ADC Results: Just display a full-screen 0% black image from a HDMI device and play with the values: you want to hit the highest numbers which let the black to remain black (do it in a perfectly dark room because the very first "gray level" -dithering noise which probably starts with red dots- is sill very dark). The usual result is only two numbers, each used three times (like 174-174-174-8-8-8).

#15 ·
Ok,

Cue03's is the best picture quality out of all IMO.

I have tried many.

Try Cue03 settings

but change the sharpness to 20

the gamma to +1

So

My Sources are the following with this Edit Mod.

I have HD DVD on on port 2 it shows up as on port 4

I have PS3 on port 3 it shows up as port 2

i also have my laptop hooked to port 4. without it I don't get port 2 working. which is port 4.

Ps3 works because it's plugged into port 3 and it shows up as port 2.

now if i had something plugged into port 3. i assume port 4 would be port 3

lol, its all pretty confusing.. the great part is though... i have all my devices labeled and connected.

I also have my component hooked up for HD SAT.

and both my USB ports function with external HDD on port 1 and USB 2gb Key on 2

all good.

that is my perfect setting.

Cue03's settings that were calibrated by CHAD are in the link a few posts above this one.

#21 ·
did u read the thread?

it works fine.

you have to have 2 or more hdmi for this to work.

it works fine though.

i can 100% attest to this.. with full calibration.

they get crosses so if you have 2 plugged in.. you need 4.. and then you an have 2 and 3 and 4.

to have 2 and 3 capiche?

#25 ·
Does anybody know how HDMI devices detect when they are attached to another inactive (fully powered off) devices?

Isn't it as simple to fake it as connecting two pins directly or with a small resistance?

I know it is possible to fake a display on the DVI port of a VGA card, but that could work in analog mode and I used a DVI->D-sub adapter, so I am not sure what should I do with HDMI.

#26 ·
ok so what you are saying exgo with 2 sources you plug them in hdmi port 2 and 4 on the tv? Than you can plug a third in port 3 on the tv? Does hdmi port 1 work too?

or you saying the thing you plug in port 4 doesnt actually work it just enables port 2 and 3 to work so port 1 and 4 dont work but port 2 and 3 do work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.