AVS Forum banner

2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread

270K views 2K replies 192 participants last post by  biggertv.com 
#1 ·
Specs are still subject to change replaces 73638 and Mitsubishi will only offer this 73 in the "640" line NO 60,65,82 or 92

Smooth 1,000 Film Motion

1080p

3D TV w/ emitter jack & DLP link

2D+ Depth (2D>3D conversion)

3 HDMI Inputs

6-Color Processor

2 Advanced Calibration Modes

Basic Remote

I will post more info as it becomes available, I only want to post Accurate info!

Should be available in mid June.

See less See more
#2 ·
i'll bump this up to present date here. is anyone bothering with buying this dlp this year? i'm still on a 7 year old dlp. i haven't bothered with updating but the price on this 73" is probably near a grand i'm guessing. Is it worth it going for this dlp or is the clear contrast screen more worth it? my tv has the clear window screen and not the sandblasted non glare screen of later mitsubishi tvs. i love the clear screens but man i can't afford the 840 and above models. i noticed on the mitsu site that there is a 740 series. no clue what that is about.

#3 ·
Link to Basic Owner's Guide .

I had been trying to decide between the 73" 638 and 738 2010 models and was having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

The 638 is just a basic TV and had a few hard-to-live-with features for me;

-Video processor not as good as the 738 series. Best to only send it 1080p

-Must use 3D adapter that costs a couple hundred dollars (unless sending

the one format the TV accepts)

-No discrete input codes for universal remotes (I have a harmony one)

The 738 series has;

-A better video processor with advanced calibration settings if needed

-All popular 3D formats where accepted without external equipment

-Discrete input codes for universal remotes

The price on the 738 series was worth it if you plan on doing 3D because you didn't have to buy the adapter. If not doing 3D then you were paying for extra features you may not use, like the internet apps which I do not care for.

The new 640 series seems to be the best of both worlds for ME.

-has advanced picture controls (manual doesn't go into detail)

so I hope the video processor is at least as good as the 738 series

-3D setup same as 738 series

-Discrete input codes for universal remotes is unknown, but I'm hoping

that it's as good as the 738 series

-FOR ME, no extra frills like internet apps. The downside to this is using a

USB drive for firmware updates, but a TV with these features shouldn't need

one very often.

-Has a new cosmetic design which I hope means a better screen mount

because the 73" 638/738 series seemed to have the most geometry issues.

That's my take anyway. Seems like it might be the TV for me. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing some real-life feedback from owners.

Rob

#4 ·
i called walts tv this morning and they didn't have a definite date of the 640's arriving but it'll be later in the month. i'm hoping the geometry issues have been fixed too. too bad they didn't put the clear contrast screen in all models not just the higher ups. maybe you can find spare parts somewhere and install it yourself.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested /forum/post/20547571

i called walts tv this morning and they didn't have a definite date of the 640's arriving but it'll be later in the month. i'm hoping the geometry issues have been fixed too. too bad they didn't put the clear contrast screen in all models not just the higher ups. maybe you can find spare parts somewhere and install it yourself.

Here's the link to the press release with pricing and the differences.
Click Me

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested

Still in Final Test should start landing in stores in 7 to 10 days

Steve

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg /forum/post/20547478

I had been trying to decide between the 73" 638 and 738 2010 models and was having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

The 638 is just a basic TV and had a few hard-to-live-with features for me;

-Video processor not as good as the 738 series. Best to only send it 1080p

-Must use 3D adapter that costs a couple hundred dollars (unless sending

the one format the TV accepts)

-No discrete input codes for universal remotes (I have a harmony one)

The 738 series has;

-A better video processor with advanced calibration settings if needed

-All popular 3D formats where accepted without external equipment

-Discrete input codes for universal remotes

The price on the 738 series was worth it if you plan on doing 3D because you didn't have to buy the adapter. If not doing 3D then you were paying for extra features you may not use, like the internet apps which I do not care for.

The new 640 series seems to be the best of both worlds for ME.

-has advanced picture controls (manual doesn't go into detail)

so I hope the video processor is at least as good as the 738 series

-3D setup same as 738 series

-Discrete input codes for universal remotes is unknown, but I'm hoping

that it's as good as the 738 series

-FOR ME, no extra frills like internet apps. The downside to this is using a

USB drive for firmware updates, but a TV with these features shouldn't need

one very often.

-Has a new cosmetic design which I hope means a better screen mount

because the 73" 638/738 series seemed to have the most geometry issues.

That's my take anyway. Seems like it might be the TV for me. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing some real-life feedback from owners.

Rob

I was just looking at the WD-73638 and thinking about getting one when I noticed your comment about the 640 having a better video processor and some of the other 738 features.

The 638 is going for $1200 delivered right now on close out with the 738 about $150 more. How much is the WD-73640 going to be when it drops? If it goes for more than $1350 you might want to consider getting a 738. Sounds like it has everything you want and you can just ignore the internet apps.

I'm teetering back and forth between the 638 and 738 myself. I'm going to search for more insight on the video processor differences. I figure the new stands will probably end up being more when they first come out, as well. Anyone know what the selling price of the 640 (and its stand) will be out of the gate?

Thanks,

Uncle D

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_D /forum/post/20552963

I was just looking at the WD-73638 and thinking about getting one when I noticed your comment about the 640 having a better video processor and some of the other 738 features.

The 638 is going for $1200 delivered right now on close out with the 738 about $150 more. How much is the WD-73640 going to be when it drops? If it goes for more than $1350 you might want to consider getting a 738. Sounds like it has everything you want and you can just ignore the internet apps.

I'm teetering back and forth between the 638 and 738 myself. I'm going to search for more insight on the video processor differences. I figure the new stands will probably end up being more when they first come out, as well. Anyone know what the selling price of the 640 (and its stand) will be out of the gate?

Thanks,

Uncle D

I am in the same boat. Don't care about 3D adapter and internet apps but do care about the video processor. Deciding between 638 and 738 and now 640.

#10 ·
my toshiba 72mx195 finally crapped out over the weekend, and i'm looking to buy this product immediately. The catch is that i'm in canada.. has anyone found out where to buy this product in canada? And if I can get it in canada, where's the cheapest place to buy it from online in the states? I want to get this thing set-up asap and i'll post my feedback in here.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_D /forum/post/20552963

Thanks,

Uncle D

The other thing I'm waiting to see on the 640 is geometry issues.

The 73" 638/738 have had a lot of complaints about geometry issues. Much more than the other sizes.

My take is that the 60", 65", and 73" share the same screen mounting system. Since the 73" is the largest, it pushes the limits and we see more screen sag/bulging/whatever. I believe this because the 82" has different, read as better, mounting system and a lot fewer complaints.

On the 2011 models, the 73" is the smallest of the line and I am hoping we will see much better geometry reports. So I plan on waiting to see. That is unless a clearance sale gets so good I just can't pass it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.