AVS Forum banner

CRE X1000 Worlds First 3 LED 3 LCD 1080p Projector..Anybody heard of these guys?

224K views 1K replies 107 participants last post by  Verge2 
#1 ·
#605 ·
mjg100 My customs reciept (with box & packaging) has it a at 5kg.

Ok action jackson has made some great points for which to investigate.

I am not entirely sure, but I believe this projector only has one fan, being the exhaust.

i tried putting my ear next the vents but just heard the buzzing of the projector.

The air filters are a little puzzling as i dont think there is a filter for the front at all, ive only seen 2 on each side.

with one filter being very small.

Whats more, behind the large filter, through the grill, there is no physical fan there that i can see ,leaving only the circuit componants it is protecting.

Now for some people, this may be awful news, but i`m not worried.

I know an elaborate heatsink when i see one & disagee that inside the x1000 looks like regular projector.

Stuff like this is found on high end pc componants like the g skill eco series that i have in my pc

When i built my PC last year, i inspected all the reviews at the time to get quality green parts for my core I-7 & at that time the heatsink that outperformed convential fan assisted processor heatsinks was the prolimatech-megahalems , a fanless CPU cooler that relies on the case fans.

Despite its looks it pretty light.

Also the same thing is found high end PC graphics cards ensure similar type heat dispensators

This is just a quick example, theres ones that dont look as bulky as this one.

Anyways, ive had the projector running out of the cool box, its been on for about an hour. In couple of hours i`ll take a temperature reading from 6 inches way of the exhaust, i`m expecting it be under 40 celcius

#606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler /forum/post/20543448

Every projector I have opened up looks very similar to this. You can see almost nothing without furthur taking it apart. All CRE did was take the case off or split it. Really seeing everything requires much more work. It was never the taking it apar thtat got to me; it was if I was going to to be able to get it back together and have it work correctly.

The fact that the company even sent photos and answered the questions is amazing.

Except for the LCD Block itself after the 3 LED's it Looks nothing like any of the Projectors I have taken apart. This thing has more Fins than a school of Bluefish! It's pretty apparent that they want to rely on quieter passive cooling instead of high speed fan related heat removal. Those are some serious heat tubes!! Much like the ones that high performance CPU's use. The rows of transistors on top of the heat sink adjacent to the fan are new to me as well. My guess is they are for the three independent high power LED's.

As I suspected there is no traditional light tunnel with its mirrors and lenses.

Bohanna

#607 ·
After looking at this thing for another 20 minutes or so I believe that there are 4 heat sinks ,,, three for the LED's and a HUGE one for the power supply. ,,,, It looks like the fan draws from the outer surrounding sinks and vents out the back. If it were me I would put two additional small fans inside the case. One at the left side next to the heat sink sucking in air and the other on the other side or the front end of the factory fan sucking air in as well. This way the air making its way out the rear would be assisted and the two LED heat sinks not currently with fans would be better cooled and not have to relying on the single fans Ventura. I'm not saying that it currently has a poor cooling system BUt If I had my way it would be better.
Bohanna

#608 ·
Power LED's must be kept cool. That is why they must have massive heatsinks.

Go pickup a $55 CRE LED light bulb at Home Depot. Even though rated at only 11-13 watts, it requires a massively heavy heat-sink. Regular sockets were not designed for this weight.

So projector manufactures have a large redesign and new learning curve when switching to LED's. With troubled economies most companies will not commit the funds for the redesign. This is an opportunity for China which they are taking advantage of.

The Mitsubishi 4000 UHP weights in at six pounds! What does the the CRE 1000 weight SMJ?

#610 ·
That main filter is massive! The two projectors that I have had experience with had tiny filters that were so course that you could see through them. The filters in the x1000 look like they are much better quality.

IMO, it would be best to have a fan blowing out on the front since it has no filter. You want air to be pulled in on the vents with filters and out on the vents with no filters.

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20544015

i`m guessing just under 11.02 pounds as the DHL reciept has it weighing as 5kg

Redesigning the Mitsubishi 4000 for power LEDs would result in a doubling of the size and weight. Plus the substantial increase in price.

Compact florescent bulbs cost $3 while the equivalent LED is $50.

Therefore the majority of consumers will switch only when it make economic sense to do so. Poor reliability will cause many to run-for-the-hills or at least have an iron-clad, no-cost return policy. Therefore only Amazon should sell it, as Best Buy is now tracking and blaming the customer for all returns through third party Retail Equation.

#612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/20544088

Redesigning the Mitsubishi 4000 for power LEDs would result in a doubling of the size and weight. Plus the substantial increase in price.

Compact florescent bulbs cost $3 while the equivalent LED is $50.

Therefore the majority of consumers will switch only when it make economic sense to do so. Poor reliability will cause many to run-for-the-hills or at least have an iron-clad, no-cost return policy. Therefore only Amazon should sell it, as Best Buy is now tracking and blaming the customer for all returns through third party Retail Equation.

You don't see any compact florescent bulbs in projectors. I have seen led bulbs sold for under $20. You can put one in a childs room when it is born and not bother changing it untill they are off to college.

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/20544129

You don't see any compact florescent bulbs in projectors. I have seen led bulbs sold for under $20. You can put one in a childs room when it is born and not bother changing it untill they are off to college.

You don't see any power LEDs in reliable, reasonably priced, high performance projectors either. This will change but their is a lot of misery ahead for those thrill seekers who dare to jump now. Just look at the sloppy thermal paste applied to the voltage regulators.

I recommend waiting for the new 3D projectors coming later this year. Or the $1100 Mitsubishi 4000 if you must buy today, as their has been no performance or reliability issues whatsoever. I also needs no calibration and is rated a CR Best Buy.

#614 ·
projector has been released into the wild and is free of its coolbox.

These are readings from 2 different thermometers at 6 inches away from heat exhaust after 3 & a half hours.

dunno which one is right but its definitley under 30 degrees Celcius

27.7C is 81.86 F

29.5C is 85.1 F

anyways;somewhere inbetween of those 2 ..lol

#615 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/20544086

That main filter is massive! The two projectors that I have had experience with had tiny filters that were so course that you could see through them. The filters in the x1000 look like they are much better quality.

IMO, it would be best to have a fan blowing out on the front since it has no filter. You want air to be pulled in on the vents with filters and out on the vents with no filters.

I agree however with this design that would undermine the main fan in the rear that sucks the air out. It looks like the airflow enters at the left and front of the machine and my way would assist the main fan and help keep the two LEDs cooler. Especially if the one on the left of the Lens is the Blue panel like I suspect.

Bohanna

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna /forum/post/20544551

I agree however with this design that would undermine the main fan in the rear that sucks the air out. It looks like the airflow enters at the left and front of the machine and my way would assist the main fan and help keep the two LEDs cooler. Especially if the one on the left of the Lens is the Blue panel like I suspect.

Bohanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/20544068

I dont get why there isnt an air filter on the front vent.

you would expect the air flow to be at where they have put the air filters. I`m sure there is air being sucked into the front fins

It does seem the projector has had substantial designing, as those elaborate heatsinks dont come cheap, but could they have overlooked a simple front filter air filter?

I cant work it out....

That air is being channel somewhere.. is this a potential dust trap? there has to be a reason...

#617 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20544699

I dont get why there isnt an air filter on the front vent.

you would expect the air flow to be at where they have put the air filters. I`m sure there is air being sucked into the front fins

It does seem the projector has had substantial designing, as those elaborate heatsinks dont come cheap, but could they have overlooked a simple front filter air filter?

I cant work it out....

That air is being channel somewhere.. is this a potential dust trap? there has to be a reason...

Yes, it appears that dust will enter the vent on the front.

I would think that this would cause a buildup of dust inside the projector

#618 ·
I ive been puzzling over these pictures & prodding my x1000 all night, so decided to pester hans with an e-mail & find out for sure whats going on here.

The fins could be cleanable from the outside i got a bristle attachment for my vaccum cleaner that could get into that area from the outside. perhaps that fin serves a purpose as cooling and filter. i dont know,

There could be mini blower inside pushing air circulation thru the side filters. its hard to know whats going on inside this machine.

For the best part it seems a well laid out machine, theres some good thought gone into alot of its processes, so i find it astounding that the obvious has been ignored.

I`m satisfied with the general quality of the projector, so i suppose it would be so easy to put some air condiioning material over the front with some velcro strips and sticky plastic, an easy cheap effective way to prevent dust but thats just me,,

On the plus side at least the optics are sealed.

Anyways lets find out for sure, hopefully i`ll get a reply from CRE about this issue, (they are probably fed up of me,) we can only hope to get a sensible answer.

SMJ

#619 ·
Well, since you are his only customer, maybe he enjoys your emails and waits in anticipation for the next one to arrive!

This is very perplexing, maybe we are missing something and all questions will be answered in your next email from CRE. Good luck

#621 ·
This does look like many of the higher end machines on the inside that I have owned. They use massive heat sinks and low speed fans so you do not hear them. The caps, and trans are most likely the power regulators and storage cap for the LEDs as they require a lot of amps in bright scenes. i.e. more white = more juice to all 3 LEDs.

Those filter are pretty heavy duty as well. Is the large one on the exhaust or is it on the intake? I agree if on exhaust that is odd as it filters the air going back intot he room and leavesa the dust inside on the filter.

#622 ·
The large filter is on the left & the smaller filter is on the right side of machine (as though you were standing looking into the lens) there is no other filters for the exhaust or the front vent.

Its most likely the front vent serves another purpose. perhaps some kind of closed loop cooling for the cooling fins.

The main intakes should be where the filters are located, That would be logical, you would expect.

#623 ·
i`ll try to borrow a another camera on the weekend.

Personally i`m very happy with the picture quality. Movies play cleary lots of detail in 1080p. PC desktop colors look a little dark or cool blue but just needs desktop brightened through your graphics card settings.

The bad pictures were due to me using powerstrip (i was using too much blue in RGB) + cheapy camera.

I do appreciate people have a genuine intrest in the projector & have tried to document my experience but now i think i am reaching the end.

When i say its a great frickin` picture, i really do mean it! If it meant ripping out an eyeball to show you how great movies playback on this, you would see how sweet this 1080p picture is!

I was hoping someone more knowledgable about projectors would have got hold of one by now & take over on questions, & testing etc, leaving me to bow out gracefully.

Whilst it would be cool to hear from another owner, it makes no difference to me if you buy one or not & it really is that simple..lol

I think these are the best pictures i got so far. with my cheapy camera, i`ll see if i can borrow a better camera on the weekend.

#626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20548551

It does look good! nice SXRD, it would give 8,000 hours lamp life i heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've never heard it mentioned anywhere that lamps used in Sony's SXRD projectors have anywhere near that amount of longevity, 8.000 hours. How could they, if these lamps are just metal halyde lamps used in the majority of home projectors, with the exception of xenon lamps which have even lower lifespan ?

Sure, i've read reports right here at AVS of owners posting of their lamps (in general, not necessarily from Sony pjs) lasting up to 10.000 hours when they were rated 2.000/3.000 hours at most, but i wonder if it was simply a matter of their eyesight adjusting over a long period of time to the diminishing light output of the lamp, with onscreen brightness levels very/very slowly decreasing from 20 ft-L to as low as 7 ft-L, at which point most people should be able to detect the difference. At least, that was my own experience with my ancient CRT projector...

BTW : Very nice pictures and call me crazy, but i can almost see those "oversaturated" LED colors that i love so much, even though they're coming through my monitor !

#627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20547535

When i say its a great frickin` picture, i really do mean it! If it meant ripping out an eyeball to show you how great movies playback on this, you would see how sweet this 1080p picture is!

But then you post "screenshots" that are from Windows or something, and not from any movies that members might have themselves?

#628 ·
i`ll defintly try a borrow a different camera on sunday, it wont be too fancy tho, my mum has a 8mp compact canon camera, or my sister she has a 12mp samsung camera . Ideally theres a freind who i havent seen in awhile who is hard to get hold of & he has a 3 year old digital nikon camera..

Movie wise i dont own too many blurays so the choices are:

Speed Racer

Superman (1978)

Rush hour 3

& Battlestar Galactica (the modern) series.

i can kind of get freeview HD but the signal is weak, until its officially in my area in a few months.

clips ive recorded in HD h.264 from the BBC include family guy, & muscian seasick steve playing "cant teach a dog"

the freeview HD clips are broadcast in 1440 x 1080 which looks great but are not real 1920 x 1080.

thats the extent of my mini catalogue..

Out of the blurays i own; if you wish me to take a picture at specific time code i`ll give it a go.

i.e speed racer 1:09:32

#629 ·
Just a quick thing regarding the air flow in-n-out of the case, perhaps the rear is the intake and the front and side is the exhaust? It would seems odd that it goes from 1-to-2 instead of 2-to-1, but it really depends on whether the rear 'in' can create enough of a positive pressure inside to keep dust out from the front-n-side.

I dont remember reading whether SMJ has checked whether air is being blown out in the rear or being sucked into the rear vent which is where the filter is sitting at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.