AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread

291K views 1K replies 250 participants last post by  WashPark 
#1 ·
Never made an official thread before and I had asked about the settings people were using on their GT30's and got some feedback that there should be and official settings thread.

I haven't even gotten mine yet (coming tuesday the 14th), but would love to edit/organize this first post with a list of the settings everyones using similar to whats going on in the D7000 thread, etc.

It would be great if you could include all the settings along with your values, as well as the size and type of room your have the TV located.

This thread should be used to discuss settings and settings only. No TV war type stuff.

Thanks

-Dave

#2 ·
Contrast , Br, and color calibrated with S &M.......WB settings came from another forum.

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour off

AGC 0

Full Size 2

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother off

Black Level Light

I am very pleased with the 50GT30, have no FBr, and prefer a brighter MID panel brightness than the recommended LOW. To each his own........

EDIT - located in family room, normal light for day and night. Relocated a Panansonic 42PX600U to the bedroom, and it is STILL a fantastic tv!

Ken

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey /forum/post/20555516

could someone please go into the service menu, and tell me the default SM Offsets for a 65GT30

SM Offsets

R-DRV: ?

G-DRV: ?

B-DRV: ?

R-CUT: ?

G-CUT: ?

B-CUT: ?

Just an FYI - the offsets vary from set to set. They do a rough calibration at the factory so that all displays match each other within a certain tolerance. As a result, the defaults are not always the same for each TV which is why you should always write yours down before changing anything.

I just wanted to make sure you're aware of this important fact if you weren't already.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20555745

Just an FYI - the offsets vary from set to set. They do a rough calibration at the factory so that all displays match each other within a certain tolerance. As a result, the defaults are not always the same for each TV which is why you should always write yours down before changing anything.

I just wanted to make sure you're aware of this important fact if you weren't already.

Really? I never knew that, and each set is unique?

#6 ·
Would someone please go into there SM just to verify that they are actually different, Im pretty sure i got mine back to normal, but i would love to compare them to somebody elses. Thanks in advance.

If you dont know how, dnice posted it up on "another" forum for calibrating the gt30

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey /forum/post/20557444

Would someone please go into there SM just to verify that they are actually different

No need - the Service Menu values on every GT30 are indeed different than the next GT30 - no two will be exactly the same even when they're from the same batch due to material and component and manufacturing variances. If you happen to get two out of a hundred GT30s with the exact same SM values then it's just a coincidence.

Quote:
Im pretty sure i got mine back to normal, but i would love to compare them to somebody elses.

Apparently you screwed up while in the service menu and also failed to write down and/or take pictures of your original factory SM values before messing around in there.

Quote:
If you dont know how, dnice posted it up on "another" forum for calibrating the gt30

If someone doesn't at least know how to access the Service Menu then they probably also don't know how extremely important it is to know how to navigate around within the SM and how a few button presses can ruin their new TV.

It won't do any good to know what other people's GT30's SM values are since they'll be different than your original lost values were anyway.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20558899

No need - the Service Menu values on every GT30 are indeed different than the next GT30 - no two will be exactly the same even when they're from the same batch due to material and component and manufacturing variances. If you happen to get two out of a hundred GT30s with the exact same SM values then it's just a coincidence.

Apparently you screwed up while in the service menu and also failed to write down and/or take pictures of your original factory SM values before messing around in there.

If someone doesn't at least know how to access the Service Menu then they probably also don't know how extremely important it is to know how to navigate around within the SM and how a few button presses can ruin their new TV.

It won't do any good to know what other people's GT30's SM values are since they'll be different than your original lost values were anyway.

I did take a picture of them all before i did anything, but the camera wouldnt work after i did this, ended up buying a new camera to put my sd card in, because my laptop doesnt have those slots, so all is well.

Also i found out that SD contents sm values are the same as HD's

what do those offsets do to make changes to the colors? Are they voltage regulators?

#14 ·
Since BB had already priced matched my 65GT30 to the sale price of a D7000 I just picked up the avatar starter kit for $100. Tonight I will work on some settings.

However, when i fired up the TV for the first time there was some type of service menu on the screen, and when I exited the menu there was some red text on the screen that bounced between right upper side and right lower side. Any idea what that was?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/20576402

posted in the official GT30 thread as well, but so far I am seeing that I can adjust the picture settings of THX mode when watching cable (coax) and a movie from the HTPC.

I thought THX mode was "unadjustable"?

pro settings incl gamma are not adjustable in THX....only Custom/

ken

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain /forum/post/20576963

ken325i: Thanks for the settings.

I wonder what that new firmware does, maybe it fixes the fluctuating brightness issue? How does one flash the firmware on the tv to update it?

assuming u have internet connection, no need to flash -- downlaoding the firmware will automatically update firmware.

ken

#22 ·
What do you guys use for your day setting? I think Cinema mode or THX mode with some tweaks is great for night viewing, but I have a lot of light in the room and for day viewing none of them work. It's really hard to see especially on darker scenes. I tried custom mode with brightness cranked up and still bad. The only mode that looks good is Game mode but the colors are off and faces have a pinkish hew. Has anyone found any good settings?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i /forum/post/20579589

assuming u have internet connection, no need to flash -- downlaoding the firmware will automatically update firmware.

ken

It wouldn't be connected to a network, just a standard HT setup. So I was wondering how the flash update would be done. Besides, I don't want my tv's getting flash updates that I don't choose to do, there might be some side effect on tv that I don't want. So I'd always check in here first to see if a specific flash update is a good idea to do.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i /forum/post/20553819

Contrast , Br, and color calibrated with S &M.......WB settings came from another forum.

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour off

AGC 0

Full Size 2

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother off

Black Level Light

I am very pleased with the 50GT30, have no FBr, and prefer a brighter MID panel brightness than the recommended LOW. To each his own........

EDIT - located in family room, normal light for day and night. Relocated a Panansonic 42PX600U to the bedroom, and it is STILL a fantastic tv!

Ken

You aren't the only one. I find the THX settings to be too dim and prefer a higher contrast and brightness panel even if it's considered less accurate.

I started using these settings and they have worked great so far, but scenes that are predominantly white don't seem to have that pure bright white look to them. Commercials primarily, but splash screens on games and such also stand out. I suspect this is because of the color temp?

Works great so far though, just haven't hit that sweet spot yet.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentspork /forum/post/20602028

You aren't the only one. I find the THX settings to be too dim and prefer a higher contrast and brightness panel even if it's considered less accurate.

I started using these settings and they have worked great so far, but scenes that are predominantly white don't seem to have that pure bright white look to them. Commercials primarily, but splash screens on games and such also stand out. I suspect this is because of the color temp?

Works great so far though, just haven't hit that sweet spot yet.

Try Warm 1, or Normal, It looks great

#26 ·
I finally had the guts to order a 50GT30 last week, should be getting it on July 7th. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. I just hope I don't get a defective set or see the fluctuation brightness everyone's talking about. Yesterday, I read a brand new review on Amazon where a guy says the fluctuating drop in brightness is annoying, making it unbearable to watch some programs and movies that have a lot of transitions from light to dark. I have a few questions; Did you guys put your gt30 through a break-in period with slide shows prior to using Ken's settings? Or are the settings that Ken posted recommended for watching any program content from the get go? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.