AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer VSX-521k owners thread

196K views 760 replies 229 participants last post by  perversor 
#1 ·
Just starting this (like my Onkyo 608 last year). Mine has arrived. Will test tonight or tomorrow:

1. Perfomace with Deftech 7002

2. Samsung UN55D7000 with ARC

3. Mediacenter extender (XBOX360)

4. PS3 for Blu-Ray

I will also try and program my Logitech remote and see if the codes are there. I may have to use the 520 (or 820k) temorarily.

If you want to know the price i paid just PM me (like Last year) and I will give you the name of the person at "big place" in chicagoland and make him honor the "pre-order" price and free ship etc (yes, beats Amazon)

sjc

#27 ·
Wow, this thread is a ghost town. No love for the 521-K at AVSForums?

I have a question regarding power output that I have posted in the AVR FAQ but thought I'd post here as well. Pioneer publishes all three types of power output measurement in their receiver specs; for the VSX-521-K, the three measurements are:

Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) 80

Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@8ohm) 110

Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@6ohm) 125

Ok, my front left and right speakers are (nominal impedance) 6 Ohms speakers, rated at 130 Watts max input power; so is my receiver powering them at 80, 110, 0r 125 Watts? Thanks.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer /forum/post/20475902

Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@6ohm) 125

Ok, my front left and right speakers are (nominal impedance) 6 Ohms speakers, rated at 130 Watts max input power; so is my receiver powering them at 80, 110, 0r 125 Watts? Thanks.

I think the answer is right there. It can power them at up to 125 watts. The way I understand it -- someone can correct me -- The figure with the THD value (Total Harmonic Distortion) indicates that if you want to operate the receiver with 8 ohm speakers and attain a maximum harmonic distortion of .08%, you would only be able to turn the volume up to a point where the receiver can output 80 watts.

In other words, the receiver can handle up to what the specs say it can, but the best sound quality will be at 80 watts.

#29 ·
Sadly I am not as happy with this device as I thought I would be. I will keep it, though. Its definitely a quality device.

Just a couple of gripes... HDMI picture and audio sync take way too long. Forgot channel surfing on this thing, you're going to have to use a program guide.

Also, I cannot, I repeat, cannot figure out what to operate the surround on when watching the set top box. Standard, Direct or Auto Surround?

Are there any other Pioneer VSX-x21K (521, 821, 921, 1021) owners out there who could advise on this?

Sometimes, the receiver doesn't detect that it is 5.1 sound on a channel, and forces Dolby PLII, so I don't know which surround option to keep it set on. I do not want to have to keep changing it. Direct is the fastest and more assured, but I wonder what the difference is between that and Standard.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktwothousand /forum/post/20499052

Sadly I am not as happy with this device as I thought I would be. I will keep it, though. Its definitely a quality device.

Just a couple of gripes... HDMI picture and audio sync take way too long. Forgot channel surfing on this thing, you're going to have to use a program guide.

Also, I cannot, I repeat, cannot figure out what to operate the surround on when watching the set top box. Standard, Direct or Auto Surround?

Are there any other Pioneer VSX-x21K (521, 821, 921, 1021) owners out there who could advise on this?

Sometimes, the receiver doesn't detect that it is 5.1 sound on a channel, and forces Dolby PLII, so I don't know which surround option to keep it set on. I do not want to have to keep changing it. Direct is the fastest and more assured, but I wonder what the difference is between that and Standard.

I keep my receiver set to "direct". I don't understand what the purpose of "auto surround" is because presumably "direct" will play surround feeds as surround when available. Assuming you've ran MCACC, you won't want to use "Pure Direct" as it disables the EQ MCACC creates to improve the sound of your speakers in your room. I just learned that one myself a few days ago.

I haven't experienced the receiver not detecting surround sources. If you just set it to "Direct" you shouldn't have any problems and should be always hearing the sound as it was produced, with MCACC doing it's magic.

#31 ·
hey everyone, more love for the VSX-521-K!

First off, I am probably 95% satisfied with the unit. Such great power and sound quality from such an inexpensive unit!

Here's my one gripe: it won't "see" the HDMI input from my WD TV set-top box. It "sees" my Zune HD docking station, Panasonic blu-ray player, and PS3 just fine. AND if I connect the WD TV directly to my tele, it works just fine. This FEELS like the Pioneer receiver requires a certain quality to its HDMI sources that the WD TV might not meet.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Reading over some of the other posted issues here, it's clear that you all know WAY more than I do about audio stuff! Sorry I can't offer any advice on the other issues.

#32 ·
Sorry I don't have any solution to the HDMI issue but I can contribute:

I have similar problems with my set-top and HDMI. It is routed into the receiver, which goes out to the TV. Sometimes, when changing channels, the receiver won't catch on to the new channel, especially if the picture format is different on the next channel (i.e. 720P to 1080i). And it completely descynchonrizes, and I lose picture. I have to turn all units off and on to somehow restore the picture.

Very poor performance on that issue. May consider going back to HDMI-to-TV and using Set-top Coax Audio for that hookup.

Could be the cables, but they work most of the time, and I tried rejigging them in their slots, and nothing happened. I may switch them around next time it happens to see if it restores the issue.

Also, channel switching when changing picture formats is also extremely slow. In the extreme. If you are switching channels between sports, you will miss things FOR SURE.

#33 ·
- set top boxes have been the bane of hdmi handshaking since day one... go ahead and hook it up with component video cables and a spdif cable... pq will be the same, and you won't have to deal with the headaches...

- the change in resolution when changing channels (i.e. if you go from a 1080i to a 720p signal, or vice versa) breaks the hdcp chain and forces a complete handshake throughout the entire chain... that's why you see the delay... the workaround for this is to set your set top box to output a fixed format... ime, setting it to 1080i is "best", as it's reasonably "easy" for the set top box to scale/interlace a 720p signal to 1080i, and much more difficult to deinterlace/scale a 1080i signal to 720p...

hth..

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktwothousand /forum/post/20499052

see my previous post for workaround on hdmi handshake delays...

i would leave it on "auto"...

#35 ·
I have a Samsung HLT6756W and the 521k replaced an old Marantz SR4000 receiver, which is audio only. The set top box is ATT U-verse. My DVD player is old, non-blue ray and component output only. We very seldom use it. And we have a Mac Mini with HDMI output. One reason for buying the 521K was to watch internet TV and listen to my iTunes library on the home theater speakers instead of the TV speakers.

Installing the 521K was a real challenge - mostly due to my stupidity.

- the Mac Mini HDMI connection had no sound and the picture cut off the menus at the top. It took a couple hours focusing on the 512k before I realized the solution was 100% in the Mac Mini. It was thanks to a response Chris made to somebody regarding a different but similar issue that made me realize I was looking at the wrong device. Duh! Thanks for helping me see the light, Chris.

- I never got the OSD to work. I guess the reason is that I could not find the right Samsung input for the extra cable from the 521K "Monitor out". In any case, I figured OSD is not necessary and used the 521k display to run the MCACC tool.

Questions:

1. Any reason to make the OSD work? I looked at the menu in the manual, and it looks like the only selection that matters to me is the MCAAC and, in any case, the display on the 521k should be sufficient. Is that right?

2. I prefer to have the one HDMI connection from the 521k to the Samsung. Any reason to add component, or use only component instead of HDMI? I have not yet connected the DVD Player which has only component output. Will I need component from the 521k to the Samsung to make that work? I also assume the audio via the HDMI cable is the best.

#36 ·
"- I never got the OSD to work. I guess the reason is that I could not find the right Samsung input for the extra cable from the 521K "Monitor out". In any case, I figured OSD is not necessary and used the 521k display to run the MCACC tool. "

You need to use an RCA cable to get the OSD. It does not output via HDMI.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniskunk /forum/post/20510883

"- I never got the OSD to work. I guess the reason is that I could not find the right Samsung input for the extra cable from the 521K "Monitor out". In any case, I figured OSD is not necessary and used the 521k display to run the MCACC tool. "

You're saying that if your only connection to the display is HDMI it won't bring up the Pio OSD??

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialleft /forum/post/20510458

1. Any reason to make the OSD work? I looked at the menu in the manual, and it looks like the only selection that matters to me is the MCAAC and, in any case, the display on the 521k should be sufficient. Is that right?

You're correct. I ran a composite cable last week to use the on-screen display, thinking that there were additional options that could only be accessed this way. There isn't. Using the display on the 521-K itself does everything you need.

#40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by miniskunk View Post

"You're saying that if your only connection to the display is HDMI it won't bring up the Pio OSD??"

Correct. The video image generator for the OSD does not support HDMI. It's analog. You need to find an analog video input jack on your TV. Most still have them to support older tech like video game devices and VCRs.

#41 ·
Hello,

I recently got Samsung UN55D6420 along with Pioneer VSX-521-k & Samsung Blue-Ray player & Polk audio speaker

I completed the MCACC setup however for some reason i do not hear reasonable sound until i turn the volume upto 30+ Is this normal? My room is about 6 feet wide and 8 feet long, speakers in four corner and central near tv and woofer beside tv.

I have HDMI coming out of AV to TV in/Blue-Ray HDMI out to AV in/Satellite Optical out to AV in/Satellite Video out to TV in

Could someone please suggest any setup change to improve sound level.. thanks.

#42 ·
^^^

yes, that's perfectly normal...

the volume display isn't linear...

#44 ·
^^^

no...

put them back where they were, and use the volume control to make it louder...

if you are "used to" an avr with a linear volume display, forget all you knew before... -35db on the volume scale on your current avr isn't pushing it at all...

your avr (assuming you ran calibration right), is calibrated so that "reference" level will show 0db (very loud) on the display... that doesn't mean that the avr doesn't have plenty left...

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/20575037

^^^

no...

put them back where they were, and use the volume control to make it louder...

if you are "used to" an avr with a linear volume display, forget all you knew before... -35db on the volume scale on your current avr isn't pushing it at all...

your avr (assuming you ran calibration right), is calibrated so that "reference" level will show 0db (very loud) on the display... that doesn't mean that the avr doesn't have plenty left...

Oh gosh. Thanks for the clarification yet again, i didn't pay attention to "linear volume" in your last post. I have re-run the calibration and now the values are back to the original..

Thanks again...

#46 ·
^^^

you are welcome...
glad you are straightened out and up and running...

a LOT of people have gotten tripped up by that... if you are used to a linear display/volume control (vs. logarithmic), it can seem quite odd that you seemingly have to turn the avr up "at least half the way" before you really even begin to hear anything...

what the display is really showing you is "decibels off of reference" (assuming a correctly calibrated avr)... and since the decibel scale is log 10 (i.e. 60 decibels is 10 times as "loud" as 50 decibels), it can be a bit confusing until you understand that...

here's a link to what log 10 "looks like" ...

so... the difference between, say, -35db on your display and -25db on the display isn't "a little bit", it's actually "10 times as loud"...

hth...

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/20576154

^^^

you are welcome...
glad you are straightened out and up and running...

a LOT of people have gotten tripped up by that... if you are used to a linear display/volume control (vs. logarithmic), it can seem quite odd that you seemingly have to turn the avr up "at least half the way" before you really even begin to hear anything...

what the display is really showing you is "decibels off of reference" (assuming a correctly calibrated avr)... and since the decibel scale is log 10 (i.e. 60 decibels is 10 times as "loud" as 50 decibels), it can be a bit confusing until you understand that...

here's a link to what log 10 "looks like" ...

so... the difference between, say, -35db on your display and -25db on the display isn't "a little bit", it's actually "10 times as loud"...

hth...

Chris-are volume controls on guitar amps also logarithmic??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuzps...eature=related

#49 ·
^^^

LOL!!!

that is truly a classic...

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX /forum/post/20613171

Deciding between 820 and 521 - seems the ONLY thing the 820 has that the 521 does not are speaker posts and the ipod plug (Ipod/usb).

If Ipod use would be rare and I would use other cables, and price is similar, would any of you not get the 521?

Someone mentioned earlier that the 521 has MCACC "auto". What is that though?

Also, to use an ipod with the 521-k does it have an aux jack? I use that in my car all the time for my ipod. It does not charge the ipod so this would be poor for heavy ipod users. But maybe you could keep the ipod plugged into the wall and plugged into the AVR at the same time? I don't know if that's ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.