AVS Forum banner
482K views 2K replies 336 participants last post by  shadow_zero 
#1 ·
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.

Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings

-Picture Adjustments menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 95

Brightness: 54

Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Motionflow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD

Picture mode: Custom

Backlight - 5

Contrast - 89

Brightness - 57

Color - 50

Hue - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color temperature - Warm2

Noise reduction -Off

Mpeg noise reduction -Off

Motionflow On

Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma - 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

Detail/Edge enhancer Off

R Gain -10

G Gain -9

B Gain 0

R Bias -2

G Bias -1

B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723

Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)

Backlight: 9

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)

Motionflow: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2

Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only

White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROS AND CONS

CONS

1) Crosstalk

See less See more
#227 ·
When the panel displays a new frame, it scans from the bottom up to the top, and it takes an average of 7 ms to draw the whole frame.

To reduce the amount of crosstalk, Sony blacks out both eyes for 3 ms, which should give the screen the time to get rid of one frame and redraw the next one. But as we saw, it only has time to get rid of the bottom half of the preceding frame. When one of the lenses becomes transparent again, the top half of the preceding frame is still visible, which is why crosstalk is much more visible at the top than at the bottom.

#230 ·
Bitter,

Please do try 3D using a PS3. I'm having no problems as I output everything from the PS3... movies, games. I even watched Legend of the Guardians and it is breath taking in 3D. (Especially the scene where the owlets are training amidst the heavy rain and thunder storms) Really worth the price.

While I agree that this is an entry level 3D (and also wholeheartedly agree that it is a damn awesome 2D TV), I'm quite satisfied with the 3D program.

Texted our local Sony representative and she gave me the number of Sony Philippines. They will schedule a visit to look at my TV but a replacement is very possible since the TV is just a month old.

I will also consider the HDMI cable, but I won't get my hopes up. Watched two SD DVDs using my Samsung HTIB and it displayed some lines, although not as evident. Maybe a 1.4 HDMI cable will make a difference? I don't know but can't wait to get home and try.

#231 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin
I don't expect too much for the ex720 series, its really an entry to 3d. 2d wise it is awesome.
That is a bullcrap excuse, if the TV says it does 3D, it should do 3D. Not half 3D. There is no where on the box where it says it only does the bottom half the screen in 3D.

#232 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin
Yeah that review is pretty damning. That's exactly what you see too, right? Sucks.
Ive also seen a lot of other reviews where they don't list that as a problem. Thats a big reason that I feel there is defective TV out there. I was flat out told by a Sony Authorized repair tech that there is a known issue with the 3D.

#233 ·
 http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._10659_16.html

Check this review out, it is pretty damning. This is exactly the problem I see with side by side sources. Sony sources such as Qriocity look much better tho, because it is Frame Packing 3D, the "official" Sony 3D. I don't like how they are forcing us to use a Sony PS3 or Blu Ray for decent 3D. I also did not expect much from this 3D since it is their cheapest model, but Niko is right, the quality is inexcusably bad.

Niko, what did the tech say?

#234 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin
http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._10659_16.html

Check this review out, it is pretty damning. This is exactly the problem I see with side by side sources. Sony sources such as Qriocity look much better tho, because it is Frame Packing 3D, the "official" Sony 3D. I don't like how they are forcing us to use a Sony PS3 or Blu Ray for decent 3D. I also did not expect much from this 3D since it is their cheapest model, but Niko is right, the quality is inexcusably bad.

Niko, what did the tech say?
The tech said its a known issue and wouldn't elaborate any further. Sony doesn't want everyone to know about the problem, if they did they would have to fix everyone's problem. But Sony is smart and knows there are people, like the ones on this board, that will just accept it how it is and never get the issue fixed.

#235 ·
My settings.

2D and 3D:

[Eco menu]

Light Sensor: ON

[Picture Adjustments menu]

Scene: Graphics

Sharpness: Min (50 - 3D)

CineMotion: Off

[Advanced Settings menu]

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: High (3D ONLY)

Detail Enhancer: High (3D ONLY)

i/p Conversion: Speed

White Balance:

-2 ,0, 0, -2, -2, -2

[3D Settings]

Everything at Default

Glasses Brightness: AUTO (Most prefer HIGH though)

======================================

Basically same settings for everything HD. For SD, I make use of the Noise Reduction (set to Auto) and of course the Detail Enhancer.

#236 ·
Got a question. Do I want "Display Area" in the screen setting menu to be at -1, Normal, or +1. I have it set on normal now and would it differ between sd and hd content at all?

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20582431

My settings.

2D and 3D:

[Eco menu]

Light Sensor: ON

Scene: Graphics

Sharpness: Min (50 - 3D)

[Advanced Settings menu]

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: High (3D ONLY)

Detail Enhancer: High (3D ONLY)

i/p Conversion: Speed

White Balance:

-2 ,0, 0, -2, -2, -2

[3D Settings]

Everything at Default

Glasses Brightness: AUTO (Most prefer HIGH though)

======================================

Basically same settings for everything HD. For SD, I make use of the Noise Reduction (set to Auto) and of course the Detail Enhancer.

Nice, the noise reduction works great for sd cable. Totally agree with the rest of your settings as well, set it and forget it.

#239 ·
I just turned off Light Sensor. Will try and see if I'm happy after a week! (Black level versus an overall brighter image)

Also, switched to a high speed Sony 1.3 cable. I don't know how old my former cable was, but maybe it wasn't in the high speed category. Maybe it's the new high speed cable, maybe setting the IP conversion to Speed, or just maybe both. Jacked NBA 2K11 to my PS3 and it did improve the framerate of the 3D considerably. Before it was hellacious, but now it really is good.

#240 ·
My settings.

[Eco menu]

All off, I hate auto adjust

Scene: General/Custom, Game/Original, Graphics

Backlight: 5

Picture: Max

Color: 52

Color Temperature: Neutral

All noise reduction off

[Advanced Settings menu]

All Off

Gamma: 0

i/p Conversion: Speed for Xbox, Quality for TV, only used for upconverting 1080i to 1080p really

White Balance:

[3D Settings]

Everything at Default

Glasses Brightness: High or Medium

I have fiddled with everything and nothing alters the 3D crosstalk. Interestingly, 3D mode locks your TV into MAX backlight and turns power saving off. Also, Motionflow is greyed out.

Default brightness is perfect for YCC709 and Full RGB, as you can "barely see" the thing in Xbox game test patterns you are supposed to barely see on default. I also used the nifty indie game app TV Calibration. That app also showed me Full Pixel is not on by default.

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20582922

I just turned off Light Sensor. Will try and see if I'm happy after a week! (Black level versus an overall brighter image)

Also, switched to a high speed Sony 1.3 cable. I don't know how old my former cable was, but maybe it wasn't in the high speed category. Maybe it's the new high speed cable, maybe setting the IP conversion to Speed, or just maybe both. Jacked NBA 2K11 to my PS3 and it did improve the framerate of the 3D considerably. Before it was hellacious, but now it really is good.

Yeah the Light Sensor, I'm not sure if I like it on or off yet for Cable tv. For anything else I have it off though.

#242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20582955

My settings.

I have fiddled with everything and nothing alters the 3D crosstalk. Interestingly, 3D mode locks your TV into MAX backlight and turns power saving off. Also, Motionflow is greyed out.

Default brightness is perfect for YCC709 and Full RGB, as you can "barely see" the thing in Xbox game test patterns you are supposed to barely see on default. I also used the nifty indie game app TV Calibration. That app also showed me Full Pixel is not on by default.

Hmm... MotionFlow is not greyed out when playing Blu Ray Discs (2D or 3D) in my PS3. NBA 2K11 only greys it out (I think its 3D is just side by side?) The rest, I can set MotionFlow to Standard and Smooth at will.

#243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20585063

Hmm... MotionFlow is not greyed out when playing Blu Ray Discs (2D or 3D) in my PS3. NBA 2K11 only greys it out (I think its 3D is just side by side?) The rest, I can set MotionFlow to Standard and Smooth at will.

Same with hx929 and hx909. No motion flow with side by side either. Then again, there isn't a flicker when it's off like regular octane Blu-Ray 3D.

#244 ·
To those with Light Sensor Off,

Don't you find the black levels lacking? I mean the top and bottom black borders are like blue/purpleish. Plus when it's an all black scenes clouding is everywhere!

Couldn't last a day with it Off. Turned it back On. 5 Backlight for Daytime viewing, 2 for night.

EDIT:

All Side by Side 3D content sucks. I just realized. Downloaded Virtua Tennis 4 and it was Cross Talk galore for me. Seems like niko and bitter are right and I'm afraid that it's an All TV issue. No problems whatsoever with my Blu Rays though so I'm happy with that. (And Crysis 2!)

#246 ·
DO NOT BUY THIS TV FOR 3D! As we have discovered, side by side sources look like total ass.

About black levels, I do not expect much from LCDs blacks, but I find this phenomenal. At 5 backlight, light sensor off, I have two little spotlights in the bottom corners but otherwise the contrast is incredible. Even if i turn it down to Minimum they are still visible so I find 5 a great trade off for incredible contrast. EX720 does not have active local dimming so the light sensor changes the whole picture's brightness, which is something I don't like. I am really impressed with the TV's out of box performance with all bells and whistles turned off.

I really love this TV's 2D performance- it is only the 3D that is lacking. If you have Sony stuff (PS3/Blu Ray) the 3D is much better (frame packing signals). But if you have a 360 or FIOS motorola cable box, they only do side by side, and Sony neglected their translation of these signals.

Hey Squatch, i totally disagree with your settings (my reds smear to all hell with that setup in TV Calibration Indie Game), but what output do you use for 360's HDMI color space? I use 709. I noticed we can use Full RGB but you have to set it manually in Pro Picture Setup, because it will not auto switch. Set 360 to RGB, Expanded Reference Levels, and Pro Pic Setup->HDMI Range->Full. I didn't notice a difference between this and 709 in most games tho. What would be the better setting: RGB Full or 709?

#248 ·
*New* Xbox 360 Calibrated In Dark Room (Games Only)

Picture Mode: Custom/ Scene-Game Original

Backlight: 5

Color: 52

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Neutral

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: 0

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Speed

--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: 0

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: 0

G-Bias: 0

B-Bias: 0

--Screen menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Wide Mode: Full

Auto Wide: Off

4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]

Auto Display Area: Off

Display Area: Full Pixel

Screen Position: [grayed out]

--Pro Picture Setup menu--

[all settings default/Auto]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--

Game Original

--Eco menu--

Power Saving: Off

Light Sensor: Off.

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20587521

DO NOT BUY THIS TV FOR 3D! As we have discovered, side by side sources look like total ass.

About black levels, I do not expect much from LCDs blacks, but I find this phenomenal. At 5 backlight, light sensor off, I have two little spotlights in the bottom corners but otherwise the contrast is incredible. Even if i turn it down to Minimum they are still visible so I find 5 a great trade off for incredible contrast. EX720 does not have active local dimming so the light sensor changes the whole picture's brightness, which is something I don't like. I am really impressed with the TV's out of box performance with all bells and whistles turned off.

I really love this TV's 2D performance- it is only the 3D that is lacking. If you have Sony stuff (PS3/Blu Ray) the 3D is much better (frame packing signals). But if you have a 360 or FIOS motorola cable box, they only do side by side, and Sony neglected their translation of these signals.

Hey Squatch, i totally disagree with your settings (my reds smear to all hell with that setup in TV Calibration Indie Game), but what output do you use for 360's HDMI color space? I use 709. I noticed we can use Full RGB but you have to set it manually in Pro Picture Setup, because it will not auto switch. Set 360 to RGB, Expanded Reference Levels, and Pro Pic Setup->HDMI Range->Full. I didn't notice a difference between this and 709 in most games tho. What would be the better setting: RGB Full or 709?

I use RGB Full.

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20588315

Hey Sasquatch. Why did you change your color temp?

I'm not sure yet. I will be testing backlight at 2 and Warm 2 and backlight at 5 and Neutral in the next couple of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.