* On-Screen Display via HDMI

* Burr-Brown DACs for improved jitter and clearer sound

Comparison Chart is Shared here.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/73958065...NR509_TX-SR309

See less See more
#629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotivo /forum/post/0

I have the RC360. And, I think Onkyo has something screwed up. My numbers were very screwy as well. And, I got the same basic result running it twice. The first time, I simply fixed the numbers. But, when it happened again, I looked at the numbers closely, it appeared to be using the readings from number 2 as the center. You're supposed to do 1 in the center, 2 on the right, and 3 on the left ( 3 1 2 ). However, the way it seems to be working is 3 2 1. And, this is for both levels and distances.

And, to prove my theory, I did it with 2 in the center ( 3 2 1 ). And, the result is exactly what I expect. Left and right channels are balanced (within 1 db) and the distances all make perfect sense.

You should report this as a bug to Onkyo.

#630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by supie /forum/post/0

Can I use my Universal Remote such as Harmony or URC MX-980 without any problems, after doing the programming?

- Yes you can....I have programmed my Harmony One without any problems at all. I have a post earlier in this thread with some suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "supie /forum/post/0

How much heat does it generate? Can I install the Receiver in a ventilated cabinet with at least 8" clearance on top and 4" sides and back?

- Mine sits in a ventilated cabinet with about the same space. My 609 stays at about 38-40c most of the time. I have seen it go as high as 48c, but have not seen it above that.

I can't help you with your last question. Hope this helps!

#631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 /forum/post/20524881

Hey guys, registered just to share a pretty good price on the 609. You all have been a great help deciding on a receiver! Too bad I couldn't get in on the Vann's deal but a place called shopbroadline.com has it for $409. I've never heard of them before (I usually use Newegg or Amazon) but I went ahead and ordered. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Looks like I can't post a link yet but you can google shopbroadline

So how did it turn out with shopbroadline? did you receive the 609?

thanks for the tip.

#632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calc teacher /forum/post/20578430

I have encountered the exact same issue and it is driving me nuts. I cannot say for sure if it occurred after the firmware update or it was always there. (I think I would have noticed it before though!) I'm about to return my nr509 receiver unless I get this corrected. Have you or anyone else had any luck yet on a fix? If I run my ipod through the auxillary jack there is no popping. It is just when I am running it through the usb connection. Every other input sounds flawless as well.

Moreover, my ipod has straight up frozen on a couple of occasions while connected with the usb cable. I have to reset my ipod to get it functioning again. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm pretty disappointed! I just updated my 509 with the June update and sure enough, the f***ing popping noise is still there! Not only is it still there, but it completely takes away whatever enjoyment I was getting out of the music I was listening to. WTF?!

I must say, the update did make the ipod usb more operable. I was, for a few days now, getting non-stop stuttering from the ipod, but that's been fixed. Small consolation. DLNA still can't pick-up my streaming source, even though my WDLive does. I dunno.

The popping issue is really sh*tty though, as I'm really digging the sound coming out of my Paradigm Atoms, in between pops!

G.

#633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 /forum/post/20584246

- Mine sits in a ventilated cabinet with about the same space. My 609 stays at about 38-40c most of the time. I have seen it go as high as 48c, but have not seen it above that.

How do you get the 609 temperature? I would like to know the temp of mine. It's in a cabinet with a Coolerguys double fan blowing on the back and a grill cloth insert in the door.

#634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 /forum/post/20586209

How do you get the 609 temperature? I would like to know the temp of mine. It's in a cabinet with a Coolerguys double fan blowing on the back and a grill cloth insert in the door.

On the receiver....
  • press DISPLAY button and hold
  • press POWER button shortly
  • then quickly release DISPLAY
  • quickly press TONE and release

It's a little tricky, but it will show the temperature in celcius.

#635 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 /forum/post/20586507

On the receiver....

It's a little tricky, but it will show the temperature in celcius.

Thanks. It's been sitting idle for about 3 hours and it's reading 32. Be interesting to see the temp after it's been on a few hours.

#637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBoy /forum/post/20587700

Does anyone know the remote code to enter in my Comcast remote for the 609? None of the codes in the manual seem to work.

Are the codes listed in the Comcast manual? If so just use any 6XX and it should work. For basic things anyway.

#639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/20586067

I'm pretty disappointed! I just updated my 509 with the June update and sure enough, the f***ing popping noise is still there! Not only is it still there, but it completely takes away whatever enjoyment I was getting out of the music I was listening to. WTF?!

I must say, the update did make the ipod usb more operable. I was, for a few days now, getting non-stop stuttering from the ipod, but that's been fixed. Small consolation. DLNA still can't pick-up my streaming source, even though my WDLive does. I dunno.

The popping issue is really sh*tty though, as I'm really digging the sound coming out of my Paradigm Atoms, in between pops!

G.

Well edved, I gave up and returned my Onkyo 509 to ABT Electonics today. I had them pull out a new 509 from the stock room and I gave it a listen on their "test bench" which had some pathetic speakers hooked up to it. I still could pick up a couple of small pops so I said screw and and told them to keep it. Luckily they had a Denon 1912 floor model for $400 so I switched it out. NO POPPING SO FAR. The Denon sounds pretty clean so far but I haven't been able to put it through its paces.

I too was unable to get my Onkyo's DLNA to recognize my computer playing itunes even though I had the sharing turned on. I was very curious to see if I could stream my itunes from my computer and see if it would pop like the usb connection. I will never know. I guess I will now sign off and pick up on a Denon thread. I wish you luck.

#640 ·
Help! I just hooked up my 509 and all my devices are working properly except for my cable box. When I choose to watch my SA Explorer 8300HD DVR for some reason the screen will flash pretty often and random. Audio is not effected during the times the screen goes blank. All my other devices work (ps3,360,boxee box), and I have tried swithing the hdmi input and no luck, i get the same problem with my dvr on each hdmi input. Is it an HDMI setup setting? This is really annoying, watching tv is not possible like this, I do not want to resort to connecting the hdmi from my box to the tv, and using an optical from the box to the receiver for audio, I would much rather everything run through the hdmi like it should. It is really strange, the box has worked with every other onkyo hdmi receiver I have used, i'm almost certain it's a setting with the receiver. HDMI Ctrl, HDMI Through, and Audio TV out are all set to "off" in the HDMI setup. any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: i should mention I updated the receiver via internet, as soon as I turned it on for the first time before I set anything up.

Edit: never mind, it seems it is indeed the SA Explorer 8300HD that is the problem, I switch out and tried another box and it is working fine. Gonna put the dvr back and see if it works, crosses fingers.

#642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballz71 /forum/post/20537747

Have an audio issue seeing if anyone can help me out

My setup

U-verse box(hdmi) > Onkyo 609

U-verse box is set to digital surround and as long as the program playing is in Dolby Digital I have no problems.

When the program is not Dolby Digital the receiver displays "THX" and the sound cuts out every 10-20 seconds intermittently.

I have found a way to fix this by switching the audio output to "stereo" through the U-verse box. Gets kind of annoying after a while.

Anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

I have the exact same issue with the 509. As long as the program is Dolby all is good. During a commercial of the same program, I notice a slight chopping of the audio.

I have tried two different U-vesrse boxes with the same results.

Thanks for any thoughts.

#643 ·
Hello. I recently ordered an Onkyo TX-SR309 and have a question about it. I will have my Dish receiver connected via HDML. Then HDML from the receiver to the TV.

Will I be able to simply turn on the TV and get video and sound? Or, must I have the receiver turned on to get video and sound?

Thanks.

#644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnz /forum/post/20589935

Hello. I recently ordered an Onkyo TX-SR309 and have a question about it. I will have my Dish receiver connected via HDML. Then HDML from the receiver to the TV.

Will I be able to simply turn on the TV and get video and sound? Or, must I have the receiver turned on to get video and sound?

Thanks.

Both units will need to be on.

#647 ·
Thanks for posting that article. I have added a second sub, a 300w 8" and a 250w 10". I have to say hands down the 8" is superior. Nice and tight, and does not distort. I really am contemplating replacing the 10" with a second 8". Either way I am very happy with the second sub.

#648 ·
What a waste of time. I called the Onkyo customer abuse number and got absolutely nowhere. I was told that they would call me once they resolved my problem...not holding my breath.

I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't get my 509 to stream my music from the PC. My WDlive can stream no problem and it too is DLNA enabled. I can stream IP radio no problem, but coming from my PC forget about it.

I've seen DLNA "no server" so many times, I'm beginning to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhound Day!

#649 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/20592330

What a waste of time. I called the Onkyo customer abuse number and got absolutely nowhere. I was told that they would call me once they resolved my problem...not holding my breath.

I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't get my 509 to stream my music from the PC. My WDlive can stream no problem and it too is DLNA enabled. I can stream IP radio no problem, but coming from my PC forget about it.

I've seen DLNA "no server" so many times, I'm beginning to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhound Day!

Have you tried another media server such as tversity? That's what I used and didn't have any problems.

#650 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/20592330

I have 609 and my windows 7 pc streams just fine to it...its probably your anitvirus or streaming options setup incorrectly.....makes sure in windows networking and sharing center chose homegroup..then select streaming and sharing options and make sure your receiver is allowed..not sure the antivirus your using but it must have rule setup for streaming.....after turning on sharing on your pc,...shut down antivirus and try that..

#651 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR609 but need some info I haven't been able to find in the manual. Can you please confirm this receiver has the ability to remotely control the A and B speakers? I know that an additional pair of speakers can be set up as zone 2 speakers however the manual says those speakers can only handle analog output which is no good for me as my CD player is hooked up via a digital optical cable.

When I played the video on the Onkyo website at http://www.onkyousa.com/Video/TX-NR609.swf , it shows the receiver's remote control and I noticed the text "SP A/B" just below the "GUIDE-TOP MENU" button. However, I don't see that same text on any of the images of the remote in the manual nor does it mention that feature in the manual. Can you please confirm that feature is on the remote? The 609 looks like a great receiver but not having that feature might be a dealbreaker, I'm disabled and need the ability to remotely control my main speakers. Thanks!

Dan

#653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla /forum/post/20595909

Hello everyone,

Can you please confirm this receiver has the ability to remotely control the A and B speakers? I know that an additional pair of speakers can be set up as zone 2 speakers however the manual says those speakers can only handle analog output which is no good for me as my CD player is hooked up via a digital optical cable.

Dan

No A/B switch for front speakers. That mostly appears to be a facility of receivers from yester-year

Playing files, listening to Internet radio etc via the "NET" source can be played to zone 2, as can files from an USB device or from the inbuilt radio.

With other digital devices you can do a secondary connection with RCA leads and that way create a CD analogue connection for both zone 1 &/or zone 2 together with the optical cable for when you want to listen to zone 1 only.

The main issue regarding using zone 2 for my outdoor speakers was that by utilising zone 2 meant I couldn't bi-amp my front speakers - that was a diasppointment to me. Otherwise the 609 is a very nice receiver, you should also look at the HT-RC360 which appears to be the same receiver only without the THX certification or PC mode, with a saving of around $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.