* On-Screen Display via HDMI

* Burr-Brown DACs for improved jitter and clearer sound

Comparison Chart is Shared here.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/73958065...NR509_TX-SR309

See less See more
#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatestuntman /forum/post/20592901

Have you tried another media server such as tversity? That's what I used and didn't have any problems.

I reformatted my HD and will try TVersity. Not a smart ass by any means, but I suspect it something more than enabling stream and antivirus interference. I have a WDLive player and that's able to stream everything I throw at it!

This is driving me nuts!

#656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/20600267

I reformatted my HD and will try TVersity. Not a smart ass by any means, but I suspect it something more than enabling stream and antivirus interference. I have a WDLive player and that's able to stream everything I throw at it!

This is driving me nuts!

Ok but different devices have different S protocol and Windows and Antivirus interpret it differently and may require more privileges or its own security rule via AV. All i know is that the receiver is more than capable and the problem lies with your setup and not the receiver. Also i know your not being a smartass, just trying to help ya out.....make sure you go to your music folder and right click and change its sharing options as well.

#657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpkimmel /forum/post/20600403

Ok but different devices have different S protocol and Windows and Antivirus interpret it differently and may require more privileges or its own security rule via AV. All i know is that the receiver is more than capable and the problem lies with your setup and not the receiver. Also i know your not being a smartass, just trying to help ya out.....make sure you go to your music folder and right click and change its sharing options as well.

Thanks for the prompt reply and I do appreciate any insight I can get into this problem.

I've got stream to all devices within WMP12, I've enabled share within My Music folder and TVersity is active and is sharing media, but while the IP address is close, it isn't the IP address of my 509. It's off by one digit.

I've reformatted my drive. I've reset my 509. I've installed TVersity which at least now shows a media sharing server, but the 509 refuses to acknowledge it. Funny thing is, is that when I click more streaming options within WMP12 it doesn't see the Onkyo 509 as it should.

I dunno

#658 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatestuntman /forum/post/20592901

Have you tried another media server such as tversity? That's what I used and didn't have any problems.

I seem to finally have server media established on my PC. In fact TVersity seems to be continuously updating the streaming media. I'm new with TVverstity, so do I use that program's audio player and activate DLNA on my 509 while TVersity is playing selected song?

Thanks.

#659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/20600801

I seem to finally have server media established on my PC. In fact TVersity seems to be continuously updating the streaming media. I'm new with TVverstity, so do I use that program's audio player and activate DLNA on my 509 while TVersity is playing selected song?

Thanks.

My computer is currently in pieces so I can't check it out myself. But you should just need to make sure you have the correct folders shared within tversity. I don't think anything on your computer needs to be playing song wise. Lastly load up the dlna on your 509 and see if it is finding tversity.

If so you should be able to open it up and find your music.

#660 ·
I finally figured out why my NR509 couldn't be found on my network. I was playing with my WDLive player and it stopped working, I unplugged and plugged my Dlink 309 powerline network kit and it started working again. I then tried the DLNA on the 509 and sure enough it recognized my server and it started to work! Finally!

What a long journey to find the problem. I nuked my PC and reformatted the drive. Changed routers. Installed a bunch of different software and nothing seemed to work!

Thanks to all who offered advice.

#661 ·
I have the 509 w/the latest firmware and an LG LCD TV (about 2 years old) and a Cox HD cable box. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables but I'm having problems getting audio through the TV when the receiver is off. The video stays fine but no audio. When I have the Audio TV option set to "ON" then I get audio from the TV while the receiver is on (which I don't want since it's out of synch) but then when I turn the receiver off the video stays and the audio goes away. When I set the Audio TV option to "OFF" I don't get any audio from the TV with the receiver on or off. I have tried unplugging the 509 and I have tried turning the receiver and TV on/off in varying orders and no matter what I have never gotten any audio with the receiver off. One poster earlier on seemed to indicate that he definitely had this working, so any advice here? Also, does the Lip Synch option play into this at all? (I have it off) I also have HDMI control off.

Thanks,

Jeff

#662 ·
This has been discussed in this thread elsewhere but not in enough detail that it really clicked for me until I did some playing around. So hopefully this summary will help someone else.

I have a Blu-Ray player hooked to the 509 via HDMI. Sound to the "local" (Zone 1) speakers all works great. I also have the Zone 2 line outs running to a whole-house analog audio system. However, the Onkyo manual states that Zone 2 won't output digital sources which includes HDMI obviously. So the solution was to run a second set of cables (regular RCA) from the Blu-Ray player's L/R line out to the Onkyo's BD/DVD L/R input. Now when I switch Zone 2 to Blu-Ray it is able to use the RCA/analong input while the main zone is using the HDMI. I have one of the whole-house audio speakers in the same room as this setup and the audio is perfectly in synch between the two which was actually surprising. I never thought this kind of setup would work because I was assuming that for a given input (Cable, DVD, etc.) you could only have 1 connection. But as it turns out you can connect an analog and a digital cable for the same input and completely work around the Zone 2 limitations.

#663 ·
I need some help with Wife Acceptance Factor. I just switched from a TX-SR706 with the XM mini-tuner plug-in to a HT-RC360 (NR609-lite) to support the new 3D TV. It doesn't support the XM hardware, just network streaming. I need to figure out how with just a couple of presses on the Harmony remote she can get directly to her favorite XM channels without having to turn on the TV and navigate the UI. She's used to just pressing "Listen to XM Radio" then "1", "2" etc. to change presets.

Any help in making my life easier appreciated

#664 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/20607259

I have the 509 w/the latest firmware and an LG LCD TV (about 2 years old) and a Cox HD cable box. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables but I'm having problems getting audio through the TV when the receiver is off.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, maybe the tv can't handle DD audio. Try setting your source to 2Ch PCM.

#665 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin
Hi Jeff, maybe the tv can't handle DD audio. Try setting your source to 2Ch PCM.
Sorry, what is "DD" audio? Dolby Digital perhaps? Prior to getting the 509 just the other night I've had this same cable box hooked to the TV directly for 2 years and the audio has always been fine. So whatever the box is putting out the TV can play, it just seems that the 509 strips the audio from the signal path. A few years ago I had a 606 with a different TV and I could never get this to work there either. Really hope I can figure it out this time around.

#666 ·
I have the 609 and a question. i have front, surround and back surround speakers, 7.1 set up. i also have zone 2 speakers. i am having a problem switching between 7.1 and zone 2. i have to manually turn off zone 2 to get 7.1, is this right???

my old 804 used to do this automatically it seems???

how can i keep the receiver to default at 7.1 and zone 2 on. when i am using zone 2 i am ok with 5.1 but i dont want to have to manually go into settings and turn of zone 2

is there an onkyo that allows this option? i hate manually going into settings and turning off zone 2 to use 7.1

#667 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr /forum/post/20610639

I have the 609 and a question. i have front, surround and back surround speakers, 7.1 set up. i also have zone 2 speakers. i am having a problem switching between 7.1 and zone 2. i have to manually turn off zone 2 to get 7.1, is this right???

how can i keep the receiver to default at 7.1 and zone 2 on. when i am using zone 2 i am ok with 5.1 but i dont want to have to manually go into settings and turn of zone 2

is there an onkyo that allows this option? i hate manually going into settings and turning off zone 2 to use 7.1

Yes that's how I understand it with the 609. Either zone 2 or rear speakers. Either zone 2 or bi-amping. Either rear speakers or bi-amping. You get to choose, one of the options only.

It's a pity for you, but an even bigger one for me as I use zone 2 for patio speakers but would like to bi-amp my main speakers, at least you can go into the menu and do a switch for what you want to do.

#669 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff__B /forum/post/0

I have the 509 w/the latest firmware and an LG LCD TV (about 2 years old) and a Cox HD cable box. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables but I'm having problems getting audio through the TV when the receiver is off. The video stays fine but no audio. When I have the Audio TV option set to "ON" then I get audio from the TV while the receiver is on (which I don't want since it's out of synch) but then when I turn the receiver off the video stays and the audio goes away. When I set the Audio TV option to "OFF" I don't get any audio from the TV with the receiver on or off. I have tried unplugging the 509 and I have tried turning the receiver and TV on/off in varying orders and no matter what I have never gotten any audio with the receiver off. One poster earlier on seemed to indicate that he definitely had this working, so any advice here? Also, does the Lip Synch option play into this at all? (I have it off) I also have HDMI control off.

Thanks,

Jeff

I had a similar problem with a 609. Try reseting it by holding VCR and DVR and pushing the power button. Mine would for a few days this way and then stop. I was able to exchange it for a new one. So far, it works.

For it to work, You need hdmi passthrough on and the tv audio needs to be off. Lip sync only has an affect on TVs that support it.

#671 ·
Direct mode is the setting for listening to CD's or any music you wish to listen to in stereo with surround sound processing switched off.

You should go into the menu and set things there so that when you want to play a bluray it'll start in dolby digital if that's your preference, it is mine.

See page 55 of the instruction manual.

#672 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbrit /forum/post/20614222

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr /forum/post/20610639

Yes that's how I understand it with the 609. Either zone 2 or rear speakers. Either zone 2 or bi-amping. Either rear speakers or bi-amping. You get to choose, one of the options only.

It's a pity for you, but an even bigger one for me as I use zone 2 for patio speakers but would like to bi-amp my main speakers, at least you can go into the menu and do a switch for what you want to do.

Hi there,

I think this behavior (switching from 7.1 to 5.1 when activating "Zone 2" and remaining in 5.1 when deactivating "Zone 2" again instead of going back to 7.1) can be changed with a firmware update by Onkyo!

So everyone who wants to have a switchable "Zone 2" with a 7.1 setup (and automatic 5.1 fallback while "Zone 2" is active) should contact Onkyo - that's the best chance for getting a firmware update for this!

Bye,

OllieW

#673 ·
I was loving it until the last update was downloaded !!

I stream a lot of media thru my PS3 (netflix, media network,etc). Recently, I've started noticing that the receiver turns off and back on while streaming. It also looses video (while audio is running) and just audio (while video is running) at times..

Anyone else see this ?

#675 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush0man
I have the exact same issue with the 509. As long as the program is Dolby all is good. During a commercial of the same program, I notice a slight chopping of the audio.

I have tried two different U-vesrse boxes with the same results.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Did you guys come up with a solution for the uverse audio issue? I finally got around to connecting my speakers and my 609 has the same issue. Around every 20 seconds the audio cuts out for a split second.

#676 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbrit
Direct mode is the setting for listening to CD's or any music you wish to listen to in stereo with surround sound processing switched off.

You should go into the menu and set things there so that when you want to play a bluray it'll start in dolby digital if that's your preference, it is mine.

See page 55 of the instruction manual.
No, hit display on your remote and see what audio is being sent to receiver, then hit the audio button on the remote and chose that option, remember the receiver remembers the type of audio received from a source and the output you last chose for that stream, so you will need to change it to what the receiver is getting from source. *609

#677 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan /forum/post/20624518

Did you guys come up with a solution for the uverse audio issue? I finally got around to connecting my speakers and my 609 has the same issue. Around every 20 seconds the audio cuts out for a split second.

I changed the uverse sound settings to DD to reproduce this issue...

No luck so far....

Tried HBO,showtime and some local channels (all in HD tho')

#678 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghublr /forum/post/20631888

I changed the uverse sound settings to DD to reproduce this issue...

No luck so far....

Tried HBO,showtime and some local channels (all in HD tho')

Change your cable service provider and your problem will be solved. Or change your Connection from HDMI to any other type that your box allows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.