AVS Forum banner
482K views 2K replies 336 participants last post by  shadow_zero 
#1 ·
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.

Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings

-Picture Adjustments menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 95

Brightness: 54

Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Motionflow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD

Picture mode: Custom

Backlight - 5

Contrast - 89

Brightness - 57

Color - 50

Hue - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color temperature - Warm2

Noise reduction -Off

Mpeg noise reduction -Off

Motionflow On

Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma - 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

Detail/Edge enhancer Off

R Gain -10

G Gain -9

B Gain 0

R Bias -2

G Bias -1

B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723

Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)

Backlight: 9

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)

Motionflow: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2

Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only

White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROS AND CONS

CONS

1) Crosstalk

See less See more
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/0

I'm not sure yet. I will be testing backlight at 2 and Warm 2 and backlight at 5 and Neutral in the next couple of days.

Neutral plus a higher backlight will surely generate a brighter picture, but nowadays I find it bluer than usual thus Bytehoven suggested a -2 in Blue Bias. Worked well for me.

Right now I have yet to zero in with settings that I'm content with. Especially with the Light Sensor. I'm sitting 6-7 feet from my 46 incher. Sharpness at 0-50 really look similar to me, almost no change.

Maybe a good weekend (Wed-Thurs for me lol) will give me enough time to test further and report. Happy with CNET settings, watched Pirates 1. If it wasnt for that darned DSE then I'll be happier.

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20585158

To those with Light Sensor Off,

Don't you find the black levels lacking? I mean the top and bottom black borders are like blue/purpleish. Plus when it's an all black scenes clouding is everywhere!

Couldn't last a day with it Off. Turned it back On. 5 Backlight for Daytime viewing, 2 for night.

EDIT:

All Side by Side 3D content sucks. I just realized. Downloaded Virtua Tennis 4 and it was Cross Talk galore for me. Seems like niko and bitter are right and I'm afraid that it's an All TV issue. No problems whatsoever with my Blu Rays though so I'm happy with that. (And Crysis 2!)

I'll try to adjust my eyes with the light sensor on, since yes, the blacks are amazing that way. However I don't know how you can view it with your backlight at only at 2 to 5 since I'm currently sitting at 10 and I find the picture to be a tad too dim. Viewing movies that way is great at night, so I'll keep that in mind, but it might not be bright enough for games.

Where did you download the Virtua Tennis 4 3D demo btw, or are you talking about the 3D video on PSN?

#254 ·
I was using RGB Full for Xbox but i started getting some freezing so fearing a red ring, I went back to 709
I prefer neutral as well because it is more of a computer monitor look as opposed to a film look, and the whites are excellent on this TV. White is actually white instead of reddish or bluish.

10 backlight too dim?!? That must be the light sensor. I remember cranking mine up to 10 and thinking "why doesn't it look as bright as retail mode?" before I turned off power saver and light sensor.

#255 ·
I was referring to the video off PSN.

Side by Side does suck with this TV, that I agree with. NBA 2K11 is not THAT bad though (I believe it's also SBS since MotionFlow is greyed). The only problem I have with it is the framerate. Sometimes it really lags but setting the IP Conversion to Speed helped massage it. I also noticed some crosstalk.

Regarding the Light Sensor. In lights off mode, Light Sensor ON helps with the screen but then again it really is too dim for anyone's liking. I'll try it with OFF, and cut my fingers in the mean time so that I don't change picture settings on a daily basis. I'll try it with Off and MotionFlow set to Clear for now.

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20589396

I was using RGB Full for Xbox but i started getting some freezing so fearing a red ring, I went back to 709
I prefer neutral as well because it is more of a computer monitor look as opposed to a film look, and the whites are excellent on this TV. White is actually white instead of reddish or bluish.

10 backlight too dim?!? That must be the light sensor. I remember cranking mine up to 10 and thinking "why doesn't it look as bright as retail mode?" before I turned off power saver and light sensor.

Yeah I'm talking about 10 with the light sensor on
. Without it I'm down to 2, combined with Power Saving Low (I like my picture to have the best blacks possible)

#257 ·
Cable TV Calibrated Via Light Sensor On In Dark Room

Picture Mode: Custom

Picture: 95

Color: 53

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Auto

CineMotion: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Detail Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality

--White Balance menu--

--Screen menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Wide Mode: Full

Auto Wide: Off

4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]

Auto Display Area: Off

Display Area: Normal

Screen Position: [grayed out]

--Pro Picture Setup menu--

[all settings default/Auto]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--

General

--Eco menu--

Power Saving: Off

Light Sensor: On

#258 ·
Warmed up the set this time for a few hours and recalibrated it with DVE and AVS Calibration Disc (both on HD DVD on the HD-XA2), since the PS3 clips the blacks.

Quote:
Power Saving: Low

Light Sensor: Off

Picture Mode: Custom / Game-Original

Picture: 94 (3D: Max)

Color: 52

Color Temperature: Warm 1

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: Off

CineMotion: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (3D: High)

Gamma: 0 (3D: +1)

Detail Enhancer: Off (3D: High)

Skin Naturalizer: Off

i/p Conversion Preference: (3D: Speed)

--White Balance menu--

As far as 3D Side-by-Side mode goes, I downloaded the demo of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile demo on my 360 since I remembered seeing a 3D mode for the game. Turned the option on and switched the 3D Display to Side-by-Side and it looks great, I didn't even noticed much crosstalk, if any at all actually. Too bad there aren't any more available on the store that I'm aware of so I can test it any further.

Edit: Found another: 3D Infinity (XBLA Indy Games). The 3D menu looks AWFUL. However once in-game it doesn't look too bad, especially comparing to the menu. Crosstalk is noticeable but bearable. Looks like the 3D quality depends on the source.

#259 ·
Dishwasher 2 has very subtle 3D so that's why you don't see it. Try Crysis 2. The top 1/4 of the screen looks TERRIBLE. I Just beat CoD Black Ops again and that didn't look too bad, but there is the dreaded double vision at the top of the screen. Compared to Crysis, the 3D effect is minimal, so the crosstaqlk is less noticable. Crysis actually looks better if you dial the 3D Depth down to 0 (default is 50); you can actually see the images at the top of the screen coming together as you dial it down.

#260 ·
I just got a 32EX720 from Amazon and there is something that looks like an oily greasy film on the screen that I can't fully remove. I've tried using dry microfiber cloths and microfiber cloths with distilled water and with soap water they didn't work nor did two different lcd cleaning gels. Anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion on what to try? Should I just try and return it?

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollord /forum/post/20591820

I just got a 32EX720 from Amazon and there is something that looks like an oily greasy film on the screen that I can't fully remove. I've tried using dry microfiber cloths and microfiber cloths with distilled water and with soap water they didn't work nor did two different lcd cleaning gels. Anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion on what to try? Should I just try and return it?

I have it on my set too. It's what I call the Dirty Screen (Effect). You'll notice it more when the camera pans between scenes.

I'm researching on the matter more. Haven't tried cleaning it with liquid yet (I'm scared that it might do harm to the screen). Maybe someone with extensive experience on this Dirty Screen effect may help us. For now, it's irritating me but not enough to make me bash the set. (Though I've called already for home visit)

#263 ·
Nice to see everyone's comments on their experiences.

I got the 55EX620 as a replacement for my 55WF655 and because there is not much difference in the panel between EX620 and EX720 (except for 3D), I decided to post it here as it seems the EX720 is the more popular model.

I love the quality of this television set, however, on cable tv (Rogers HD box somehow stuck on 1080i resolution) or on ps3 blu ray, I am seeing that though the blacks are ready rich in intensity, their colour depth is too deep. For example, when I see Black Hawk Down on blu ray, the black is so deep that I can't even make out the dark scenes (including skin tones) in many cases. This is true during morning (lots of sunlight) or the evening as well (almost dark room)

Settings:

* Stock settings with scene selected to auto

Environment:

* Wall hung at around seating height

* Plenty of light coming into the room from the left wall (its all windows on the left wall).

Anyone have any idea on what to do to make the blacks / darker environments a little better to see?

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20592877

I do not see this greasy film you guys have... but then again I cleaned my screen with windex wipes right out of the box

I tried Backlight 2 Warm 2 last night... holy bejeebus, you guys must really like sepia filters

LOL! I don't know. Have you tried implementing the White Balance though? It's barely sepia for me now.

In my former sets I'll admit that Warm 2 sucks, but this set seems to nail it.

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_y /forum/post/20592967

Nice to see everyone's comments on their experiences.

I got the 55EX620 as a replacement for my 55WF655 and because there is not much difference in the panel between EX620 and EX720 (except for 3D), I decided to post it here as it seems the EX720 is the more popular model.

I love the quality of this television set, however, on cable tv (Rogers HD box somehow stuck on 1080i resolution) or on ps3 blu ray, I am seeing that though the blacks are ready rich in intensity, their colour depth is too deep. For example, when I see Black Hawk Down on blu ray, the black is so deep that I can't even make out the dark scenes (including skin tones) in many cases. This is true during morning (lots of sunlight) or the evening as well (almost dark room)

Settings:

* Stock settings with scene selected to auto

Environment:

* Wall hung at around seating height

* Plenty of light coming into the room from the left wall (its all windows on the left wall).

Anyone have any idea on what to do to make the blacks / darker environments a little better to see?

I can't remember the default settings but it is essential that you edit your settings away from the default. People in here will tell you that the Advance Settings will veer away from the "natural picture" look.

Now that you mentioned plenty of light coming, you have to counter that with a higher backlight. Plus, remember to turn off Light Senser from the System Settings -> Eco. It's ON by default, and drastically dims the picture.

For starters, you can try this and it will make a notable improvelent on your darker environments.

Light Sensor: OFF

Backlight: 5

Brightness: 51

Color Temp: Neutral

#266 ·
Stock settings also have Contrast Enhancer and Black Enhancer ON- I would turn them OFF. Turn off everything under Advanced Settings and try what Cali said. Use Scene->General-> Custom. If that still looks too dark, try bumping up the Gamma under Advanced settings. Black Hawk Down is a very dark movie tho- it was filmed to have a very stark contrast between deep black.

Also under Eco- turn off Power Saver for now, to see if that helps you.

#267 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool
To those with Light Sensor Off,

Don't you find the black levels lacking? I mean the top and bottom black borders are like blue/purpleish. Plus when it's an all black scenes clouding is everywhere!

Couldn't last a day with it Off. Turned it back On. 5 Backlight for Daytime viewing, 2 for night.

EDIT:

All Side by Side 3D content sucks. I just realized. Downloaded Virtua Tennis 4 and it was Cross Talk galore for me. Seems like niko and bitter are right and I'm afraid that it's an All TV issue. No problems whatsoever with my Blu Rays though so I'm happy with that. (And Crysis 2!)
Does Alice in wonderland look good to you in 3D, it looked like complete crap to me?

#268 ·
I'll check for you. So far I've only watched Monster House, Resident Evil, Step Up, Legends of the Guardian in 3D. (With a lot of backlog!) All exhibited normal behavior, but noticed on Step Up that some scenes were blurry. Especially the highly touted "first battle" scene that everyone was raving about. Turned off MotionFlow along with Cinemotion and it was really fine after that. No ghosting whatsover.

What saddens me though, is that LCDs have perpetual problems. Why can't we just have a perfect set? The Main Event has clouding issues, niko and bitter has crosstalk issues, I have DSE. We just can't catch a break. I also give up on this hobby. Seems like a yearly change of TV wont do it for me now. Maye I'll wait for 3-4 years before I buy a new one regardless of the brand.

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20597845

I'll check for you. So far I've only watched Monster House, Resident Evil, Step Up, Legends of the Guardian in 3D. (With a lot of backlog!) All exhibited normal behavior, but noticed on Step Up that some scenes were blurry. Especially the highly touted "first battle" scene that everyone was raving about. Turned off MotionFlow along with Cinemotion and it was really fine after that. No ghosting whatsover.

What saddens me though, is that LCDs have perpetual problems. Why can't we just have a perfect set? The Main Event has clouding issues, niko and bitter has crosstalk issues, I have DSE. We just can't catch a break. I also give up on this hobby. Seems like a yearly change of TV wont do it for me now. Maye I'll wait for 3-4 years before I buy a new one regardless of the brand.

This replacement LCD will be my 5th different TV in 2 years. There always seems to be some issue. These companies need to get better quality control. Really the best one ive had so far is the 46inch Sony thats in my bedroom.

#270 ·
I now have the 3D glasses for this tv.

My initial impression from some simulated 2d to 3d viewing over cable tv is that the good of it outweighs the bad.

#272 ·
Playing some Invincible Tiger on the Live Arcade and witnessing nothing short of crystal clear 3D! I am satisfied and thrilled to have the glasses now.

#275 ·
OK, I just played the demo of Invincible Tiger (xbox), and in the first level of Trial mode, there is a tree at the top of the screen. In both side by side and top and bottom 3D modes, I see significant crosstalk on that tree- there's practically 2 of them. The other 3D modes (checker, horizontal interlace, vertical interlace) do not work for me- the TV does not auto switch to 3D. Anyone else with a 360, give it a try.

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20600873

OK, I just played the demo of Invincible Tiger (xbox), and in the first level of Trial mode, there is a tree at the top of the screen. In both side by side and top and bottom 3D modes, I see significant crosstalk on that tree- there's practically 2 of them. The other 3D modes (checker, horizontal interlace, vertical interlace) do not work for me- the TV does not auto switch to 3D. Anyone else with a 360, give it a try.

Looking for things like this isn't going to help anything. Overall I'd say this television does a "fine" job of displaying 3D.

Just confirmed that someone who has a GT25 Panasonic Plasma sees the same thing on the same tree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.