AVS Forum banner

X-Rite's Revolutionary New Colorimeter

165K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  PSUHammer 
#1 ·
X-Rite has developed a new and I think ground-breaking colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro III, which most will probably refer to as simply the Display 3.

It is not simply an update to the Display 2. It is a completely different design with an unprecedented price/performance ratio.

For a full review and online demos, see the ChromaPure web site .

See less See more
#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/20603214

I hope a stock unit will work with CM.

ChromaPure Standard comes with support for one meter included in the purchase price. Support for each additional meter is $100.

ChromaPure Professional supports an unlimited number of meters. To add a meter, simply contact ChromaPure and they will update your license free of charge.

#79 ·
If I was to buy ChromaPure for $180 (don't currently have it) and buy the ColorMunki Display for $189 elsewhere, could I still have the PRO upgrade done on it for an additional $125? Is there any hardware advantage to getting the i1Display Pro instead?

#80 ·
Greetings:

I decided to buy the Display Pro 3 and use the included software to calibrate

my new Panasonic (TC-P55VT30).

Would you guys thing I'll be out of my depth! and basically it is a waste of time

going it alone this way?!

Or I should bite the bullet and get a package with Calman or Chromapure?

Would appreciate any input.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnteeee /forum/post/20603701

Greetings:

I decided to buy the Display Pro 3 and use the included software to calibrate

my new Panasonic (TC-P55VT30).

Would you guys thing I'll be out of my depth! and basically it is a waste of time

going it alone this way?!

Or I should bite the bullet and get a package with Calman or Chromapure?

Would appreciate any input.

The included software is generally aimed at PC displays, not TV displays.

CALMAN or ChromaPure are aimed at TV displays and projectors.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey /forum/post/20603775

The included software is generally aimed at PC displays, not TV displays.

CALMAN or ChromaPure are aimed at TV displays and projectors.

If your using your TV as your PC monitor its should be ok.

I`d be curious to know how the x-rite software performs without chromapure, as the new i1 display 3 must have had a major software rewrite to match the new hardware.

+ i heard theres extra options for new generation displays such as LED + newer projectors etc

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20603860

If your using your TV as your PC monitor its should be ok.

I`d be curious to know how the x-rite software performs without chromapure, as the new i1 display 3 must have had a major software rewrite to match the new hardware.

+ i heard theres extra options for new generation displays such as LED + newer projectors etc

I am curious about this too, if they come with some calibration software for TVs and PJs.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnteeee /forum/post/20604095

Thanks Ranger.

So I could purchase the meter from the manufacturer and just opt for Chromapure software only.

Right?!!

ChromaPure:
Adding Additional Meter or Signal Generator Support
ChromaPure Standard comes with support for one meter included in the purchase price. Support for each additional meter is $100. You may also purchase ChromaPure Plus, which adds support for the AccuPel family of video test pattern generators. ChromaPure Professional includes support for unlimited meters and all of the supported test pattern generators.

#90 ·
The new Sony 30ES front projector boasts new calibration controls:

"The VPL-HW30ES offers Real Color Processing Version 2" function to adjust the colour and hue of each target colour of the projected picture independently.

Additionally, version 2 adds the ability to adjust the brightness at the same time. With this capability, dealer and enthusiastic users can tweak the images to perfection."

Can this new meter and software be just the hot-ticket to adjust each target color, tint and now brightness? Or will there need to be an update?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/20604761

"The VPL-HW30ES offers Real Color Processing Version 2" function to adjust the colour and hue of each target colour of the projected picture independently.

Additionally, version 2 adds the ability to adjust the brightness at the same time. With this capability, dealer and enthusiastic users can tweak the images to perfection."

Can this new meter and software be just the hot-ticket to adjust each target color, tint and now brightness? Or will there need to be an update?

The meter and software don't adjust - you do with the remote. The exception would be if the PJ had IFFccc and there was sofware to interface with it. The meter and software merely give you information.

Maybe I don't understand what you are asking??? Your question about updating is throwing me off....

#92 ·
Sony's RCP feature has never been very useful because the color adjustment was really just a chroma gain control, similar to the main color control except it was targeted to work for specific colors. It sounds like the version 2 RCP turns this into a full-fledged CMS with independent control over saturation, hue, and luminance.

And, yes, ChromaPure offers full control over color management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/20604761

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits /forum/post/20605706

If I have a i1 pro then I don't need to order i1 dispay 3 PRO since i1 d3 meter(not PRO) can be profiled by i1pro and will have no problem with LED TVs, etc.? Or i1d3 PRO is still preferred?

Thnx in advance,

freebits

There should be no difference between the Pro and non-Pro versions in this regard.

----

I asked the local X-Rite representative and he didn't directly answer my question about the rebate (I guess he didn't even hear about it, that's why he didn't give a direct NO answer either) but he gave me a price which I think is higher than I would end up with ordering it from the US and it will be available after ~1 month. I didn't find any suitable US sellers yet but I don't need to rush, I wouldn't be able to use it the way I want until ArgyllCMS will support it (unknown if ever but I guess it won't take too long).

#95 ·
If you already have an i1Pro, then paying extra for the Display 3 PRO would probably be overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits /forum/post/20605706

If I have a i1 pro then I don't need to order i1 dispay 3 PRO since i1 d3 meter(not PRO) can be profiled by i1pro and will have no problem with LED TVs, etc.? Or i1d3 PRO is still preferred?

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSloan /forum/post/20607660

Does HCFR support these devices yet? If not, do they usually release updates in a timely manner?

The last update to HCFR was almost 2.5 years ago (Jan 17, 2009). I may be mistaken but I thought the developers moved on to other things.

Kal

#98 ·
Ok ive have just placed my order for the Chromapure 2.2 standard software with upgraded Colormunki display 3 as found on chromapure.co.uk

I`m hoping i`ve made the right choice, its my understanding that the colormunki is exactly the same hardware as the i1 display 3, and the chromapure software will access 100% of the features as found in the i1display 3.

The normal x-rite software for the i1 display 3 has ticks next to the following options below but the regular software for colormunki doesnt have ticks next to them, so i really need to know:

Can chromapure software be able to measure

with upgraded colormunkie White Point, & white luminances?

Can chrompure enable colormunkie display 3 for tone response (1.8, 2.2, 3.0, sRGB)

Looking forward to calibrating my 3 LCD/ 3LED projector

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20607728

The normal x-rite software for the i1 display 3 has ticks next to the following options below but the regular software for colormunki doesnt have ticks next to them, so i really need to know:

Can chromapure software be able to measure

with upgraded colormunkie White Point, & white luminances?

Can chrompure enable colormunkie display 3 for tone response (1.8, 2.2, 3.0, sRGB)

These are limitations for X-Rite iProfiler Software only. It's some menu based options before the auto-calibration of PC Monitors with X-Rite Software.

#100 ·
I suppose what i`m really asking is:

Will colormunki display 3 with chromapure software give exactly the same performance of the i1 display 3 using chrompure software.

is there any options that colormunki wont be able to access which are available to the i1 display 3?

Would i have been better off buying the i1 display 3 with chromapure rather than the colormunki display 3 with chromapure.

#101 ·
No. The 5x speed advantage of the i1 Display Pro III is a firmware difference in the meter. That's why it is a little more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk /forum/post/20607999

I suppose what i`m really asking is:

Will colormunki display 3 with chromapure software give exactly the same performance of the i1 display 3 using chrompure software.

is there any options that colormunki wont be able to access which are available to the i1 display 3?

Would i have been better off buying the i1 display 3 with chromapure rather than the colormunki display 3 with chromapure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.