AVS Forum banner

DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here.

214K views 1K replies 199 participants last post by  amer.zahid 
#1 ·

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/d...ol4-streaming/

Right on time, Denon's dropped the details on its hardware for 2010 on us. Taking top honors are two Blu-ray players: the DBP-2011UDCI ($799, August, not pictured) and the DBP-1611UD ($399, June, pictured above) that are touted as "true universal players"; with DVD-Audio and SACD playback out of the box and Blu-ray 3D on the way in a fall firmware update the company's confident they'll play most any 5-inch optical media you may be able to get your hands on. If you're past discs don't worry, Netflix, DLNA and YouTube streaming is also part of the deal.

SACD + Netflix + 3D future proofing. Pretty unique combination if you ask me. If the 1611 ends up at $299 street price, it could be pretty compelling and a must have for me

DENON® EXPANDS ITS ADVANCED UNIVERSAL BLU-RAY LINEUP

WITH TWO NEW 3D-READY HIGH-PERFORMANCE MODELS

--BD Live, 3D-Ready Players Include Netflix, YouTube Streaming and 1GB On-Board Memory--

Mahwah, NJ, April 26, 2010 – Denon Electronics, a premier manufacturer of high-quality home entertainment components celebrating 100 years of innovation and technology leadership in 2010, is providing discriminating consumers the opportunity to enjoy an enriched Blu-ray experience with the addition of two new 3D-Ready Universal Blu-ray players to its lineup. The new models, with expected SRP and availability in parenthesis, include the DBP-2011UDCI (SRP: $799, Aug.) and the DBP-1611UD (SRP: $399, June) that will join Denon's DBP-4010UDCI (SRP: $1,999) and critically acclaimed DVD-A1UDCI (SRP: $4,499) Universal Blu-ray Disc Players in the company's line of Blu-ray components, which also includes the S-5BD BD/Receiver (SRP: $1,799), a single-component that combines a 5.1-channel surround sound receiver with an advanced Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player.

3D-Readiness, Ultimate Quality Audio, True "Universal" Players

Denon's Blu-ray players represent the leading edge in performance and features for the fast-growing high-definition format. The "universal" Blu-ray models provide superior playback of virtually all 5-inch silver discs. To ensure total future-readiness, an upcoming firmware update is scheduled to be available in the fall for 3D capability in the new Blu-ray players. In addition to their ultimate-quality video reproduction, all Denon players reflect the company's longstanding heritage as an audio leader, offering impeccable high-resolution sonic playback, including DVD-Audio and SACD.

Exciting New Content Opportunities, More On-Board Memory

Both new Universal Denon Blu-ray players provide easy and straightforward access to the Internet, opening up new content and networking opportunities. For instance, both offer Netflix* and YouTube streaming and are DLNA 1.5-certified for audio/video/photo streaming with other DLNA certified products across a network. In addition to their many innovative interactivity features, including built-in BD Live and "Bonus View" functionality, they offer leading-edge Web access features with 1GB** of on-board memory for BD-Live playback and a USB connector for additional external memory for media and BD-Live content. The players are designed to enhance a consumer's total home entertainment experience with features such as Kodak Picture CD compatibility, as well as DivX HD+, MP3 and WMA playback (all via either recordable DVD/CD or external memory).

Noted Phil Cohn, Sr. Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Denon Electronics: "As we celebrate our centennial this year, Denon is reaffirming our core principle to provide customers with the best possible options for elevating their home entertainment experience. With our new Universal Blu-ray products, we now offer consumers the best that this exciting new format has to offer, delivering all the audio and video power intended by content providers, as well as a greater level of interactivity and Internet access."

In the new Denon Blu-ray players, ultimate quality audio and video playback is assured. Notably, the new DBP-2011UDCI features inclusion of the very latest Anchor Bay Technologies decoding Engine and Scalar, as well as all-new Burr-Brown 32-Bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs on all channels for unprecedented high-definition audio playback. For ultimate-quality image resolution, both new players feature HDMI v1.4a outputs with 3D and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) capability and 36-Bit Deep Color. Further enhancing performance, they feature independent pathways for interlaced and progressive display, plus the DBP-2011UDCI has a full complement of advanced decoding circuitry, with decoding of all the latest HD audio formats from Dolby and dts.

Not only do both the new Denon models feature the capability to stream content from the Internet, they join all other players in the company's Universal Blu-ray lineup that are able to utilize their onboard Ethernet ports for BD-Live and firmware update access. Designed as an ideal solution for custom installation, the DBP-2011UDCI includes an RS-232 port for third-party controllers.

See less See more
#803 ·
Hi Guy's,

I'm concidering one of these units (1611) to compliment my Oppo BD-83. Split the load. A few Question if I may.

1. Can you update firmware via USB?

2. I will be using with a Denon AVR3808. I see other users using this combo. Any issues?

3. Is everyone generally happy with BD playback? This will all it's used for.

Ta Dono

#804 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas /forum/post/20575286

I'm concidering one of these units (1611) to compliment my Oppo BD-83. Split the load. A few Question if I may.

3. Is everyone generally happy with BD playback? This will all it's used for.

Ta Dono

I don't know about the first two questions... I updated mine over the network and I have a Yamaha AVR.

On the BD playback, I will refer you to the detailed review I posted on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/RAHW2M8...tag=&linkCode=

I gave the unit 4 stars and would recommend it to others, if the price is right (and right now the prices are pretty low and falling...).

#805 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch /forum/post/20576481

I don't know about the first two questions... I updated mine over the network and I have a Yamaha AVR.

On the BD playback, I will refer you to the detailed review I posted on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/RAHW2M8...tag=&linkCode=

I gave the unit 4 stars and would recommend it to others, if the price is right (and right now the prices are pretty low and falling...).

Thanks man,

Great detailed review. Can I ask?

1. DVD layer change. How was this? Does it pause long?

2. You mentioned the fan. Is it engaged all the time? Is it as noisy as say a PS3?

I have a very quiet projector with a little fan noise, so a little fan noise may not be noticable in my situation.

Link to my gear:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=Badas

Ta Dono

#806 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas /forum/post/20590290

Thanks man,

Great detailed review. Can I ask?

1. DVD layer change. How was this? Does it pause long?

2. You mentioned the fan. Is it engaged all the time? Is it as noisy as say a PS3?

I have a very quiet projector with a little fan noise, so a little fan noise may not be noticable in my situation.

Link to my gear:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=Badas

Ta Dono

Nice 'gear link'... I am jealous.

Layer change delay... hmmm... I don't know. I've watched a few movies, but I can't say I've noticed anything. I can't recall the last time I noticed a layer change, between using my previous PS3 and then Sony BDP-S470 & S580.

The fan noise is very minimal, as is the disc spinning noise, once the movie is running. For example, when you initially load the disc or it's sitting on a main menu, the disc tends to spin much faster than when the film is playing. Once the film is playing, I can't really recall hearing anything *except* the occasional laser head tracking sounds, which is also minimal.

One thing I should mention: when I listen to DVD-A/SACD, the laser head tracking sound is non-existent, except when changing tracks. These mechanical sounds drive me batty, but I am not willing to pay 2-3X the cost of this unit to make it go away (all of the less expensive models suffer from some variation of mechanical noise).

#807 ·
Thanks for all your help Krutsch.

I'm going to go ahead and get it. I've ordered one. Store out of stock, however they will have latter this week. I only attend to use it on Zone B blu-rays (my region) and the occasional DVD. Oppo will do Zone A. I will now have three different blu player in my rack. 6 in the home.

Ta Dono

#808 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas
Thanks for all your help Krutsch.

I'm going to go ahead and get it. I've ordered one. Store out of stock, however they will have latter this week. I only attend to use it on Zone B blu-rays (my region) and the occasional DVD. Oppo will do Zone A. I will now have three different blu player in my rack. 6 in the home.

Ta Dono
Badas,

I thought it was just me with multiple transports.
I have 6 also. 3 Oppos (BDP-83, BDP-93 and BDP-95, a Sony BDP-S5000ES and 2 Pioneer BDP-320.

The BDP-95 and Sony are in my home theater along with a Yamaha DVD-S1800BL.
I was considering a DBP-2012UDCI, but the scarcity and Denon dragging their feet to release the unit kind of took it out of the running and upon further comparison the BDP-95 just offered more for the price difference. However, the DBP-2012UDCI would have fit nicely with my AVR-A100.

Willie

#809 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi
Badas,

I thought it was just me with multiple transports.
I have 6 also. 3 Oppos (BDP-83, BDP-93 and BDP-95, a Sony BDP-S5000ES and 2 Pioneer BDP-320.

The BDP-95 and Sony are in my home theater along with a Yamaha DVD-S1800BL.
I was considering a DBP-2012UDCI, but the scarcity and Denon dragging their feet to release the unit kind of took it out of the running and upon further comparison the BDP-95 just offered more for the price difference. However, the DBP-2012UDCI would have fit nicely with my AVR-A100.

Willie
Bakerwi,

The Quality of your players are better than mine tho. I have the PS3 slim, Oppo 83 (multi Zoned) and now the Denon 1611 in the HT room. 2 x PS3's in the lounge (1 to do Zone A and one for Zone B). The PS3's work well because they sit in the Garage and work using bluetooth. Lastly the Oppo 80 (multizoned) in the bedroom.

I figure having many scatered arround the house work well as backup's if anything goes wrong.

I have always wanted a Denon in the HT room. They look sooo pretty. I have previously had the 2500 Transport. It blew up, smoke and all and the 1610. Returned it after a week because of a pausing issue.

I hope this is better.

Ta Dono

#810 ·
Okay,

I'm very happy with this player. Got it setup last night and had a 4 hour play with it.

Turned off all powersave options, BD Live and 3D.

It played all blu-ray really well. Yes it takes a long time to open, however once a disc was inserted I found it quick. Avatar was a lot quicker than my Oppo BD-83.

I found the Setup easy, some may struggle. The only curve ball I got was to turn the mixed audio off using the mode button. So I could bitstream to my AVR. However I got it.

Pro's: Looks. Matches my Denon AVR 3808 well, BD Playback, SACD, DVD Audio and CD. Fan is quiet.

Cons: DVD playback. I have a 104" screen using a DILA projector. It shows every flaw. This player just can't compete with the Oppo on DVD upscaling.

For me I just don't care. I only have 25 DVD's left in my collection and I can use the Oppo.

Some have critisized the GUI. I liked it. However I have used a lot of Denon products and I am use to their logic.

Just my intial thoughts.

Ta Dono

#811 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas
Okay,

I'm very happy with this player. Got it setup last night and had a 4 hour play with it.

Turned off all powersave options, BD Live and 3D.

It played all blu-ray really well. Yes it takes a long time to open, however once a disc was inserted I found it quick. Avatar was a lot quicker than my Oppo BD-83.

I found the Setup easy, some may struggle. The only curve ball I got was to turn the mixed audio off using the mode button. So I could bitstream to my AVR. However I got it.

Pro's: Looks. Matches my Denon AVR 3808 well, BD Playback, SACD, DVD Audio and CD. Fan is quiet.

Cons: DVD playback. I have a 104" screen using a DILA projector. It shows every flaw. This player just can't compete with the Oppo on DVD upscaling.

For me I just don't care. I only have 25 DVD's left in my collection and I can use the Oppo.

Some have critisized the GUI. I liked it. However I have used a lot of Denon products and I am use to their logic.

Just my intial thoughts.

Ta Dono
Ta Dono,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new purchase. I hope it serves you well for as long as you own it.

Willie

#812 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas /forum/post/20609411

Cons: DVD playback. I have a 104" screen using a DILA projector. It shows every flaw. This player just can't compete with the Oppo on DVD upscaling. For me I just don't care. I only have 25 DVD's left in my collection and I can use the Oppo.

I have not seen the Oppo BDP-93 and its upscaling capabilities, but now I am more curious to try one.

I have a ton of DVDs, but have been archiving them onto my Mac Mini w/ Drobo storage and playing through an Apple TV 2 (my wife and daughter just refused to put away the discs, which drove me crazy, so I solved that problem by putting them all on to a hard drive
)

However, many of my early transfers were over compressed and while my family doesn't care, I have gone back to the discs for movies I really like (and I've been buying more Blu-rays). I am thinking seriously about purchasing a BDP-93 and moving the Denon 1611UD upstairs to my listening system for SACD and DVD-A playback.

Anyway, glad to hear the 1611UD is working out and I agree with you: it's a nice looking unit.

#813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch /forum/post/20611506

I have not seen the Oppo BDP-93 and its upscaling capabilities, but now I am more curious to try one.

I have a ton of DVDs, but have been archiving them onto my Mac Mini w/ Drobo storage and playing through an Apple TV 2 (my wife and daughter just refused to put away the discs, which drove me crazy, so I solved that problem by putting them all on to a hard drive
)

However, many of my early transfers were over compressed and while my family doesn't care, I have gone back to the discs for movies I really like (and I've been buying more Blu-rays). I am thinking seriously about purchasing a BDP-93 and moving the Denon 1611UD upstairs to my listening system for SACD and DVD-A playback.

Anyway, glad to hear the 1611UD is working out and I agree with you: it's a nice looking unit.

I have the Oppo BDP-83 not the 93.

However I can tell you this. When I first got it I did a DVD test between

The Oppo BDP-83 and the Denon DVD 3930CI. I had the Denon 3930 for

2 years before the Oppo. The Denon has the Rexon VX chipset in it. One of

the best.

I grabbed LOTR Return of the King Extended on DVD. 2 copies, 1 mine and 1 from a friend.

They were both NTSC versions. I watched the whole movie in the Denon and took mental

notes on any scenes that were problematic. I then got those scenes up in the Oppo.

The problems were not there in the Oppo. I then looked at scenes that had high amounts

of video noise. The Oppo was cleaner and more film like. Quite a achievement.

I then just used the Oppo from then on for DVD. I only got bad quality from poorly

mastered transfers (I'm pointing my finger at you Warners).

The Oppo was always clean and clear on well mastered DVD's. That went for NTSC

and PAL discs.

It is a pity because I think you hit the nail on the head. All this could be too late

with blu on the market. I have gone from 480 DVD's (my peek) to 29 DVD's and

falling. I now own 470 blu's where upscaling is not needed.

I think you have to weigh up how many blu's you can buy if you purchased

the Oppo and if you would get a decent return.

Ta Dono

#814 ·
How can I reset my BCP-1611UD completely? It's gotten into a weird state where the remote control works, but the buttons on the front seem 'locked' and have no function. Is there a protocol of buttons I can push to re-set the microprocessor or the device. (Plugging and unplugging does not work, re-setting to factory settings does not work).

#815 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtr /forum/post/20625550

How can I reset my BCP-1611UD completely? It's gotten into a weird state where the remote control works, but the buttons on the front seem 'locked' and have no function. Is there a protocol of buttons I can push to re-set the microprocessor or the device. (Plugging and unplugging does not work, re-setting to factory settings does not work).

There is a system intilize in the settings menu. Give that a go.

Ta Dono

#816 ·
Hey,

I found a flaw with the video system on this player.

When setting HDMI Deep Colour to Auto. It is not sending above white info at all.

I thought the contrast didn't look right with this player. It is higher than other players. So I ran the S&M testing disc. It shows that it produces the below black info correctly (part of Deep Colour), however put the above white pattern on and it shows white is clipped and blooming out the whites.

Probably designed that way to look brighter.

I tried the picture adjust to lower the contrast. I set to -1 and then the above white info showed up. Unfortunately I checked below black again and it stuffed the below black info up.

Not very good for a recent player. Even the old PS3's do it correctly.

I left mine setup with the bug, because there is not so much above white info on blu-ray however others should know. The video is not pure or correct.

Ta Dono

#817 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas /forum/post/20701390

Hey,

I found a flaw with the video system on this player.

When setting HDMI Deep Colour to Auto. It is not sending above white info at all.

I thought the contrast didn't look right with this player. It is higher than other players. So I ran the S&M testing disc. It shows that it produces the below black info correctly (part of Deep Colour), however put the above white pattern on and it shows white is clipped and blooming out the whites.

Probably designed that way to look brighter.

I tried the picture adjust to lower the contrast. I set to -1 and then the above white info showed up. Unfortunately I checked below black again and it stuffed the below black info up.

Not very good for a recent player. Even the old PS3's do it correctly.

I left mine setup with the bug, because there is not so much above white info on blu-ray however others should know. The video is not pure or correct.

Ta Dono

Ta Dono,

This is an interesting discovery. I've read too many posts about pictures having more pop, being sharper, more contrast, etc. It's nice to read a post from someone who is concerned with the picture being correct or accurate.

Willie

#818 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi /forum/post/20701795

Ta Dono,

This is an interesting discovery. I've read too many posts about pictures having more pop, being sharper, more contrast, etc. It's nice to read a post from someone who is concerned with the picture being correct or accurate.

Willie

Yeah Willie,

This gave me a fright when I discovered it. Denon usually prides itself on being accurate. Not this time.

Don't get me wrong. The picture looks amazing. I noticed straight away that it looked better than my Oppo BD-83 (brighter). It just puzzled me why.

All HDMI blu-ray should look the same. This is why I ran the tests and found the above white video clipping.

I have 3 blu-ray players in my rack (PS3 slim, Oppo BD-83, Denon DBP-1611). I try and get them setup so they produce the same picture, so I can just calibrate at the projector end and not worry about changing picture profiles for different players. The PS3 and the Oppo produce exactly the same picture. The Denon clips the whites at about Rec 240 (should go to 255).

I think they have done this on purpose to give the picture extra pop. I just wish they had decided to go for accuracy instead. We can always decide to clip the whites ourselves in our display settings if we wanted extra contrast or brightness.

Ta Dono

#819 ·
Hi! first post. As a proud Denon DBP 1611 owner I was surprised to see there is no info here on the latest firmware update. I received mine about 3 days ago and I was expecting youtube support update but no such luck.

Actually after the update I saw no difference, then I went digging around Denon support site to find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon.co.uk

Changelog of DBP1611UD

MCU Ver 101

Specific BD "Foreigner:Rockin at the Ryman"stops at 00:00:12.

The icon is not displayed of SOUND OF MUSIC (A privilege disc).

When BD-R was recorded by Panasonic BD recorder, it can't reproduce and no operation.

DBP-1611UD doesn't play DVD-AUDIO disc "SARAH VAUGHAN AND THE COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA/SEND IN THE CLOWNS (VIAJ-60014)"

MCU Ver 100

If in setup menu -> Audio -> Sound output -> HDMI Audio is set to off, 3D is not available anymore.

Playback failure with "TDBA-0051/EURO ARTS 2055498/EURO ARTS 2053078".

Does not play BD "Piranha" in 3D (DIMENSION FILM).

The reader is stuck after the menu entry of the copyright and does not go to chapter 1 movie. In this condition unit cannot be controlled neither by any key nor by RC. The only exception is the Power operation button (ON/STANDBY) to switch off.

?. LIGABUE Title. "ARRIVEDERCI MOSTRO" W.B. Records DVD 9 DOUBLE LAYER.

?. LIGABUE Title "SETTE NOTTI IN ARENA" W.B. Records DVD 9 DOUBLE LAYER.

MCU Ver 085

Update the Firmware for correspond to "3D".

Correction of the Firmware for a symptom that "Power on does not work".

I'm having a slight problem with a specific disc. (Sammy's adventures, Finnish version) Playback stops at about 40-50 minutes or so, can´t remember the exact figure but I´ll dig it out. I suppose its the spot where layer should be changed. Where do you think I should contact about it, Denon's Finnish, UK or US customer service? I´m not so sure the local people can do anything about firmware...

Oh btw is it too late to make DBP-1611 owner´s thread?

edit: playback stops at exactly 49min 35 seconds. I´m contacting local support first.

#820 ·
Denon USA clearly states there should have been firmware update for Youtube playback with dbp- 1611

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...4-ce29a6f55328

(click detailed specification - media support)

Quote:
YOUTUBE STREAMING Firmware Update July 17th 2011

Has anyone here received this July 17th Firmware Update?

How do I get the feeling I´ve been dropped to a beehive that all the bees have just recently abandoned so as to search for new OPPOrtunity.

#821 ·
Ive updated firmware and now see that my netflix button is activated, last time it said that was not available to canada or something like that, it tells me to go to netflix.ca/denon and enter a code. when i enter that it takes me to the netflix sign on page, and I see a list of compatable bd players and denon is not on it. dont see a place to enter my code etc. is there still a glitch with denon/netflix and canada?

I as well have no youtube, button is still deactivated!

#824 ·
I'd be interested in knowing what you feel the quality is like. I'm finding it a bit stuttery. I've tested it with both "better" and "best" quality as set on the Netflix site, but both yield similar results. I have a 7.5 Mbps connection and playing movies off Netflix is fine on my computer.

#825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroeska /forum/post/20728365

I'd be interested in knowing what you feel the quality is like. I'm finding it a bit stuttery. I've tested it with both "better" and "best" quality as set on the Netflix site, but both yield similar results. I have a 7.5 Mbps connection and playing movies off Netflix is fine on my computer.

working great, no stuttering, i did not know there was quality setting on there site, iam going to check it out.

#826 ·
Is anyone else getting choppy playback in Netflix? PQ is great (for HD streaming), but when the camera pans or there's lots of motion, it doesn't play smoothly. As mentioned above, I have measured a 7.5 Mb connection using speedtest.net. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not getting full bandwidth for Netflix from my ISP but it seems to play fine on my laptop. Anyone any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.