AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread

389K views 4K replies 257 participants last post by  descalabro 
#1 ·
Finally have an Rs 40 & 50

#3,864 ·
my father has this (not calibrated) and the picture looks WAY too dark. He leaves it on the natural setting, but theres detail lost EVERYWHERE. Last time i was watching something on the tv the picture looked a better but kinda washed out, when i looked it seemed he had it on the 3D mode and had left it like that for weeks =P

anyway, i was wondering if theres a settings thread anywhere? I dont have the knowledge or equipment to calibrate this thing properly, but i could do some minor tweaks with HD essentials or something, but it looks like it may not be passing btb or wth or something. Im just curious what some general goto points are for the settings, all i see the last few pages are people talking about a really bad lamp life =(

Im curious what gamma setting mean what. What is A, B, C, Normal, ect? Which is closest to 2.2? (i think thats the standard right?) And whats up with the color space? Natural is the only one that seems to use 'video' not really sure what that means, most seem to use 'standard' Which ones supposed to be rec 709? is one a 'wide' color space? Right now im watching some anime on it and notice the Animation preset uses a unique color space called 'animation 1' =P would be nice to know wtf all this stuff means, and i wonder if its contributing to the very crushed looking picture

#3,865 ·
Updated with latest hours on the bulb. Saw a 12% drop on my User2 lumens from 1176 @51hr to 1032 @178hr. Hopefully it doesnt drop much more...

Picture Mode: THX

Color Profile: THX

Lamp: High

Aperture: 0

Average: 262.78 lux x 2.704m = 710.55 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 266.78 lux x 2.704m = 721.37 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 254.00 lux x 2.704m = 687.11 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: User 2

Color Profile: Off

Average: 434.88 lux x 2.704m = 1175.94 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 421.44 lux x 2.704m = 1139.59 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 381.77 lux x 2.704m = 1032.33 lumens (178 hr)

Color Profile: Cinema 1

Contrast: -4

Brightness: 2

Average: 218.78 lux x 2.704m = 591.58 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 217.22 lux x 2.704m = 587.37 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 193.78 lux x 2.704m = 523.98 lumens (178 hr)

Color Profile: 3D

Average: 279.11 lux x 2.704m = 754.72 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 277.33 lux x 2.704m = 749.90 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 240.44 lux x 2.704m = 650.16 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: 3D

Color Profile: 3D

Average: 278.56 lux x 2.704m = 753.21 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 276.89 lux x 2.704m = 748.71 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 262.89 lux x 2.704m = 710.85 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: Cinema

Color Profile: Cinema 1

Lamp: Normal

Average: 140.00 lux x 2.704m = 379 lumens (51 hr)

Average: 140.00 lux x 2.704m = 379 lumens (82 hr)

Average: 131.78 lux x 2.704m = 356 lumens (178 hr)

#3,866 ·
I've just learned that the RS40 suffers from a input lag (latency) of 80 - 110ms. This basically makes it an unacceptable PJ choice for me for video game use.

Since the RS50 has different video-processing, I shouldn't assume that it suffers from the same problem. Can anyone measure the lag and let me know what it looks like? Also, it would help to see if it's consistent across all the video modes. It looks like some people are using the lip-sync auto-compensation setting on their receivers to measure the lag.

Thanks,

John

#3,868 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMabille_UK /forum/post/20676033

Hi,

Calibrated my preamp and got a synchro timer of 110ms in THX mode (X7 / RS50), didn't try game mode if there is a difference. And yes it makes it tricky for some games, but nothing I personaly can't live with.

Thank you!

Just checking: do you have any components between the video source and the x7 (e.g. lumagen)?

It would be useful to know how game mode performs, but from what I've heard it's unlikely to be better.

Thanks,

John

#3,869 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof /forum/post/20689019

FWIW, I've decided to move on to the RS40/MiniMe combo and I'm in the process of making that happen (it'll be a week or so until I get the Radiance and an RS40). When I get it all setup I'll post my impressions of the new setup versus the RS50.

PS: Now that I've bailed on the 50 it wouldn't surprise me if JVC releases fixes for the CMS & Gamma issues.........

Hi Geof,

I hope you didn't take too much of a beating on your RS50, but don't worry about JVC fixing the CMS and Gamma. Even if they do your RS40 and Radiance will probably beat the controls on the RS50, and won't it also permit calibrating 3D, something the RS50 doesn't do? The RS40 will still be brighter. Probably the only thing that the RS50 will be better is an imperceptible improvement in contrast.

So stop looking in your rear view mirror, and enjoy!

Larry

#3,871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoldman /forum/post/20690747

Actually the 50 60 and 40 all calibrate 3d. My Isf calibrator used the user1 as a start point and put the glasses in front of the colorometer and then ran the calman.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Larry

#3,873 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dough34929 /forum/post/20692667

Building my first home theater. Just got a JVC RS50. Will set it up next week. Should I immediately get it calibrated or wait a while. If you recommend I wait, how long?

Thanks

As a rule of thumb... maybe 100 hours on the lamps to take off the edge and then calibrate.

Then again, you might try setting up the projector, doing a basic calibration contrast/brightness/color/tint, and it you're happy with the image, save the calibration $$$ to put toward purchasing a new lamp down the road.

#3,874 ·
Pundits of the forum, I was just about to buy a RS50 when I read the threads saying it is less bright than the RS40. Considering how picky I am when it comes to light output, my concern is this: I currently own a Panny 4000 and a negative gain 120" screen. Throw distance at 18,37 feet. I'm more than happy as good ol' Panny does deliver a crisp and bright image. Now, will I be pissed off at the RS 40 when it comes to light?

Thanks for your wise words.

#3,875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho /forum/post/20705622

Pundits of the forum, I was just about to buy a RS50 when I read the threads saying it is less bright than the RS40. Considering how picky I am when it comes to light output, my concern is this: I currently own a Panny 4000 and a negative gain 120" screen. Throw distance at 18,37 feet. I'm more than happy as good ol' Panny does deliver a crisp and bright image. Now, will I be pissed off at the RS 40 when it comes to light?

Thanks for your wise words.

I have both an RS40 and a Panasonic 4000. If you're happy with the 4000 on that size screen at that throw, you won't be disappointed with the RS40. And the RS40 is in a whole other league in terms of image quality. And you get 3D!

#3,881 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho /forum/post/20706077

Just read the threads on pg. 115. Very "enlightening" (pardon the pun). I'll be crossing my finges I don't get a bummed bulb and hope to God it goes for at least 1500 hours with no significant drop in light... Sheesh...am I hoping to much? Thanks yet again, guys...

Hi,

Yes, you are hoping too much. It is unrealistic to expect no significant drop in output after 1,500 hours.

Here is a posting from an owner of an RS40, which has more lumens than an RS50. Notice that after more tha 1100 hours the output is down to 239 lumens. For his screen that means that 3D is probably unwatchable regardless of how tolerant his is of low brightness.

JVC RS40/X3 Calibration Thread

RS40's have an initial output in the 800 to 900 lumen range. This lamp was down to the half-brightness level in just 1000 hours. Since he was running on normal (low) lamp mode, that means that the lamp dimmed in one third of the time of the specified life expectancy of 3000 hours.

This of course is only one data point, but not too many owners have that much usage yet. Since we know these lamps are not of the best quality I think it would be wise if we reigned in over-optimism. Even if the lamp met the specified life expectancy, it is normal for even high quality lamps to lose significant brightness by 1500 hours.

Larry

#3,883 ·
Just to clarify Larry's post. The original lamps have shown to have a large variability in: initial brightness; Lumen output vs time; and premature failure. JVC has been responsive to owners with defective lamps even if they are beyond the 90 day warranty period.

There is a newer lamp, which we all hope performs well, but to date there isn't enough data to see how these lamps hold up over time.

#3,884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho /forum/post/20706195

Bummer. My Panny bulb is 1400 hours and still a beaut! Makes me wonder if the change is really worth it... using the projector as I do I'll be in for trouble...

Thanks, Larry.

Hi,

Our eyes become acclimated to a gradual reduction in brightness. I'm sure if you actually measured the out of the box lumens and compared it to the value at 1400 hours it would be down very significantly say 25-30%.

My previous projector was a fairly bright DLP with initial lumens around 1100. Before I replaced the projector with an RS40 the lamp had 3300 hours on it even though the life expectancy was 3000 hours. Ron Jones who is a very experienced enthusiast who frequents these threads visited me and after a brief viewing he politely let me know that he estimated that my output was in the 300s. So I was still viewing in low lamp mode because I had become accustomed to the reduced brightness.

Now that I have an RS40 I took Ron's advice and I purchased an inexpensive lux meter so that I can monitor the dimming of the lamp.

Larry

#3,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof /forum/post/20706255

Just to clarify Larry's post. The original lamps have shown to have a large variability in: initial brightness; Lumen output vs time; and premature failure. JVC has been responsive to owners with defective lamps even if they are beyond the 90 day warranty period.

There is a newer lamp, which we all hope performs well, but to date there isn't enough data to see how these lamps hold up over time.

Hi Geof,

With regard to this newer lamp I have read postings where folks have speculated that the different number series on the lamp represented a new lamp. Is that what you are referring to, or do you have a more authoritative source, i.e. JVC stating that a new lamp design has been released?

Thanks.

Larry

#3,886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/20706303

Hi Geof,

With regard to this newer lamp I have read postings where folks have speculated that the different number series on the lamp represented a new lamp. Is that what you are referring to, or do you have a more authoritative source, i.e. JVC stating that a new lamp design has been released?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

I have no knowledge about a new lamp design and that is why I said it's a newer lamp, which I believe to be true. They may have made subtle design changes and/or production/manufacturing improvements, or even sprinkled it with pixie dust
, but hopefully the "7's" solve "5's" problems!

#3,888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho /forum/post/20706689

Guys -- all of ye pundits -- I take a bow. Thanks a whole lot for shedding more LIGHT into this delicate matter, which really threw me at first. I'm getting my RS40 in two VERY LONG weeks (I live in Brazil). Will set it up and let you know my feelings (which I'm sure will be oozing WOWs!).

Helcio

I'm not a pundit, of course - just a satisfied RS40 owner. My original RS40 (sent back due to a convergence issue) literally blew its lamp after 270 hours. I'm a heavy user. I believe my second RS40 probably has the same early lamp, because it's really starting to fade, too. I've put significant time on it and it shows. There's no way I'll make it to 2000 hours on this thing. Still, even if the early lamps suck (and they do), this is one fine projector. I love it and I can't imagine going back to DLP or LCD. I think you'll like yours, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.