AVS Forum banner

briteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H thread

61K views 292 replies 42 participants last post by  videobruce 
#1 ·
 http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-.../dp/B004XIB9UA

Looks like another OTA DVR that has a free EPG. Not much spec wise, but the EnergyStar people say it can do DVR and HD. Not much else spec wise. More information should be out later. It's not on the Brite View site, but should be up later.

Edit: It can also do ClearQAM as well.

#202 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy
I did get an email back from brite-View support with an RMA number. They say they'll mail out to me a new unit with 2 days of receiving my bad unit (which I have to mail to them on my dime).

I also just received my new PCT Power Splitter, which just a few minutes ago I installed, replacing that old Radio Shack version. I'm going to give it a day, to see how the BV-980H does on recordings with this new better/cleaner power splitter in place. If that doesn't resolve the failed recordings problem, then the unit will need to go back.

However, if I'm returning the unit, I'm thinking it would probably behoove me to just simply return it to Amazon (from whom I bought it), through their 30-day return policy (as opposed to returning it to BV through their warranty repair system). My worry about dealing with BV directly is that by the time I get the replacement unit back from them and tested, I will have run out of my 30-day return period with Amazon. If the new replacement unit they send me doesn't work any better, I will no longer be able to return it for a refund. So, I'm thinking return the unit to Amazon I have now for a refund. And then maybe just order another unit through Amazon later to restart another 30-day window for returns. Or, maybe I'd go for a Magnavox 515 instead (although giving up HD recordings...).
I think your logic for returning it to Amazon makes sense. If you believe it to be a bad unit, then please use the Amazon method.

If you are patient, then put a new recorder on hold for a few months. I would wait two months and see what happens. The new broadcast season starts in October. Should you wish to try the 515H, it's still going down in price. However if it drops to $198, I feel the next generation is pending. That will probably be $299 to start, then drop to $259. I don't know if it will have true HD/5.1 ability. The 515H with SD and DD2.0 is a good buy right now and I use it for my clear QAM SD digital. And it will play or record a regular DVD. I have no OTA. As for the PHD mentioned back on page 4 (thread search):

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...Fphdez1pre.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Just read page one about the 515H. Or you can read the customer reviews at walmart.com for fun. The ones that say it is a great unit then give it one star are the best. It does have an unknown issue with some clock signals, but Walmart's return policy is great. I have the 2160A and 515H. No problems with either.

#203 ·
I made an interesting discovery today. If you run the Auto-Scan again, your previously set up recording schedule gets erased. And as I would have guessed, your Channel List and Favorites get reset back to the default of all channels showing up on both lists. There's 4 hours of my time I'll never get back (editing those two lists). :-(

The only reason I even launched the Auto-Scan again is because one of my primary channels (the local FOX broadcast station) just simply disappeared from my channel list.

#204 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPIZ
"PrimeDTV will be endlessly creating its forthcoming HD Digital Television Program, PVR Recorder box, PHD-eZ1 and supporting our present PHD-205LE, PHD-HM5, PHD-8VX through our online online shop @ ePVision.com."

from: http://hometheatersstuff.info/primed...press-release/
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8474677.htm
Just another Tiwanese owned and operated company. Expect the same dismal level of systems, human factors, and software engineering. Chinese junk electronics.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20715327

I made an interesting discovery today. If you run the Auto-Scan again, your previously set up recording schedule gets erased. And as I would have guessed, your Channel List and Favorites get reset back to the default of all channels showing up on both lists. There's 4 hours of my time I'll never get back (editing those two lists). :-(

The only reason I even launched the Auto-Scan again is because one of my primary channels (the local FOX broadcast station) just simply disappeared from my channel list.

Try doing just the channels first. Skip the Favorites. So far I haven't hit a limit turning off channels.

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20715123

I also just received my new PCT Power Splitter, which just a few minutes ago I installed, replacing that old Radio Shack version. I'm going to give it a day, to see how the BV-980H does on recordings with this new better/cleaner power splitter in place. If that doesn't resolve the failed recordings problem, then the unit will need to go back.

Installed the new splitter, and then scheduled a full day of recordings. As before, about half of them failed. And even just simply watching live TV through the BV's tuner, I see that some channels are suffering pixelation. All my other digital tuner devices (1 HDTV and two other digital recorders) are all displaying rock solid images, so it would seem there is something wrong with the BV unit's tuner. So, it's definitely going back. Just printed my Amazon return label.

Well, it was all an interesting experiment. I have a feeling that BV will simply take my returned unit and simply repackage it and sell it to some other poor sucker...

I'm going to hold off on ordering another one. If and when I do order again, I might try the Magnavox instead next. I'm sure it has a much better user interface.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20717221

Well, it was all an interesting experiment. I have a feeling that BV will simply take my returned unit and simply repackage it and sell it to some other poor sucker...

I just left a very long detailed "review" of this unit on Amazon.com. I am only the 3rd person to leave a review of the unit so far. (My review has to be approved first, and may take up to 48 hours to post there.)

BV-980H on Amazon

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20717221

I'm going to hold off on ordering another one. If and when I do order again, I might try the Magnavox instead next. I'm sure it has a much better user interface.

I'm sorry about your experience. I have the feeling there isn't enough horsepower for HD. I never have seen problems with my SD cable channels. Maybe the person who gets the refurb will only use the aux inputs.

I'll see if SS has place for a review. Best of luck. See you around.

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20717577

I'm sorry about your experience. I have the feeling there isn't enough horsepower for HD. I never have seen problems with my SD cable channels. Maybe the person who gets the refurb will only use the aux inputs.

I'll see if SS has place for a review. Best of luck. See you around.

Joe, if you hurry, you could be the first BV-980H "Reviewer" at SS.

#216 ·
BV-980H company forum:

The pull down of "Jump To" for the BV-980H has all its options there twice. I posted the bug, but didn't post it on the thread for bug reports. I wasn't sure which one to use.

Still can't get 1080i to stick after making a recording on a 480i channel. I guess it flunks "tuner 101". Not that I would use anything as a tuner, even my Sony TV. Channel surfing isn't too popular when you have 100 or 200 channels. A cable STB helps though.

#217 ·
Joe, I noticed you posted in the brite-View forum your wish list for the BV-980H. One item you posted reads "Remove the analog diagnostics."

What are "analog diagnostics"? I noticed you have used the word "diagnostics" in this forum before -- but I don't understand what that is, or is a reference to.

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20726076

Joe, I noticed you posted in the brite-View forum your wish list for the BV-980H. One item you posted reads "Remove the analog diagnostics."

What are "analog diagnostics"? I noticed you have used the word "diagnostics" in this forum before -- but I don't understand what that is, or is a reference to.

In general, a diagnostic is a piece of software that, when executed, tests the hardware for various kinds of failures and reports on these. Such a program is designed to stress one component (e.g.: memory, drive, video and/or audio circuit, port, power supply, etc.) at a time in an attempt to isolate a failure (or predict future failure) and recommend a repair. Diagnostics often make use of "Built In Test" (BIT) capabilities of the component itself.

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20726076

Menu->Channel Scan->Manual Scan. [post 155]

Only vsb/analog/NTSC channels can be selected. Not so Brite. Funny, but I don't get analog diagnostics on my TV or other DVR units - only digital channels are shown. Some show bars like a phone, some show a decimal number, some show a percentage. Best is SNR since that a pretty good quality indicator. Higher the better. Just my opinion.

I'll see if I can update the other post. Stay cool. It will be warm today.

My review: still not approved.

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20726497

Menu->Channel Scan->Manual Scan. [post 155]

Only vsb/analog/NTSC channels can be selected. Not so Brite. Funny, but I don't get analog diagnostics on my TV or other DVR units - only digital channels are shown. Some show bars like a phone, some show a decimal number, some show a percentage. Best is SNR since that a pretty good quality indicator. Higher the better. Just my opinion.

OK. I just would never thought of that function as "a diagnostic." To me, a diagnostic is something you use to diagnose a problem. But I don't see a manual scan function as a way to diagnose a problem. Although I have to admit the purpose of the manual scan function is quite mysterious in this product. What is one manually scanning for exactly??

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20726843

OK. I just would never thought of that function as "a diagnostic." To me, a diagnostic is something you use to diagnose a problem. But I don't see a manual scan function as a way to diagnose a problem. Although I have to admit the purpose of the manual scan function is quite mysterious in this product. What is one manually scanning for exactly??

Well, let's say you want to autoscan for channels. You start it and walk away. The manual scan has come to be used when you wish to force a channel to be included. I guess it is a bad name. Manual scan is also the way I can turn off (edit) my channels on some equipment. I called it a diagnostic since it displays an indicator of signal strength. Since there are no valid vsb/analog/NTSC channels on this unit, the data is a waste of time.

I didn't decide to put the signal test there, but I can understand that logic. Especially after owning the Mag 515H which has some tuner issues of its own. Too bad it doesn't allow QAM or 8vsb/ATSC channels to be examined.

I'm cable only. Anything I say about OTA is speculation.

If there was a way to show the signal strength of your HD channels with pixelation, that would help decide if it was a bad tuner or a bad cable.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20726910

Well, let's say you want to autoscan for channels. You start it and walk away. The manual scan has come to be used when you wish to force a channel to be included. I guess it is a bad name. Manual scan is also the way I can turn off (edit) my channels on some equipment. I called it a diagnostic since it displays an indicator of signal strength. Since there are no valid vsb/analog/NTSC channels on this unit, the data is a waste of time.

That all makes sense to me -- I just never would have thought of labeling that function as a diagnostic.

And I totally agree, that the signal strength function would be better served if made available to the QAM HD channels.

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20726910

If there was a way to show the signal strength of your HD channels with pixelation, that would help decide if it was a bad tuner or a bad cable.

Yes, that would have been very helpful. Although I wonder since the unit had a bad tuner (or something else interrupting the signal path), if it would have even sensed/reported the accurate signal strength anyway...

I tried different cabling (including a brand new "quad shielded" RG6 cable), and I tried connecting into my cable connection at several different points at the split, trying 3 different splitters, and including a brand new allegedly high-quality amplified splitter. No matter what cabling and configuration I tried, I got varying degrees of pixelation -- and failed recordings. Meanwhile, all the rest of my digital-tuner devices never had any pixelation nor recording problems.

#224 ·
From another web site about the eZ1:

Our Price: $139.95 Our Price: $106.25 Apply $10 off now! Coupon#: mx5z022668 eZ -Digital TV Program Recorder Unique design and extremely easy recording of digital broadcasting and digital clear cable programs, make PHD-eZ1 the leader of consumer DTV recorder box in its class ! Product Release Date: Later Q1 2010 Key Technical Features : Inputs : 432 MHz MIPS CPU n ATSC/QAM RF Input HD 720p /1080i Best -in -class video quality : Outputs : Video scaling and enhancements n 1x HDMI (up to.

No, I didn't cut off the end. That's all there was. I think we have passed "later Q1 2010" in this part of the universe.

#225 ·
Seems recording "History" only has one page with the last eight titles.

Mine always goes to 480i after recording anything. Still working on that one. You would think that an HD unit would default to 1080i. Still guessing on Auto HDMI. Feel free to educate me.

Filled up hard drive again. No loss of scheduled titles, status or history. Only lost sound. Power cycle fixed that. Loss of audio may or may not be related to full hard drive. I'll test it again.

#226 ·
Seems to repeat. After a scheduled 1080i recording and sitting on a 1080i channel I bring up the Menu. As I move right to check history, I see it has gone back to 480i. I move it to 1080i and the video talks to my TV and they sync. The audio then dies. It stays that way until I power cycle the unit. Any backup? Could it be my TV which has CEC disabled? I hear crickets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.