AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

762K views 7K replies 673 participants last post by  moggi1964 
#1 ·
#6,239 ·
It seems as if this "red tint" is common across all the Kuro models, Elite, non-elite and now KRP. I own a PRO-111FD that is just short of 3 years old and has approximately 7000 hours of use.

The red tint was just noticeable about a month or so ago and now is noticeable as a crimson tint on letterbox bars in dark scenes. Strangely enough the tint is not really seen in the active picture area, only in the letterbox area! It does not seem to be strictly a calibration problem as adjusting the white balance red and blue will mess up the active picture area before any real change is seen in the red tint. The overall grey scale seems mostly OK with maybe a slight red tint but if this is adjusted out to slightly minus red or plus blue the red tint is still noticeable in the letterbox area.

Hopefully we can get some idea of the problem and help out all Kuro owners! There are postings about this "red tint" in the non-elite thread, in the 9G Kuro settings/issues thread and now here. The picture on my set is still perfect...except for this issue.

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,240 ·
I think the reddish tint on the sidebars is just more noticeable. Obviously this will be harder to see in the main viewing area because it isn't completely black and has bright images. When your screen goes black for a second during a movie can you see the reddish tint over the whole TV or just the sidebars? I watched another movie last night and when the whole screen goes black then you can see a reddish tint over the whole panel. You may not be able to tell that this is messing with the main viewing area but it has to. Why wouldn't it? Like I said, it is just "covered" up by the film. Last night I noticed that on the sides of the picture it looks a little washed out due to the red tint on the sides. I think it was even washed out a bit across the whole picture but usually the screen was bright enough in those areas to "mask" this.

I know I should just try and not notice this but it is starting to ruin my viewing experience because I can't help but notice it while watching movies, etc that have side bars. If the whole screen is covered then it kind of hides the issue and makes you forget about it. Let's hope we can find something out. I need to call Pioneer and ask them about this but I don't know if I will get any help from them and I'm sure I don't have any kind of warranty anymore because I didn't purchase any extended warranty such as squaretrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon /forum/post/20721803

It seems as if this "red tint" is common across all the Kuro models, Elite, non-elite and now KRP. I own a PRO-111FD that is just short of 3 years old and has approximately 7000 hours of use.

The red tint was just noticeable about a month or so ago and now is noticeable as a crimson tint on letterbox bars in dark scenes. Strangely enough the tint is not really seen in the active picture area, only in the letterbox area! It does not seem to be strictly a calibration problem as adjusting the white balance red and blue will mess up the active picture area before any real change is seen in the red tint. The overall grey scale seems mostly OK with maybe a slight red tint but if this is adjusted out to slightly minus red or plus blue the red tint is still noticeable in the letterbox area.

Hopefully we can get some idea of the problem and help out all Kuro owners! There are postings about this "red tint" in the non-elite thread, in the 9G Kuro settings/issues thread and now here. The picture on my set is still perfect...except for this issue.

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,241 ·
Just out of curiosity, try swapping it into power save 2 and see if that helps at all.

I run mine in ISF w/PS2 and Orbiter2 and have never noticed anything like that. I wonder if it's some kind of mismatch between the initialization voltage and the aging of the phosphors.

One thing I also do is that because I primarily use my set to watch BR's and because I watch primarily from my HTPC, I usually just play the ts file directly from the disc with MPC-HC (instead of bothering with all the previews, "extras", and junk). When MPC-HC finishes, it just goes to a black screen and I'll often leave it like that and go do something else.

Possibly, the red tint has something to do with not displaying black versus other content?

#6,242 ·
Hm I will try power save 2 but kind of doubting that will do anything. What is weird is that when my PS3 goes to load a disc then the screen fluctuates between a couple different black levels until the picture actually comes on. At first it is a grayer picture and the blacks aren't as good but there is no reddish tint. Then, it switches again and becomes darker but that is when you can see the reddish tint. Then the film starts. What is the deal with the switching black levels and why is the reddish tint only on the final darker picture? Is this just the PS3 switching resolutions or something?

Hopefully that made sense and I didn't confuse everyone.

#6,243 ·
Is this from off? Usually when you first switch on an input you get the blank input black (basically off), then once it initializes the voltage for content you get the deeper black. That earlier, lighter black has no bearing on content.

Mind posting your picture settings? Specifically I'm curious what contrast you're running. Might also want to see if dialing that down helps things at all. If you have the sharpness setting set very high might want to reduce that as well (if you want a sharp image, it's probably preferable to use DRE and enhancer than the sharpness setting).

#6,244 ·
Mac13:

I agree, the "tint" is starting to annoy me. It is not noticeable most of the time, but get a really dark scene, e.g. the recent Harry potter movies and it stands out and as you say once you see it, it is hard to ignore....sometimes you can...but... If the monitor is switched to an unused input you can usually see the red tint (though, sometimes it does not seem as noticeable!!??) and you cannot remove it from here using the white balance controls no matter how much you change the adjustments. When you adjust the blue cut up to +8 or so on a letterbox movie, you turn the active area blue and the tint disappears to a blue/grey glow (more or less like I remember the bars in dark scenes before the tint.) I still have a month to go on my Canadian 3 year warranty, so I want to see if there is a fix before the time runs out. My dealer /repair guy knows about the problem and hopefully it will be on record if a fix (or problem) is found.

dlplover:

I use powersave 2, pure mode and have all enhancements turned off. I have gone through the adjustments, turning things on and through settings but with no encouraging results. It makes no difference if one uses component or HDMI. It seems to be mostly seen on "0" black. The other evening I watched a 1.85:1 movie and did not notice any letterbox bands during the movie...but during a rather dark scene, a crimson bar could be seen in the bottom letterbox (a cm or two high?) but no noticeable tint in the picture! I rarely even notice the bars at any time on 1.85:1 presentations, this was one of the times when it was standing out a bit more than normal. Maybe now that this has been mentioned everyone will start seeing "red tint"...mass hallucinations!

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,245 ·
Haha. Ya I was wondering if this still occurred while using a component connection as I tried both of my HDMI inputs. I guess it does, thanks for the info. Kind of funny you mentioned Harry Potter because that is what I have been watching. I thought it could just be the source but I have noticed it while watching Band of Brothers and while watching cable as well.

dlplover I am using D-Nice's exact Pure settings ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14384909 ) so I would think that would be fine. I notice the blackness change when I select the DVD to play in the PS3. It is after I have turned everything on. It is when it goes to boot up the DVD and start displaying content.

#6,246 ·
I haven't visited this portion of the forums in a while so please bare with me as this might be a pretty old topic.

A long while ago D-Nice mentioned the ability on some 600M panels that he could unlock/change something that would bring down the MLL to the same level as the 500M panels. Was there any additional information on this and maybe which panels it might apply to?

I'm looking to get my set calibrated, unlock ISF modes, and do this as well it would be a pretty nice upgrade and I think I could convince the wife to let me do this.

#6,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU /forum/post/20723138

I haven't visited this portion of the forums in a while so please bare with me as this might be a pretty old topic.

A long while ago D-Nice mentioned the ability on some 600M panels that he could unlock/change something that would bring down the MLL to the same level as the 500M panels. Was there any additional information on this and maybe which panels it might apply to?

I'm looking to get my set calibrated, unlock ISF modes, and do this as well it would be a pretty nice upgrade and I think I could convince the wife to let me do this.

Well if you're looking to get your set calibrated, why don't you contact D-Nice and kill two birds with one stone?

#6,248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/20723794

Well if you're looking to get your set calibrated, why don't you contact D-Nice and kill two birds with one stone?

I sent him a pm a while ago and didn't hear anything back. Figured he gets a lot of those so I was hoping to get an answer here instead. That way the next time I send him something it will be to schedule the calibration appointment instead of bothering him with questions. depending on the answer to my question might also change my mind, at least for now, about the calibration.

#6,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU /forum/post/20724964

I sent him a pm a while ago and didn't hear anything back. Figured he gets a lot of those so I was hoping to get an answer here instead. That way the next time I send him something it will be to schedule the calibration appointment instead of bothering him with questions. depending on the answer to my question might also change my mind, at least for now, about the calibration.

I tried contacting D-Nice about a calibration a number of times but got no response

#6,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU /forum/post/20724964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek /forum/post/20725190

I tried contacting D-Nice about a calibration a number of times but got no response

Email D-Nice here:

audiovideofidelity@gmail.com

#6,253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU /forum/post/0

Nate,

Unfortunately I never received an email from you. Please send another via my signature.

#6,254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/0

Did either of you guys try emailing him? As PM's sent through AVS are not at all a sure fire way to contact him.

+1. AVS PMs are the absolute worst way to contact me. Use my signature to contact me.

#6,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 /forum/post/20722593

Haha. Ya I was wondering if this still occurred while using a component connection as I tried both of my HDMI inputs. I guess it does, thanks for the info. Kind of funny you mentioned Harry Potter because that is what I have been watching. I thought it could just be the source but I have noticed it while watching Band of Brothers and while watching cable as well.

How often do you notice it. Is it only on specific content or on a wide variety? It's pretty worthless to compare cable since it's different providers, but if there's specific movies you notice on, I could check on mine to see if it's just poor master or something. Actually, if you have an IPS LCD monitor for your computer, you could probably check that for yourself either by playback on pc or through an adapter from your ps3 (if your monitor won't take hdmi).

Quote:
dlplover I am using D-Nice's exact Pure settings ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14384909 ) so I would think that would be fine. I notice the blackness change when I select the DVD to play in the PS3. It is after I have turned everything on. It is when it goes to boot up the DVD and start displaying content.

The way the PS3 works, I think it has a separate "module" for the DVD/PS3 playback. Like it disconnects from the monitor and then reconnects which is why you're temporarily at the blank input screen.