AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

762K views 7K replies 673 participants last post by  moggi1964 
#1 ·
#6,265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 /forum/post/20727314

How do I check the panel hours on my 500m?

Change kuro to your name or ip address and go to this link:
http://kuro/cgi/service_right.cgi

Don't forget to read the FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KRP FAQ /forum/post/16807877

1. Q. How can I check my usage time (hours on), power count, serial number or retrieve the SD/PD Failure code?

a. You have to configure your KRP for network access, attach it to a network or directly to a PC and then open this link: http:///cgi/service_right.cgi where is replaced with the IP address of your KRP -- EZ Hours . You can also check the hours with jdbimmer's KuroReader program (see below) and via the serial port with Chelsea_Fan's piotime

#6,266 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13
Hm I will try power save 2 but kind of doubting that will do anything. What is weird is that when my PS3 goes to load a disc then the screen fluctuates between a couple different black levels until the picture actually comes on. At first it is a grayer picture and the blacks aren't as good but there is no reddish tint. Then, it switches again and becomes darker but that is when you can see the reddish tint. Then the film starts. What is the deal with the switching black levels and why is the reddish tint only on the final darker picture? Is this just the PS3 switching resolutions or something?

Hopefully that made sense and I didn't confuse everyone.
Mine does it also. I think it is switching resolution. Maybe you have different picture settings for different resolution?

#6,267 ·
No I think they are the same. It wouldn't make sense for one to have better black level but a reddish tint and then the other be more grayish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap
Mine does it also. I think it is switching resolution. Maybe you have different picture settings for different resolution?

#6,269 ·
Not so sure about that because I think I heard about a few people that had their sets professionally calibrated and it didn't get rid of the red tint. I wish you were right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmck /forum/post/20731757

Guys, I could be wrong about this but it seems to me that this could be related to greyscale calibration.

#6,271 ·
Hi guys,

Just got my second Kuro today. It's a second hand KRP-500M with under 1000 hours of play. But I got a bit of a problem with it. And it's the buzz. When I turn on the TV it's almost completely silent, but as hours pass, the buzzing becomes louder. Especialy with scenes when there is no sound, it becomes very very annoying. And I'm already playing in energy save mode 2. Anyone else with this problem?

#6,272 ·
I have a problem with my KRP-500m. I can't switch inputs, it's stuck on input 5 (direct TV). I read through the Q and A and I don't have my Kuro link enabled. Input 1 has a Wii, input 2 has a dvd. If I press input 1 or 2 the screen will go black and come on with what is hooked up on input 5. This is my first post so thanks for any info.

#6,273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw88 /forum/post/20735088

Hi guys,

Just got my second Kuro today. It's a second hand KRP-500M with under 1000 hours of play. But I got a bit of a problem with it. And it's the buzz. When I turn on the TV it's almost completely silent, but as hours pass, the buzzing becomes louder. Especialy with scenes when there is no sound, it becomes very very annoying. And I'm already playing in energy save mode 2. Anyone else with this problem?

just curious, how is the air flow in your room? i ask because the only thing that could really change over time during the set being powered on is the amount of heat it gives off. maybe that has something to do with the buzzing. it should probably reach peak temp after an hour of viewing. place your hand gently onto the screen on top of a microfiber cloth or just place it close to the screen to judge how much heat it's giving off and compare to your other kuro, which i'm assuming doesn't have the buzzing quirk. glass does expand as it gets hotter and as i understand plasma buzzing comes from the phosphors vibrating the glass panels.

#6,274 ·
Re: the "red tint"

My local tech guy has been in contact with the Pioneer Canada service guys about the tint issue. They thought it might be an "X" or "P" board (I might have got that incorrect) but the symptoms do not really fit those board parameters.

They wanted some more information that I passed on to my tech and he will send off the links to the three threads sections here on AVS about the "problem". At least PIONEER Canada seemed to be interested in this. My guy did not say if they were actually aware of this anomaly, but I wanted to get it noted before my warranty (3 year Canada) expired in a few weeks.

If I get any more information I shall pass it on. I posted this in the KURO settings forum as well.

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,275 ·
Thanks Phannon. My 1 yr warranty is up so I would have to try and figure out some way to get it replaced or see how much it would be. I guess I should have bought an extended Squaretrade warranty or something but since the TV wasn't that much I figured I didn't need it and I figured Pioneer had a good rep.

Please let us know what you hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon /forum/post/20755835

My local tech guy has been in contact with the Pioneer Canada service guys about the tint issue. They thought it might be an "X" or "P" board (I might have got that incorrect) but the symptoms do not really fit those board parameters.

They wanted some more information that I passed on to my tech and he will send off the links to the three threads sections here on AVS about the "problem". At least PIONEER Canada seemed to be interested in this. My guy did not say if they were actually aware of this anomaly, but I wanted to get it noted before my warranty (3 year Canada) expired in a few weeks.

If I get any more information I shall pass it on. I posted this in the KURO settings forum as well.

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 /forum/post/20755853

Thanks Phannon. My 1 yr warranty is up so I would have to try and figure out some way to get it replaced or see how much it would be. I guess I should have bought an extended Squaretrade warranty or something but since the TV wasn't that much I figured I didn't need it and I figured Pioneer had a good rep.

Please let us know what you hear!

Even IF we had a warranty it would be hard to get them to fix this reddish black issue...it can only be seen in a very dark room and even then it is very subtle. I would love to know if there is a cheap fix though. I would think that someone at Pioneer has to be aware of this, and what is causing it. I'ver never seen a 9g Kuro in a dark room except for mine, so I really don't know what is 'normal'. One person posted on AVS posted that he has several Kuros, and they all have a slight red tinge to black.

#6,277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon /forum/post/20755835

Cheers,

P.E.H.

Thanks Phannon, keep us posted. The rep I talked to had no knowledge of the issue, and was less than helpfull at resolving it. I had my A-Board replaced, no difference.

Keep us updated as I am still under warranty with Pio Canada, and there may be others awell.

#6,278 ·
I just discovered that my KRP-500M has magenta/blue "sparkles" on pictures with a mostly white background. It shows mostly in the middle of the screen at the top, and at the bottom where I can see a couple of network logo's that must be burned in to the screen. Unless the screen has a lot of white, they aren't visible. My display is just one two years old, and I just started seeing this over the past week or so.

Displaying the KURO menu reduces the white screen and the sparkles. Very odd.

I am running in PURE mode with some of the D-NICE settings.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#6,279 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99
I just discovered that my KRP-500M has magenta/blue "sparkles" on pictures with a mostly white background.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I may have the same problem. In my case it's triggered by very specific white levels that were rare in typical content. As the level increased more and more artifacts were exposed and then nearly all of them would fade away. I sure it's not "burn-in" but I suspect a warranty repair would be denied on that basis

I may try. In the meantime I got a used replacement.

#6,283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/20763900

I may have the same problem. In my case it's triggered by very specific white levels that were rare in typical content. As the level increased more and more artifacts were exposed and then nearly all of them would fade away. I sure it's not "burn-in" but I suspect a warranty repair would be denied on that basis

I may try. In the meantime I got a used replacement.

This sounds curious to me because it reminds me of the issues people usually have when the set isn't receiving min. voltage but typically those kind of artifacts aren't isolated to white. I wonder if it's an issue at top end with the voltage being applied (ie applying enough to get a picture, but not enough to hit the right level). Seems like it would be a board issue, rather than something intrinsic to the panel but I guess you never know without having them test it proper.

#6,284 ·
I am glad the subject of white screen came up. I was checking for the artifacts and found no evidence but I did see some very minor burn in on my 500m. I use it as a computer monitor also and got lazy about using the orbiter and also using the video pattern function periodically. When looking up close at the white screen I could notice a faint Internet explorer e on the bottom of the screen where the task bar is. After several runs of the video pattern it is almost gone. I have put the orbiter back on and have the task bar on auto hide to prevent any further burn in. Lesson learned. I need to take better care of this awesome display.

#6,285 ·
Red tint update:

I just received an e-mail fro a Pioneer tech (actually from Pioneer-usa address.) He indicated he had not really heard of the problem, but he issued me a ticket number and asked a couple questions. He suggested using the wipe function to see if that made any difference. I have never used this function as I have no signs of burn-in. I was wondering if any of you guys who have this problem have used the wipe and if so, did it make any difference?

My local tech sent off the links to the forum threads here (as noted in the above thread - not much activity here recently!), so I assume the Pioneer tech referred them as well.

Do you notice the tint as being consistent? I seem to find that it seems to vary on occasion, sometimes a blank screen is definitely tinted red, especially at the bottom and a little less at the top, but sometimes it looks like it is barely visible and i have to look closely to really notice it. Does the tint seem to get worse over time or does it seem to settle in to some general level? My room has no windows, so my illumination levels are relatively consistent, especially when watching movies, so the variances I see are probably not related to more or less incident light.....maybe old eyes...sometimes it seems much more noticeable than other "similar" situations.

I will keep you updated if I get any more information. I will also post this in the Kuro settings /issues thread thread.

Cheers,

P.E.H.

#6,286 ·
Whew! I'm really happy to see that this thread is still alive and kicking, even though the Pioneers are not. I own a KRP600M which is about 2 years old. The set's 2 HDMI inputs have been ISF calibrated, but I would dearly like to view some of my Laserdiscs thru either the composite input(a direct feed from the Pioneer CLD-D704 LD player to the TV) or via component video feed thru my Elite 56TXi receiver. (Which would be best?) And I was just curious if I could copy all the pic adjustments from one of the HDMI inputs to either the composite or component inputs on the panel with any success? Any suggestions? Thanks!

#6,287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore /forum/post/20821819

... view some of my Laserdiscs thru either the composite input(a direct feed from the Pioneer CLD-D704 LD player to the TV) or via component video feed thru my Elite 56TXi receiver. ... And I was just curious if I could copy all the pic adjustments from one of the HDMI inputs to either the composite or component inputs on the panel with any success? ...

I suggest using the component input. You can copy the settings to that input.