AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread

430K views 4K replies 388 participants last post by  pjp 
#1 ·

Specifications:

Models (2) VPL-HW30AES (3D package) and VPL-HW30ES (projector only)

Brightness: 1300 lumens

Contrast Ratio: 70,000:1 (with Iris)

SXRD Panel: 0.61", 15.4mm

Panel Driver: 240Hz

Lens: F2.52 - F3.02 1.6x manual zoom

Lens Shift: +/-0.65 Vertical, +/-0.25 Horizontal

Lamp 200W UHP

Video Inputs: 2 HDMI 1.4a, Component and HD-Dsub 15 pin (VGA)

Other Connections: RS-232 (remote commands), Mini jack (IR input) and Ethernet (RJ45) Port (3D Emitter only)

Dimensions: 16 1/8"x7 1/8"x18 3/8", 407.4mmx179.2mmx463.9mm

Weight: 22.2lb, 10kg

Power Requirements: 100V to 240V AC, 3A to 1.3A 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: 300W, Standby 8W, Standby Low 0.5W

Fan Noise: 22db (max speed)

RS232 bi-directonal control

Replacement Lamp: LMP-H202

Glasses: TDG-PJ1

3D Emitter: TRM-PJ1*

*You must buy or have an ethernet cable (Cat-5 works fine). No ethernet cable is included and you can't use the emitter (3D) without one.

Features:

3D (all standards supported) and 2D to 3D simulation

Real Color Processing or RCP (aka: CMS)

Picture Modes: 9 (2 users defined)

Motionflow (240Hz): high, low and off

Color Temperature: 9 (5 user defined)

Gamma Settings: 8

Color Space: Normal, Wide 1, Wide 2 and Wide 3

Panel Alignment: 1/10 step

Sony Links:

Sony promo video

Owners Manual (PDF)

RS-232C Codes (PM me for the PDF manual)

Sony (USA)
Sony (Europe)

Marketing Specifications (PDF)
Product Sheet (PDF)
Projector Data Sheet (PDF)

Reviews:

ProjectorReview.com
AVS (First Look video)
Cinetson (French) and English Translation
LA Passion De L'image Et Du Son (French by AVS member kraine) and English Translation
Projector central
AVguide (The Perfect Vision)
Trustedreviews (British)

Measurements by

Tom Huffman

ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators

ISF/THX Calibrations

Rockville, MD

Using Cinema X preset. However, all the presets do is select a pre-defined combination of settings in the user menu. You can emulate any of the presets by simply choosing a User preset and manually selecting all of the associated menu settings.

Light output

With the iris fully open, the lamp on high, the white point calibrated to D65, the Color Space set to Normal, and Contrast set at 85, I measured 832 lumens, which translated to a much-too-bright 30 fL on Mark's 110" Studiotek. You can get more light by raising the contrast control even higher, but then white begins to clip.

Contrast

Iris Open: 5400:1

Iris half closed: 6750:1

Iris fully closed: 7550:1

Auto 1: 25,500:1

Auto 2: 18,800:1

Grayscale Tracking

The best grayscale tracking was with the Low 2 setting. This gave an somewhat reddish white point with a dE average of about 8 in the CIELUV color space. Custom calibration improves this significantly. Post-calibration I got the average dE down to about 2 above 10%. At 10% the reddish tint was uncorrectable.

Gamma

There are several gamma presets and each one includes the ability to tweak the response at the low and high end. I got the best gamma with a setting of 3. Gamma set to Off was a close second.

Color Accuracy

The Normal color space is definitely the most accurate, although even here red and green are shifted slightly to blue. Wide 1, Wide 2, and Wide 3 get progressively more oversaturated, especially along the red-yellow-green line.

Normal

Wide 3

Suggested Settings for closest to D65 picture “out of the box”:

Pic Viewing Mode: Cinema 1

Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Auto 1

Motionflow: Low

Color Temp: Low 1

Gamma: Off (2.2)

Color Space: Normal

Alternant:

Pic Viewing Mode: Cinema 2

Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Off

Gamma: 8

Color: 45

Hue: 0

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/20808862

I find MKV's to be less-then-impressive for image quality regardless if it is a FULL rip or not.

Are you speaking to just 3D MKV's? I can't speak to 3D, but I know my 2D, (non-compressed) MKV Bluray rips look just as good or better (thanks to more flexibility with the HTPC) than the original Blurays.

#28 ·
3D MKV's can't play back in 3D frame packed mode which is likely going to challenge any LCOS 3D system.

I have a 3D MKV of Avatar and the 3D Bluray as well. imo, there is no comparison between the two in regard to overall quality, sharpness, ghosting, etc. This is the case with all my 3D MKV's and really don't bother with them since I have the 3D ISO's stored on my 12TB NAS.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/20808855

Stereoscopic needs to be enabled and it should be if you are using 3DTV and it is functioning. Once you hook up the projector it should detect an HDMI 1.4 device and show you those settings.

For the settings, for 1080p you can output at 24hz and for 720p you can do 120hz. Mine autodetects and I don't have to mess with this.

Use the nvidia stereoscopic player, I never could get Theater 5 to work with anything well. The other alternative is the new PowerDVD.

Also, for the Sony I had to disable my laptop's lcd in order to get 3D to work. Go under multiple displays and disable your LCD and just keep the Sony checked.

Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening. So for refresh rate at 1080p it needs to be set to 24Hz?

I hope the focus problem works out but I'm stating to become concerned that my lens may be defective.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20808441

However I'm having focus issues. When I get the center of the pic focused the 4 corners are out of focus and of course if focus the corners the center is out of focus. My HW30 is about 20' back vertically centered and shelf mounted (not inverted) at about 1/4 from top of screen (133" DaLite HP). Will play more this evening but what could cause this?

William - how far off is the focus in the corners if center is accurate? What image are you focusing on?

I am so used to the autofocus on the JVC that I am having a tough time getting it right on the Sony. I tried Binoculars as someone else suggested, but it's not the same as pressing my nose against the screen with a remote control in hand making micro-adjustments.

I'll look closer tonight at mine to see what it looks like on the edges vs. center.

edit: has anyone viewed the single pixel pattern test on the AVS disk. My convergence is definitely off a bit, but can be easily fixed with the adjustment controls. Someone mentioned not to do this as it would soften the image. This wasn't the case when correcting my JVC's pixel adjustments. Does the Sony do something different that can affect sharpness during panel alignment?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine /forum/post/20803572

Jason the VW90ES have the same ethernet port 3D connection. I will try to answer you about the pin-outs

Kraine - thanks very much. I really want to use my Monster Vision 3D glasses with the Sony and it would be very easy to make a 3 Pin -> RJ45 connector once I can find out the pin values.

thank you!

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/20808963

3D MKV's can't play back in 3D frame packed mode which is likely going to challenge any LCOS 3D system.

I have a 3D MKV of Avatar and the 3D Bluray as well. imo, there is no comparison between the two in regard to overall quality, sharpness, ghosting, etc. This is the case with all my 3D MKV's and really don't bother with them since I have the 3D ISO's stored on my 12TB NAS.

100% agree with Zombie and he explained why. 2D MKV's are fine in this regards.

The fact both of us came to the conclusion that so far these units come close to the Acer/Optoma/any 720p 3D DLP varient says a lot.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20808969

Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening. So for refresh rate at 1080p it needs to be set to 24Hz?

I hope the focus problem works out but I'm stating to become concerned that my lens may be defective.

1080p will be 24hz, correct. The HDMI 1.4 spec does not allow for 60fps yet.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/20809002

William - how far off is the focus in the corners if center is accurate? What image are you focusing on?

I am so used to the autofocus on the JVC that I am having a tough time getting it right on the Sony. I tried Binoculars as someone else suggested, but it's not the same as pressing my nose against the screen with a remote control in hand making micro-adjustments.

I'll look closer tonight at mine to see what it looks like on the edges vs. center.

edit: has anyone viewed the single pixel pattern test on the AVS disk. My convergence is definitely off a bit, but can be easily fixed with the adjustment controls. Someone mentioned not to do this as it would soften the image. This wasn't the case when correcting my JVC's pixel adjustments. Does the Sony do something different that can affectsharpness during panel alignment?

I was just looking at a Windows desktop and noticed the Start button was fuzzy. I then used both the Windows desktop and the (1) internal test pattern. It is maybe an 1/8 of a turn on the focus to get the center in focus and then 1/8 back to get the 4 corner in focus. Hard to assign a specific value to this but from what I saw it was unacceptable.

Strange it only has one test pattern built in.

I have ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard BD, THX Calibration BD and Qdeo HD Video Evaluation disc. I will try some patterns in these tonight and see if I can better determine the extent of the focus problem. I also have to work on my 3D problem too and have very little time tonight.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20809362

Thanks, I wasn't sure if something like 48Hz should show up since this is close to the actual frame rate/data stream.

Just a technical question. Isn't the 3D stream still considered 24fps with a double height frame or SBS or checkerboard (display must extract left/right eye from this "one" frame) as opposed to 48fps where the first frame is left eye and the 2nd frame is right eye? Is there any 1.4 HDMI 3D mode that isn't always a left/right image packed into a single frame?

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey /forum/post/20809798

Just a technical question. Isn't the 3D stream still considered 24fps with a double height frame or SBS or checkerboard (display must extract left/right eye from this "one" frame) as opposed to 48fps where the first frame is left eye and the 2nd frame is right eye? Is there any 1.4 HDMI 3D mode that isn't always a left/right image packed into a single frame?

A standard 2D 1080p frame is 1080 (plus blanking area) x1920. A Packed3D frame (unpacked) is 2205 pixels (plus blanking area) x1920. So I guess while it is still 24 fps (24Hz) it does contain 2x +45 pixels more info than a standard 24Hz 2D. So in effect the amount of data and number of frames would equal a little more than 48fps (48Hz).

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/20809922

William. How much lens shift are you using? If you can, look (from the side) at the chip image exiting the lens. Is it centered, if not, how much is it shifted from center?

Mark,

It should be very little since the projector is almost screen center (about 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the screen and 1/4 of the way down) but I will look tonight and report back. Will also play around and hopefully I just did something wrong. For reference here is a pic of where the projector sits and the screen. The rear speakers are about the same hight (tall) as the front mains.

#41 ·
ghosting really from what i have seen comes when you do the 2d to 3d conversion and have effect set on high or in regular 3d when you have depth at #2 setting. if you have effect set to low or depth at 0 or 1 3d is really pretty good on this. in the opening scenes to RIO everything is really sharp and clear and the 3d effect is really cool. with 3d movies and setting depth at 0 i really didnt see much in the way of gosting.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/20808396

Black HR21. When I gave the girl the reference code on the screen she said there were some early HR21's that don't work well with 3D and she feels a replacement will resolve the issue. If I don't get the new box in by this weekend I will take my upstairs one and bring it downstairs to test just to confirm.

As far as the 2D I know everyone is going to feel differently on this so this is just my opinion with the out-of-box settings on cinema and standard presets. Once you throw it into high lamp mode the picture is amazing with my particular screen. I have a pretty far throw distance, low gain, and a very large screen so that isn't helping things.

From your description of your screen earlier, I am guessing that you have a Center Stage XD screen. I seem to remember testing on the material and it was closer to 1.1 gain. Is your screen a 140" 1.78 screen? If so that is a lot of area to light up. HW30Es sounds like a real winner if it can do that.

Added

I guess I should have read down a few more posts because someone else asked the same question and your screen is 1.78.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20810930

From your description of your screen earlier, I am guessing that you have a Center Stage XD screen. I seem to remember testing on the material and it was closer to 1.1 gain. Is your screen a 140" 1.78 screen? If so that is a lot of area to light up. HW30Es sounds like a real winner if it can do that.

Correct, and I believe the gain is advertised at 1.2 but I could be wrong

I have no doubt if throwing on a smaller screen even with a regular gain screen this thing would shine. I am waiting for my son to get to bed and I will be hooking up my new receiver from DirecTV, talk about service (1 day turn around!)

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22emmittfan /forum/post/20810786

ghosting really from what i have seen comes when you do the 2d to 3d conversion and have effect set on high or in regular 3d when you have depth at #2 setting. if you have effect set to low or depth at 0 or 1 3d is really pretty good on this. in the opening scenes to RIO everything is really sharp and clear and the 3d effect is really cool. with 3d movies and setting depth at 0 i really didnt see much in the way of gosting.

This is what I experienced as well. Once you go above 1 you run into ghosting issues but overall I was impressed with the 2D > 3D feature. I am going to try out some games tonight that are not native 3D.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/20808855

Stereoscopic needs to be enabled and it should be if you are using 3DTV and it is functioning. Once you hook up the projector it should detect an HDMI 1.4 device and show you those settings.

For the settings, for 1080p you can output at 24hz and for 720p you can do 120hz. Mine autodetects and I don't have to mess with this.

Use the nvidia stereoscopic player, I never could get Theater 5 to work with anything well. The other alternative is the new PowerDVD.

Also, for the Sony I had to disable my laptop's lcd in order to get 3D to work. Go under multiple displays and disable your LCD and just keep the Sony checked.

Followed your instructions (for there most part) but for some reason sine I update the software/driver the Stereoscopic menu is no longer available. A couple of storage anomalies I noticed and here is a copy of my Nvidia system iso (if it means anything).

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 08/11/2011 18:06:03

System name: HTPC

[Display]

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GT 520

Driver version: 275.33

DirectX support: 11

CUDA Cores: 48

Core clock: 810 MHz

Shader clock: 1620 MHz

Memory clock: 600 MHz (1200 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 64-bit

Total available graphics memory: 2815 MB

Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR3

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 1791 MB

Video BIOS version: 75.19.1B.00.01

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16

[Components]

easyUpdatusAPIU64.DLL 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

WLMerger.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

Nvlhr.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

daemonu.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

ComUpdatusPS.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

ComUpdatus.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdtr.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdt.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

nvui.dll 7.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdsync.exe 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdbat.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdapix.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

NVCPL.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvCplUIR.dll 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server

NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision

NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application

NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)

nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA Media Center Library

nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server

PhysX 09.10.0514 NVIDIA PhysX

NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA CUDA 4.0.1 driver

nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

When I play a 2D move in TMT5 you can't select 3D (always been this way). When I play a 3D move it says it's in 3D but it's just like 2D on the projector (projector set to Auto 3D). I now the projector glasses are working because I can use simulated 3D. Also when I have a 3D movie playing the projector goes out of power saving and you can't select it. I'm actually pretty bummed because my focus problem is really bad (makes it unwatchable) and can't get 3D to work to boot.

Center of screen sharp but sides or will look at the 2ed pic.

#47 ·
HR22 DirecTV receiver box hooked up, 3D works perfectly on all the channels without any fuss. Some things to note: The 3D depth feature is enabled which is cool but motionflow and lamp mode are disabled just like when you watch MKV files! I am really disappointed you can't adjust either of these with TV. I am going to have to assume it is defaulting in high brightness mode by default and that is why that is not showing up, but motionflow I don't get at all.

This option remains accessible when using my Samsung 3D bluray player so it is not a problem there and I must say it is remarkable. If anyone loves 3D as much as I do this projector is just awesome for what it can do. There is/was slight ghosting with Monsters vs. Aliens on the bridge scene and in others but if you set the depth to -1 it goes away. Simulated 2D > 3D works well with games as well and having the ability to add motionflow on top of it is even better, especially for racing games.

I am going to check for fuzzy corners as reported by William in a minute with my laptop.

#48 ·
William,

Bad news, I could not reproduce the fuzyness issue you are experiencing on mine. Here is my laptop hooked up to the projector and no other adjustments taken with my iphone4.

The good news is if you can't figure it out I live in Atlanta as well so maybe we can meet up and test your unit out over here or I could bring mine by.

#49 ·
@ William - it's difficult to tell with a handheld shot. Do you have a camera w/ tripod?

what is your HTPC setup?

I am using an Windows 64bit install, Nvidia GT430 half height card and the Nvidia drivers from a few months ago. I do have the Nvidia dongle hooked up which enables 3D playback via the drivers. it works perfect with TMT5 and Power DVD 10.

The new Nvidia drivers will not play back 3D unless you 1. either have the hardware dongle installed or 2. purchase the $40 software that allows 3D playback on HDMI 1.4 devices.

I am not sure if this applies to your setup, but I am posting for anyone looking to use the Nvidia cards to drive their Sony HW30's.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20811062

Followed your instructions (for there most part) but for some reason sine I update the software/driver the Stereoscopic menu is no longer available. A couple of storage anomalies I noticed and here is a copy of my Nvidia system iso (if it means anything).

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 08/11/2011 18:06:03

System name: HTPC

[Display]

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GT 520

Driver version: 275.33

DirectX support: 11

CUDA Cores: 48

Core clock: 810 MHz

Shader clock: 1620 MHz

Memory clock: 600 MHz (1200 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 64-bit

Total available graphics memory: 2815 MB

Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB DDR3

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 1791 MB

Video BIOS version: 75.19.1B.00.01

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16

[Components]

easyUpdatusAPIU64.DLL 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

WLMerger.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

Nvlhr.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

daemonu.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

ComUpdatusPS.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

ComUpdatus.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdtr.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdt.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components

nvui.dll 7.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdsync.exe 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdbat.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdapix.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

NVCPL.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvCplUIR.dll 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server

NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision

NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application

NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.12.6742 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)

nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA Media Center Library

nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server

PhysX 09.10.0514 NVIDIA PhysX

NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA CUDA 4.0.1 driver

nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

When I play a 2D move in TMT5 you can't select 3D (always been this way). When I play a 3D move it says it's in 3D but it's just like 2D on the projector (projector set to Auto 3D). I now the projector glasses are working because I can use simulated 3D. Also when I have a 3D movie playing the projector goes out of power saving and you can't select it. I'm actually pretty bummed because my focus problem is really bad (makes it unwatchable) and can't get 3D to work to boot.

Center of screen sharp but sides or will look at the 2ed pic.

Do you have the Nvidia 3D vision kit? If so hook it up and the options should show up in the control panel once you do the setup.

If you don't have the kit just get 3DTV from Nvidia's website for $40-50 and it will work since you have an HDMI 1.4 display.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html

I will also note I had this very issue with my DLP TV upstairs because it is NOT HDMI 1.4 compliant. In order to get the 3D options to show up with it I had to have the 3D Kit dongle attached to my PC and even then it still gave me issues. Reinstalling the drivers with it hooked up to my TV and having the dongle plugged in resolved the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.