AVS Forum banner

The Official Stewart Film Screen thread.

773K views 5K replies 935 participants last post by  Rehan 
#1 ·
Post all your questions and answers related to Stewart to this thread.

Please, no sales or marketing. It will be removed.

#1,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic /forum/post/20552291

Thanks guys. I think I will opt for the Firehawk G3 then as that seems like the screen based on the fact that I don't want to be devoid of light everytime I sit to watch a TV or a movie.

Anybody have any experience here with the Firehawk G3 and the Panny 4000?

I went back and forth as well. Just put up a Studiotech AT 127" with the panny 4000 ceiling mounted. I have 2 rows of seats 12' & 18' away. Each row has 2 high hats with 120 watt bulbs on dimmers. Watch the Yankee game with lights on ~50% and the image was amazing. I could have had the lights on brighter if I chose.

I'm very happy with my choice over the FH or BD given my set up. No windows, light control. My only hesitation on the ST was the ability to keep some light on when watching sports etc. In my current set up it is no problem at all

#1,282 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackstrawWichita
I went back and forth as well. Just put up a Studiotech AT 127" with the panny 4000 ceiling mounted. I have 2 rows of seats 12' & 18' away. Each row has 2 high hats with 120 watt bulbs on dimmers. Watch the Yankee game with lights on ~50% and the image was amazing. I could have had the lights on brighter if I chose.

I'm very happy with my choice over the FH or BD given my set up. No windows, light control. My only hesitation on the ST was the ability to keep some light on when watching sports etc. In my current set up it is no problem at all
I agree with this statement. Lighting on dimmers, as long as it doesn't project directly on the screen is ok (to a certain degree). Daylight however is a killer.

#1,283 ·
I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but I'm curious if a Firehawk g3 will be compatible with any of jvc's newer 3d projectors. I saw someone comment it wouldn't be an issue with the ST130 and although I won't be changing out pj for awhile, I really don't want to replace the screen material.

#1,284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside /forum/post/20615003

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but I'm curious if a Firehawk g3 will be compatible with any of jvc's newer 3d projectors. I saw someone comment it wouldn't be an issue with the ST130 and although I won't be changing out pj for awhile, I really don't want to replace the screen material.

Stewart is coming out with a high gain screen that would be better in 3d.

#1,286 ·
They recently came out with the new 5D material which is geared for 2D and also passive 3D.

If you are worried if the Studiotek 130 will work with 3D, you are ok. If you are asking about a new skin for your existing frame, you can look into the Firehawk LS material....better for 3D than the Firehawk G3.

Benito

#1,287 ·
I have lived happily with my Firehawk 92" Horizonal Electrimask (maybe G2) for 5 years until I move to my new house with bigger room W15' x D22' x H9.5'. The screen seems to be too small and I plan to replace it with 110" size. My current projector is JVC RS-20. I built RPG diffusor on the Front wall for 2-channel optimization, so I cannot use fixed/on-wall screen. The room tone color is in dark Grey both wall and ceiling. Only 1 window which has the double curtain to control the light.

This is my 1st time to change the screen, so I don't have much experience on it and looking for the right screen:

- I can't live without electrimask for 2.35:1 movie

- I plan to replace my projector with JVC RS-60 or new gen next year.

- I may sometimes watch 3-D movies after changing the projector.

- Should I stay with Firehawk model like G3 or change to StudioTek130 G3 or any other screen models?

Many thanks for any suggestion.

#1,288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrellMania /forum/post/20704625

I have lived happily with my Firehawk 92" Horizonal Electrimask (maybe G2) for 5 years until I move to my new house with bigger room W15' x D22' x H9.5'. The screen seems to be too small and I plan to replace it with 110" size. My current projector is JVC RS-20. I built RPG diffusor on the Front wall for 2-channel optimization, so I cannot use fixed/on-wall screen. The room tone color is in dark Grey both wall and ceiling. Only 1 window which has the double curtain to control the light.

This is my 1st time to change the screen, so I don't have much experience on it and looking for the right screen:

- I can't live without electrimask for 2.35:1 movie

- I plan to replace my projector with JVC RS-60 or new gen next year.

- I may sometimes watch 3-D movies after changing the projector.

- Should I stay with Firehawk model like G3 or change to StudioTek130 G3 or any other screen models?

Many thanks for any suggestion.

Will your speaker placement require you to do microperf?

With that room, i guess it all comes down to how much light you can eliminate from coming through that window. If you can get most or all of it, definitely go with a Studiotek 130. If a lot of light is coming through, go with the Firehawk G3.

Benito

#1,289 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20708934

Will your speaker placement require you to do microperf?

With that room, i guess it all comes down to how much light you can eliminate from coming through that window. If you can get most or all of it, definitely go with a Studiotek 130. If a lot of light is coming through, go with the Firehawk G3.

Benito

My Maxx2 is placed on the side and around 3' in front of the screen. I am quite concerned about sound set up and my current speaker placement would allow 110" max but not sure if microperf is required or not.

The double curtain could eliminate over 95% of the light (just small glimpse underneath the curtain).

Just notice the new Silver 5D model good for both 2D and 3D.

Would that be an interesting choice if I watch 3D sometimes?

#1,290 ·
I would suggest you get some samples. Me personally, i would recommend the Studiotek 130 for your application but without personally being there, it's hard to make a firm recommendation.

The Silver 5D material is amazing if you are doing standard 2D and passive 3D. So it really depends on what type of 3D you will be using.

Benito

#1,291 ·
Anyone got any info besides what is shown on the Stewart site on the new Reflections Active 3D screen. I'm trying to select (been trying for 6 months now
) around ~110 inch fixed screen for my new full batcave theater. I'm already in 3D age with my DLA-X3 projector so I'm looking for the best 2D/3D combo screen there is so high polarization preservation would be very nice.

This new screen sounds quite interesting (I was torn between Silver 5D and ST130 before this), but atm even the minimum projection distance is not available. The 1.7 gain also sounds nice, would boost JVCs brightness without high lamp mode. I'm quite allergic to visible screen coating/texture, anyone seen this screen in dealer demo or similar? I've been asking for samples for current generation of ST130 and Silver 5D from my local dealer but it seems to take ages to get anything on this side of pond.

#1,292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr /forum/post/20816877

Anyone got any info besides what is shown on the Stewart site on the new Reflections Active 3D screen. I'm trying to select (been trying for 6 months now
) around ~110 inch fixed screen for my new full batcave theater. I'm already in 3D age with my DLA-X3 projector so I'm looking for the best 2D/3D combo screen there is so high polarization preservation would be very nice.

This new screen sounds quite interesting (I was torn between Silver 5D and ST130 before this), but atm even the minimum projection distance is not available. The 1.7 gain also sounds nice, would boost JVCs brightness without high lamp mode. I'm quite allergic to visible screen coating/texture, anyone seen this screen in dealer demo or similar? I've been asking for samples for current generation of ST130 and Silver 5D from my local dealer but it seems to take ages to get anything on this side of pond.

The Reflections Active 170 3D would be your best choice for both 2D and 3D imaging. The Silver 5D is for passive 3D and your JVC DLA-X3 is active using shutter glasses.

#1,293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd /forum/post/20816925

The Reflections Active 170 3D would be your best choice for both 2D and 3D imaging. The Silver 5D is for passive 3D and your JVC DLA-X3 is active using shutter glasses.

That follows my thinking too, but details on the characteristics of this new material are still a bit lacking. I mean things like

- what is the minimum throw distance?

- any drawbacks if projector is ceiling mounted eg. around top or a bit above screen?

- is it already available/shipping?

Just trying to figure out if this material is worth waiting/suitable for my environment (throw distance 1.7 x screen width, ceiling mounted projector...)

#1,294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr /forum/post/20820206

That follows my thinking too, but details on the characteristics of this new material are still a bit lacking. I mean things like

- what is the minimum throw distance?

- any drawbacks if projector is ceiling mounted eg. around top or a bit above screen?

- is it already available/shipping?

Just trying to figure out if this material is worth waiting/suitable for my environment (throw distance 1.7 x screen width, ceiling mounted projector...)

Reflections Active 170 3D is similar to most elevated gain screens; longer throws really help with minimizing hot spotting and maximizing center to edge uniformity.

The longer the throw, the more collimated the projected light is and the smaller the standard deviation of incident angles. This results in better image uniformity.

Reflections Active represents what Stewart Filmscreen feels is an optimum balance of light recovery for insertion loss, while retaining a functional half gain performance with 'normal' lenses. 1.5:1 throw distance would be a functional minimum, but the display quality will benefit a lot from longer focal lengths when possible.

Reflections Active is a great performer with high mounted projectors. The behavior of the material is to distribute light within it's stated off axis performance, along an angular reflective path. So a high mounted projector will tend to deliver light centered slightly lower than the angle of incidence. Reflections active is not retro-reflective like glass bead screens, which benefit from lower projector mounting options.

It's always good practice to keep the projector within the upper and lower limits of the screen's top and bottom sight lines when possible. Extreme mounting positions, result in the need to use digital anti-keystone utilities that have highly deleterious effects on image fidelity. Many projectors now have highly functional lens shift options, but not all are equal, and some extreme settings may affect brightness uniformity, increase chromatic aberration artifacts, and result in geometry distortions.

Reflections Active is shipping at the end of September 2011, and will be available in all of Stewart's mounting systems, fixed frame, electrically operated drop down, with or without masking. The material can be either Micro-Perforated or Cinema Perforated upon request.

#1,296 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie ford
Question. If I were to look at the surface of a studiotek 130 screen how would I be able to tell if its the G3 vs. the earlier version?

Thanks.
without experience it would be hard to tell. I can tell you that the G3 version is much much smoother than the previous generation but without experience of the G2 version, you have nothing to compare it to.

I don't even think you'd be able to get a sample of the older version.

If it feels really rough, it's the old version. If it feels smooth, you're working with the G3.

benito

#1,297 ·
Talked my local vendor about Reflections Active 170 3D and it seems over here it will take several months, maybe until Q1/2012 before we're gonna see actual screens at this side of Atlantic. I'm a bit tempted to wait and use a cheap screen as a place-holder for some months (as I was super happy with my Greyhawk Electriscreen in my old short throw living room setup), but info about polarization retaining characteristics with screen this seems to be nowhere to be found. I mean if this screen retains significant amount of polarization with 1.7 gain it will be perfect for active 3D with for example my JVC DLA-X3. Even the gain layer in the Grayhawk had a huge effect on the 3D brightness due to polarization retained.

However, if the 1.7 gain is alone supposed to increase 3D brightness enough then I might as well get 1.2-1.3 gain screen with some polarization retention for equal brightness without having to wait near half-a-year.

Anyone any info about this? Any news about sample availability? It would be perfect if a sample would be tested and info added to "Screens for 3D Projection" thread. Getting any samples in Europe seems to be nearly impossible

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1300238

#1,298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20953488

without experience it would be hard to tell. I can tell you that the G3 version is much much smoother than the previous generation but without experience of the G2 version, you have nothing to compare it to.

I don't even think you'd be able to get a sample of the older version.

If it feels really rough, it's the old version. If it feels smooth, you're working with the G3.

benito

Thanks for the reply. I will check the smoothness or lack there of. I have recentley purchased a pre-owned, but never mounted, ST130 and there is some confusion, from the folks at Stewart as well, as to whether it is G3 or the former version of the 130.

To that end I did my projector calculations using the Stewart website which has data for the ST 130 G3, it seems, through reading completely through this thread, that the minimum throw distance for the ST 130 is 1.4 times width versus 1.3 times the width for the G3 material. I should be ok, if these numbers are accurate, but am just a foot inside the minimum with my short throw Marantz VP4001 projector.

Can anyone here confirm the 1.4 figure I mentioned above? Thanks, I know I can always phone Stewart if need be but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks again.

#1,299 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie ford /forum/post/20954743

Thanks for the reply. I will check the smoothness or lack there of. I have recentley purchased a pre-owned, but never mounted, ST130 and there is some confusion, from the folks at Stewart as well, as to whether it is G3 or the former version of the 130.

To that end I did my projector calculations using the Stewart website which has data for the ST 130 G3, it seems, through reading completely through this thread, that the minimum throw distance for the ST 130 is 1.4 times width versus 1.3 times the width for the G3 material. I should be ok, if these numbers are accurate, but am just a foot inside the minimum with my short throw Marantz VP4001 projector.

Can anyone here confirm the 1.4 figure I mentioned above? Thanks, I know I can always phone Stewart if need be but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks again.

Get the serial number of the existing screen, i can find out for you with that if it's the G2 or G3 version.

What image size are you going with? How far back are you putting the projector?

Benito

#1,300 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin
Get the serial number of the existing screen, i can find out for you with that if it's the G2 or G3 version.

What image size are you going with? How far back are you putting the projector?

Benito
That's kind of you, thanks. I will pm you the serial number but will need to dig it out/up.

The screen size is 110" diagonal with my Marantz showing a max throw distance of 12'7". (this is from the Marantz manual as well as projector calc.)

If the older 130 material is 1.4 times width that would call for a minimum throw distance of a hair under 11'. If my calculations are corect..(110" diagonal screen having a width of 94".

Thanks again for your help.

Jamie

#1,301 ·
I have received differing recs on which stewart screen gain to choose.

The choice is between studiotek 130 and ultramatte 150 or the new reflections screen( gain is 1.7)

The room is totally light controlled with dark walls. The new 2D and 3D projector will be the sony 95es with rated 1000 lumens---at least on day one! The screen size will be 114 inches diagonal--56 x 99 inches in 16:9 AR . The throw distance is 13.5 feet and I will watch 2D movies 80 percent and 3D 20 percent--with definite light fall-off in 3D----sooooo which gain to choose: 1.3 or 1.5---or 1.7 thanx