AVS Forum banner

How to Build Your Own Home Theater - Part 1 of 4

27K views 101 replies 55 participants last post by  lespurgeon 
#1 ·
How to Build Your Own Home Theater - Part 1 of 4
Author - Len Calderone

This is the first of a 4 part series that will walk you through the process designing and building a home theater.

Many people buy a LCD television, such as a 55 or 65 flat screen, add a $200.00 theater in a box from Wal-Mart, and call it a home theater. Of course, the couch or lazy Boy is the seating. This is as basic as it gets.

Let's step this up a notch and see how to have a large projection screen (70 or better) and a projector, as the basis for a true home theater. We will look at what's available to make a comfortable home theater that you will be proud to show off.

Read the complete article at HomeToys.com

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme /forum/post/20873929

When I dim the lights and the screen casts a picture and the sound fills the air the enjoyment begins.

This article has the typical elitist attitude that personally ditracts from the true meaning of the home theater enjoyment,

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a fellow worker. He said he would NEVER drive a common folk car like a $20,000 minivan. 6 years, marriage and two kids later; he owns a Honda civic and a midline used Honda odysses. He is happier than ever.

He laughed at his arrogance and admitted he had more things to enjoy than just the one.

Whether it's a $600 home theater or a $600,000 hometheter, it's how much you enjoy something that matters.

I don't disagree ... however, a multi purpose room, rec room, living room etc, is not by definition a Home Theater .. I suppose that a TV and a sound system of any sort could be considered a Home Theater if the only purpose of the space it is located in is to watch content ..

As I mentioned earlier, a Home Theater is designed to replicate the environment of a commericial theater .. that's why it's called a Home Theater ...

#28 ·
Excellent points about human nature in this thread. Of course I'm going to be "elitist" about the huge amounts of time and effort I put into constructing my "true" Home Theater and be dismissive about a TV + HTIB being called the same thing. Maybe it's not right but that's the way I feel. My wife has done 13 Ironman triathlons. That's a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run. Recently, with the proliferation of short courses, the sport has exploded in popularity and participation. Some pork chop saunters into the office on Monday morning and says smugly, "Yeah, did an Ironman this weekend." NO! You did a sprint triathlon - a 1/4 mi. swim, a 12 mile bike and a 3 mile run/walk. Congratulations -I'm sure you are enjoying the result of your 90 minutes of effort. Well done. But it ain't the same as 12 hours in the lava fields of Kona and it irks me that a lot of people don't know the difference. Right or wrong, people like to receive appropriate recognition for the results of their efforts, be it two years of do-it-yourself on a budget or being successful enough to hire a pro. As far as I'm concerned, it ain't the same as a quick trip to Wallyworld and and 20 minutes plugging it in. But then, I could be wrong.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20873952

I don't disagree ... however, a multi purpose room, rec room, living room etc, is not by definition a Home Theater .. I suppose that a TV and a sound system of any sort could be considered a Home Theater if the only purpose of the space it is located in is to watch content ..

As I mentioned earlier, a Home Theater is designed to replicate the environment of a commericial theater .. that's why it's called a Home Theater ...

to me, HT is defined by some simple criteria;

big TV, multiple speakers, chair, and a reasonable amount of darkness = home theater.

Of course there are various levels of HT. A house is a house some are bigger, more expensive. But if a structure has a kitchen, dining area, bedrooms, sitting area and bathrooms well to me that is a house.

Not everyone has the same criteria that defines a house. Some will say it needs a 7 car garage, others will say a pool. Not every house offers the same quality of living as the next.

Only a man can define what makes his castle his castle.

I have been to some very crappy theaters in my lifetime where my HT experience is far better. Then again, I have been to some theaters where my HT can't offer 1/100 of the experience.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimule /forum/post/20874286

Excellent points about human nature in this thread. Of course I'm going to be "elitist" about the huge amounts of time and effort I put into constructing my "true" Home Theater and be dismissive about a TV + HTIB being called the same thing. Maybe it's not right but that's the way I feel. My wife has done 13 Ironman triathlons. That's a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run. Recently, with the proliferation of short courses, the sport has exploded in popularity and participation. Some pork chop saunters into the office on Monday morning and says smugly, "Yeah, did an Ironman this weekend." NO! You did a sprint triathlon - a 1/4 mi. swim, a 12 mile bike and a 3 mile run/walk. Congratulations -I'm sure you are enjoying the result of your 90 minutes of effort. Well done. But it ain't the same as 12 hours in the lava fields of Kona and it irks me that a lot of people don't know the difference. Right or wrong, people like to receive appropriate recognition for the results of their efforts, be it two years of do-it-yourself on a budget or being successful enough to hire a pro. As far as I'm concerned, it ain't the same as a quick trip to Wallyworld and and 20 minutes plugging it in. But then, I could be wrong.

Let me ask this, did your wife do a FULL triathlon the first time she did a "triathlon" or was it a reduced triathlon where each segment has a lesser criterion? Is every triathlon the same exec degree of difficulty, distances and terrain?

Those events that aren't a full triathlon are still called triathlons because they have certain components that fulfill the criteria to call it as such.

Some have the swimming segment is in a lake, some in the ocean, some have runs on the beach some only on asphalt, cycling is all flat where others encounter hills.

Does anyone think Greg Lemond first road race was the Tour de France?

How about Jeff Gordon, think his first race was in a Nascar car? no but the various levels of racing met the criteria of a race.

Does a Nascar car have the exact engine of a cart, no but it has the same basic components that make it a "race car"

#31 ·

Quote:

a multi purpose room, rec room, living room etc, is not by definition a Home Theater

Sure they are - they're just not dedicated home theaters.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimule /forum/post/20874286

Arrogance at it's best. As for your wife. Before she got to her "elite" status of being in shape she had to start somewhere. Even the smaller triathlons are still exactly that. Like it or not your example was poor. If I go out and do a triathlon and it isn't an IRON MAN one then so be it. It is still in fact a triathlon. Ones clearly much bigger then the other.

Is high school football not football because of the NFL? Same thing goes with any sport for that matter. Your answer. Yes. It's the same thing. One is clearly more advanced then the other.

Like it or not. An LCD or Plasma set with a decent sound (including HTIB) is still a home theater. Is it as classy or pro as others? Maybe. Maybe not.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20874365

Sure they are - they're just not dedicated home theaters.

I agree with this statement.

What is a theater. Some theaters have a full dining experience where others don't.

I fall back on the components, here is a blurb from The Last Castle about the General saying what makes a castle. Never one says what each component is made from or should be.Last Castle Script

[Man] Take a look

at a castle, any castle.

Now break down the key elements that make it a castle.

They haven't changed in a thousand years.

One, location. A site on high ground that commands the territory...
living room, den, downstairs, dedicated room

as far as the eye can see.

Two, protection, ; big walls. Walls strong enough to withstand a frontal attack.
seats so people can enjoy, couch, theater seats so on

Three, a garrison. Men who are trained and willing to kill.
speakers 3, 4, 5, 6 7 how ever many

Four, a flag.

You tell your men,

"You're soldiers and that's our flag."
this is your TV

You tell them nobody takes our flag.

[Man]

One step forward. Forward!

And you raise that flag so it flies high where everyone can see it.

Now you've got yourself a castle.
turn it on and enjoy it, Now you have yourself an HT

#34 ·
Christ on a cracker! Relax guys. So defensive of what a home theater is or is not, based upon what it is you own.

As I stated previosuly. A tv and speakers and reciever, no matter what level of quality, is just that, a damned TV!

Before I built my dedicated theater, I never had the gall or arrogance to call my system a "theater". Even though it was all Pioneer Elite electronics, Boston Acoustics VR and 2 monstrous Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" subs.

At that point, yes, it was a very impressive system, but was not a theater until I built a dedicated room with a projector and large format screen, made SOLELY for the purpose of watching damned movies.

Im sure you greatly wish to pump and shout from the rooftops the quality of what you have built, but dont detract from the people that have worked and sacrificed to create a very real "home theater" by claiming youve done it too.

A big bunch of crybabies, in essence.

#35 ·
I have a dedicated theater with a 136" wide screen and JVC RS20 projector. Buy I don't deny others the right to call their room a home theater just because it doesn't have a projector.

#36 ·
We can discuss word play all day .. the fact remains that a Home Theater is an area that replicates a commercial theater .. you can can call your own viewing space whatever you like, including Home Theater if that's what you want to call it ..

I have a Home Theater .. a dedicated area that is used exclusively for viewing content and nothing else .. just like a commercial theater .. and replicates the commercial cinema experience as closely as my budget allowed .. containing a projector, a screen, 7.2 sound .. although the equipment may vary from what I use, the intent is the same ..

To declare otherwise does a diservice to the many of us that have been in this hobby long before it even had a name or went mainstream ..

#37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn
We can discuss word play all day .. the fact remains that a Home Theater is an area that replicates a commercial theater .. you can can call your own viewing space whatever you like, including Home Theater if that's what you want to call it ..

I have a Home Theater .. a dedicated area that is used exclusively for viewing content and nothing else .. just like a commercial theater .. and replicates the commercial cinema experience as closely as my budget allowed .. containing a projector, a screen, 7.2 sound .. although the equipment may vary from what I use, the intent is the same ..

To declare otherwise does a diservice to the many of us that have been in this hobby long before it even had a name or went mainstream ..
Well, none of us posers want to do a disservice to those with a real Home Theater.

So what do we officially call a "home theater" set up in a non-dedicated room? Can the owner of such a system be considered a "home theater" enthusiast or is that also deemed offensive to the elite? If he uses a PC to control media in his non-dedicated room setup, is it offensive to call it a HTPC?

#38 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectevolution
Well, none of us posers want to do a disservice to those with a real Home Theater.

So what do we officially call a "home theater" set up in a non-dedicated room? Can the owner of such a system be considered a "home theater" enthusiast or is that also deemed offensive to the elite? If he uses a PC to control media in his non-dedicated room setup, is it offensive to call it a HTPC?
I keep my posts unemotional, and ask others do the same when replying .. so, please take a moment and actually read what I wrote ..

"you can can call your own viewing space whatever you like, including Home Theater if that's what you want to call it .. "

There is no elitism here .. I am talking about the definition of the term .. if you care to debate, then do so .. I am not debating ..

#39 ·
Quote:
There is no elitism here .. I am talking about the definition of the term .. if you care to debate, then do so .. I am not debating ..
Quote:
Both your quotes, and you claim no elitism. Your points and stance are ridiculous and not worth debating.

EDIT: This will be my last post on this. I'm off to go run an Iron Man this evening.

#40 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectevolution
Both your quotes, and you claim no elitism. Your points and stance are ridiculous and not worth debating.

EDIT: This will be my last post on this. I'm off to go run an Iron Man this evening.
Or is that really just an Iron Boy? ;-)

#41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts
FTA:

What is that supposed to mean? What is an "HDTV" movie? Many (most?) new movies are still in 2.35:1 aspect ratio....
An HDTV movie uses 16:9 format, as the article said. 'scope movies use 2.35:1, and there are a half dozen others aspects too.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonetruegreg /forum/post/20870578

Not arrogant, factual. If you can't afford to build a true theater, that's completely fine, build what fits in your budget and suits your needs and space.

...but don't make the arrogant leap yourself by calling the system you have built with a television display in a living room a "theater"

My 65 inch plasma and 7.1 surround sound are a home theater and just because your ignorance says it is not shows how little you know. It is called a home theater because in the home we try to create a theater like experience which is personalized to each individual taste. You can take your arrogance and stick it in your better than thou ass. You come across as an arrogant jerk then wonder why people are mad.

You are not the home theater god, you do not dictate to others what is and is not a home theater, i do have a home theater in my living room that i enjoy as much, if not more that you enjoy your "real theater" (lmao) it is a home theater suited to my needs and preference and if you do not like what i call it, well then you can k.m.a.

When i walk into my living room and put in Black Hawk Down my living room then becomes my dedicated room to watch "damned movies" in. When i go in there and watch the ball game then it is my living room. Does that make your highness feel any better? If not i don't care.

#44 ·
this is a sticky topic. I mean my version of a True home theater is a dedicated room for watching movies and even sports in. I havea 50" 1080P Plasma on the wall along with a Samsung 1000w blueray system in my living room. Which is awesome to watch tv and movies on.. However I just spent about 9 months converting my basement into a true home theater. Now as far as money goes, I was and am on a shoe string budget.. And when I say shoe string I mean shoe string.. I have spent no more than $600.00-$700.00 for my whole setup down there at the moment(projector, sound, seats, decor..etc). That's half the reason its taken me 9 months is because I couldn't spend it all at once. But it looks pretty cool to me and those that see it, and the experience is top notch when it comes to watching movies.

In my humble view you don't always need to spend $10,000-$40,000 on a home theater to have it sound and feel and look like it. Later I'll post some pics of mine. And some of you may laugh when u see it, and that's fine by me. I said all that to say there should be 2 categories of "home theater". Dedicated and not.

#45 ·
Obviously there are many interpretations here of what 'Home Theater' is and that's fine but for those that do not buy into the recreation of an actual cinema experience where do you draw the line... if the term is used so loosely then even a 32" monitor with a sound bar can be called an HT (I'm sorry but there is nothing THEATER like there). I would have to guess that what has happened here is simply a transition of time, those that are older and been in the hobby for a long time know the term was not tossed about for anyone having a tv connected to a stereo system. As far as I am aware when the term was coined it meant creating a theater like experience in the home. Over the years it has become a term that gives any one with just about any sort of display + external sound the right to say they have a 'Home Theater'. While there is obviously a huge range of systems that can be considered home theaters we as AVS'ers (being enthusiasts/purists of the hobby) should know it is not elitist to use the term as it was initially intended. Obviously there is no harm in calling your 50" hdtv + 5.1 surround system a home theater but at the same time realize that is not what the A/V industry would term a 'Home Theater'.

I have multiple systems and only one do I call a 'home theater' even though they all have displays that are 42"+ and all have at least 5.1 surround (one is 3D).

Not debating with anyone here just adding some reason and logic to the discussion.

Jason

#48 ·
Personally id say my sub $500 home theater is better than any commercial theater in a 200 mile radius. Main specs are 65" Sony rear projection tv, $200 jbl bass550esc that's been heavily modes, $30 including the mods, Sony preamp and eq, $20 onkyo sub and rear channel speakers, $20, and an xbox 360 streaming hd from netflix and playing dvds, free as a b-day present. The sound is amazing with the onkyo pumping out deep chest pounding bass and the jbl pumping mid bass with brilliant mids and highs provided by the jbl front speakers and onkyo rears. The picture is good but I need to get around to setting my colors to a standards disc of some sort. And mind you this is all framed in the livingroom of a trailerhouse so its about as big as it gets. People are amazed at how good the sound and picture are compared to the local theater so its not just my opinion. Point is you can build a great home theater anywhere and at any price point if you are patient and take your time. It took about 5 years to piece together with the last upgrade being the tv. A home theater is just that, a HOME theater. If what you want is a livingroom by day and theater at night, you compromise and buy what works for you.

#50 ·

Quote:

couldn't agree more. "HOME THEATRE", not "MULTI PURPOSE ROOM that can also be used as a gaming room, family room, watching movies, exercise, reading, studying". Even as a hobbyist of more than 2 decades, I never claimed I own a home theatre until I have a dedicated room with front projection although prior to that I have a very similar set up with an Pioneer Elite 50" plasma viewed from 7ft away in a dedicated nook of the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.