AVS Forum banner

Good Lord! A "Flatliners" remake?

1K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  smudge981 
#1 ·
#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20878262

Wasn't meant to be malicious. Just saying, instead of saying "stop making movies" because you're offended by all the remakes and the limitation of dramatic narratives that stories can pull from; start judging films based objectively on their standalone merit.

You're saying I Don't judge films by their standalone merit. Of course I do. To say I do otherwise is insulting.

I'm saying that this remake craze is just plain lazy, uninspired, unoriginal filmmaking. It's getting completely obnoxiously out of hand.

Hollywood is run by accountants, who wouldn't know a good movie if it flew out of their arse. They look at the numbers a famous film did, and then look for people to redo them so they can make money selling old ideas to a new audience. It's disgusting.

Some remakes are good, the vast majority are crap, plain and simple, but they keep coming because they make a boatload of money. I shouldn't HAVE to judge a remake at all. They are not made to improve the original...they are made to make money, quality be damned.

I want to see more young filmmakers make their own movies based on original ideas.

After all, that's what the creators of the original movies that are being remade did. They used their creative brains to come up with something original, or worked from books that were never made into films before (with a few exceptions of course).

The people who remake them are creativity parasites.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore /forum/post/20878839

Hollywood is run by accountants, who wouldn't know a good movie if it flew out of their arse. They look at the numbers a famous film did, and then look for people to redo them so they can make money selling old ideas to a new audience. It's disgusting.

USA 2011 and welcome to it. Notice anything else repeating in the world right now? See a pattern?

#15 ·
I was just thinking how the original with Kiefer Sutherland was linear in its approach and how it could be made better with an "Inception"-like makeover. The original was novel in its day but could have been so much better.

#17 ·
Flatliners remake? I remember not liking the first one.

If you're going to do a remake shoot for the stars. Case in point: The retelling of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Now there was a by God good remake worthy of the name. I bet if Keanu had been at the helm the Titanic wouldn't have sunk. I hope we get The Deer Hunter remade with Seth Rogen next year. Hollywood never lets me down, so I'm excited.

#18 ·
I remember being disappointed in the first one. But I was quite intrigued by the concept of the movie before it was released. I always liked movies like "Altered States" and "Brainstorm" and "Dreamscape" that explored these mindscapes, so exploring life after death seemed like it would be right up my alley. But the movie didn't deliver the goods.

Hopefully the remake can, but I'm not holding my breath.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20877645

There are only 36 dramatic situations. No story is new anymore.

Yeah, there are only 36 basic plot points available. It all depends on how you mix and match them to make a story seem new or different.

1.Supplication (in which the Supplicant must beg something from Power in authority)

2.Deliverance

3.Crime Pursued by Vengeance

4.Vengeance taken for kindred upon kindred

5.Pursuit

6.Disaster

7.Falling Prey to Cruelty of Misfortune

8.Revolt

9.Daring Enterprise

10.Abduction

11.The Enigma (temptation or a riddle)

12.Obtaining

13.Enmity of Kinsmen

14.Rivalry of Kinsmen

15.Murderous Adultery

16.Madness

17.Fatal Imprudence

18.Involuntary Crimes of Love (example: discovery that one has married one's mother, sister, etc.)

19.Slaying of a Kinsman Unrecognized

20.Self-Sacrificing for an Ideal

21.Self-Sacrifice for Kindred

22.All Sacrificed for Passion

23.Necessity of Sacrificing Loved Ones

24.Rivalry of Superior and Inferior

25.Adultery

26.Crimes of Love

27.Discovery of the Dishonor of a Loved One

28.Obstacles to Love

29.An Enemy Loved

30.Ambition

31.Conflict with a God

32.Mistaken Jealousy

33.Erroneous Judgement

34.Remorse

35.Recovery of a Lost One

36.Loss of Loved Ones.

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html

#20 ·
Much like the original Fright Night, Flatliners was a movie with a good concept that totally sucked in execution. This seems like a good candidate for a remake. Take the concept, and throw out all the crappy parts.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin /forum/post/20880397

I remember being disappointed in the first one. But I was quite intrigued by the concept of the movie before it was released. I always liked movies like "Altered States" and "Brainstorm" and "Dreamscape" that explored these mindscapes, so exploring life after death seemed like it would be right up my alley. But the movie didn't deliver the goods.

Hopefully the remake can, but I'm not holding my breath.

Likewise. The "Flatliners" concept caught my attention but it came up way short of delivering the goods. I remember watching it and thinking to myself, "Hell, I could do better if given enough time and Hollywood resources."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.