AVS Forum banner

So... what is Nintendo up to with the 3DS?

25K views 303 replies 27 participants last post by  dragonyeuw 
#1 ·
Full Disclosure:

I have not purchased and have no intention of buying a 3DS. I think the games library is too small, the current design is pretty 'meh', battery life is fair at best, and the price is still $50 too high.

Reports are that sales have been soft at best; I don't know anyone (personally, not including AVS'ers) that bought one, and stores here all have plenty of them on the shelf. Heck, even we AVS Nintendorks are pretty quiet on the board...which is unusual for a new console that had us so hyped initially. Even the near 'messiah' level launch of OoT hasn't driven sales like predicted. Now we've got price-drops and sales?

3DS $214 USD shipped until 11am EST today:
http://deals.ebay.com/5000044643_Nin...37153588756583

WalMart Canada has 3DS "Rollback" to $198CAN starting next week:

Amazon has buy-one-get-one-free on games:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...0ARHSEZ9CBT3AA

And coupe all that with the reports of hinge problems, the screens scratching when closed, the lack of game releases any time soon... and basically I'm not sure what the heck Ninty has left in their magic hat. I'd almost venture to say they're stumped, confused, bamboozled... which is mind boggling, they should be rocking sales and sold out everywhere, right?

Right?

-vdz

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo
In other 3DS observations, I got three Mii Streepass tags the other day...though for two of them I totally cheated by going to Nintendo World at Rock Center. Though it was pretty awesome when I was sitting on the subway the other day playing Find Mii, and got a new tag notification right as the train pulled away. It was a black guy with dreads and glasses named Tim, and I started nonchalantly looking around my subway car trying to spot my new Mii's creator.

The Ladies Man???

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/20823713

In other 3DS observations, I got three Mii Streepass tags the other day...though for two of them I totally cheated by going to Nintendo World at Rock Center. Though it was pretty awesome when I was sitting on the subway the other day playing Find Mii, and got a new tag notification right as the train pulled away. It was a black guy with dreads and glasses named Tim, and I started nonchalantly looking around my subway car trying to spot my new Mii's creator.

Yeah, I've gotten about 22 different people since I got mine at Launch. I only knew three of them personally. It's pretty cool when it happens and you suddenly find you've had a Street Fighter IV battle or have someone to help you in Find Mii (though I now have all the hats, so done with it). I'm hoping more games adopt uses for the playcoins, since I earn plenty of 'em. So far, only SFIV has actually incorporated them in a game, that I've seen.

#54 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen
The Ladies Man???

"Take it easy, baby....Courvoisier don't grow on trees"

#55 ·
For Streetpass to work all you have to do is close your system, right? Regardless of what game/program you had running when you closed it? I kinda wish it could still do Streetpass even when you were playing something. I find myself in the odd situation of not wanting to play Shadow Wars on the subway because I don't want to miss a potential Mii-trading opportunity.

#56 ·
According to Joystiq, 3DS hardware sales in Japan are up over 4000% in the first week of the price drop. Who knows if they can keep it up, but that seems like a pretty healthy start. I wonder what US figures will look like.

This is purely anecdotal of course, but I've seen several people playing 3DS's in public in the short time since the price drop, whereas pre-drop I saw a grand total of ONE. In the past five days I've even got a few Streetpass Miis without even taking the system out of my apartment.

#57 ·
I'd bet a lot of fence-sitters have found a reason to get one. And for $80 less with Ocarina out, Star Fox in two weeks and other games due in a couple of months...it's a more compelling sale.

4000% may be a mark of how BAD the market was...or it could be a mark of good sales. Probably a little of both.

#60 ·
so are there multiplayer games other than street fighter and doa?

#63 ·
FYI, the 3DS Ambassador NES games are available a day early.

...Trying to get them just reminds me how annoying the eShop is.

I'm okay with it being hidden under settings>your Downloads>Redownload, because clearly they didn't originally plan for this.

But you need to download each one, one at a time, and after it finishes each one, it sends you back to the main shop menu.

#64 ·
Yeah, it's really a weak way to do it. But it's probably much faster than forcing everyone to buy them individually and a lot less of a burden on their servers.

Honestly, I'm just impressed that, for once, a company delivered early instead of late on this kind of bonus.

#66 ·
Got my 10 free games. It wasn't the most streamlined of processes, but it really wasn't that bad, especially considering, y'know, free. At the same time you can't help but think that aaaaaaany other company would've come up with a smoother way to do this.

Anyway as expected I played each game for like five minutes then went right back to Link's Awakening. It was fun reliving a truth I first learned when I was eight years old though, that being, that Ice Climbers suuuuuuucks.

#68 ·
Welllll, I think we've got an answer:

Q: So... what is Nintendo up to with the 3DS?

A: They have absolutely no idea

It's official, the 3DS is renamed to "Nintendo WTF"

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/07/3ds_stuff_in_famitsu/ /forum/post/0

Officially the cradle adds:

- A right analog slide-pad

- R1, R2, L2 shoulder buttons (the normal 3DS L1 button is not replaced)

- An earphone port at the bottom

Unannounced, but speculated based on CE Marks on the inside of the cradle:

- The cradle could be a battery pack or have a container for the battery

- The cradle also has wireless functions, possibly replacing those on the 3DS

Mock up

So basically this is Nintendo showing that they rushed the launch.

Stolen from alr1ghtstart over at Neogaf, but damn appropriate at this point.

[EDIT]

Confirmed over at IGN :

Looks a lot like the nerf armor for DS

{someone let me know if we're not supposed to post images from magazines, I'll cut the img}

#69 ·
Wow. Ugggggggleeeee. Kinda don't see why the 3DS needs a second analog pad. Supposedly this is mostly for Monster Hunter though, which is pretty goddamn huge in Japan, so in that sense it's not too surprising they'd release a peripheral for it. Sort of expecting/hoping it goes mostly ignored otherwise, like oh, every other Nintendo peripheral.

#72 ·

prove me wrong

and US isnt getting monster hunter tri anyway

#74 ·
The attachment is for the new Monster Hunter game, it doesn't mean they are altering all future 3DS' or anything.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20923759

The attachment is for the new Monster Hunter game, it doesn't mean they are altering all future 3DS' or anything.

Rumor has it Kid Icarus could use this as well, at least as an optional attachment, ala classic controller for Wii.

Good eyes, Moo... considering the source I assume it's true, but odd they'd let that get into print...

#76 ·
So Nintendo had their conference today.

Highlights off the top of my head:

-official dates for Super Mario 3D Land (11/13) and Mario Kart 7 (12/4)

-Mario Tennis 3D & Fire Emblem announced

-Monster Hunter, Dynasty Wars, Culdcept, Kingdom Hearts

-system update that supports 3D video recording and a revamped store

-Circle pad Add-on is definitely real, it will be used with many other games (like Resident Evil and Metal Gear). Will cost about $15 and needs 1 AAA battery.

My thoughts: definitely more Japanese focused, but the official dates for SM3DL and MK7 are welcome. As is Mario Tennis and Fire Emblem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.