AVS Forum banner
563K views 4K replies 624 participants last post by  Nobre40 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread for all owners of the Denon AVR-2808CI A/V receiver to post your impressions, useful information and a issues/resolutions for this unit. Mine will be arriving this week, and I'm sure there are others who will be receiving theirs soon or already have them up and running!

Here are some basic specs for anyone interested in purchasing one:

AVR-2808CI 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver with Network Client Compatible D-dock Port
Quote:
The AVR-2808CI has been fortified with the latest A/V upgrades positioning itself to become one of the most popular audio video receivers in the industry, continuing on in its predecessor's footsteps. The AVR-2808CI now has HDMI v1.3a which brings with it the new surround formats for HD decoding allowing for ultimate surround performance for the best in home theater experience. Updated Audyssey audio processing has been added to provide improved auto calibration results for smooth sound reproduction. The well acclaimed Faroudja FLi2310 has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p resolution. Serial IR ports along with the RS-232C system control port provides ease of integration for complex home audio installations with 3rd party controllers. Couple this with the new EL remote and you have an A/V receiver sure to be a best seller.

* 110 watts x 7 channels

* Analog Video to HDMI Scaling - 1080p

* Rear Panel RS-232C

* XM ready tuning

* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio

* New DDSC-HD processing

* Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports with Deep Color and xvYCC Support

* Digital to Analog conversion for multi-zone connection flexibility

* Assignable +12V D.C. triggers

* Comes with dual remotes

* 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI remote

So, what do you think? How does this unit perform?

See less See more
#3,467 ·
Hi, I have a 2808. I watch bluray downloads from my PC. My problem is that when i play a dts-hd file via HDMI the display on the reciever lights up and all is FINE however, in case of True-HD the reviever goes into mutli channel mode and al24 lights up. I am not sure what to do to get the true-hd function working.

#3,469 ·
I just bought this receiver and I'm really really happy... more dynamics than any other I had before (Nad T773, Cambridge audio 540v3, Denon Avr2802...)

Im using my PC as a source via Toslink and everything is perfect for the movies but for the music I can't make it work in Stereo/Direct mode or even Pure mode... What could be the problem???

#3,470 ·
please define "can't make it work". We aren't mind readers, try to explain clearly what you have tried, what is happening, etc. Is the receiver reporting an input signal? Does it work correctly in multichannel modes (e.g. Multich stereo or Pro Logic II)? The more info you give the easier it will be for us to help you.

#3,471 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/20885728

please define "can't make it work". We aren't mind readers, try to explain clearly what you have tried, what is happening, etc. Is the receiver reporting an input signal? Does it work correctly in multichannel modes (e.g. Multich stereo or Pro Logic II)? The more info you give the easier it will be for us to help you.

Sorry english isn't my main language.

It's working in every mode (Multi stereo, Prologic, DTS...) everything but the stereo/direct and Pure mode. On the display it says : FR FL, PCM DIG, AL24, Main (A or B)... but no sound! It seems to detect a signal since it's displaying PCM. I switch back to Standard, Multi, etc, start working right away.

#3,473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenurse /forum/post/0

Sorry english isn't my main language.

It's working in every mode (Multi stereo, Prologic, DTS...) everything but the stereo/direct and Pure mode. On the display it says : FR FL, PCM DIG, AL24, Main (A or B)... but no sound! It seems to detect a signal since it's displaying PCM. I switch back to Standard, Multi, etc, start working right away.

Is amp assign set to 2CH?

#3,476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenurse /forum/post/20891531

yes... but does it change a thing?

Yes. It routes stereo audio to the speakers connected to the Surr Back/Amp Assign posts and if there are none connected there, then no audio. Resetting the microprocessor returned Amp Assign to it's factory default setting of Zone 2.

Now you just need to run AUTO SETUP again.

#3,477 ·
Anyone get Star Wars on BD and if so, have you been following this thread about the audio issues with the disc and some Denon recievers, including the 2808?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361400

I have all the audio dropout issues mentioned in that thread, is anyone else experiencing them on there 2808? Boylan13 made and interesting post today about the response he received from Denon on the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/20986515

Denon was able to reproduce the problem and identified it as one that has already been fixed (seen on "The Golden Compass" Blu-ray... also DTS-HD MA 6.1). So much for this being related to THX Media Director... The good news is that if you have a network-connected Denon receiver, an update to the latest firmware should do the trick.

The bad news is that those without a network connection on their receiver will need to send it in or bring it in to a local service center for the update. They suggested calling Denon support to open a ticket and arrange to have it shipped to a service center for the update. They briefly considered developing a fix that could be delivered via RS232C from a PC (for those receivers that include an RS232 port), but nixed the idea as it was too risky (could brick the receiver).

-CB

Problem is, thanks to smoothie, I installed the Golden Compass update almost 2 years ago and I still have the audio problems with Star Wars. I'm just wondering if anyone here has better connections to someone at Denon that may be able to help get to the bottom of this issue.

#3,478 ·
Denon has resolved the Star Wars: The Complete Saga BD audio dropout issue with a firmware update. Although the firmware update will be made available at authorized repair facilities for all models as an "in warranty" repair, regardless of whether actually beyond the 2 year warranty period, DenonJeff will be providing the update to me in the next week so for those 2808CI/988 owners that feel comfortable doing their own installation which will require a PC laptop and USB to RS-232 cable. Note that this update is being provided as a courtesy and as such is not supported by Denon should you have any problems with the installation (ie. you cannot call Denon for assistance). If you don't feel comfortable with doing the installation on your own, simply submit it to an authorized repair facility that is able to do the update for you, or the work around is to simply set the Blu Ray player to LPCM, or otherwise "not" bitstream. Please PM me with your model # and email address to receive the firmware update and instructions to install the update. For more information on firmware installation (in general), refer to post #2013 in the 2310CI thread.

#3,479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/20987713

Problem is, thanks to smoothie, I installed the Golden Compass update almost 2 years ago and I still have the audio problems with Star Wars. I'm just wondering if anyone here has better connections to someone at Denon that may be able to help get to the bottom of this issue.

The "Golden Compass" reference by Chris was only meant to say that a similar issue with that disc was resolved with a firmware update, not that it would also resolve the Star Wars issue as well. Please refer to my post above.

#3,480 ·
Hello,

Sorry for the post here, but this is the only active thread for Denons. I had in a box for two years a Denon 687 that I just hooked up. It was a refurb I bought online. After just 5 months of limited usage, the power on blinks to shut itself off right away. I have disconnected all the speaker wires one by one, and still blinks, inputs are all out now too. Nothing. Now out of my extended warranty by a month, timing is everything. Any recommendations? Anything I can check or do? I saw something about a microprocessor reset or something? May not apply to a unit this old. I spent $150 bucks to buy, throw it out if there is nothing I can check to fix? Seems to me reading a whole bunch of posts, the reliability of Denons is questionable? Also, my new budget is $250 bucks...does that rule out Denon and push me to say Onkyo? They seem to be the competing AVR with lots of recos. The 7.1 feature for two more speakers or two stereo's I would probably never use. Just came with it and at the time seemed like a steal.

#3,481 ·
^^

There's likely over a dozen active Denon model threads going back almost 4 years. Sounds like amp failure if you have no speakers connected and it still shuts down. The microprocessor reset procedure should be listed in the table of contents of your Owner's manual ... near the back of the manual which is always worth doing before throwing in the towel. You might also want to pop the top and see if there are any blown fuses you can replace. If the decision is to replace it, your best bet on a limited budget, if you have Best Buy stores nearby, is to try to grab one of last year's lower level XX11/X91 models that have been on clearance now for a few months which should be within your budget.

#3,482 ·
i'm using a 2808ci but i use two separate amps, a 2ch. and a 3ch. none of the denon's amps are active.i was told that the equalizer in the denon has no effect on the sound because i use separate amps. is this true? i never noticed much difference when i changed eq settings before i bought the amps either.

#3,484 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21152497

^^

No it's not true. Audyssey MultEQ XT still works with external amps; however, you must rerun AUTO SETUP again if you haven't already done so since adding them.

what if i don't use auto setup? i just want to make manual adjustments. i don't get the audyssey thing i didn't hear any difference when i did it.

#3,486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21152509

You may have done it incorrectly then as you should have noticed some difference from no EQ at all. Suggest you review the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig and run it again. Regardless, if you are using the manual EQ, it would still apply to the external amps.

i've read the guide carefully i used a tripod in several locations but nothing changed.i'll try again but i'd rather make manual adjustments with the eq. why don't i have the control i used to have with the old slider type equalizers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.