AVS Forum banner

The Three 1280x800 LED Clones

66K views 428 replies 58 participants last post by  DLPProjectorfan 
#1 ·
It appears that coming August/September we'll be able to get three clones of the same native 1280x800 "Pico" LED projector spec'ed at 500 lumens : the Optoma ML-500, the Viewsonic PLED-W500 and the Acer K330.

From the pictures i've seen, the Optoma and the Viewsonic have the same inputs/outputs - detachable AC power cord, HDMI, USB, Mini USB, VGA, Composite Video, S-Video, A/V IN, Audio Out - with the control buttons located on top of case to its left (as seen from behind) and offering different designs; Aesthetically speaking, i thought the design of the control buttons on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 looked better than the "diagonal" look of the same set of controls on the Optoma ML-500 and both cases look shiny black.

On the lookalike Acer K330 the S-Video Input has been taken away and the same set of controls described above has been moved toward the center rear of the case (as seen from behind), displaying a smaller rectangular design look of "silver-metal buttons control station" completely surrounded by combination of glossy/flat black case, giving it a much nicer look, i thought.

Interesting enough, Acer claims a contrast ratio of 5.000:1 while the other two manufacturers state 2.000:1 for their products, so i think that's hyperbole from Acer.

The Optoma msrp is $700 while the Viewsonic and Acer appear to be $650.

The Acer is supposed to be available in August and the other two in September.

See less See more
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb /forum/post/20898454

Are those 38dB of the ML500 in Brigth or Eco mode? becasue the Acer in Bright mode is 35 dB.

To me difference between 35db and 38 is still noticeable

however i have not seen anywhere Optoma ml500 being listed with ECO MODE with lower DB anywhere at all

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ML500.htm

If you look at other optoma projectors many of them got an Eco mode
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...Time_GT360.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 /forum/post/20898516

It looks like the difference between the Acer and the NEC is pretty marginal as far as picture is concerned. If that's the case, I won't bother waiting and paying the extra and I will proceed with the Acer. I think the unit looks better as well so far.
Don't like the business look of the NEC.

Things I'm looking out for and are deal breakers with the Acer, is the noise factor and if there's any start up focus issues ala Qumi.

It does look that Acer is making their projector toward home theater setup friendly , if you look at ml500 here http://www.amazon.com/Optomas-ML500-...4994052&sr=8-1

They list that it's not for gaming or home setup focused like their other projectors but more toward Business presentations.

Acer was suppose to be the first to release their 500lumens projector but don't know what happend, its MSRP too is only 650$ vs optoma ml500 with 699$ msrp.

#254 ·
That variance of 10dB between these clones is a little suspect considering these four pjs have essentially the same innards, which begs the question : are these manufacturers measuring fan noise using the same distance from port to microphone ? I doubt it, and from my experience that makes a huge difference; Moving the microphone even a few inches away drops measurement levels considerably, so who are we to know if the ACER K330 was measured 20" away from port versus 12" for the Optoma ML500 ?

On the other hand if these pjs do use the exact same internal components layout, why is there such a difference in the way hot air is exhausted ? According to these tests the Viewsonic's hottest port is the one next to the lens while on the NEC the hottest port is the one located on the left side of the case.

#255 ·
I guess in a day or so a lot of fundamental questions will be answered, and more, when blee0120 get his hands on the Optoma.

Fingers crossed on the noise issue and the start up focus issue and whatever else.
Hopefully these pjs would meet and exceed our expectations!

#256 ·
I have to say regarding noise, its a personal preference but when I owned LG HX300g which is rated 23db/29db/35db I found 35db setting too noisy for regular use. So to me it’s a deal breaker with these new LED pj. I would much rather get Casio aj and run it on Eco mode.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley /forum/post/20898616

So is the Acer only available in white? The black prototype(?) looked nicer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as i know the ACER K330 will be available in the USA in the two colors shown, white/silver edges and flat black/glossy black trim.

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/20899544

That variance of 10dB between these clones is a little suspect considering these four pjs have essentially the same innards, which begs the question : are these manufacturers measuring fan noise using the same distance from port to microphone ? I doubt it, and from my experience that makes a huge difference; Moving the microphone even a few inches away drops measurement levels considerably, so who are we to know if the ACER K330 was measured 20" away from port versus 12" for the Optoma ML500 ?

On the other hand if these pjs do use the exact same internal components layout, why is there such a difference in the way hot air is exhausted ? According to these tests the Viewsonic's hottest port is the one next to the lens while on the NEC the hottest port is the one located on the left side of the case.

The Acer's case is actually taller than the viewsonics.

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 /forum/post/20899821

I guess in a day or so a lot of fundamental questions will be answered, and more, when blee0120 get his hands on the Optoma.

Fingers crossed on the noise issue and the start up focus issue and whatever else.
Hopefully these pjs would meet and exceed our expectations!

also curious if focus is more stable than on my QUMI once it warms up. I generally focus on cold boot and once again 15 mins later, then i'm good for as long as I use it for that session. This really doesn't bother me since I don't have it mounted, just stick it on a shelf or table.

My Acer 5360 shifts during cold -> warm and have to adjust it at least once. others I know said they didn't have the problem, so maybe it's just my projector.

looking forward to hearing Blee's comments, I'll grab the Optoma this week if comments are positive.

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/0

also curious if focus is more stable than on my QUMI once it warms up. I generally focus on cold boot and once again 15 mins later, then i'm good for as long as I use it for that session. This really doesn't bother me since I don't have it mounted, just stick it on a shelf or table.

My Acer 5360 shifts during cold -> warm and have to adjust it at least once. others I know said they didn't have the problem, so maybe it's just my projector.

looking forward to hearing Blee's comments, I'll grab the Optoma this week if comments are positive.

I'll be back hopefully by 2pm tomorrow. At least my seeing a lot of cool 3D stuff at universal studios and Disney world with the family

#262 ·
blee0120 >>>So, besides the very audible fan noise issue you reported on the Optoma ML500 thread, have you noticed any other issues so far, specifically focus problems at start-up ? If you place your hand on the ML500 after it's been turned on for about one hour, how warm does it feel ? How noticeable is that diamond pattern pixel grid when displaying white fonts on black background during end credits of a movie ?

Thanks a bunch....

#263 ·
I read his first impressions review of the Optoma ML-500.

One quote that might get many people's notice " Watching G.I. Joe, didn't know 720p could look so good. It look better than my Marantz VP8600. I guess that's going up for sale " interesting indeed.

Macgo ? I never had a native 720 or 1080 P projector before, so if I do decide to get this projector it would be a whole new experience ? correct ?

#266 ·
For Y'all Information >>> ZOL.com has just reviewed the Optoma ML500 and i added the figures of the test report to the comparison chart located on page 4 of this thread; So, all four clones have been tested by the publication under the same test conditions which should give us a good means of comparison between these clones...

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/20916346

For Y'all Information >>> ZOL.com has just reviewed the Optoma ML500 and i added the figures of the test report to the comparison chart located on page 4 of this thread; So, all four clones have been tested by the publication under the same test conditions which should give us a good means of comparison between these clones...

Am I reading the chart right that the Acer is starting to look and look MOST awesome? :p

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/20916424

Am I reading the chart right that the Acer is starting to look and look MOST awesome? :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the ACER and the NEC seem to have an edge in contrast ratio and display stronger color saturation whereas the Viewsonic and the Optoma have measured lumen output that is closer to specs.

According to thermal figures the Viewsonic and Optoma have hottest exhaust air temperature on the port right next to the lens whereas on the NEC it is the port located on the left side of the case away from the lens, if that even matters considering that blee0120 reported that his Optoma feels cool to the touch after eight hours of continuous running.

The remote control for the Viewsonic appear to be different than the others and looks like it uses AAA batteries, again, if that matters.

Also, i appreciate the look of that sliding lens cover on the NEC, but i am not sure if it's worth a higher list price of $800.

I wonder why the test report on the ACER was pulled out from the website; Perhaps some enterprising PR rep from the company complained to ZOL.com that the measured test result for maximum lumen output put the product in a "bad light" vis a vis its specification of 500 lumens, which turned out to be considerably less, and ZOL.com decided not to offend/antagonize/displease ACER China, one of the largest manufacturer of computers, monitors, presentation pjs, accessories, etc, in the world ? Hmm...

#270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb /forum/post/20898217

MCaugusto,

Do you think it would be good to add to the Matrix the Fan Noise for both Dynamic and ECO modes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately ZOL.com did not publish noise figures and i think it would be meaningless to add the manufacturers' specs for fan noise considering each one uses different microphones, measuring distance, pj location, etc.

#271 ·
NEC NP-L50W

Supported Video Standards NTSC, NTSC4.43, PAL, PAL-60, PAL-M, PAL-N, SECAM

SD/HD Video Signal Compatibility 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i

PC Signal Compatibility SVGA, XGA, WXGA, WXGA+, SXGA, SXGA+, UXGA

Macintosh Compatibility Yes

Warranty 2-Year Limited Parts and Labor

Optoma ML500

Computer Compatibility UXGA, WXGA, SXGA+, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA Resized; VESA Standards; PC and Macintosh Compatible

Video Compatibility SDTV (480i), EDTV (480p), HDTV (720p, 1080i/p), NTSC/NTSC 4.43, PAL B/G/H/I/M/N 60, SECAM

Warranty 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor

Note: The NEC does not list 1080P signal compatibility?

#274 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0
Out of curiousity, being that these clones have no cms and little settings to adjust, is there any need to use a calibration disk on them?
You can to adjust brightness, contrast, and sharpness

#275 ·
After some careful consideration i had decided to get the ACER K330 as my "clone" of choice but after downloading its manual i noticed that in the projection ratio table the maximum distance given is 2.4 meters, which would provide an image only 80" diagonal ! What' up with that ? Could it be simply a matter of missing print material and the manual misses the fact that this pj can be used with screens bigger than that ?

If i remember correctly, the manual for the Optoma ML500 lists its maximum screen size as 150" diagonal, which i realize is unrealistic, but at least it doesn't stop at 80" diagonal.

One interesting feature of the ACER K330 is the option under "Settings" for "LED Calibration" which states > "press enter then wait for 10 seconds to finish the white color fine tune process. It helps to adjust LED color performance".

I could be wrong, but it appears that this control alllows the user to periodically re-balance the R/G/B colors to the manufacturer's original specs so that if any individual LED is degrading faster than the others and its color begin to shift, that can be compensated in software.

The Optoma ML500, on the other hand, has an option that allows the owner to keep track of LED usage in hours...

#276 ·
This is exciting, I look forward to hearing your reviews of the unit! Anyone have an idea of a release date for the Acer yet?

On the other hand, I sincerely hope that the upcoming 1080p chips (if they ever go around to making it) aren't also diagonal....cause I would be just...disappointed on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/20937840

After some careful consideration i had decided to get the ACER K330 as my "clone" of choice but after downloading its manual i noticed that in the projection ratio table the maximum distance given is 2.4 meters, which would provide an image only 80" diagonal ! What' up with that ? Could it be simply a matter of missing print material and the manual misses the fact that this pj can be used with screens bigger than that ?

If i remember correctly, the manual for the Optoma ML500 lists its maximum screen size as 150" diagonal, which i realize is unrealistic, but at least it doesn't stop at 80" diagonal.

One interesting feature of the ACER K330 is the option under "Settings" for "LED Calibration" which states > "press enter then wait for 10 seconds to finish the white color fine tune process. It helps to adjust LED color performance".

I could be wrong, but it appears that this control alllows the user to periodically re-balance the R/G/B colors to the manufacturer's original specs so that if any individual LED is degrading faster than the others and its color begin to shift, that can be compensated in software.

The Optoma ML500, on the other hand, has an option that allows the owner to keep track of LED usage in hours...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.