AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 806 participants last post by  SailorVenus 
#1 ·

Ok here are some snapshot pictures of my 70" ELITE! Sorry for the wait everyone please enjoy, I'll take more later but it's been a very long weekend for me. OH and for those of you still wondering, YES this ELITE is the Real thing! I was totally blow away with the picture quality and deep blacks! When I have more time I"ll write a review, but for now enjoy some quick snapshots.

See less See more
#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clamage /forum/post/20913277

The optimum height depends on the distance to your prime viewing position and the height and back angle of the seats as well.

My 70X5FD should be coming soon as well from VE. I also purchased a Salamander triple that is 24.5" high and a Synchromate stand that will float the tv 9" above the cabinet top to allow the center channel to be on top of the cabinet too. So for my application the center of the tv screen will be ~53" off the ground. I did a mock up and wife tested the setup before ordering.

I hate to tell ya Jim, but that is WAY too high for a set of this size. I wouldn't have believed that either btw in 2005 when I was just buying my 70inch Qualia, but luckily made the right choice in the end by getting the lowest height Salamander (20inch). In your setup, you're talking 33.5 inches high for the very *bottom* of the set (24.5 + the 9 inch riser)...that's gonna stretch your necks out somethin fierce my friend. I sit exactly 13 feet from the screen when sitting on the main couch. If you're further away than that, then perhaps you won't have to crane your neck upward quite as much, but I can tell you, at 13 feet or less, the craning would be outrageous in the setup you describe. Unless you're viewing from a bar stool of course :) In that case, rock on! You're perfect then.

-Brian

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patipai /forum/post/20912990

looks great...thanks for the pics. Hey rad this will be my first set that uses the sharp menu system, from what you've seen how easy is it to use compared to a sony or samsung?....thanks

*I found it very easy to navigate and thought it was very intuitive. It's defiantly my new favorite menu system,*if you can navigate a Sony or Samsung with no problem then you should be fine it's just as easy.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20912997

Your pics are looking great. I can imagine this set only looks better in home vs store. I now how great it looks in store. But as with any set I've ever owned... It always looks way better in home. Although it will be a while before I get this baby home.

As you've said. I believe this set is the real deal. Try and watch I am legend on this set if you get a chance. I'd like to see what it can do!*

Again, congratulations on the set. Look forward to your user review.

*I can't emphasize enough how much these pictures don't do it justice. When you see this set in person be prepare to be jaw dropped, the wow and shock factor will linger on with you for a long time.*

PS: I'll try and get some screen shots from I am legend when it arrives from Netflix, I actually never saw the movie lol.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/20913017

No doubt Elite belongs to the elite PQ class. However, concern is about the reflections. Early evaluators were talking about Elite being dark room TV. Now voices are heard Elite is only slightly worse in this dept than e.g. Sony HX929.*

Critical question is thus: Is Elite suitable for daylight watching with windows on side/behind it? Now, after we have seen superb dark room pics, is it possible to get pics taken in daylight or at least with light on?

*I'll report more on the topic when I get more time logged onto my ELITE. All I can say at the moment is upon first my first impression I found the reflectiveness to be about the same or comparable to the Sony 929 or the Panasonic VT30. Again more on this topic when I've had more time with it. However this ELITE gets very Dark, Ink well dark! I'm having ELITE withdraws just talking about it, still in shock over it's beauty.

#23 ·
Congrats on getting the first Kuro Killer, Rad. When you have time can you take if off torch mode and get some pics in THX mode. Also, don't know if you have it in a theater room or not, but how does it look in a brightly lit room. I plan on watching a lot of football in a fairly bright living room when I eventually get my set.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 /forum/post/0

Kuro Killer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shouldn't we wait to see what mr D-Nice has to say about that claim? After he says it I will believe it. Maybe even Chad B as well. Its still an LCD

No. We shouldn't wait. Yes, its an lcd. Your point? Lcd tech has been pushing improvements for a while now. It's no surprise lcd tech has come as far as it has today. No one is forcing you to buy this set. Go buy a kuro if that's what you want.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore /forum/post/0

Congrats on getting the first Kuro Killer, Rad. When you have time can you take if off torch mode and get some pics in THX mode. Also, don't know if you have it in a theater room or not, but how does it look in a brightly lit room. I plan on watching a lot of football in a fairly bright living room when I eventually get my set.

Who's to say his pics are in torch mode? Also, you should not judge picture based on pictures. I don't care what you take it with. It should be looked at for that one reason only. To look at.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20914467

No. We shouldn't wait. Yes, its an lcd. Your point? Lcd tech has been pushing improvements for a while now. It's no surprise lcd tech has come as far as it has today. No one is forcing you to buy this set. Go buy a kuro if that's what you want.

OK. Wasn't aware that these were professionally measured reviews and not just AN OPINION. Don't want people running out to remortgage their homes for something that ISN'T what you say it was. If the set gets the reviews that the KURO's have gotten over the years Ill buy one myself. I don't care what technology it is! I don't own stock in any platform.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 /forum/post/20914422

Kuro Killer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shouldn't we wait to see what mr D-Nice has to say about that claim? After he says it I will believe it. Maybe even Chad B as well. Its still an LCD

From everything I have seen and read from peoples who opinions I respect, I am sold. Plus, I just love pissing off the KURO owners. For some of them, nothing will ever top their precious. When you add up the the superior picture quality, deeper blacks, superior viewing in daytime lighting conditions, lower power consumption, the 3D ability, the fact it is actually available and especially the 10 extra inches of the 70X5, I think it has earned the Kuro Killer nickname.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20914483

Who's to say his pics are in torch mode? Also, you should not judge picture based on pictures. I don't care what you take it with. It should be looked at for that one reason only. To look at.

Rad himself said on another forum that he took the pics right out of the box and will take some in movie mode (THX) and Elite pure mode tomorrow.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore /forum/post/20914585

From everything I have seen and read from peoples who opinions I respect, I am sold. Plus, I just love pissing off the KURO owners. For some of them, nothing will ever top their precious. When you add up the the superior picture quality, deeper blacks, superior viewing in daytime lighting conditions, lower power consumption, the 3D ability, the fact it is actually available and especially the 10 extra inches of the 70X5, I think it has earned the Kuro Killer nickname.

Fully agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore /forum/post/20914597

Rad himself said on another forum that he took the pics right out of the box and will take some in movie mode (THX) and Elite pure mode tomorrow.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Goes to show the pics will look even better lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 /forum/post/20914574

OK. Wasn't aware that these were professionally measured reviews and not just AN OPINION. Don't want people running out to remortgage their homes for something that ISN'T what you say it was. If the set gets the reviews that the KURO's have gotten over the years Ill buy one myself. I don't care what technology it is! I don't own stock in any platform.

Is that so....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 /forum/post/20914422

Could have fooled me.

#31 ·

Quote:

Why would we be pissed off? That we can finally (hopefully) buy a set that continues the reference PQ performance from.........2008? Your not making any sense.

Anyway. My bestbuy is getting the elite in this weekend. Im going to bring the display murderer harry potter ATHBP to see if the blacks hold up to my 151. My jaw dropped when i put that movie on for the first time on my kuro. Really, really dark blacks in that movie.

I won't be buying this set. I just wanny see how good the TV is and if it lives up to the hype.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/0

Why would we be pissed off? That we can finally (hopefully) buy a set that continues the reference PQ performance from.........2008? Your not making any sense.

Anyway. My bestbuy is getting the elite in this weekend. Im going to bring the display murderer harry potter ATHBP to see if the blacks hold up to my 151. My jaw dropped when i put that movie on for the first time on my kuro. Really, really dark blacks in that movie.

I won't be buying this set. I just wanny see how good the TV is and if it lives up to the hype.

You'd be surprised how many kuro owners its going to piss off. Main reason. It's an lcd. Not a plasma.

And yes. This tv as stated before isn't hype.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20914983

You'd be surprised how many kuro owners its going to piss off. Main reason. It's an lcd. Not a plasma.

And yes. This tv as stated before isn't hype.

I guess i can understand the problem with that. LCD tech has its problems but from what i've read about the elite so far those problems have been reduced. Still there though.

It really doesn't bother me that it might be an LCD thats beats the kuro. My first HDTV was a samsung LCD and i still have and watch it. Plasma PQ has spoiled me i'll say. Not gonna lie.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/0

I guess i can understand the problem with that. LCD tech has its problems but from what i've read about the elite so far those problems have been reduced. Still there though.

It really doesn't bother me that it might be an LCD thats beats the kuro. My first HDTV was a samsung LCD and i still have and watch it. Plasma PQ has spoiled me i'll say. Not gonna lie.

Agreed. Lcd does indeed still have problems. As does plasma. Both have gotten much much much better over the years. This elite set is more of a statement to show the improvements of lcd tech can be applied to sets today.

#35 ·

Quote:

... and especially the 10 extra inches of the 70X5, I think it has earned the Kuro Killer nickname.

Good point, and an under-appreciated fact. Projector owners will be the first to admit their systems don't equal a plasma in some aspects, but these shortcomings are more than made up for in size.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/20915239

Good point, and an under-appreciated fact. Projector owners will be the first to admit their systems don't equal a plasma in some aspects, but these shortcomings are more than made up for in size.

I like projector for one reason only. Size. It's freakin awesome playing Gears Of War on a 10FT screen. lol

#37 ·
Here are some more pictures, all of these were taken while in Movie (THX) picture mode. Also I'd like to add that the camera still does not do any real justice to what I'm actually seeing over here, anyway I hope you all enjoy.

#38 ·

#39 ·

#40 ·
Nice pics Radtech! Thanks man! Can't wait to get my hands on mine (should be later this week/early next), as Robert and team are calibrating it this week. Just picked up an Oppo95 and after deploying it tonight, I definitely bought the right bluray player...not to mention all the other stuff it does. Incredible machine IMO! Now, bring on the Elite70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Brian