AVS Forum banner

couple ?s on external HDD on 515

7K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  bigedusa 
#1 ·
couple ?s on external HDD on 515

I have been reading alot of infor. here mostly on non 515 machinces.

it confusses me the way the threads are all splite up

is there a complete external HDD install thread?

is the orginal 515 Hdd SATA? if yes a SATA adaptor is'nt required?

just the SATA cables?

STB

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly
Re-looking several times, I have a question. Is your cable hooked to "a" USB port. The new Western Digital portables use a hard drive that has this port instead of the standard sata port. What cable are you using? It looks like a sata to USB mini port. Is the new satap compatible with the mini USB port? I was hoping to remove the case and use it like an internal drive, but I need a cable that will hook up to these new drives.

Thanks,
The koutech cable I used has a 22 pin female sata and 13 pin male? esatap (Power over esata) ends. The 2.5" hdd enclosure has a small usb 2.0 port (not the larger typical type A ports) and a esatap port. The cable plugs into the esatap port. It won't fit the usb one. Esatap ports will accept the large usb plugs and esata plugs. If you follow this link and look under esata and esatap, you'll see the connections on the enclosure I'm using and the esatap plug.

gm2040

#28 ·
Hello GM2040 I have decided you'r setup is the best for me.

one less part to fail (docking station), smaller in size,

2.5 HDD more durable, less power cords.

?1. in post 14 the enclosure you link to is no loner available.

?2.the WD5000BUDT is also unavailable, maybe a 500GB HDD is

concidered small now?

any sugestions on 1 & 2 is appreciated.

?3. can you continue to use the orginal 3.5 HDD (even w/out

an enclosure w/ your wire)?

?4.where exactly did you drill the hole for securing the

adaptor w/ the zip tie?

I looked at the warrenty sticker on the back of case and

think if heated up I will be able to remove w/out ruining it.

Thanks

STB

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20901195

Hello GM2040 I have decided you'r setup is the best for me.

one less part to fail (docking station), smaller in size,

2.5 HDD more durable, less power cords.

?1. in post 14 the enclosure you link to is no loner available.

This Startech S2510PESAT enclosure will work too. I bought one to compare it to the other enclosure.

?2.the WD5000BUDT is also unavailable, maybe a 500GB HDD is

concidered small now?

If you put in a hdd that's larger than 500gb, it'll still only use 500gb of the hdd. This link has some recommendations for hdd's if you can't find the wd5000budt. I would stick with a 500gb hdd that is designed for video streaming.

any sugestions on 1 & 2 is appreciated.

?3. can you continue to use the orginal 3.5 HDD (even w/out

an enclosure w/ your wire)?

No, unless you get an adapter to change from esatap back to sata. I use my 3.5" hdd for backup on the pc.

?4.where exactly did you drill the hole for securing the

adaptor w/ the zip tie?

I drilled 2 holes into the metal hdd bracket. I placed the koutech cable (attached to the 515 connector) and rubber sheets where they were going to sit on the bracket inside the case, marked a hole on each side of the cable end, took out the metal bracket and drilled it.

I looked at the warrenty sticker on the back of case and

think if heated up I will be able to remove w/out ruining it.

I have no idea if that would work or not, but if you've had the 515 for a while without any problems, then go for it. Although, if it does work but you have to exchange the unit still under warranty, they'll see the holes drilled into the metal hdd bracket and the hole for the koutech cable coming out of the case. So I guess, don't waste your time trying to heat it up, just cut it...if you feel your 515 won't fail on you.

Thanks

STB

gm2040

#30 ·
#33 ·
so w/ you'r wire I can use either 3.5 or 2.5 AV25 WD5000BUDT externalized.

or just this 3.5 internal. curious about the 3.5 power requirements w/ you'r wire?

external would be much easier to swap HDD

? when you swap HDD do you just power down the 515 and wait for the HDD disc. to stop spinning?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=2hdxgw09o9hm

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20927407

so w/ you'r wire I can use either 3.5 or 2.5 AV25 WD5000BUDT externalized.

or just this 3.5 internal. curious about the 3.5 power requirements w/ you'r wire?

? when you swap HDD do you just power down the 515 and wait for the HDD disc. to stop spinning?

It is slightly possible to buy cables that extend out of the 515 to use the Hard Drive externally. It is not recomended that a drive just sit out in the open. Using the option of "changing" the internal sata (data) connector to an external sata connector just provides the data not the power. Most people have invested in a "docking" station that allows you to use any type of drive be it 2.5 or 3.5 in size. This station has it's own power supply.

Yes, when you are attempting to swap out drives, both units should be turned off and even unplugged from any power source. There may be docking stations that allow hot swapping, but that is a computer regulated concept and has nothing to do with a Magnivox 515 DVDR. You will need to power the external station on first and then the 515. But swapping out drives with power from the wall outlet in use is a sure way to "fry" internal power related components in your 515 and render it useless and also will not be covered under warranty, well Walmart may take it back.

#35 ·
QUOTE=stevethebrain;20927407: so w/ you'r wire I can use either 3.5 or 2.5 AV25 WD5000BUDT externalized.

The koutech sata-esatap cable connects to an esatap enclosure with an hdd inside. It doesn't connect directly to the hdd. Currently, there are no 3.5" esatap enclosures available. The only options are 2.5" hdd enclosures or a Shentek docking station that accepts 2.5" & 3.5" hdds. The cable itself supports 5Volts for 2.5" hdds and 12V for 3.5" hdds or optical drives.

Yes. There is a light on the hdd enclosure that will turn off.

gm2040

#36 ·
Hello GM2040

AV-25 WD5000BUDT HDD $59.00
http://www.allhdd.com/wd5000budt-wes...new-pull-.html

it maybe worth the extra $12.10 for the manufactorys warrenty instead of the above ALHDD 30 day warrenty

http://www.provantage.com/western-di...t~7WNDO07J.htm

I'm confussed on this enclosure's cable being eSATA w/ USB wondering how the USB is connected to the 515?

I observe the SATA & USB logo on the enclosure for a single connection so I'm assumming that this in fact is a dual cable, data travels on SATA 7pin protion and power travels on USB 22 pin protion. and the $17.00 adaptor allows for both data and power.

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosur...OTB~S2510PESAT

GM2040 do you rotate your HDD in a single enclosure, eliminating unplugging the SATA cable to enclosure?

how do you store unused HDDs I'm assumming in a antistatic bag and cardbroad box?

Thanks STB

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20933407

Hello GM2040

AV-25 WD5000BUDT HDD $59.00
http://www.allhdd.com/wd5000budt-wes...new-pull-.html

it maybe worth the extra $12.10 for the manufactorys warrenty instead of the above ALHDD 30 day warrenty

http://www.provantage.com/western-di...t~7WNDO07J.htm

I, personally, would buy the one with a manufacturer's warranty or find another brand of hard drive to use.

I'm confussed on this enclosure's cable being eSATA w/ USB wondering how the USB is connected to the 515?

I observe the SATA & USB logo on the enclosure for a single connection so I'm assumming that this in fact is a dual cable, data travels on SATA 7pin protion and power travels on USB 22 pin protion. and the $17.00 adaptor allows for both data and power.

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosur...OTB~S2510PESAT

ESATA/USB Combo is another name for Power over Esata (esatap). It's a single cable like the koutech one, not 2 separate cables like esata and usb. The koutech cable is connected to the 515 and on the other end to the eSATAp (or eSATA/USB combo) port on the hdd enclosure. The USB port on the enclosure is not used.

GM2040 do you rotate your HDD in a single enclosure, eliminating unplugging the SATA cable to enclosure?

how do you store unused HDDs I'm assumming in a antistatic bag and cardbroad box?
Each hard drive has its own enclosure. I never take them out. The enclosures ARE my storage.

gm2040

#38 ·
Hello GM2040 looks like the the Startech ESATAP enclosure is the only choice.

what enclosure are you using?

I see another ESATAP benefit compared to a dock station turning off w/ a remote control, DS will require physicaly pressing a button on the back of DS.

Thanks

STB

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20941312

Hello GM2040 looks like the the Startech ESATAP enclosure is the only choice.

what enclosure are you using?

I see another ESATAP benefit compared to a dock station turning off w/ a remote control, DS will require physicaly pressing a button on the back of DS.

Thanks

STB

I'm using the generic Delock enclosure ( HE-2521B ) from geeks.com or Amazon. I also have one of the startech enclosures.

gm2040

#40 ·
so you initaily purchased the startech enclosure to obtain the enclosure and the ESATAP cable?

then you purchase a lower cost Geek ESATA enclosure and continue to use the startech cable?

looks like the geeks cable is for interfacing ESATAP w/ a laptop w/ it's separated SATA & USB cable.

I'm not confussed w/ startech setup however I'm confussed w/ Geeks enclosure & the ESATA wire I don't see how you get power from the 515 since it has no USB connection?

Sorry to be such a PITA I want to be though and make a educated decision on my on my 515..

STB

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20944850

so you initaily purchased the startech enclosure to obtain the enclosure and the ESATAP cable?

then you purchase a lower cost Geek ESATA enclosure and continue to use the startech cable?

looks like the geeks cable is for interfacing ESATAP w/ a laptop w/ it's separated SATA & USB cable.

I'm not confussed w/ startech setup however I'm confussed w/ Geeks enclosure & the ESATA wire I don't see how you get power from the 515 since it has no USB connection?

Sorry to be such a PITA I want to be though and make a educated decision on my on my 515..

STB

The startech and generic delock enclosures have the same types of ports on them. The cables that come with either enclosure will NOT be used, only the koutech (eSATAp or Power over Esata) cable and an adapter. This is the order of connections starting inside the 515. The internal 515 22-pin female SATA connector (originally connected to the hdd) is attached to this 22-pin male-to-male SATA adapter . This adapter is then connected to the 22-pin female SATA end of the koutech (eSATAp) cable . The other end of the koutech cable exits the 515 and connects to the the eSATAp (Power over eSATA) port of either enclosure. No other cables are needed and the USB ports are not used. The enclosure gets its power from the 515 through the eSATAp cable, hence the name "Power over eSATA." It's provides data and power like USB does. The enclosure will turn on and off with the 515.

gm2040

#42 ·
people w/ convensionale DS like this, I'm assumming they are forced to leave it turned on prior to a scheduled recording.

I'm also thinking anytime the DS is on it's wearing the HDD correct.

lastly these DS doe's the HDD just idel (reducing wear on disc) when no data (recording ) is being transfered?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20%26%20eSATA

Thanks STB

#43 ·
Thank you for posting how to do this. I was able to get everything but the 22 Pin Male - Male Serial ATA Data and Power Adapter. It seems only one person in the universe sells this. And of cause they have been out of stock for a while. Do you know of another company that sells this? A google search just brings up male to female adapters by the millions. Thanks, Ed.

#44 ·
One thing I didn't mention before is if you swap between different brands of hard drive enclosures. If I swap between my generic and Startech enclosures, I have to do a short recording by pressing the record button BEFORE I go to my title list of recorded shows. If i don't, the mag 515 freezes up and I have to unplug it.

gm2040

#45 ·
gm2040 Thank you so much to responding so quickly to an older post.

I am confuse a little bit now. In the post and link was for a male to male adapter. So, It's really a male to female adapter then. The koutech cable is being shipped to me. So, I can't know right now which adapter would be correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.