AVS Forum banner

Cleveland, OH - TWC

2M views 24K replies 620 participants last post by  Inundated 
#1 ·
Yesterday I finally put up a RS VU-90XR antenna on my single story (chimney mount). I live in N. Olmsted.

I used to have a satellite dish but when I canceled it I just unplugged the cable from the dish & re-routed it to the VU-90XR.

I can now pick up 3, 5, 8, 19, & 43 - all of them comes in around 50% on my Samsung SIR-T150.

The 50% all around makes me wonder. I do have a tree in the direction of where the UV-90XR is pointing but I'm wondering if I should be getting better than 50% on some/all channels?

TIA,

Robert

#23,002 ·
I have a pretty simple question but wanted to ask the experts. My brother just bought an Insignia 720p plasma that has a QAM tuner. He has the most basic (I think 18 channels) Time Warner cable hook up. He connected his cable directly to the set, hit auto scan but he is not seeing any of the local HD channels (3.1, 5.1 etc). When he enters 3.1 with his remote it goes to channel 4. So my question is should he be getting those channels even with the cheapest service or would TW be blocking those channels or something else. thanks for the help.

#23,003 ·
I'm going to ask: Did he assume they weren't there by the fact channel numbers 3.1, 5.1, etc.. didn't show up? It's very common for these channels to show up on random numbers like 151-2, 384-80, and other random locations. Would be worth scanning through what actually shows up digitally (XX-X channels) and see if they are there somewhere.

#23,004 ·
TWC also moves it's QAM channels from time to time. So if he tunes to a certain channel and it's no longer there, another scan may be necessary.

When I first got my TiVo S3 without cable cards essentially that created the same type of situation your brother has. I did like Vchat20 said but I distinctly remember that I couldn't locate FOX 8. I even asked for a current QAM list and was told what channel it was on yet I still couldn't tune it in.

I know from time to time some people have made listings in this Forum of current QAM channels. I think toby10 use to but to be honest everyone either has a DVR or uses a digital box these days.

If all else fails and toby10 doesn't see this post try sending him a pm and see what he can tell you.

#23,006 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 /forum/post/20937277

I'm going to ask: Did he assume they weren't there by the fact channel numbers 3.1, 5.1, etc.. didn't show up? It's very common for these channels to show up on random numbers like 151-2, 384-80, and other random locations. Would be worth scanning through what actually shows up digitally (XX-X channels) and see if they are there somewhere.

thanks for the replies and I will pass this info on.

#23,007 ·
okay, so I guess I still need some info. My brother returned the Insignia and bought an LG plasma that did specify having a built-in HD tuner. Now he has Time Warner basic service and again after doing an auto scan none of the local HD stations are showing up. So my question is can you NOT get the local HD stations with TW's basic service? Do you have to step up to the standard service in order to have them show up? I have two lcd's hooked up directly to the cable (it is the standard service) and both displays have HD tuners and the local HD stations show up on both. It's still confusing since another brother has a Sharp display that is hooked up to TW basic service and he gets the local HD stations on his after scanning. Of course when my brother called TW and asked about why he couldn't get the local channels a SR told him he had to get a box and the HD tier. I told him that was BS, that he should be able to get the locals as long as his display has the HD tuner. So if anyone can clear this up and can offer some more advice he is tying to enjoy some HD after years of putting off getting a new display. thanks.

#23,008 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/20940321

okay, so I guess I still need some info. My brother returned the Insignia and bought an LG plasma that did specify having a built-in HD tuner. Now he has Time Warner basic service and again after doing an auto scan none of the local HD stations are showing up. So my question is can you NOT get the local HD stations with TW's basic service? Do you have to step up to the standard service in order to have them show up? I have two lcd's hooked up directly to the cable (it is the standard service) and both displays have HD tuners and the local HD stations show up on both. It's still confusing since another brother has a Sharp display that is hooked up to TW basic service and he gets the local HD stations on his after scanning. Of course when my brother called TW and asked about why he couldn't get the local channels a SR told him he had to get a box and the HD tier. I told him that was BS, that he should be able to get the locals as long as his display has the HD tuner. So if anyone can clear this up and can offer some more advice he is tying to enjoy some HD after years of putting off getting a new display. thanks.

He lost a little in the translation of what the CSR said. CSR said he had to have digital service, not a HD tier. HD on TW is free. There is a separate digital tier with a few channels on it but the vast majority are free.

Now having said that to the best of my knowledge all you need to get the local HD channels was to have them clear in the QAM.

However I went a step further to get an answer. http://www.timewarnercable.com/neowp...t-in-digital-T

You see that confirms that you should be able to get it when it's clear in the QAM. The CSR probably said what they were told to say or have learned from their co-workers. If you were to ask them "What about clear in the QAM?" I'm pretty sure they wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Edit: One other thing. Don't expect TWC to consider this their issue. They definitely won't, it will be your brothers issue. If he does get someone to understand what he's talking about they will say sorry, we can't help him with his television tuner.

#23,010 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill /forum/post/20940730

He lost a little in the translation of what the CSR said. CSR said he had to have digital service, not a HD tier. HD on TW is free. There is a separate digital tier with a few channels on it but the vast majority are free.

Now having said that to the best of my knowledge all you need to get the local HD channels was to have them clear in the QAM.

However I went a step further to get an answer. http://www.timewarnercable.com/neowp...t-in-digital-T

You see that confirms that you should be able to get it when it's clear in the QAM. The CSR probably said what they were told to say or have learned from their co-workers. If you were to ask them "What about clear in the QAM?" I'm pretty sure they wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Edit: One other thing. Don't expect TWC to consider this their issue. They definitely won't, it will be your brothers issue. If he does get someone to understand what he's talking about they will say sorry, we can't help him with his television tuner.

thanks so much for clearing this up. I'll send him your info and hopefully it will help.

#23,011 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/20937214

I have a pretty simple question but wanted to ask the experts. My brother just bought an Insignia 720p plasma that has a QAM tuner. He has the most basic (I think 18 channels) Time Warner cable hook up. He connected his cable directly to the set, hit auto scan but he is not seeing any of the local HD channels (3.1, 5.1 etc). When he enters 3.1 with his remote it goes to channel 4. So my question is should he be getting those channels even with the cheapest service or would TW be blocking those channels or something else. thanks for the help.

Some TVs have separate modes for scanning either OTA channels (ATSC/8VSB format) or Cable (QAM format). Make sure his set isn't configured to look for "antenna" channels only.

#23,012 ·
Cable CSR's have little (if any) training for QAM service so you will almost always get goofy or inaccurate info from them.

As Cathode suggests make sure he is properly selecting the correct input and settings for QAM.

Is he getting anything on these scans like the shopping & public access ch's? Or he is getting everything except the local HD's?

#23,013 ·
IIRC with a digital tuner available you should also be able to receive the music channels. So that's something else to look for. Now I"m not saying Paladia or VH! HD, just the digitial music channels that cable provides.

#23,014 ·
Just an update on this weird situation. My brother still can't get the local HD stations even after scanning on cable or antenna or whatever other setting is on the 42" 720p Insignia plasma. We confirmed that his new display has all three tuners but after scanning and going to channel list he is only showing 22 channels (when he scans set to cable he says it goes to 120 or so). So no matter what he does only those channels are showing up after a scan. I don

't know if this matters but he has been on TW old $8 a month plan for their most basic cable plan for a very long time so could that be the problem? Would they not include the clear channels for that plan or have a filter placed on his line. Anyway, it's all a bit strange to the point that I even suggested since he only wants those 12 or so channels to just get an antenna since FoolTV indicates he can get all those easily with one. So the beat goes on. thanks again.

#23,015 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/20945411

Just an update on this weird situation. My brother still can't get the local HD stations even after scanning on cable or antenna or whatever other setting is on the 42" 720p Insignia plasma. We confirmed that his new display has all three tuners but after scanning and going to channel list he is only showing 22 channels (when he scans set to cable he says it goes to 120 or so). So no matter what he does only those channels are showing up after a scan. I don

't know if this matters but he has been on TW old $8 a month plan for their most basic cable plan for a very long time so could that be the problem? Would they not include the clear channels for that plan or have a filter placed on his line. Anyway, it's all a bit strange to the point that I even suggested since he only wants those 12 or so channels to just get an antenna since FoolTV indicates he can get all those easily with one. So the beat goes on. thanks again.

You likely have the upper frequencies trapped out if you only have lifeline basic, so this would explain the behavior. Regular basic and above would not have this issue. Your options would be to move to upgrade to a higher tier or use an antenna for the OTA HDs. If you're on the SW side of Cleveland you could probably get by with an indoor antenna .

#23,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid /forum/post/20946007

You likely have the upper frequencies trapped out if you only have lifeline basic, so this would explain the behavior. Regular basic and above would not have this issue. Your options would be to move to upgrade to a higher tier or use an antenna for the OTA HDs. If you're on the SW side of Cleveland you could probably get by with an indoor antenna .

thanks for the update. I don't think he wants to upgrade his cable so maybe he'll opt for the antenna. I just feel bad for him since he finally broke down and got the new display only to have this happen after I told him he could at least have local HD with a new set, not realizing this was a possible scenario.

#23,017 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/20946409

thanks for the update. I don't think he wants to upgrade his cable so maybe he'll opt for the antenna. I just feel bad for him since he finally broke down and got the new display only to have this happen after I told him he could at least have local HD with a new set, not realizing this was a possible scenario.

It really depends on where he is at in regards to several thing as to whether or not he's going to get a good signal.

Where I live I could only get about 5 channels via antenna. Now granted, I didn't have a good high quality antenna and it was an indoor antenna. But some of the channels, like FOX 8 still broadcast on VHF. Digital signals do not carry well on VHF.

Most of us are familiar with antennaweb.org and they do the best they can but as I said it sort of depends where you live. I'm about 40 minutes from Cleveland and I can't get squat, but someone in Akron probably can.

He's entitled to free HD television if he can receive it. If that doesn't work though he will have to get basic cable, not life line. If he does get a good signal he will be quite pleased I'm sure.

Now I'm not throwing you out of here, I'm just letting you know that if you need more assistance in regards to antennas and such there is another Cleveland forum on OTA that split off of this one. Good people over there, they will be more then willing to help you. Good luck.

#23,018 ·
I second the idea of just getting a good antenna for the HD locals, picture quality will often be better than on cable anyway.

I'm in SW Cleveland (Strongsville, almost into Columbia Station) and I use a very discreet outdoor antenna to pick up all Cleveland HD locals.

Poster Coldwar just posted a pic of his Winegard MS 2000 amplified omnidirectional saucer antenna (same one I use) in the Cleveland OTA forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...139546&page=73

#23,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/20946409

Has he tried to punch in the HD channels directly? 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, etc. Just wondering.

Ben Music

#23,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music /forum/post/20948020

Has he tried to punch in the HD channels directly? 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, etc. Just wondering.

Ben Music

Already been asked and answered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.