AVS Forum banner
544K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  damelon 
#1 · (Edited)
Black/Red Theater (Yes it was named something else before)
Construction by BIGmouthinDC and Damelon (Construction Time: 7/26/11 - Mid November 2011)
Inspiration from Sandman's/SMX Theater - Acoustical Plans by Bryan Pape (BPape)

Room Details (Trying to make this a table!)
Initial Space : 23’6”L x 16’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Construction : Room in a Room. Second wall with 1” gap.
Space after Secondary Wall : 22’8”L x 15’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Decoupling Method : RISC-DC04 Clips
Ceiling Decoupling Method : Clip & Channel
Drywall Method : 2 Layers of 5/8” Drywall with Green Glue
Door : 28” Wide, 1 ¾” Thick solid core door.
Soffit Size : 16” Wide x 10” Tall
Column Info : 6 Columns, 16” Wide x 10” Deep
Screen Size : 130” Wide (149" diag) SeymourAV Centerstage XD with horizontal masking panels
Stage Specs : 2x10s, Sand Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Riser Specs : 2x12s, Insulation Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Front Wall Treatment : 2” 3lb Dense Cotton – OC703 Corner Bass Traps
Side Wall Treatments : 1” 3lb Dense Cotton
Rear Wall Treatments : 2” OC703 with Paper Face + 2” air gap
Fabric Colors : GOM Black and GOM Claret Accent.
Paint Color : Behr (Home Depot) Antique Ruby (To Match Fabric)
Viewing Distances : 12’ Front Row, 18’ Rear Row (Approx)
Projector : JVC RS540 E-Shift 4K
Speakers : 3x Axiom M80 L/C/R, 4x Axiom QS8 Surrounds
Subwoofers : 2x Seaton Submersive HP+ (Master & Slave)
Amp : Sunfire TGA7400
Preamp : Denon X4500H (Previously Onkyo PR-SC5508)
HTPC : 50TB Unraid NAS & HTPC using Kodi with RTX2060
Carpet : Stainmaster "Silver Lake" (Lowes)

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE VIEWED IN THE ALBUM LINK BELOW.
BR Theater Build Album

Link to my complete cost breakdown of the theater, along with several links of where I acquired products
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21138019

Original Acoustical Plan design (See above for treatment variance on side/rear walls)
Acoustical Plan

Original Completed Photos - Theater (Scope Screen)

Theater Screen Conversion (to 16:9) & Star Ceiling Addition - 2015

Pool Information:
Size : (31,000 Gallons) about 42 feet long and 16-20 feet wide depending on location.
Retaining Wall Stone is Sequoia Rustic Ledge from El Dorado Stone
Pool Automation Equipment - Jandy Aqualink
Pool Lights : Hayward Colorlogic
Pool Pumps : Jandy
Pool Heater : Raypak 400k BTU Propane 

Beginning of Patio Project - End Phase 1 - Spring 2013 (Under-Deck, Bar/Grill, and Hot Tub Area)

End of Patio Project - Summer 2016
WINNER : 1st place / Cast-in-Place, Stamped / Under 5,000 SF Category from American Society of Concrete Contractors 2016

Basement Bar Project. Completed July, 2014

See less See more
#212 ·
Using pipes for the front vertical members seems like a terrific idea. The round profile should minimize diffraction. Very innovative!

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/20943821

Instead of iron pipe, how about either metal conduit or chain link fence top rail. Both are galvanized (cleaner than black pipe). Chain link rail is pretty darn stiff too.

OK, back from the big orange where I had 10 more 44 3/8 long pieces of black pipe cut.

I did some more looking around and conduit had too much give for my taste.

Galvanized pipe in an equal diameter ran $.50 more a foot.

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20944666

OK, back from the big orange where I had 10 more 44 3/8 long pieces of black pipe cut.

I'm jealous BIG. I'm here stuck at work all day when you are having all of the fun. Building movie room is so much more fun than my desk job :p

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20944666

Any risk of the pipe buzzing or rattling or humming or echoing or making any other noise from the speakers/subs?

Aside from that, sounds like a great idea, looks like it will look awesome, I may just have to "borrow" that idea as well...

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/20944961

Any risk of the pipe buzzing or rattling or humming or echoing or making any other noise from the speakers/subs?

Aside from that, sounds like a great idea, looks like it will look awesome, I may just have to "borrow" that idea as well...

There might be, but that is why we will fill them with sand. My knee-jerk reaction was the same.

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon /forum/post/20945121

There might be, but that is why we will fill them with sand. My knee-jerk reaction was the same.

Sand is a great idea. Should do the trick.

#223 · (Edited)
Quote:Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC

Please nobody use the B word in conjunction with filling the pipes or this thread will get flagged in some government office.

YES. From now on we will refer to them as metal supports. Thank you, come again.

-------------------------------------------

BIG's next post from below:

SPEAKER GRILL COVERS - PRODUCTION

Last night and this AM whipped up the covers.

First step was to cut the 96 pieces of MDF to length.

Then I made a little jib to make quick work of drilling out the corners for the metal support members, I did the prototype free hand, having a jig made it go faster.

Next was to glue and nail the two layers of frame tops and bottoms. Used a square to keep it square.

Almost done

Remaining steps: paint the metal support members, cut the back uprights, round over corners, assemble at Damelon's, Paint the wood and attach fabric.

#225 ·
Huh?
Is that kind of like not saying:

Hi Jack!

at the airport?

#226 ·
SPEAKER GRILL COVERS - PRODUCTION

Last night and this AM whipped up the covers.

First step was to cut the 96 pieces of MDF to length.

Then I made a little jib to make quick work of drilling out the corners for the metal support members, I did the prototype free hand, having a jig made it go faster.

Next was to glue and nail the two layers of frame tops and bottoms. Used a square to keep it square.

Almost done

Remaining steps: paint the metal support members, cut the back uprights, round over corners, assemble at Damelon's, Paint the wood and attach fabric.

#233 · (Edited)
Big's post from above:
Actually it is a 60+ year old Delta that my father had in his shop. Original motor.

All of the cotton arrived from Bryan Pape yesterday. I decided to clean up all of the "scrap crap" pieces of wood. Kept anything I deemed usable and threw away almost all of the extra drywall scraps as well. Now there is room for the chairs when they arrive.

The plexi-door arrived, as well as the vent registers and the black decora outlets & all of the black covers. I got the last 2 black dimmer conversion kits for the RF dimmers, so 2 of them will have to be white until the back-order comes in.

#230 ·
Gotta love that old cast iron stuff. Can't beat it.

I have an old Craftsman full size drill press from the late 60s.

From my father's workshop as well. It took three guys to move it, and they finally put it on a dolly.

#234 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon
Kept anything I deemed usable
In my shop that is my hardest problem. You never now what you might be able to use. Once a year I try take a pickup load to the dump Otherwise I can't move around.

#235 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
In my shop that is my hardest problem. You never now what you might be able to use. Once a year I try take a pickup load to the dump Otherwise I can't move around.
Haha, that sounds familiar. I have boxes of stuff that don't make any rational sense to hang onto - like piles of component cables - but I find it hard to part with stuff when its "still good", yet has almost no monetary value.

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20953759

I was just working on the columns and realized I actually used some scrap MDF I had laying around for some small parts. Probably 5+ years old.

What is funny is we saved a bunch of long MDF pieces, some larger square MDF pieces, and a bunch of 2x2s for possible column or panel pieces, yet BIG is pre-fabbing most of them at his house, so they are going un-used. Maybe we will be able to use some for the fabric panels, but at least they are out of the way for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.