AVS Forum banner
544K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  damelon 
#1 · (Edited)
Black/Red Theater (Yes it was named something else before)
Construction by BIGmouthinDC and Damelon (Construction Time: 7/26/11 - Mid November 2011)
Inspiration from Sandman's/SMX Theater - Acoustical Plans by Bryan Pape (BPape)

Room Details (Trying to make this a table!)
Initial Space : 23’6”L x 16’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Construction : Room in a Room. Second wall with 1” gap.
Space after Secondary Wall : 22’8”L x 15’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Decoupling Method : RISC-DC04 Clips
Ceiling Decoupling Method : Clip & Channel
Drywall Method : 2 Layers of 5/8” Drywall with Green Glue
Door : 28” Wide, 1 ¾” Thick solid core door.
Soffit Size : 16” Wide x 10” Tall
Column Info : 6 Columns, 16” Wide x 10” Deep
Screen Size : 130” Wide (149" diag) SeymourAV Centerstage XD with horizontal masking panels
Stage Specs : 2x10s, Sand Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Riser Specs : 2x12s, Insulation Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Front Wall Treatment : 2” 3lb Dense Cotton – OC703 Corner Bass Traps
Side Wall Treatments : 1” 3lb Dense Cotton
Rear Wall Treatments : 2” OC703 with Paper Face + 2” air gap
Fabric Colors : GOM Black and GOM Claret Accent.
Paint Color : Behr (Home Depot) Antique Ruby (To Match Fabric)
Viewing Distances : 12’ Front Row, 18’ Rear Row (Approx)
Projector : JVC RS540 E-Shift 4K
Speakers : 3x Axiom M80 L/C/R, 4x Axiom QS8 Surrounds
Subwoofers : 2x Seaton Submersive HP+ (Master & Slave)
Amp : Sunfire TGA7400
Preamp : Denon X4500H (Previously Onkyo PR-SC5508)
HTPC : 50TB Unraid NAS & HTPC using Kodi with RTX2060
Carpet : Stainmaster "Silver Lake" (Lowes)

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE VIEWED IN THE ALBUM LINK BELOW.
BR Theater Build Album

Link to my complete cost breakdown of the theater, along with several links of where I acquired products
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21138019

Original Acoustical Plan design (See above for treatment variance on side/rear walls)
Acoustical Plan

Original Completed Photos - Theater (Scope Screen)

Theater Screen Conversion (to 16:9) & Star Ceiling Addition - 2015

Pool Information:
Size : (31,000 Gallons) about 42 feet long and 16-20 feet wide depending on location.
Retaining Wall Stone is Sequoia Rustic Ledge from El Dorado Stone
Pool Automation Equipment - Jandy Aqualink
Pool Lights : Hayward Colorlogic
Pool Pumps : Jandy
Pool Heater : Raypak 400k BTU Propane 

Beginning of Patio Project - End Phase 1 - Spring 2013 (Under-Deck, Bar/Grill, and Hot Tub Area)

End of Patio Project - Summer 2016
WINNER : 1st place / Cast-in-Place, Stamped / Under 5,000 SF Category from American Society of Concrete Contractors 2016

Basement Bar Project. Completed July, 2014

See less See more
#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20953495

In my shop that is my hardest problem. You never now what you might be able to use. Once a year I try take a pickup load to the dump Otherwise I can't move around.

I'm finishing a project now where every piece of wood was left over from prior projects. It has made absolutely no visible difference in the amount of wood scraps piled in my shop. Maybe I need to build a bigger project.

#241 ·
Subscribed. Nice work on the soffits. How much space are you leaving above the light tray and the ceiling?

#243 ·
If we need to be exact I think the soffit is 10 inches tall (after the MDF shuffle), the bottom of the light tray is 3/4 thick and mounted to the bottom of the soffit. The face of the light tray is 6 inches tall mounted to the edge of the bottom, So the remaining gap is 4.75.

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20958096

If we need to be exact I think the soffit is 10 inches tall (after the MDF shuffle), the bottom of the light tray is 3/4 thick and mounted to the bottom of the soffit. The face of the light tray is 6 inches tall mounted to the edge of the bottom, So the remaining gap is 4.75.

BIG and I are getting very good at correcting each other's measurements. I just need to be better about pointing out the corrections before cuts are made. Sometimes I see them but I fail to speak. Then when I say something like "you cut that too short" right afterwords he gives me a long stare and chuckles in sadness.

He did a mock up of a column a while back and it was 16" wide. (Which is what I had told him at the time was what I wanted) After he made the mock-up, I told him "hey my pencil drawing on the wall says 18 inches". So when he started to make them this week he made them 18" wide. Then I found a note saying (Make columns 16" instead of 18") And when I told him that, he said... too late! But 18" is what I wanted in the beginning (I had 18x12 columns and then wanted them 18x10 and then 16x10) so 18x10 is no big deal.

#245 ·
Thanks for the info. My soffit is 10" high without the drywall so mine should be similar. I'm currently working on my soffits now so I'm watching your progress carefully. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm doing the soffits as I go. I figure I will not make any progress if I have to figure everything out on paper first. Paralysis by analysis.

#246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 /forum/post/20958285

Thanks for the info. My soffit is 10" high without the drywall so mine should be similar. I'm currently working on my soffits now so I'm watching your progress carefully. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm doing the soffits as I go. I figure I will not make any progress if I have to figure everything out on paper first. Paralysis by analysis.

Yeah you are right on the money there. We aren't using drywall on our soffits. There will be a fabric bottom. The rest will be stuffed with some cotton insulation. The bare soffit for us is 10" high by 16" wide. The front section is deeper at 2'4" deep. The fabric panels will go on the bottom of the soffit. Our light tray bottoms are 3/4" thick and are on the bottom of the soffit so the frames for the fabric panels will be made to be flush.

#247 ·
I'm going to do fabric bottom on the front and rear soffit so i can fill them for bass traps. I'd like to do it all the way around but I have HVAC in the way.

#248 ·
damelon and Big,

What are your thoughts on only using only one set of side surrounds compared to two sets of side surrounds (one set for each row).

Where are they going to be placed and what kind of impact will it have on the rows?

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 /forum/post/20962501

damelon and Big,

What are your thoughts on only using only one set of side surrounds compared to two sets of side surrounds (one set for each row).

Where are they going to be placed and what kind of impact will it have on the rows?

Rear speakers are more for a general field vs direct location-wise. They have documents showing recommended angles of placement relative to your seating position... however this breaks down quickly the moment you have more than one seat. You can "repeat" side speakers, but you would have to have a really large room to ever make that necessary. A lot of surround speakers are dipole or omnipole so that the sound goes in multiple directions from a give point anyway. In a 7.1/2 surround field there are rear side and rear back speakers. You wouldn't want to use both of those channels on the sides. I personally would never put two pairs of side speakers in my theater unless it was something like 50 feet long. Any standard 2-row seating arrangement will be just fine with 1 pair of side/rear speakers. Many people still like plain old 5.1 vs 7.1 and that can have speakers on the sides OR the rear.

#252 ·
Just a quick preview. Damelon cracked the whip on his help this weekend and a lot of work as been done on the space. A FULL report will be forthcoming on Monday. Another day of work is ahead of us today.

Here the visiting English teacher from Poland puts on a first coat of paint. This is the first color introduced into the room and at this point we began to wonder about color choices and the meaning of life.

#253 · (Edited)
Just a quick preview. Damelon cracked the whip on his help this weekend and a lot of work as been done on the space. A FULL report will be forthcoming on Monday. Another day of work is ahead of us today.

Here the visiting English teacher from Poland puts on a first coat of paint. This is the first color introduced into the room and at this point we began to wonder about color choices and the meaning of life.

BIG I am surprised you let any pictures slip that have uncompleted columns in them! House party kept me up until 3am last night, expect walking dead help today.

#254 ·
OK, here is a semi completed NAKED column, still needs the nail holes filled, sanding, painting, and covering the middle with fabric.

Here is a shot of the soffit with 3 1/2 coats of paint (still drying). Damelon put on two coats today even with his lack of sleep while I worked on the columns. Note to self, Sanding Sealer is not a substitute for a dark tinted primer. The extra 1/2 coat was was an intermediate coat hitting some of the areas showing through the first two coats.

Details of this work tomorrow.

#255 · (Edited)
OK, here is a semi completed NAKED column, still needs the nail holes filled, sanding, painting, and covering the middle with fabric.

Here is a shot of the soffit with 3 1/2 coats of paint (still drying). Damelon put on two coats today even with his lack of sleep while I worked on the columns. Note to self, Sanding Sealer is not a substitute for a dark tinted primer. The extra 1/2 coat was was an intermediate coat hitting some of the areas showing through the first two coats.

Details of this work tomorrow.

I'm still in decision limbo when it comes to the color of the ribbing and the space in between. At the moment, we are just going to pain the solid parts of the column the same color as the light tray and the open part will be black GOM fabric. But I keep thinking it will look pretty plain that way.

I'm still pretty convinced that either the inlay will need to be a different color. I may end up going back to my original thought black or chrome/brushed nickel between the ribs. With this new brighter red instead of that faded garnet color I think the black would be much more profound than in the mock-up column and that metal banding would also go much better.

#256 ·
I think the key is to see the painted column in the final lighting scheme. Since there will be a light shining from directly above washing the face of the column the shadows of the ribbing may be enough of an effect. I do have a small roll of brushed stainless steel peel and stick laminate in "inventory".

or check out these options:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/she...sheetingfx.htm

#257 ·
Another topic I'd like to start here. I would LIKE to have a 130" wide cinemascope AT screen (Woven) so the gain will be around 1.0 (SMX and SeymourAV state 1.1 & 1.2 but I've read they are both about the same and at near 1.0 levels) but if I have to go down to a 120" wide then I will.

My throw range CAN be somewhere between 14' & 17'. I've been keeping an eye out on all of the latest projectors for the next year, but to be honest, I really don't know what to get. At this screen size I will need a projector that can put out enough light to fill it, so I'm sure a lot of you will suggest a DLP. I also need to keep in mind CIH methods. Zooming vs Lens. So far I'd say projectors like the JVC RS-45, Panny PT-AE7000U, Mitsubishi HC7800 would all be projectors I'd keep an eye on. I'd prefer the RS-45, but I'm not sure either it or the panny can put out the lumens I will need or not. I'd prefer to be able to support 3D.

At this time I have not yet purchased a projector, a screen, or a lens/scaler if required. Assuming my "wants", I'd appreciate setup recommendations. To include projector, lens, throw, etc. to make my pans work.

#258 ·
Those column's look great already! How did you make the slight curve on the face? What are the accent strips made from?

I'm taking notes

#260 ·
I am really enjoying this thread. You guys are doing an awesome job! I can't wait to see some finished pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon /forum/post/20969299

So far I'd say projectors like the JVC RS-45, Panny PT-AE7000U, Mitsubishi HC7800 would all be projectors I'd keep an eye on. I'd prefer the RS-45, but I'm not sure either it or the panny can put out the lumens I will need or not. I'd prefer to be able to support 3D.

The JVC RS-45 is going to be hard to beat IMO.

#261 · (Edited)
I am really enjoying this thread. You guys are doing an awesome job! I can't wait to see some finished pictures.

Quote:Originally Posted by damelon

So far I'd say projectors like the JVC RS-45, Panny PT-AE7000U, Mitsubishi HC7800 would all be projectors I'd keep an eye on. I'd prefer the RS-45, but I'm not sure either it or the panny can put out the lumens I will need or not. I'd prefer to be able to support 3D.

The JVC RS-45 is going to be hard to beat IMO.
I agree, which is why I am on the pre-order list with AVscience!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BIG's post from below:

COLUMN BUILDING DETAILS

Recalling an earlier post the columns were inspired by Sandman's original round columns. So the question was without buying half round plywood forms like Ruben, what could we do to create some roundness and strong horizontal lines like Ruben's grooves.

Here is the idea Damelon and I came up with:

A three part column with rounded out trim above and below the speaker area. The speaker area will covered with black GOM FR701.

I built a prototype of the round out area to test the look and materials

Damelon said go

First up was a cutting a bunch of wood for the square box parts. Just 4 sided boxes, no internal bracing necessary, all butt joints.

Then we needed to add a rounded bump out so I needed a bunch of round pieces.

I built a jig to do this.

Mounted a jig saw on a scrap piece of Pergo with double sided carpet seam tape.

I calculated that the radius should be 29.75 inches to get the amount of curve over a 18 inch width. So the distance from the blade to the screw pivot point is 29.75.

Then I mounted the Pergo swing arm on a little Jig

It had a shelf to rest the MDF to be cut

And I cut 36 of these guys....

The round outs on the columns consist of three of these pieces glued and nailed to the face of the square column faces. Then I covered the three supports with a piece of wall paneling. It is that faux wood paneling they sell at HD cut into 6 inch strips and just used upside down. The backs actually have a nice smooth finish.

Then I added matching pieces on the sides, you can almost see in this picture:

If you look you can see the base of the column that sits on and off the riser. Had to make the base of those columns at three levels to fit.

Next I needed the bump out trim bits. I wanted something about 3/8 x 1 1/4. Of course there wasn't anything on the shelf that size so I cut down 1x2s to size. I used Tuf Board that they sell at HD. I think it is a mixture of PVC and wood dust. An 8 foot length is like a wet noodle, at 18 inches sometimes you have to use and extra finish nail or two to hold it tight until the glue dries.

I also had to round over the edges

did that with a router table

a little bit later I had enough

cut some pieces to the right length and the right miters

glued and screwed to the fronts, used a spacer for the middle trim

added the sides. Then repeat for the 108 trim pieces.

column at the riser front

The middle section was detailed earlier in the thread, https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20949031 I just need to add that we did fill the metal support members with dry sand. Plugged the bottom end with a wad of insulation and sealed the bottom with black silicon seal, let dry, then Damelon poured in about two cups of sand and we topped off the last 1/2 inch with silicon seal.

full size column

column at the back of the theater

Now I need to fill the nail holes, do some wood putty work, sand, seal, sand, prime and paint.

#262 ·
COLUMN BUILDING DETAILS

Recalling an earlier post the columns were inspired by Sandman's original round columns. So the question was without buying half round plywood forms like Ruben, what could we do to create some roundness and strong horizontal lines like Ruben's grooves.

Here is the idea Damelon and I came up with:

A three part column with rounded out trim above and below the speaker area. The speaker area will covered with black GOM FR701.

I built a prototype of the round out area to test the look and materials

Damelon said go

First up was a cutting a bunch of wood for the square box parts. Just 4 sided boxes, no internal bracing necessary, all butt joints.

Then we needed to add a rounded bump out so I needed a bunch of round pieces.

I built a jig to do this.

Mounted a jig saw on a scrap piece of Pergo with double sided carpet seam tape.

I calculated that the radius should be 29.75 inches to get the amount of curve over a 18 inch width. So the distance from the blade to the screw pivot point is 29.75.

Then I mounted the Pergo swing arm on a little Jig

It had a shelf to rest the MDF to be cut

And I cut 36 of these guys

The round outs on the columns consist of three of these pieces glued and nailed to the face of the square column faces. Then I covered the three supports with a piece of wall paneling. It is that faux wood paneling they sell at HD cut into 6 inch strips and just used upside down. The backs actually have a nice smooth finish.

Then I added matching pieces on the sides, you can almost see in this picture:

If you look you can see the base of the column that sits on and off the riser. Had to make the base of those columns at three levels to fit.

Next I needed the bump out trim bits. I wanted something about 3/8 x 1 1/4. Of course there wasn't anything on the shelf that size so I cut down 1x2s to size. I used Tuf Board that they sell at HD. I think it is a mixture of PVC and wood dust. An 8 foot length is like a wet noodle, at 18 inches sometimes you have to use and extra finish nail or two to hold it tight until the glue dries.

I also had to round over the edges

did that with a router table

a little bit later I had enough

cut some pieces to the right length and the right miters

glued and screwed to the fronts, used a spacer for the middle trim

added the sides. Then repeat for the 108 trim pieces.

column at the riser front

The middle section was detailed earlier in the thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20949031 I just need to add that we did fill the metal support members with dry sand. Plugged the bottom end with a wad of insulation and sealed the bottom with black silicon seal, let dry, then Damelon poured in about two cups of sand and we topped off the last 1/2 inch with silicon seal.

full size column

column at the back of the theater

Now I need to fill the nail holes, do some wood putty work, sand, seal, sand, prime and paint.

#264 ·
Love the detailed write-ups. It's great to see an idea go from paper to near completion in a few short pictures. Plus it helps us steal, I mean borrow, all of your ideas.

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20972759

COLUMN BUILDING DETAILS

Here is the idea Damelon and I came up with: [[SNIP]]

Truly awesome. The idea was great, and it looks as though you figured out a way to make it work, and it looks not just awesome but highly professional. Details like this are the kind of thing that you might see in a multi-million-dollar 10000+ square foot house...

Congratulations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.