AVS Forum banner

Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread

266K views 825 replies 174 participants last post by  ToiletSiphon 
#1 ·
Although elsewhere on AVS Forum there is a 2010 Bravia lineup thread,

THIS thread is specific to the 2010 Sony (LCD) "HX"701 Cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) model of HDTV. Please post known factual information and verified calibration settings, owners adjustments etc.

At this time of original posting, March 8, 2010 the Sony HX701 model is a Canadian model offered to certain Americans. American XBR1 owners are being offered the Sony HX701 at a reduced rate in exchange for SXRD green blobs and yellow stains that recur on Sony XBR1 (and other LCOS models) circa 2005, 2006, 2007.

Anticipate availability in approximately mid-April 2010 in the USA via the Sony SXRD exchange program. There is some discussion of the HX701 herein within this AVSforum within the "Rear Projection Models" folder.

Although for other Sony Bravia models the XX0 vs. XX1 numeric distinction is intended to indicate a "Costco-specific" model, to the best of my knowledge at this time ... the HX701 is NOT a Costco-specific model. In the general internet web there are google results for an Asian 701 model, but it is not clear to me via Google Translation Toolbar if such an Asian HX701 is nearly similar to a Canadian HX701 or not. Perhaps a reader or lurker familiar with the language can contribute additional information in that regard.

The existing 2010 Bravia lineup thread covers a wide variety of models, contains inaccurate speculation, covers a wide geographic area, and hence is rather disorganized. Hence, THIS THREAD is specific to the 2010 Sony HX701 LCD CCFL HDTV.

Best regards to owners and potential owners. Enjoy your new HDTV.

Certainly, feel free to share your various opinions of 2010 Sony "HX"701 LCD CCFL HDTV picture settings, adjustments, tweaks, calibration results and overall impressions.

Leo Henton, a consumer, not affiliated with Sony.

See less See more
#780 ·
55HX701 from Costco, Sept 2010. At work, so I don't have build date handy, but no issues at all. Sure it has the glass that several complain about reflection/glare, but I have a 3 yr old that likes to touch or sometimes hit the tv (gets a firm scolding from me). So, I'm thankful that it's more child-proof...haha. But once again, no issues at all and I do use the various features like watching Netflix. Just remember, the Wi-Fi adapter is bought separately.

#781 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaes72 /forum/post/0

55HX701 from Costco, Sept 2010. At work, so I don't have build date handy, but no issues at all. Sure it has the glass that several complain about reflection/glare, but I have a 3 yr old that likes to touch or sometimes hit the tv (gets a firm scolding from me). So, I'm thankful that it's more child-proof...haha. But once again, no issues at all and I do use the various features like watching Netflix. Just remember, the Wi-Fi adapter is bought separately.

I really like the reflective glass. Deeper colors then non-reflective. If your lighting works, you won't regret it!

#783 ·
I think this IS the official thread...this set was only available at Future Shop and The Sony Store in Canada, and had a fairly limited release in the US, hence the smaller size of this thread compared to the EX500, for example.

I just got my HX46701 out of the box and set up, so I'm not the best person to answer your question--I may be mistaken, but I think there were some posts about the USB port earlier in the thread. I would suggest going back several pages to check it out.

#784 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromottawa
Can some one point me to the official thread for the KDL-xxHX701. I have a question about the use of the USB port (like why I can not read stuff off a USB drive plugged into the TV USB port).

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by species5618
I think this IS the official thread...this set was only available at Future Shop and The Sony Store in Canada, and had a fairly limited release in the US, hence the smaller size of this thread compared to the EX500, for example.

I just got my HX46701 out of the box and set up, so I'm not the best person to answer your question--I may be mistaken, but I think there were some posts about the USB port earlier in the thread. I would suggest going back several pages to check it out.
Go to "Search This Thread" (Just above the first post on the right.), and do a search on "USB". You'll get 19 hits as of now.

#785 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromottawa /forum/post/0

Can some one point me to the official thread for the KDL-xxHX701. I have a question about the use of the USB port (like why I can not read stuff off a USB drive plugged into the TV USB port).

Thanks

What sort of issue are you having? I was able to use mine. That is how I updated my software initially.

Try to delete files on there and try again, or reformat if necessary. It should work.

#786 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know when the latest firmware update for the HX701 series was issued?

My 46" model has a build date of March 2011, so I'm wondering if I even need to bother with any FW updates--due to the late build date, would all the updates already be included? Although I'm familiar with the concept of FW updates, I'm new to actually using them as my last set was a CRT built in 2000.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

#788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by species5618 /forum/post/20312211

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know when the latest firmware update for the HX701 series was issued?

My 46" model has a build date of March 2011, so I'm wondering if I even need to bother with any FW updates--due to the late build date, would all the updates already be included? Although I'm familiar with the concept of FW updates, I'm new to actually using them as my last set was a CRT built in 2000.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

I have a 40" and I just received a firmware update a few days ago, I think, from 4.086 to 4.099. I noticed a significant change to the Netflix interface. You can now browse different categories, search (press the Options button on the remote), etc.

I have the TV connected directly (wired) to my router and set the auto updates to on in the TV's menu. Unfortunately Sony's website doesn't have the latest firmware yet, http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL40HX701

So I guess anyone wanting it will have to use auto updates somehow...plug in or wireless adapter...until it's posted.

#789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb /forum/post/20319554

I have a 40" and I just received a firmware update a few days ago, I think, from 4.086 to 4.099. I noticed a significant change to the Netflix interface. You can now browse different categories, search (press the Options button on the remote), etc.

I have the TV connected directly (wired) to my router and set the auto updates to on in the TV's menu. Unfortunately Sony's website doesn't have the latest firmware yet, http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL40HX701

So I guess anyone wanting it will have to use auto updates somehow...plug in or wireless adapter...until it's posted.

I have mine set to auto also and just checked this morning and my 55" has had an update. I now have 4.099.

#790 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb /forum/post/0

The Netflix update is very nice! I like it!

#793 ·
I know this is an old thread. But for those of you who are still looking for KDL55-HX701's. I just went over to the Sony Outlet in Riverhead, NY and snagged one for $1000+tax. The extended 3 year warranty was only $100 so I got that too. I haven't set it up yet but I am really excited.

They only had 1 left, but if any of you live near a Sony Outlet, check it out.

#796 ·
I own a Sony KDL-46HX700 with a LTY[Z]460HQ02-001 Samsung LCD panel and if you compare this model with its successor you will see that the quality has not improved

Sony To Rehaul Loss-Making TV Business As Sales Forecast Slashed.

Loss-Building TV Affair Aѕ Sales Forecast Slashed HDTV Test Sony's forecast fοr sales οf Bravia LCD TV displays hаѕ bееn revised downwards bу 19% tο a total οf 22 million sets. Executives аt Sony аrе now ѕаіԁ tο bе “going back tο thе depiction board” whеn іt comes tο thе companionship's TV arm, and some believe that this could mean that a possible merger is on the cards, particularly given that many other television makers are experiencing similar problems.

Source: HDTVTest.co.uk

#798 ·
Has anybody used the ARC function? If I have other components connected directly to the tv via HDMI and analogue audio, does the HDMI 1 input with ARC always output whatever audio is being used on the TV ie. playing wii on tv the audio will also be output via the HDMI using ARC.

the reason I am asking is that I am considering adding a soundbar that has ARC, and have all components direct to TV and audio from TV to soundbar. Could use optical or analogue, but with HDMI ARC, the soundbar turns on and off automatically.

Thanks

#799 ·
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I use the optical out on the tv to connect to my home theatre receiver, whatever I plug directly into the tv (cable box to HDMI 1 and BR player to HDMI 4) has its signal sent out of the tvs optical out to the receiver. I get 5.1 in shows and on blue ray discs just by switching inputs on the tv to the correct source because I just leave the receiver set to the same input all the time. It's seamless

#800 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan /forum/post/20980046

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I use the optical out on the tv to connect to my home theatre receiver, whatever I plug directly into the tv (cable box to HDMI 1 and BR player to HDMI 4) has its signal sent out of the tvs optical out to the receiver. I get 5.1 in shows and on blue ray discs just by switching inputs on the tv to the correct source because I just leave the receiver set to the same input all the time. It's seamless

I was wanting to do the same but use the HDMI ARC output to a soundbar. I was hoping that the HDMI ARC would output whatever is showing on the TV (analogue or digital) so that the soundbar when receiving an HDMI input will switch on and off automaticaly

#801 ·
The HDMIs work that way for sure since I'm doing it. You should be ok. I have to read up on what HDMI ARC is, I thought the HDMI plugs were strictly inputs. Guess I stopped researching when the tv did what I wanted.

Just googled it. That's a neat idea! Wish I could confirm ARC functionality, but if the same thought process went into it as did the HDMI in -> Optical Out that I use then you should be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.