AVS Forum banner

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector

573K views 5K replies 534 participants last post by  tolikboev 
#1 ·
Was told to start an OWNERS thread, so here it is. I've only put a few hours on it so far, but I'll cut and paste my first impressions from another thread:

Have had it on for about an hour now and I'm impressed!

3D is the best I have ever seen! There is absolutely NO CROSSTALK or GHOSTING visible. Even one of the best 3D titles I own (Despicable Me) had some ghosting visible on my other Panny plasmas (especially the title), not here. Of course poorly produced 3D will still look like crap, but the good ones will REALLY look great on this projector.

In my almost completely dark "man cave", I'm using the 'cinema 1' setting, eco lamp mode, and 'light' for the 3D glasses setting. I don't think that most people will find the 'normal' or 'dark' mode to be very pleasing, at least I don't.

Set up was relatively easy, especially if you've already owned a few Panasonics like I have (the 900 and 2000). I HATE the joystick lens shift adjustment, but it should only have to be set once, and as long as you don't change the positioning of the projector, you shouldn't need to touch it again. So far, everything else that's setup related has been a joy.

Those worried about the built in 3D emitter's range will be happy to hear that (at least with my setup: approx. 17' throw to a 120" Wilsonart Designer White screen) the 3D effect is not lost even when sitting 15' back from the screen. I have the built in emitter set to 'strong' and the lens shift cover off.

Of course these are only my very first impressions, so I'll have to really give it a workout later tonight. Will check out a lot more 3D (both Blu Ray and cable) as well as 2D.

BTW, mine was delivered by FED EXP (overnight service). It came from Memphis, TN.

See less See more
#130 ·
I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. I will remove all photos in question. Again please accept my apologies.

#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon /forum/post/21033880

Still, the differences in those two pictures are bigger than I'd like. I sincerely hope that it is just projector and/or calibration. A lot of detail is lost in blacks there.

Screen shots mean absolutely nothing unless they are taken with the same source material, same size and gain screen, same environment and same camera with the exact same setting such as WB, F-stop, etc....... I would caution everyone on making any judgments from pics.

#132 ·
The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos. The slightest change in exposure can have a huge impact on dark detail.

Not to mention, most DSLRs (let's not even mention compact cameras) can only capture a dynamic range of ~9EV (which translates to a 512:1 contrast ratio). So that dynamic range has to be leveraged carefully on the part of the image you want to analyze (shadow details in this case).

Also throw some JPG compression in the mix, along with the capabilities and calibration of the display you're viewing the photos on.

To me, the photo of the AE7000 posted by Kevin seems underexposed. Which is why the entire image appears dimmer compared the RS10 photo. This would definitely crush the blacks.

Note: I'm on the pre-order list for the RS45, so I have no vested interest in the AE7000 being proven to have JVC black levels or anything.

#133 ·
This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.

#134 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabb /forum/post/21034072

The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos.

I will add to this and even say that photos are meaningless EVEN if taken at the exact same settings. Very few people have good enough equipment and have two projectors calibrated accurately enough to be able to do such a thing. There is only one time when you can look at a photo as a reference, that is if a reliable source took the picture and is telling you that he saw the same thing with his own eyes when looking at the projected image directly before he took the photo.

All a photo does is to convey the end-result visually, but as others have said screenshots are less than worthless for comparing.

#135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Basile /forum/post/21034088

This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.

Nice impressions. Any comments on input lag for gaming?

#136 ·
Assuming all things are "equal", I would still prefer the old RS10's picture since I do not need 3D. A used RS10 would be less expensive than the new ae4000.

In terms of bias, I used to have JVCs and my backup is an old Panny ae900u.

#138 ·
I ordered one late last night.. this is my first projector.. I have a conduit in the ceiling for where I had hoped to put a projector some 6 years ago when I was building out the room..

But what cables do I need to run up to it? It's a 25 ft cable run from device to projector.

Obviously 3 HDMI cables

Several CAT5 or CAT6 for either ethernet or Infared Repeating, or some weird HDMI over CAT5 task I may want to do in the future?? I'm thinking maybe 4 CAT5's just in case..

I don't think I'll bother with a VGA cable anymore..

What are the two 3.5mm looking jacks? Do I need a serial cable of some sort? Will that run over CAT5, I hope, w/ an adapter of some sort to go to the 9-pin RS232? Obviously I'll be missing a conductor for the 9th pin..

Thanks for any tips! I need to get my cables ordered..

#139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad /forum/post/21033963

I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. Again my projector is not calibrated and I made no claim to. My screen is lower gain but from my perspective, in person I'm happy with it and given my space, I really don't think I personally would want anything much brighter. I will remove all but the photo in question. Again please accept my apologies.

No need to apologize. My only concern was people who may not know better looking at the pic and reply and thinking "wow, I don't want that projector, it seems it crushes black, so I'll try to find one that doesn't". The pic of TDK comparing the 2 scenes, the bottom one seems to crush whites, detail lost in the mask..which again, doesn't mean the projector is prone to "white crush"..

I enjoy reading everyone's impression of their new projector, but know I shouldn't cancel my order if I detect a lack of shadow detail on a screen shot. I hope you post some more though! It's fun. kf

#140 ·
Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?

I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic /forum/post/21034520

Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?

I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.

waaahhhhh

#144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 /forum/post/21034546

going just on these pics the rs-10's image looks alot sharper. kind of a disappointment from the panny

All those two pics say to me is: Kevin 3000 has a lot nicer camera, and is a much better photographer of projected images, than the owner of the Panny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.