AVS Forum banner

Dolphin 3.0 Emulation

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Amber Ale 
#1 ·
Has anyone done much with Nintendo Wii emulation on HTPC? Reason I ask is the new Super Mario brothers videos in wii emulation look awesome. Even oldschool games like Super Mario All Stars looks great when some video interpolation is applied to smoothen out all pixels.

I played super mario brothers: lost levels (NES), with my brother in law on a projector (through emulation). The video interpolation you do in software makes the game look AWESOME! It's amazing how good really old games can look if you just smoothen out all their pixels.

#6 ·
I just bought a compatible optical drive off ebay so I can dump my wii games onto my PC and use Dolphin. I hope it works on all my games, and not just the bigger releases. But even if it did just that, it'd be worth it.

#7 ·
doesnt dolphin emu also let up upscale the graphics to HD rez. I remember seeing a video for I think Mario Galaxy running on dolphin in hd..well sorta

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale /forum/post/21019809

Does this emulator do anything for the Wii's 480p graphics? Can it run them at 1080P or at least make them look more hi-res?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 /forum/post/21020464

doesnt dolphin emu also let up upscale the graphics to HD rez. I remember seeing a video for I think Mario Galaxy running on dolphin in hd..well sorta

Yes, Dolphin allows you to render the games at a much higher resolution. Games played through the emulator can look much, much better than playing them on an actual GameCube or Wii console.

#10 ·
I actually just tested out a few GC games with this yesterday, and was surprised at how well it worked. I remember an early version that was much worse, and a huge hassle to get running.

For the games I tried, this was easier than digging out the GC controller and memory cards to use with the Wii.

#11 ·
thanks for the update, the past versions i was using/tried were buggy with super smash bros...so i'm looking forward to trying out the new one.

wii games look so much better on the pc than the wii!

#12 ·
This likes like a great emulator. I would love to play Mario Kart in high resolution.

My question is: How would one get the game data onto the computer? My sister has a Wii and I have a Gamecube, so I have legal copies of the games that I want to play. But how would we be able to get the PC to read the data on the disks (especially the GC disks, which are so small in comparison to standard disks)?

#13 ·
you have to find a compatible disk drive, you can google it and then pick one up off ebay

#14 ·
You can also use a Wii with the homebrew channel installed to dump the games to an .iso, using the program CleanRip.

CleanRip retains garbage data and so you'll have every game at 4.7GB, despite many games actually being much smaller, so there are other options to get rid of that too.

#15 ·
thanks jhoff, excellent. now..i just build a PC to run this.

any recommendations on what's required? what CPU and graphics card would be overkill? how much RAM?

Thanks,

ELmO

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/21034034

any recommendations on what's required? what CPU and graphics card would be overkill? how much RAM?

It still requires a pretty powerful system. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that CPU is more important than GPU. So far, I'm getting the best results with the Direct3D11 setup, so you'll probably want a GPU that supports that.

That being said, I'm running at 3x resolution internally, with 2xAA and 2xAF, on a 1080p display, and so far, with the Gamecube games I've tried, it's running fullspeed (as long as I don't use the DSP LLE options for audio, which I believe give better sound but run much slower). That's on a Q6600, 8GB RAM, and a AMD 6850 all running stock, so I'd have to imagine more recent systems would run it even better.

I haven't tried any Wii games yet, since as far as I can tell, you need to use the Microsoft bluetooth stack to use a Wii remote, and my Bluetooth 3.0 dongle uses a Motorola stack.

#18 ·
Very goof information regarding BT stack. BTW I will be connecting the new PC to a proje tor to play Wii like it was meant to be played..large, and in 1080p!

The new optoma hd33 projector is only 1.5K and does 3d to boot. I heard MLB and virtual tennis 3d on ps3 is a lot of fun!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/21042646

Is Dolphin able to render 4:3 GCN games at 1080p with the correct aspect ratio like N64 emulators are able to do?

I'd like to play Twilight Princess in 16:9 but I can't stand Wiimote controls and prefer the Gamecube controls so much better.

I played a little of Windwaker perfectly in 4:3. There's a setting to crop or stretch the video, but I haven't used either of them, instead preferring it letterboxed.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/21034466

I haven't tried any Wii games yet, since as far as I can tell, you need to use the Microsoft bluetooth stack to use a Wii remote, and my Bluetooth 3.0 dongle uses a Motorola stack.

I take this back. Apparently Dolphin can pair inside the app using the MS stack, but with my Motorola-based stack I just needed to pair as with any other device and Dolphin detected it.

Keep in mind you'll need a sensor bar with an alternate source of power though.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/21051357

I take this back. Apparently Dolphin can pair inside the app using the MS stack, but with my Motorola-based stack I just needed to pair as with any other device and Dolphin detected it.

Keep in mind you'll need a sensor bar with an alternate source of power though.

What does this mean, alternate source of power? How does that work?

#26 ·
OK Thanks. I can't wait to begin my build. I am stuck on what projector to use with it though, certainly I must play Wii in 1080p on a projector.

Added metroid prime 1080p example in the first post...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.