AVS Forum banner

U-Verse Audio Dropouts

65K views 173 replies 70 participants last post by  edv713 
#1 ·
I got tired of the annoying Uverse Drop outs and not getting any satisfaction. I contacted my states Attorney's General and they sent a letter to ATT Uverse about my complaint. A few minutes ago Att's Charles Dines called me wanting to help. He told me it was a known problem. He tried too tell me it was the optical cables fault not lining up with the sensor, or the optical cable was no good. I informed him I had tried 4 different cables with the same results. He took my information as to what type of receiver I owned and which cable I also used. He told me he would work on duplicating the problem with those components. We are going to try to get to the bottom of this one way or another...if anyone has anything constructive they would like me to ask Mr Dines, please post it here.

I know this is not much, but it's a start.

Jon

#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/19787404

post this:

Don't know if anyone has tried this but I found this solution:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t165470..._sound_quality

using this component:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/gefen-ext-...er-scaler.html

Something about a $300+ piece of equipment to fix an issue they have known about for this long seems a bit over-the-top. I like how that guy in the link thinks he's going to be reimbursed by AT&T.

They need to get away from the Cisco boxes, plain and simple. That kind of sucks, because compared to my Brighthouse box (Scientific Atlanta), this thing is WAY better, less the audio issue.

Like I said, it has gotten considerably better here (Central Florida), but it still remains. Some days are better than others, but it much less consistent. Maybe they are making progress? We can hope right?

#132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black993 /forum/post/19787518

Like I said, it has gotten considerably better here (Central Florida), but it still remains. Some days are better than others, but it much less consistent. Maybe they are making progress? We can hope right?

Have you noticed any of these problems:

1. Sometimes when I watch recorded movies, shows, etc the video stops, or skips

2. When watching live TV, I have noticed the video goes out and I need to change channels to get it back

3. When watching live TV, the audio goes completely out

Hopefully, I am not the only one. I have a tech coming out for the 3rd or 4th time tomorrow and I'm at wits end with AT&T.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/19805990

2. When watching live TV, I have noticed the video goes out and I need to change channels to get it back

Hopefully, I am not the only one. I have a tech coming out for the 3rd or 4th time tomorrow and I'm at wits end with AT&T.

AMROGERS3 - YES!! Those are three of the exact problems I face. I also have issues with the HD picture quality pixelating. (Esp, during live sports broadcasts) I've had several techs out to the house....big waste of time. Tier 2 support wants to help but seems stuck.

#134 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw201n /forum/post/19992712

AMROGERS3 - YES!! Those are three of the exact problems I face. I also have issues with the HD picture quality pixelating. (Esp, during live sports broadcasts) I've had several techs out to the house....big waste of time. Tier 2 support wants to help but seems stuck.

Yep same here. Still no resolution here.

#135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 /forum/post/19805990

Cant say that I have those issues. I have one local station (local NBC) that will lose video for long periods of time though.

I do get bad pixelation on sports and have since I signed up. I do have great signal numbers and am on the highest profile so distance/signal strength isn't my issue I don't think.

Watching the Grammy awards tonight and the audio is dropping like crazy and for longer (2 to 3 seconds). Not sure if its the broadcast or U-Verse

#136 ·
Watching Live HD is the true culprit. If you have other drop off issues, it may be a cable or connection issue. When Watching Live HD programming, you will receive an audio 'blip' when using 5.1 surround mode. It is on the Uverse 'known issue list', but they do not have a solution planned in the near future. Continue to contact tech support teir 2 and 3, and continue to write to them, and your attorney general, until this problem is resolved. For now, you can get a discount if you complain, but that's about it. - A loyal customer, but a frustrated one.

#137 ·
I can add a few data points to the drop out problem.

I started using Uverse (VIP 1225) with a Pioneer Elite receiver and had no problems whatsover. I was running all HDMI.

Then, I "upgraded" to an Onkyo 3000--the audio drop-outs started immediately. Interestingly, though, the audio was fine for Dolby Digital broadcasts, but was unbearable for non-DD. During a program, the Onkyo would audibly click every few seconds, like it was switching formats or something. The Pioneer receiver never did this. In fact, I still am using the Pioneer receiver for my second TV, for a true apples to apples comparison, and there are no drop outs.

Also, as noted by others, the problem is "fixed" if you go into the audio menu of the Uverse box, and switch the digital audio out from "surround" to "stereo." Of course, when you do this, you lose surround sound (including the true Dolby Digital broadcasts), which kind of defeats the purpose of having a quality system.

My conclusion: Uverse has a problem with the audio stream, in "surround" mode, for non-Dolby Digital broadcasts. Something about the audio stream is interrupted. Some receivers, like Pioneer, can handle these little interruptions seamlessly for no audible drop-outs. Other receivers, like Onkyo (or Integra), have a terrible time with these interruptions, which result in constant dropouts. I even put the Onkyo in "Pure Direct" mode (i.e., bypassing all video and audio processing), but it didn't help.

I showed my tech this problem, and of course he blamed the Onkyo receiver. Also, if you connect the Uverse box straight to the TV (via HDMI), there are no dropouts.

#138 ·
I'm glad you posted this information. I was going to ask if anyone had noticed an improvement with the latest Uverse software update.

I have an Onkyo receiver and have not noticed any dropouts at all since the update. However, I have noticed that when I change the channel or pause video and replay, that it takes a couple of seconds for the sound stream to pick back up with the picture. I do go back and check to make sure the surround mode is turned on from time to time.

#140 ·
Just had the service installed. Two years ago I tried it but dropped it after experiencing the audio drop outs

We still have the drop outs (optical audio connection) with a Sony receiver (5 years old or so).

Happened while watching live Tv of a local NBC station. Rewound it and it repeated at the same time.

Ugh

How do I know I have the latest software and firmware ?

thanks

#142 ·
Just bought Onkyo HT-S3400 system to replace a Samsung that couldn't handle video via Motorola VIP1216 HDMI, audio seemed good. 3400 because I needed the 4 inputs for switching between TV and WD liveplus. Tried using optical but audio dropping out whether HDMI or opt audio. Currently using coaxial audio and no problems noted even with Motorola VIP1216 in surrond sound. ATT sending me new VIP1225 so hope HDMI/Opt audio problem solved with 1225 firmware. Not getting my hopes up.

Audio fine using just WD opt input.

#144 ·
Just had Uverse installed today. Switchd from Comcast. Going to miss some Internet speed. Hopefully the nayroom makes up for it.

One Item I am having is my TV will not pickup the DD signal. I have a one yr old Sharp Aquas 60" LCd TV with a Denon 2809 AVR.

I run HDMI through the uverse through the denon and to the TV. The denon will bypass in standby. With Uverse in stero mode I get sound from my TV speakers and when the AVR is on I get stereo mode out the AVR.

When I goto surrond mode(Uverse) I will get DD on the AVR but when its in standby My TV reads its not a correct PCM signal and I get no audio out the TV speakers.

I tried a HDMI cable direct from the Uverse box to the TV and the same results. Stereo settign on Uverse I get sound---Surround mode no sound.

Any thoughts to resolve the issue. I would hate to have go to the menu to switch to surrond mode every time I want to listen with my AVR during a good show or program.

Thanks

Dennis

#147 ·
I have two problems. I just installed a Motorola VIP2250. It was supposed to fix my problems. There is still an a/v dropout. If I rewind the info is there. It means the signal is not being sent from this brand new box.

The second problem, when I change channels the video signal appears right away. The audio signal takes about 3.5 seconds. The a/v is in synch, just very annoying.

Anybody have a solution tier 2 wants to send someone out. I'm sure this is a software problem somewhere.

#148 ·
Hey, kingrsol and MonkeyPoke (and anyone else who has gotten the newer VIP2550):

Are you connecting it to an Onkyo receiver? I've been dealing with the 1225 for a while, and got tired of the choppy audio when forgetting to switch the box from surround to stereo.
A 2550 is on its way and if anyone else is using this with an Onkyo, I'd love to hear how it is working out for you.

I found this thread after much frustration and am relieved to hear of the newer box. Here's hoping..

Thanks, everyone for the help.

#150 ·
I've had U-verse for since '07 and it was around 2009 these problems started creeping up on me to the point where now I don't even want to watch anything on cable. I can't remember the VIP# of the DVR I started with but two years ago was given the 1225 b/c that would "fix" these issues. B/c that hasn't worked they gave me the 2250 to solve the problem. NOPE!

With the first VIP the HDMI wouldn't work at all so you had to run component cables, but after one of the software fixes I started running HDMI to an Onkyo receiver. I got rid of the Onkyo a while back (thinking that could have been part of the problem). Here's my configurations history:

vip???? Component Onkyo TX-SR674 HDMI Sammy s4253 plasma

vip1225 HDMI Onkyo TX-SR674 HDMI Sammy s4253 plasma

vip1225 HDMI Pioneer 1120 HDMI Sammy s4253 plasma

vip1225 HDMI Pioneer 1120 HDMI Sammy d8000 plasma

and now

vip2250 HDMI Pioneer 1120 HDMI Sammy d8000 plasma

Unless all Onkyo receivers, Pioneer receivers, and Sammy plasmas are the problem it's time for ATT to own up. I did have one friend who had this same problem tell me that after he changed out all of the "F" connectors on the coax cables the problem went away. he found them all to be corroded. B/c I don't have four hours to sit around for their tech try to convince to me this is my fault b/c my receiver and TV are to blame, I'm going to switch out the F connectors and see what that does.

In the mean time, any other suggestions????

#151 ·
How is the 2550 working out? I had Uverse a couple years ago and switched today from DirecTV. Now, I have audio dropout like crazy. Looks like this issue has been going on for a LONG time. They gave me a VIP1200

I also have an Onkyo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper74 /forum/post/21635905

Hey, kingrsol and MonkeyPoke (and anyone else who has gotten the newer VIP2550):

Are you connecting it to an Onkyo receiver? I've been dealing with the 1225 for a while, and got tired of the choppy audio when forgetting to switch the box from surround to stereo.
A 2550 is on its way and if anyone else is using this with an Onkyo, I'd love to hear how it is working out for you.

I found this thread after much frustration and am relieved to hear of the newer box. Here's hoping..

Thanks, everyone for the help.

#152 ·
I just had Uverse installed. U450 package , 4 tv's. I have a Cisco 4320 dvr, and Cisco receivers for the other 3 tv's. I have no audio drop outs while watching live tv , on demand, or recordings.

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan  /t/1134904/u-verse-audio-dropouts/150#post_22106822

I just had Uverse installed. U450 package , 4 tv's. I have a Cisco 4320 dvr, and Cisco receivers for the other 3 tv's. I have no audio drop outs while watching live tv , on demand, or recordings.

The drop outs were mostly in 5.1 mode, Its much better now...99% better !

Only Palladia music channel in 5.1 is still the worse and never was fix in the two years I had HD U-V service.

Could only enjoy Palladia in analog. Its rare for a drop out in analog, but it does happen..

I canceled the Palladia music channel when att bumped the price up from 5 to 7 bucks..

The HD PQ is better than, and the pricing is afew cents less than comcast...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.