AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread

508K views 3K replies 392 participants last post by  BMLocal175 
#1 ·
SHARP UNVEILS WORLD'S LARGEST LED LCD TV

80-inch Model Reinforces Sharp as Industry Leader in Large Flat Panel TVs

09/27/2011

MAHWAH, NJ (September 27, 2011) -- Continuing to build on its leadership in large screen LCD TVs, Sharp today introduced the largest LED LCD TV to date, the 80-inch AQUOS (80-inch diagonal) LC-80LE632U. This new TV is a full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Smart TV, equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and access to apps like Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU as well as Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage Live℠ online support.

"Our 80-inch AQUOS TV delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV, for an amazing viewing experience," said John Herrington, president, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "It's truly like nothing else on the market. Consumers want bigger flat panel TVs for deeper, more immersive viewing experiences and that's exactly what Sharp's delivering here," Herrington continued.

The AQUOS 80-inch LED LCDTV offers stunning picture quality and sleek design. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1. Additionally, the LC-80LE632U employs 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced which virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. At an incredible depth of less than four inches, the new AQUOS 80" is a stylish replacement for similar screen size rear-projection TVs, with depth of almost two feet.

With AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠, Sharp AQUOS Advantage Advisors can remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality.

The LC-80LE632U is the latest expression of Sharp's goal of providing a large screen TV to fit virtually any need or budget. It is the centerpiece to Sharp's large-screen push of 2011, following the release of five Sharp AQUOS 70-inch class TVs, and 10 AQUOS 60-inch class TVs.

The AQUOS LC-80LE632U Television features:

80-inch Class (80-inch diagonal) - more than double the screen area of a 55-inch Class TV;

Smart TV - delivers Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi;

AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠ - a suite of premium connected services featuring the ability for AQUOS Advantage Advisors to remotely assist customers with setup and settings management directly over the Internet, right in the comfort of their own home;

Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel - with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through;

Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between video game consoles and the TV display;

Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV; 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced - for improved fast motion picture quality

LC-80LE632U will be available in early October with an MSRP of $5,499.99 (US).

See less See more
#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLevelKing /forum/post/21083479

Sharp is back and it's great to hear that the blacks are great. Chad implied that the blacks were below what his equipment could measure. Chad, what is the lowest measurement you got with your equipment so we have a point of reference for it's black level. THanks.

How does this set perform on non blu ray movies. Has anyone seen regular upconverted dvd's on this set? My concern is that with this size tv the imperfections would be that much more noticeable.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLevelKing /forum/post/21083479

Sharp is back and it's great to hear that the blacks are great. Chad implied that the blacks were below what his equipment could measure. Chad, what is the lowest measurement you got with your equipment so we have a point of reference for it's black level. THanks.

This was the 1st black level reading I've attempted with that meter, so I don't know.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21077571

Yeah I need to know this as well I'm @ 11' recliner to screen with a 60"er & want a larger screen . ....

A few years ago Sound and Vision magazine had an article on optimum viewing distances from various screen sizes. Check out the attached chart and you will see that 10.5 feet is the perfect distance for watching 1080 Hi Def on an 80" screen. I currently sit about 7 feet from my 55" Vizio and find that the perfect distance for that set. I'm looking forward to moving my recliner back a few feet when my 80" Sharp gets delivered next week (I hope).

Got a great price in Canada at $4-1/2K.

I'll post my opinion of it a week or so later. I'm pretty picky so if something is wrong with it, I will definitely notice.

Bill

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag /forum/post/21086167

A few years ago Sound and Vision magazine had an article on optimum viewing distances from various screen sizes. Check out the attached chart and you will see that 10.5 feet is the perfect distance for watching 1080 Hi Def on an 80" screen. I currently sit about 7 feet from my 55" Vizio and find that the perfect distance for that set. I'm looking forward to moving my recliner back a few feet when my 80" Sharp gets delivered next week (I hope).

I'll post my opinion of it a week or so later. I'm pretty picky so if something is wrong with it, I will definitely notice.

Bill

Thanx Bill , Let us know all your thoughts on this display ..

#85 ·
Best Buy in the Woodlands, TX just put theirs up in the Magnolia section of the store. I must say that I was really impressed with this set. I'm picky with picture quality to an extent and this set had really good blacks and great overall uniformity and color. I have been Skeptical of buying Sharp products the past few years but if they can release a 735 (like the 70 inch) version with 3D, Quattron and 240 hz, I'm picking one up ASAP. My expectations for this set were mediocre but upon finally seeing it in person, it's a definite best bang for the buck "Big" TV with pretty darn good quality. I took a photo and will post tomorrow to show the size of it next to a 55".

#86 ·
Re: Graininess you talk about is not due to the display but it is originating from the content, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/21079098

No, I felt it was added or at least exaggerated by the display in this case.

I wonder if this noise could be seen when displaying constant grey or color level. If yes, this would suggest problem with the analog electronics driving the display and/or signal distribution cables. If not, one would have to analyze the dependence on the input signal.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/21086374

Re: Graininess you talk about is not due to the display but it is originating from the content, right?

I wonder if this noise could be seen when displaying constant grey or color level.

No, it could not be seen with constant colors or test patterns.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag /forum/post/21086167

Bill

Interesting, but other sources will yield much different recommendations. THX and SMPTE numbers are quite different. Some are resolution based, others are field of view based. Here is an oft posted link:

viewing distance calculator

#89 ·
Nice review Chad and I'm sold, but buyers remorse!

I bought a 734 2 months ago, love it but my room is huge... at a minimum 14' viewing distance, the 80" IS the ticket! I want it!

Anyone in southern CA looking for a barely used 734 with full warranty, PM me!

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/21087193

Interesting, but other sources will yield much different recommendations. THX and SMPTE numbers are quite different. Some are resolution based, others are field of view based. Here is an oft posted link:

viewing distance calculator

Very interesting and useful chart. Thanks.

I should have qualified my original comments and pointed out that this is the visual acuity recommended distance for 1080 viewing. Yes, you can sit closer and get a more expansive experience but.......there is a price to be paid for it - E.g. a softer picture.

Conversely, you can certainly sit further back as well but you will not see all the detail that is in the picture. This all assumes, of course, that you have normal 20-20 vision.

An absurd example would be to sit at the THX recommended distance watching a 480P DVD presentation. It would be so blurry as to be unwatchable as well as eye strain and headache inducing.

I love the big screen experience at home (Duh!) and have a 1080UB Epson projector as well. I watch a 92" screen from about 11.5 feet away and find that very satisfying. I've tried other distances but find the rapidly softening picture too big a sacrifice to move any closer.

#92 ·
I wonder if this noise could be seen when displaying constant grey or color level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/21086540

No, it could not be seen with constant colors or test patterns.

Hmmm, hard to imagine then anything else than content as the source of noise. That would be confirmed by watching computer generated movie like Toy story. Essentailly there is no noise there so there should not be visible noise. If that is the case, the noise origin is from the content and it would mean the display is fine but at this size it also serves as fine enhancer of artefacts.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21092256

Cool update us willya ??

Im no pro reviewer, so I will just give my personal pro's and con's.

Pro's:
  1. HUGE. I sit about 10 feet away and this size is just perfect. Simply epic.
  2. Bright. All my previous panels were plasmas, so this was quite the experience seeing this puppy light up. Whites are stunning.
  3. Colors. Looked great with plenty of pop and wow factor.
  4. Sharpness. Crisp and detailed with no visible DSE. I get that "pristine picture quality" of a quality HDTV with the sheer size approaching that of a projector. Best of both worlds.

Con's
  1. Black Levels. Coming from an all plasma background, the black levels were underwhelming.
  2. Motion. Again, coming from an all plasma background, Im not a big fan of how LCD's handle motion. Lots of bluriness (yes, the noise setting is off).
  3. Uniformity. Some clouding on certain sections of the panel. Only noticeable with a majority black screen (NOT noticeable when there is a 100% black signal, as the screen shuts off).

This is the first time I went through a local dealer with an easy and up-front return policy as, being my first LCD, this was largely experimental. Even with the cons listed above, I am HAPPY and I am keeping it.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik /forum/post/0

Pro's:

[*]HUGE. I sit about 10 feet away and this size is just perfect. Simply epic.[*]Bright. All my previous panels were plasmas, so this was quite the experience seeing this puppy light up. Whites are stunning.[*]Colors. Looked great with plenty of pop and wow factor.[*]Sharpness. Crisp and detailed with no visible DSE. I get that "pristine picture quality" of a quality HDTV with the sheer size approaching that of a projector. Best of both worlds.

Con's

[*]Black Levels. Coming from an all plasma background, the black levels were underwhelming.[*]Motion. Again, coming from an all plasma background, Im not a big fan of how LCD's handle motion. Lots of bluriness (yes, the noise setting is off).[*]Uniformity. Some clouding on certain sections of the panel. Only noticeable with a majority black screen (NOT noticeable when there is a 100% black signal, as the screen shuts off).

This is the first time I went through a local dealer with an easy and up-front return policy as, being my first LCD, this was largely experimental. Even with the cons listed above, I am HAPPY and I am keeping it.

pics please

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik /forum/post/21092288

Pro's:
  2. Bright. All my previous panels were plasmas, so this was quite the experience seeing this puppy light up. Whites are stunning.
  4. Sharpness. Crisp and detailed with no visible DSE. I get that "pristine picture quality" of a quality HDTV with the sheer size approaching that of a projector. Best of both worlds.

Con's
  1. Black Levels. Coming from an all plasma background, the black levels were underwhelming.
  2. Motion. Again, coming from an all plasma background, Im not a big fan of how LCD's handle motion. Lots of bluriness (yes, the noise setting is off).
  3. Uniformity. Some clouding on certain sections of the panel. Only noticeable with a majority black screen (NOT noticeable when there is a 100% black signal, as the screen shuts off).

Did You happen to watch any sports on this set yet? If so how did it perform? I spent the Weekend looking at these at the Local B&M Stores, but none of them had them hooked up to a Live Sporting event.

Rob

#100 ·
Thanks for the review. I am still on the fence. I have one ordered, but I may swap it for the 65" VT30 before delivery. I really, really want the big set, but I am not a big fan of motion blur. Obviously you have decided that the pros out weight the cons, and I appreciate your first-hand opinion. Super low black levels and minor uniformity inconsistency's are not that big of a deal for me, so i guess I have to decide if I can live with a little blur.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik /forum/post/21092288

Pro's:

Con's

How noticeable are reflections? Is the screen glossy? This is my biggest issue with the 70LE732. My older 65" Sharp had a matte surface and no reflections. The new one is not as bad as a Samsung - but I still get very disturbing room reflections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.