AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread

508K views 3K replies 392 participants last post by  BMLocal175 
#1 ·
SHARP UNVEILS WORLD'S LARGEST LED LCD TV

80-inch Model Reinforces Sharp as Industry Leader in Large Flat Panel TVs

09/27/2011

MAHWAH, NJ (September 27, 2011) -- Continuing to build on its leadership in large screen LCD TVs, Sharp today introduced the largest LED LCD TV to date, the 80-inch AQUOS (80-inch diagonal) LC-80LE632U. This new TV is a full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Smart TV, equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and access to apps like Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU as well as Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage Live℠ online support.

"Our 80-inch AQUOS TV delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV, for an amazing viewing experience," said John Herrington, president, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "It's truly like nothing else on the market. Consumers want bigger flat panel TVs for deeper, more immersive viewing experiences and that's exactly what Sharp's delivering here," Herrington continued.

The AQUOS 80-inch LED LCDTV offers stunning picture quality and sleek design. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1. Additionally, the LC-80LE632U employs 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced which virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. At an incredible depth of less than four inches, the new AQUOS 80" is a stylish replacement for similar screen size rear-projection TVs, with depth of almost two feet.

With AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠, Sharp AQUOS Advantage Advisors can remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality.

The LC-80LE632U is the latest expression of Sharp's goal of providing a large screen TV to fit virtually any need or budget. It is the centerpiece to Sharp's large-screen push of 2011, following the release of five Sharp AQUOS 70-inch class TVs, and 10 AQUOS 60-inch class TVs.

The AQUOS LC-80LE632U Television features:

80-inch Class (80-inch diagonal) - more than double the screen area of a 55-inch Class TV;

Smart TV - delivers Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi;

AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠ - a suite of premium connected services featuring the ability for AQUOS Advantage Advisors to remotely assist customers with setup and settings management directly over the Internet, right in the comfort of their own home;

Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel - with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through;

Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between video game consoles and the TV display;

Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV; 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced - for improved fast motion picture quality

LC-80LE632U will be available in early October with an MSRP of $5,499.99 (US).

See less See more
#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyShark /forum/post/21092463

Did You happen to watch any sports on this set yet? If so how did it perform? I spent the Weekend looking at these at the Local B&M Stores, but none of them had them hooked up to a Live Sporting event.

Rob

Sorry, I dont watch cable shows on this panel. Its only for films and gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wolfe /forum/post/21092543

How noticeable are reflections? Is the screen glossy? This is my biggest issue with the 70LE732. My older 65" Sharp had a matte surface and no reflections. The new one is not as bad as a Samsung - but I still get very disturbing room reflections.

Since I have a light controlled environment, reflections are not an issue. However, the screen is more matte-like so it should not be all that reflective in bright environments (dont take my word on this though as I have no way of testing it).

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers /forum/post/21092937

Any chance you can post a full room pic? It looks badass, for sure. Thanks for the pics you've posted so far.

Its a very small room. Was an unfinished basement that we split into a dedicated theater room for myself, and theres a laundry on the other side of the wall.

This is a pic from 2008 during installation (was almost done and had my Pioneer Elite being "broken in" - this is NOT the 80" Sharp, lol). Theres about 3-4 feet of space behind the recliners.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/21093071

TheTonik,

Which plasmas did you have before that had better blacks?

Lets see here...

Pioneer Kuro 6010

Pioneer Kuro Elite 150

Pioneer Kuro Elite 151

Samsung 63c7000

Samsung 64d7000

Also had a few projectors: Panasonic AE4000 and the JVC RS20. Got rid of them since they didn't provide that sharp and "pristine" image that HDTV's can display.

I think thats all of them, lol.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik /forum/post/0

Its a very small room. Was an unfinished basement that we split into a dedicated theater room for myself, and theres a laundry on the other side of the wall.

This is a pic from 2008 during installation (was almost done and had my Pioneer Elite being "broken in" - this is NOT the 80" Sharp, lol). Theres about 3-4 feet of space behind the recliners.

Love all the pics. The more the better of the 80 incher. That thing is unreal.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/21081549

I saw the Sharp 80" LCD TV today at Video only at a price lower than any Internet vendor price I have seen so far. The picture quality was excellent and the size was perfect for watching news, regular TV shows, etc. For movies I still think you need a 110" screen or larger for full effect, which means front projection or expensive home cooked rear projection.

I was also surprised at how good the 55" LG LED TVs were. They looked better than the Samsung models and better than my 3 year old LG LCD TV. You think TVs cannot get any better, but they do. Pixelation, even at close range, is pretty much gone, and sharpness and contrast keep getting better. Too bad my eyesight does not get better with age as well.

At the low price of the Sharp, they should sell allot of them.

Just don't touch the LG Plasma that was at the shootout - came in dead last and was pathetic looking putrid with no blacks compared to the rest of the competition. That was supposed to be LG's best plasma but it truly sucked throughout the shootout.

Those pics are awesome! Congrats!

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash /forum/post/21092467

Thanks for the review. I am still on the fence. I have one ordered, but I may swap it for the 65" VT30 before delivery. I really, really want the big set, but I am not a big fan of motion blur. Obviously you have decided that the pros out weight the cons, and I appreciate your first-hand opinion. Super low black levels and minor uniformity inconsistency's are not that big of a deal for me, so i guess I have to decide if I can live with a little blur.

Motion blur is a very common topic that comes up frequently, particularly when comparing Plasma sets Vs LCDs. From my personal experience, I find that today's LCD's are fast enough that I am seldom, if ever aware of motion smearing or trailing artifacts. Years ago, of course, that wasn't the case when the response times of LCD's was abysmal. There are however, times when it may be visible. One case is rapidly scrolling screen credits and perhaps 60 FPS 720P sportscasts.

In the case of films originally shot at 24 FPS, there is so much blur whenever the camera is moving that the question of motion blur is moot. Just freeze frame a film when blur is detected and you will see that the blur is still there because it is in the film itself. That is actually a good thing because if each frame was crystal clear during motion it would be like watching a strobe. Take a look at the movie Crank or Crank 2 with Jason Statham. This movie for some reason (artistic intent ?) was filmed with high speed shutter and it is pretty hard to look at. Very juddery. 24 FPS needs motion blur to look smooth.

I came across a fascinating article from a very well reputed video Guru, Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, president of DispalyMate, who explains and tests motion blur with a variety of displays including CRT, Plasma, and LCD. An article WELL worth reading......Pay particular attentionto the "Summary and Recommendations" section. Here is the link -

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Respo...e_ShootOut.htm

Cheers!

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag /forum/post/21093363

Motion blur is a very common topic that comes up frequently, particularly when comparing Plasma sets Vs LCDs. From my personal experience, I find that today's LCD's are fast enough that I am seldom, if ever aware of motion smearing or trailing artifacts. Years ago, of course, that wasn't the case when the response times of LCD's was abysmal. There are however, times when it may be visible. One case is rapidly scrolling screen credits and perhaps 60 FPS 720P sportscasts.

In the case of films originally shot at 24 FPS, there is so much blur whenever the camera is moving that the question of motion blur is moot. Just freeze frame a film when blur is detected and you will see that the blur is still there because it is in the film itself. That is actually a good thing because if each frame was crystal clear during motion it would be like watching a strobe. Take a look at the movie Crank or Crank 2 with Jason Statham. This movie for some reason (artistic intent ?) was filmed with high speed shutter and it is pretty hard to look at. Very juddery. 24 FPS needs motion blur to look smooth.

I came across a fascinating article from a very well reputed video Guru, Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, president of DispalyMate, who explains and tests motion blur with a variety of displays including CRT, Plasma, and LCD. An article WELL worth reading......Pay particular attentionto the "Summary and Recommendations" section. Here is the link -

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Respo...e_ShootOut.htm

Cheers!

That was an interesting read. Maybe I am just conditioned to think plasmas look smoother, but to my eyes it sure seems like generally they are smoother. Hmm. I'm leaning towards the 80 incher again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.