AVS Forum banner
14K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  bryansj 
#1 ·
I was wondering what is the best universal remote under 300. I don't know if there is a definitive answer like there is one on plasma tv's.

#27 ·
For only 4 devices, an H1 is overkill and lacks the hard color buttons used extensively with DirecTV. If your heart is set on harmony, a 6xx or 700 would be plenty. You'll need to buy an IR adapter of some kind if they want to use it with the PS3 ($15-$150 depending on level of desired functionality).

The beauty of harmony is you can program it from your place and have your family simply plug in and update on their end. It's very easy to set up and use. You can get them going in just a few minutes. But it usually takes several hours to customize all the buttons and tweak the activities (the software is very clunky). Training goes something like this: "To watch tv, press 'Watch TV'. If something doesn't work, press 'Help' and follow the prompts. To turn everything off, press the power button."

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21095088

For only 4 devices, an H1 is overkill and lacks the hard color buttons used extensively with DirecTV. If your heart is set on harmony, a 6xx or 700 would be plenty. You'll need to buy an IR adapter of some kind if they want to use it with the PS3 ($15-$150 depending on level of desired functionality).

The beauty of harmony is you can program it from your place and have your family simply plug in and update on their end. It's very easy to set up and use. You can get them going in just a few minutes. But it usually takes several hours to customize all the buttons and tweak the activities (the software is very clunky). Training goes something like this: "To watch tv, press 'Watch TV'. If something doesn't work, press 'Help' and follow the prompts. To turn everything off, press the power button."

I agree on the only 4,,But,,you know how it goes,,,when you get the disease
and I might be infecting them

H-1s are the remotes we use for two of our systems, only because of my Wife calling me at work asking the SAME questions over and over

The reason I asked about the H-1 being the G2 remote, is because I've been out of the loop for quite some time, at the time, it was considered the remote to have for those who don't get it, I'm inquiring to find out if there is a new ultimate remote under $300.00.

Never thought about programing at my end, so, I would open a new account on my computer and they would have access to it from their home computer?

I'm looking for the KISS version so I won't be bothered, which is why I like having the "To watch TV, press 'Watch TV' commands.

HH

#29 ·
All harmonys work essentially the same (except the 200/300/Link), so going for the "ultimate" is overkill. I suppose the 900/1100 is considered the "ultimate" harmony these days since it's RF. If you insist on spending $300 and don't really care about functionality, go for the 900. If you're comfortable with the One and want room to grow, then you may as well get another. But the 700 works essentially the same for a fraction of the cost. It has a little less screen real estate and fewer devices (8 if you use myharmony.com). The harmony line up is so broad you can pay for only what you need without getting the top end model.

Whatever account you set up for the new remote, so long as all parties know the login, it can be accessed from anywhere since all the config is stored on harmony's servers, not on the remote. I've managed my family's harmonys for years this way from hundreds of miles away.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21095488

All harmonys work essentially the same (except the 200/300/Link), so going for the "ultimate" is overkill. I suppose the 900/1100 is considered the "ultimate" harmony these days since it's RF. If you insist on spending $300 and don't really care about functionality, go for the 900. If you're comfortable with the One and want room to grow, then you may as well get another. But the 700 works essentially the same for a fraction of the cost. It has a little less screen real estate and fewer devices (8 if you use myharmony.com). The harmony line up is so broad you can pay for only what you need without getting the top end model.

Whatever account you set up for the new remote, so long as all parties know the login, it can be accessed from anywhere since all the config is stored on harmony's servers, not on the remote. I've managed my family's harmonys for years this way from hundreds of miles away.

Thanks for the excellent advice, I'll check into harmony's site.-->

HH

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman /forum/post/21094481

I recently switched from Harmony remotes in my HT and living room. I am using this one, URC-RFS200 , in my living room and this one, ARRX18G , in my HT. I too was a little worried about programing but if you read and follow the instructions it is pretty easy. The RF of the URC is rock solid if you require such a feature. The AR has PC software to assist in programing and offers more than enough features and flexibility to satisfy your needs. Google for best prices. I would recommend these for anyone looking for a good inexpensive remote, good luck.

Thanks.

I'm worried about software/product code updates w/ a URC if I buy it online. I found a B&M store locally that is an authorized dealer and does internet sales as well. I need to call them to confirm they offer free or affordable updates. I see everyone on Amazon, etc. complaining about it being a one time deal, meaning almost nonexistent support/updates if not bought from an authorized dealer.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21094593

Your examples look like 2 sequences to me. You just happen to be changing 2 setting while in the setup menus. However, you probably don't have to go through all of that on a universal remote. I don't know what receiver you have, but settings like dyn vol and midnight usually have discrete commands. Just because they aren't on your remote doesn't mean they don't exist. So in your examples, each setting would most likely be a single command, with no need to dig into the menus at all. If you post your receiver model, I can tell you for sure.

If it turns out you really do need the whole sequence, they can probably be rolled into activities. My guess is you don't change these settings several times inside an activity. You probably decide before hand whether you want dyn vol on or off. In that case, just make activities "Watch Movie Dyn Vol On" and "Watch Movie Dyn Vol Off". So there are still several solutions to get about any good universal working for your setup.

My favorite universal remotes aren't even on your radar but are very inexpensive and can do all you ask. So you may want to consider those as well. The cheapest is JP1 ($20 remote + $30 programming interface), and next is Xsight Touch ($50) that bguzman suggested. JP1 is very powerful and fast, but lacks an LCD, which is a deal breaker for many. The Xsight is a much better remote than the 700 or similarly priced URC, even better in some respects than a $250 900, like having practically unlimited macros. But unlike harmony, Xsight lacks state tracking. JP1 and higher end URCs do state tracking (JP1 is limited to 8 states it can track). But if your devices have discrete power and input commands, this is a non-issue.

To answer your other question, it's impossible to work pauses into a hacked sequence on an 1100, but they're no problem if you put them in an activity. The Xsight, JP1, and higher end URCs, can handle variable length pauses fine in any macro step.

So before you decide we need to determine if those discrete commands for dyn vol and midnight exist, possibly eliminating the need for your long sequences.

Thanks for taking the time to help me...

I see your point if there's a single command to get there, each might be considered a separate sequence, one for activating dynamic volume and one for which setting (midnight).

my receiver is: Denon AVR-3310CI

I'll check out the suggested remotes. I'm open for anything.

#33 ·
The harmony database does indeed have all DynVol discretes, so you won't need sequences for those. Here are all the harmony commands for your receiver:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ChLevel
DirectionDown
DirectionLeft
DirectionRight
DirectionUp
DynamicEq
DynamicEQVolAllOff
DynamicEQVolEvening
DynamicEQVolMidnight
DynamicEQVolToggle
DynamicVolume
DynamiEQVolOn
Enter
InputCd(InputCD)
InputDtu
InputDvd
InputDvr
InputHdp
InputiPod
InputMode
InputNet/Usb
InputPhono
InputSat/Cbl
InputSatTu
InputTuner
InputTv
InputV-Aux
InputVcr
iPodNextTrack
iPodPause
iPodPlay
iPodPreviousTrack
iPodStop
Menu
ModeCinema
ModeDirect/Stereo
ModeMusic
ModePure
ModeSimu
ModeStandard
MultiEq
Mute
Party
PowerOff
PowerOff-MainZone
PowerOn
PowerOn-MainZone
PresetNext
PresetPrev
QuickSelect1
QuickSelect2
QuickSelect3
RestorerMode
Return
Search
Sleep
SourceSelect
Speaker
TuneDown
TunerBand
TunerMemory
TunerMode
TunerPreset1
TunerPreset2
TunerPreset3
TunerPreset4
TunerPreset5
TunerPreset6
TunerPreset7
TunerPreset8
TunerPreset9
TunerShift
TunerShiftBankA
TunerShiftBankB
TunerShiftBankC
TunerShiftBankE
TunerShiftBankF
TunerShiftBankG
TuneUp
VideoSelect
VolumeDown
VolumeUp

Of course these (and many more) can be added to any remote that takes pronto hex, or you could add them to a $10 JP1 remote and teach them to any other remote.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21096598

The harmony database does indeed have all DynVol discretes, so you won't need sequences for those.

Of course these (and many more) can be added to any remote that takes pronto hex, or you could add them to a $10 JP1 remote and teach them to any other remote.

Wow! That's incredible... thanks for finding this.

I'll check the other remotes you and "bugz" suggested, but maybe I should just get a Harmony and not have to worry. Although I might figure out some sequences I'd like to create in the future, but if I can just create them as activities on a Harmony, I should be fine. ...and no worry about product updates from URC.

thanks again!

#35 ·
Harmony will be the easiest to set up since the codes you need are already there. The others, including URC, will take some work tracking down and importing the codes. For harmony, check out the Chart link in my signature and find the model that has the right number of devices and is rechargeable (probably the 700).

Good luck

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21096692

Harmony will be the easiest to set up since the codes you need are already there. The others, including URC, will take some work tracking down and importing the codes. For harmony, check out the Chart link in my signature and find the model that has the right number of devices and is rechargeable (probably the 700).

Good luck

cool thanks again... I think 700 might be the best way to go for me at this point.

#37 ·
I recently brought a Harmony 1100, and have been using Xsight RF remote too. Can i use both the remotes togather with RF option?.. I mean not at the same time.. but having the Harmony Remote mounted on the side table, while using Xsight for changing channels and volume?

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmanritter /forum/post/21096711

cool thanks again... I think 700 might be the best way to go for me at this point.

I will say that I have had a lot of problems with two harmony 700s and that funky cable they use for charging. My dad has had nothing but problems with the charging circuits in harmony ones. Personally I think the 650 is a better option with some good batteries ... R50 is probably a better option but now we are getting into opinion.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc /forum/post/21096839

I will say that I have had a lot of problems with two harmony 700s and that funky cable they use for charging. My dad has had nothing but problems with the charging circuits in harmony ones. Personally I think the 650 is a better option with some good batteries ... R50 is probably a better option but now we are getting into opinion.

The early versions of the H-1 had a cradle issue (not seating properly) the later ones have no charging issues related to the cradle, I have two, no issues.

HH

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc /forum/post/21096839

Since the 700 uses regular AA rechargeables, you could always take them out to charge if you had to. I never had any problems, but I only recharged mine every few months (I kept my backlight time really short).

Holyindian, no problem using both so long as both blasters/remotes can reach your devices.

#41 ·
I just bought and programed the Harmony One to control 61" Hitachi rear projector, Denon 5803 receiver, Denon 2010ci DVD/SACD, Directv HD64 box. All effective, very intuitive. Won't however work to control the Wii (obvious reasons) but will probably work for a PS3.

On sale @ SEARS for $163.00

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEENSTER /forum/post/21098695

I just bought and programed the Harmony One to control 61" Hitachi rear projector, Denon 5803 receiver, Denon 2010ci DVD/SACD, Directv HD64 box. All effective, very intuitive. Won't however work to control the Wii (obvious reasons) but will probably work for a PS3.

On sale @ SEARS for $163.00

For your PS3 you'll need an IR converter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1318737#others

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian /forum/post/21096713

I recently brought a Harmony 1100, and have been using Xsight RF remote too. Can i use both the remotes togather with RF option?.. I mean not at the same time.. but having the Harmony Remote mounted on the side table, while using Xsight for changing channels and volume?

I can confirm that Xsight and Harmony 1100 works perfectly well togather.

I have the rf extender for both xsight and harmony both side by side on the gadgets, and they work well.

#47 ·
Wow, what a boatload of talent and expertise here!

I have a Denon 3310

Panasonic Viera Plasma Viera 50 inch (2011)

Panasonic Viera Blu Ray Player (2011)

JVC CD Player (2002)

Time Warner Cable HD Cable Box.

Just want to go from 5 remotes to 1. Would Harmony 600 suffice, or 700? 600 seems to be priced well ($35-$40).

Thanks.

#48 ·
All have at least 5 devices and have the same device database and config software. So the 600 would suffice. It comes down to your personal preference for the features below, and budget.

600 has a black and white LCD

650 adds a color LCD

700 adds 1 to 3 devices depending on software and a rechargeable battery and charger

For more details check out the Chart link in my signature.

#49 ·
Thanks. One more question, anyone experience the Nstinct X10 with the goofy-looking website? Seems too good to be true, especially if it's RF capable...at least it says the signal will go through cabinet doors, glass doors, etc. Priced at around $30-$40.

#51 ·
You need more specific requirements than the "best". The URC WR7 is a very good remote for $20 that may satisfy most of your requirements (if we knew what those were). I'm a fan of JP1 remotes. They have extremely sophisticated programming capabilities, free software, free support, unlimited devices and macro length, state tracking and more. They typically cost around $15, and require an optional cable for PC/Mac/Linux programming. The URC RF20 is another good low cost option. Around your price point the MX-450 is a good option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.