AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread

508K views 3K replies 392 participants last post by  BMLocal175 
#1 ·
SHARP UNVEILS WORLD'S LARGEST LED LCD TV

80-inch Model Reinforces Sharp as Industry Leader in Large Flat Panel TVs

09/27/2011

MAHWAH, NJ (September 27, 2011) -- Continuing to build on its leadership in large screen LCD TVs, Sharp today introduced the largest LED LCD TV to date, the 80-inch AQUOS (80-inch diagonal) LC-80LE632U. This new TV is a full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Smart TV, equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and access to apps like Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU as well as Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage Live℠ online support.

"Our 80-inch AQUOS TV delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV, for an amazing viewing experience," said John Herrington, president, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "It's truly like nothing else on the market. Consumers want bigger flat panel TVs for deeper, more immersive viewing experiences and that's exactly what Sharp's delivering here," Herrington continued.

The AQUOS 80-inch LED LCDTV offers stunning picture quality and sleek design. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1. Additionally, the LC-80LE632U employs 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced which virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. At an incredible depth of less than four inches, the new AQUOS 80" is a stylish replacement for similar screen size rear-projection TVs, with depth of almost two feet.

With AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠, Sharp AQUOS Advantage Advisors can remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality.

The LC-80LE632U is the latest expression of Sharp's goal of providing a large screen TV to fit virtually any need or budget. It is the centerpiece to Sharp's large-screen push of 2011, following the release of five Sharp AQUOS 70-inch class TVs, and 10 AQUOS 60-inch class TVs.

The AQUOS LC-80LE632U Television features:

80-inch Class (80-inch diagonal) - more than double the screen area of a 55-inch Class TV;

Smart TV - delivers Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi;

AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠ - a suite of premium connected services featuring the ability for AQUOS Advantage Advisors to remotely assist customers with setup and settings management directly over the Internet, right in the comfort of their own home;

Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel - with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through;

Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between video game consoles and the TV display;

Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV; 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced - for improved fast motion picture quality

LC-80LE632U will be available in early October with an MSRP of $5,499.99 (US).

See less See more
#178 ·
Wow and i want a 90 inch to replace my front projector screen which is only 92.

The lcd world here is so different here on this part of the forum. Your embarassed your tv looks so big? People in the projector area would tell me a tv even at 80inch is to small compared to 92.

*confused*

Also is anyone familiar with highpower screens, is the drop off as bad off axis as a highpower projector screen? My highpower has amazing gain, but if i move 2-3 feet to the side the brightness drops off quite a bit. I dont know if lcd is that bad??

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21117736

easy, he saw an out of the box tv with no settings probably showing a feed that was split a 100 times over. Translation: Does no one any good to even post comments like that other than to show how badly BB presents its tv's

It is a digitally modulated signal transmitted over coax. The split would have no effect unless signal was low, which would be very apparent. While there are some source issues on some of the clips, the PQ isn't that bad. Also, as these are displayed only in Magnolia stores, there should be a direcTV feed available.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile /forum/post/21118577

It is a digitally modulated signal transmitted over coax. The split would have no effect unless signal was low, which would be very apparent. While there are some source issues on some of the clips, the PQ isn't that bad. Also, as these are displayed only in Magnolia stores, there should be a direcTV feed available.

Went to the Mag store at Pittsburgh Mills - here's a shot of the 80 running the Quattron demo disc..Very good color in auto mode out of the box. Next time I go in to eval the set, I'll play around with the settings...

I was looking at the 70 inch to replace my Mits 65" DLP, but the 80 would actually fit. Slightly wider and taller than the Mits. A heck of a lot thinner.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/21118390

Also is anyone familiar with highpower screens, is the drop off as bad off axis as a highpower projector screen? My highpower has amazing gain, but if i move 2-3 feet to the side the brightness drops off quite a bit. I dont know if lcd is that bad??

It's not as bad as a projector, and it's not brightness that drops, it's certain colors, leaving a heavy cyan push. I had to reorganize my furniture to minimize the off-axis dropoff lol.

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21119809

Friend of mine just bought one. Which wall mount have you used? Will the Sanus Systems LL11-B1 work?

The mounting pattern is 400(h) x 600(w) so you should be good based on the technical illustration on the Sanus site. Also, this mount will support up to 150lbs., where-as the TV is 123-ish.

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error Occurred /forum/post/21123043

Does anyone have any experience with gaming on this set? I'm considering this TV, but acceptable input lag is a must.

The size of the TV does not impact lag and it carries the same game mode as other Sharps and so they would apply to this TV data flow has no impact because of the size of the TV being larger. Check input lag from other Sharps using Vipre Drive Game Mode - I never had lag issues on any of the 3 Sharps I owned dating back 7 years.

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21119809

Friend of mine just bought one. Which wall mount have you used? Will the Sanus Systems LL11-B1 work?

I just picked up a (8588 part number) swiveling tilting wall bracket from Monoprice. Although it only spec's up to a 60" TV, it is rated for 175 Lbs. I installed it on my wall yesterday and was hanging of it fully extended (about 20" out from wall) and it barely flexed. I'm 180 Lbs. Great quality at the insane price of $44. I've bought from them for the last 5 Years and am still amazed at the high quality stuff they sell for far less than retail stores. I would put this bracket up against anything from the big box stores at $300 or so.

Here's the link:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Here's the basic spec's:

Will fit most large flat panel plasma and LCD TVs with mounting patterns up to VESA 750x450.

*Mounting holes on television should be 30" or less apart horizontally & 18.75" or less apart vertically.

Maximum weight capacity: 175lbs

As the Sharp "only" weighs 122 Lbs and has a VESA 600 x 400 bolt pattern, I think this bracket will be ideal.

Beware though, this bracket is designed for 16" spacing between studs so make sure you have that or are prepared to do some wall surgery, as I did.

I'm getting my set on Friday so I'll let everyone know what my opinion is of the set and the bracket.

Cheers

#201 ·

I just picked up a (8588 part number) swiveling tilting wall bracket from Monoprice. Although it only spec's up to a 60" TV, it is rated for 175 Lbs. ......

Here's the link:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

I'm getting my set on Friday so I'll let everyone know what my opinion is of the set and the bracket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got my set yesterday and had it mounted on my new 8588 bracket. Very disappointed. Lots of flex on the mounting plate (the one nearest the TV) and the angle holding screws barely hold. I'll be looking for another bracket. I may forego the swivelling aspect if it will give me a more solid mount. Any suggestions from anyone yet?

I played with the set last night. By no means finished yet but I do have some preliminary observations.......

Black level as stated by Chad is GREAT! No need for dynamic backlighting with this set unless you're maybe watching it in a pitch black room.

No cloudy or corner light issues unless your too close to the set creating an excessive angle to the far side of the screen.

My trusty WattMizer gave me some incredibly frugal readings with this set.

With OPC off and backlight centered at Zero, consumption was a steady 130 Watts which equated to 28.50 per year at 6 Hrs a day / $0.10/KWH.

At the backlight setting of -5, good for a darkened room at night (scale is -16 to +16) consumption is 109 Watts at the same settings which works out to 24.00/Yr under the same conditions.

At FULL +16 backlighting the pictures is blazingly bright (very uncomfortable to watch) but the power consumption still only goes up to 200 Watts which would be $44/Yr at the same 6 Hrs per day and 10 cents per KWH.

I found the default Contrast setting at 32 crushes the whites. I reduced it to 28 and that seems to work well for now.

I haven't quite figured out the Black level yet. A lot of dark detail seems to get lost. I tried increasing the Brightness level but at anything over +1 it raised the black floor overall so I left it at +1.

Haven't played with the color settings yet but Gray shades look neutral to me so it hasn't been a priority.

The Gamma seems to be a little high at the default setting (Movie - OPC and most of the other stuff turned off) so I'm using the +2 gamma setting (brightens mid-tones) for now and that seems to help.

No visible smearing or trailing artifacts were noticed in normal TV and movie viewing. I'm sitting about 11 feet back and I would consider that the sweet spot. Pixar's Monsters Inc. and Toy Story 3 looked fabulous - an immense amount of detail and absolutely clean. I dare say that you get a better experience watching a movie on this set (assuming you're watching from the optimum seating location) than a typical movie theatre.

Off angle viewing is not great though (typical for LCD). The picture loses contrast rapidly starting at something like maybe 25 degrees or so. Colors don't seem to change though.

Overall, I'm really happy with the set so far. The pluses far outweigh the few typical LCD minuses. Here's a couple of pictures. Haven't sorted out all my components yet so pardon the wire mess.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman2 /forum/post/21122863

Can anyone recommend a good installer and/or calibrator in Houston, just purchased the set from Cleveland Plasma. Expecting delivery early next week.

I think you can find what you need here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

UMR is based in Sugarland and is excellent -- I've used his services myself. Don't know if he's still in the business or not, however.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt /forum/post/21125274

I think you can find what you need here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

UMR is based in Sugarland and is excellent -- I've used his services myself. Don't know if he's still in the business or not, however.

Jeff (UMR) is still in business. I just sent him an e-mail yesterday. Jeff has very nice calibrating equipment to say the least. He did my Samsung PN64D8000 this past July.

Is Sugarland in Texas? If so, Jeff is now in I believe Arkansas but he still travels.

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21125292

Jeff (UMR) is still in business. I just sent him an e-mail yesterday. Jeff has very nice calibrating equipment to say the least. He did my Samsung PN64D8000 this past July.

Is Sugarland in Texas? If so, Jeff is now in I believe Arkansas but he still travels.

Sugarland is outside of Houston. I didn't know he had moved (why would I?). It's definitely worth getting on his schedule when he's in town.

#193 ·
I currently have an 8 year old Sony KP65 and am ready to upgrade to LCD and a larger size. I am impressed with the Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U but would hate to buy one now, only to see an upgraded version with Quattron, AquoMotion 240 and 3D come along in a few months.

Does anyone know Sharp's release plans for these features on the 80 incher?

Also, has anyone heard a rumor of a 90 inch model in the works?

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPHunt /forum/post/21138020

I currently have an 8 year old Sony KP65 and am ready to upgrade to LCD and a larger size. I am impressed with the Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U but would hate to buy one now, only to see an upgraded version with Quattron, AquoMotion 240 and 3D come along in a few months.

Does anyone know Sharp's release plans for these features on the 80 incher?

Also, has anyone heard a rumor of a 90 inch model in the works?

I will be surprised if Sharp doesn't release a 80" with Quattron, 240hz, and 3D in 2012. This is the TV I'll be getting

As for 90", it's hard to say. I'm guessing no because no other company can even produce 70" in acceptable quantity / price as of now.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 /forum/post/21093566

Because 3D is a (dumb) fad that is SO 2010. It's over. Trust me. Nobody wants to wear dorky glasses at home. Back to size and picture quality.

Could not agree more, and I have a 3d capable projector for my dedicated theater room.

Which is why the 65" plasma has now gravitated to the bedroom, and the 80" Sharp is what hangs in its place. Chad, you know the drill. I'll contact you soon.

By the way, the room in which the Sharp hangs has a Sony STRDA-5400ES receiver for audio. Am getting the remote and the manual out to get rid of the horrible lip-synch issues that developed with the Sharp, mostly on 1080p material, Blu-ray, and 1080p satellite. The Sony manual indicates that adjustments to implement necessary delays are there. Will get around to it this weekend, hopefully.

Thanks,

Nick

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo /forum/post/0

Could not agree more, and I have a 3d capable projector for my dedicated theater room.

Which is why the 65" plasma has now gravitated to the bedroom, and the 80" Sharp is what hangs in its place. Chad, you know the drill. I'll contact you soon.

By the way, the room in which the Sharp hangs has a Sony STRDA-5400ES receiver for audio. Am getting the remote and the manual out to get rid of the horrible lip-synch issues that developed with the Sharp, mostly on 1080p material, Blu-ray, and 1080p satellite. The Sony manual indicates that adjustments to implement necessary delays are there. Will get around to it this weekend, hopefully.

Thanks,

Nick

hope u caught the HH Gregg sale price ;-)

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21140372

hope u caught the HH Gregg sale price ;-)

Sure did. Which is really the most interesting thing about all this. If Sharp could afford to let these go for just under $4k--though I believe that deal is now not available--I just don't see any of the other manufacturers being able to compete unless they do likewise.

The set I really lusted for was the 85" Panasonic Plasma, but not at $30,000, not even at half that amount. But until this got released, it took dollars in those areas to get to this size in a flat panel.

All that has now changed, and by a company that can boast world class credentials in video.

Now, I'm beginning to think that my wall space might be perfect with one of those 103" Panasonic Plasmas. That's been hovering at around $50,000 retail for a few years, but who knows, now?

It's only fair. The value of our homes has taken a hit like crazy over the last few years, so at least we should be able to pay lots less for giant television sets.

Thanks,

Nick

#198 ·
So I got my 734 back in August, set it up, loved it!!! Then Sharp had to turn around and release an 80". I have a large room and am at least 15' from the screen so the bigger the better!

Put my 734 up for sale, took a hit and got the 80LE632U today. WOW!!! It is huge and, while I haven't adjusted much of anything, yet, it looks great! I will say this, "Quatron me later!!!" This set lacks the infamous 4th pixel and the colors are MUCH better for it!!!

Example, big hockey fan and watching a Sharks game (NOT a Sharks fan) and the teal on the 734 was not good. On the new set, with NO calibration or changes, it was spot on! Not to mention the game looks huge and enveloping!!!

Loving it so far, can't wait to tweak the settings this weekend!!!

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK20 /forum/post/21141154

So I got my 734 back in August, set it up, loved it!!! Then Sharp had to turn around and release an 80". I have a large room and am at least 15' from the screen so the bigger the better!

Put my 734 up for sale, took a hit and got the 80LE632U today. WOW!!! It is huge and, while I haven't adjusted much of anything, yet, it looks great! I will say this, "Quatron me later!!!" This set lacks the infamous 4th pixel and the colors are MUCH better for it!!!

Example, big hockey fan and watching a Sharks game (NOT a Sharks fan) and the teal on the 734 was not good. On the new set, with NO calibration or changes, it was spot on! Not to mention the game looks huge and enveloping!!!

Loving it so far, can't wait to tweak the settings this weekend!!!

I'm in about the same exact boat. I have a dedicated Theater Room of sorts. I just purchased the 70" 733 from costco, and sit here wondering what the 80" would look like and more specifically what he Sharks would look like on this set "I'm a huge Sharks fan". Anyhow I was swayed to the 733 because of the 240 AquoMotion and wasn't sure what a Hockey game would look like on the 80" 120 set. I have 90 Days to bring it back to Costco, so hopefully they get the big boy in before the 90 Days is up.

#200 ·
Wondered if someone with the 80LE632 could post their picture settings?

I tried those posted in this form, didn't like them but had better luck with the 732 settings posted in the 735 forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.