AVS Forum banner

Blue Velvet on Blu with "lost" scenes

7K views 69 replies 31 participants last post by  Matt_Stevens 
#1 ·
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman /forum/post/19905138

From what Lynch said in the interview, I don't have the impression that the deleted scenes will be "restored" to the film.

If I had to guess, I'd bet they'll be separate deleted scenes.

I'll bet you are right. David Lynch had final cut on Blue Velvet so the theatrical version is just as he wanted it.

I read his first cut was somewhere around four hours long so there should be plenty of material and subplots for an interesting Blu-ray extra.

#7 ·
Lynch has had final cut on all of his movies from Blue Velvet forward. Thus far, he's been resistant to the notion of adding footage back into his older movies. But, considering his artistic decline in recent years, it's hard to say what he'll choose to do now.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/19939009

Lynch has had final cut on all of his movies from Blue Velvet forward. Thus far, he's been resistant to the notion of adding footage back into his older movies. But, considering his artistic decline in recent years, it's hard to say what he'll choose to do now.

If you read that interview segment re: the BLUE VELVET deleted scenes, you'll see that Mr. Lynch never mentions "adding footage back". Rather, he mentions that some of the scenes themselves on their own are interesting. I think it's pretty clear his intention is to present them as deleted scenes on their own.

Also, I respectably disagree that there has been any "artistic decline" in Mr. Lynch's filmmaking output.

Vincent

#17 ·
is the new cut from the regular release or is it going to be a special release?

#18 ·
PFFT. Inland Empire is one of the most wonderful film experiences I have ever had. Anybody throwing that film away as nothing short of great I don't even want to hear their opinions on film and that is pretty much that.

Empire is quite easily Lynch's most groundbreaking film since Eraserhead and the full culmination of his desire to project our conscious and unconscious lives on screen that started to take absolute direction with Mulholland Drive. Taking the fact of the camera changes and the script changes alone it's eerie to think the film turned out as great as it did. Any other mode of construction would have ruined the film. The newfound lease of creativity without the load of film crews basically put Lynch into his best kind of mode in making film. He always seemed more hampered by these things in parts of his other films and at this point I doubt he would go back. He's probably waiting for technology to catch up if anything before he dives back into 'film'.

I am not sure anybody but a feeble minded fool would say anything like IE is bad movie outright. Blue Velvet doesn't hold near the love I have for films such as even The Straight Story. Blue Velvet is easily his most overrated film. I like it but have never quite understood the reasoning behind it's AAA status over pretty much everything else on his menu.

I get that people have different opinions on Lynch but in decline? Really? Like the myriad reviews and opinions on every film and their creator I don't understand the people with these inane comments. In decline in your opinion would be the better statement. Without any real tangible thoughts beyond the ridiculous statement it's pretty hard to take seriously.

I love how people who probably are not artists themselves in any way love to throw this stuff around like it's some sort of innate truth. Art is not something that is easy to create. In a society that pretty much loves indulging in anything but true artistic vision I think we should be thankful people like this even make movies anymore.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/21144487

Ahhh, so that's why I have khronikos on ignore.

Lol. I don't understand why because you didn't state anything beyond a smiley wink and the inference? that you don't like me responding to absurd comments for whatever strange reason? I replied with a few paragraphs to what I consider a quite ridiculous opinion of Lynch. That is all.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos /forum/post/21148011

Lol. I don't understand why because you didn't state anything beyond a smiley wink and the inference?

I think his point was that the 'value' of your comments was doing an excellent job of speaking for itself.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller /forum/post/21149704

Did Lynch airbrush some more some censorship because an out of work, c level actress, asked him to on Blue Velvet?

I don't know... maybe if you could be a little more specific, we could investigate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.