AVS Forum banner

New Girl on FOX HD

37K views 473 replies 79 participants last post by  vfxproducer 
#1 ·
Pilot is on iTunes now. Will hit Hulu on Sept 13th. Early reviews are not so good.

#78 ·

Quote:
Zooey Deschanel's New Girl has only aired three episodes, but Fox is already giving it a breather to prop up Simon Cowell. The Futon Critic reports that Fox has pulled the next two episodes of New Girl in order to expand The X Factor from 90 minutes to a full two hours, and since the network had long planned to preempt the October 25 New Girl for X Factor, that means that Zooey & Co. will be off for three weeks and won't return until November.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment..._new_girl.html

#80 ·
TV Notes
Why Fox’s Decision to Bench New Girl Until November Is a Good Thing

By Josef Adalian, New York Magazine's 'Vulture' Blog - October 11th, 2011

Last night we told you that Fox's fall hit New Girl would be off the air until November, prompting some head-scratching among those in the I Heart Zooey Club. "Just when the show was finding its footing, Fox gives the audience the chance to forget all about it? This is how good shows die," fumed Jess lover PDX in the comments of the post. Well, simmah down, people: Fox isn't trying to kill its adorkable golden goose. Indeed, the fact that the show won't be on the air for a spell is actually the clearest evidence yet that Fox feels it's found a new long-term comedy player.

First, a bit of background: Things were always going to be bumpy for New Girl in October. That's because Fox is blessed/cursed with having the rights to the baseball playoffs, which can be a boon when there's a seven game World Series featuring the Yankees or Red Sox, but usually just serves to completely muck up the network's autumnal schedule. Just weeks after much-hyped premieres, the network forever finds itself preempting and juggling new and existing hits in order to make room for bats and balls, which makes building momentum for shows tough. Last year, for example, the network only aired one episode of Glee between October 13 and November 9. Headed into this season, New Girl faced a similar struggle. Tonight's episode, for example, was always going to be preempted because of baseball. Ditto the Tuesday, October 25 episode: Fox said months ago that it would air a two-and-a-half-hour episode of The X Factor on this night, since the show's usual slots that week could be displaced by possible Games 6 and 7 of the World Series.

But here's where things got confused. Headed into the fall, Fox programmers fretted that their fragile New Girl might suffer from an extended baseball-induced hiatus, and so they hatched a scheme to air the show outside of its normal 9 p.m. Tuesday slot. This week was to have seen an episode run Wednesday at 9:30 p.m., right behind X Factor. And next Tuesday, Fox was going to bump Girl from its usual spot at 9 p.m. to 9:30, displacing Raising Hope and allowing a baseball-bumped X to air from 8 to 9:30 p.m. that night. Would this have been a little confusing to viewers just starting to make New Girl a post-Glee habit? Possibly. But since most preseason prognosticators had X being a much bigger Nielsen performer than New Girl, the thinking was that these out-of-pattern episodes would have exposed millions of X viewers to the fledgling comedy, while also keeping the show in viewers' minds.

Things changed once it became clear that New Girl was an out-of-the-box hit (and, indeed, a bigger draw with young viewers than X Factor). Suddenly, the show didn't need any boost from Simon & Co. What's more, because viewers clearly knew where to find New Girl, having it pop up on other nights and in other slots risked confusing fans about its whereabouts. Plus, from a PR point of view, nothing good would have come from pop-up broadcasts of New Girl: With X an arguably less compatible lead-in than Glee, there's a good chance New Girl would've ended up earning lower ratings with its special broadcasts. "Why do you want to give reporters a chance to write about New Girl declining in the ratings?" one executive from a rival network told Vulture. Plus, as the wag points out, Fox will now have two more original episodes of New Girl to air in the show's normal 9 p.m. slot, which means fewer repeats later in the season.

But what about the argument that simply not airing New Girl for three weeks might slow down its momentum? Well, it's worth looking at what happened two years ago, when Fox preempted the red hot and new Glee for three weeks in the fall for baseball: After averaging 7.1 million viewers on October 21, it attracted 7.5 million gleeks upon its November 11 return. Is it too late to book Gwyneth Paltrow for New Girl's next new episode on November 1?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...cision_to.html

#81 ·
So, there's a long history of show's dying on FOX because of the October baseball pre-emption, yet somehow it's GOOD for New Girl that it's being pre-empted instead of moved around, all because GLEE turned out to be a hit show under the same circumstances?

Also, when a show airs is meaningless today, with DVR sereies/season passes and Hulu.

Not sure this logic is working on me. New Girl is just getting started. I think FOX punted on this one to worry about it later.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish /forum/post/21071363

So, there's a long history of show's dying on FOX because of the October baseball pre-emption, yet somehow it's GOOD for New Girl that it's being pre-empted instead of moved around, all because GLEE turned out to be a hit show under the same circumstances?

Also, when a show airs is meaningless today, with DVR sereies/season passes and Hulu.

Not sure this logic is working on me. New Girl is just getting started. I think FOX punted on this one to worry about it later.

Kinda hard to DVR a show when there's a sporting event on that night with no concrete finish time.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21071855

Kinda hard to DVR a show when there's a sporting event on that night with no concrete finish time.

yep, have my dvr programmed to record all new eps of new girl as well as all mlb playoff games. so far my dvr has only picked up ep 2 which aired at midnight sunday.

i will be patient as there will be reruns, but now that i've bought into the show it is a little frustrating.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21071855

It's even harder when the sporting event wasn't even scheduled..

#85 ·
I am really trying to like this show, since I like Zooey, so I am trying to put my finger on why the characters, to me at least, are more annoying than funny.

The loveable buffoon is a time honored comedic vehicle. Equal parts verbal, situational and physical comedy has worked forever. But, thinking back, most, if not all of the past buffoons have had a strong character supporting him or her: Gilligan had the Skipper; Barney Fife had Andy; Jethro Bodine had Jed, Homer had Marge. Even if it's an opposite foil it works, like Alan Harper's Charlie. But it seems that everyone in the New Girl is an idiot, loveable or not. (This is the same reason why Ashton for Charlie doesn't work.)

I will not give up on the show. Maybe I just have to be in the right frame of mind when I watch.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis /forum/post/21075721

Gilligan had the Skipper; Barney Fife had Andy; Jethro Bodine had Jed, Homer had Marge. Even if it's an opposite foil it works, like Alan Harper's Charlie. But it seems that everyone in the New Girl is an idiot, loveable or not. (This is the same reason why Ashton for Charlie doesn't work.)

Well, exactly. A show full of nothing but Gilligans wouldn't be very interesting. On a related note, this show could use more Gingers.

#87 ·

Quote:

I am really trying to like this show, since I like Zooey, so I am trying to put my finger on why the characters, to me at least, are more annoying than funny.

I think it's the writing. They are way too much caricatures than characters. Idiot wise the ballplayer has game.

#88 ·

Quote:

The loveable buffoon is a time honored comedic vehicle. Equal parts verbal, situational and physical comedy has worked forever. But, thinking back, most, if not all of the past buffoons have had a strong character supporting him or her: Gilligan had the Skipper; Barney Fife had Andy; Jethro Bodine had Jed, Homer had Marge. Even if it's an opposite foil it works, like Alan Harper's Charlie. But it seems that everyone in the New Girl is an idiot, loveable or not. (This is the same reason why Ashton for Charlie doesn't work.)

I will not give up on the show. Maybe I just have to be in the right frame of mind when I watch.

me too. but give it some time. most successful sitcoms struggle through

their first season as the writers try to figure out what and who works and what and who don't. the characters develop as the writers refine their scripts and see who can pull it off.

my oiwn suggestions would be to start introducing new characters in episodes

to see if they can find someone to be a supporting character for zooey.

this is exactly the formula that parks and rec used. struggle through first season then develop supporting characters with eccentricities and let it fly.

now its the funniest sitcom around

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/21076266

....this is exactly the formula that parks and rec used. struggle through first season then develop supporting characters with eccentricities and let it fly.

I agree but I was able to stick through P&R, not the same for NG where I couldn't take it. Maybe if it's still around next season I may return and if I really get into it I may try watching this season. Don't get me wrong Zooey is quite the draw
but this show just doesn't have anything else for me.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/21076266

me too. but give it some time. most successful sitcoms struggle through

their first season as the writers try to figure out what and who works and what and who don't. the characters develop as the writers refine their scripts and see who can pull it off.

my oiwn suggestions would be to start introducing new characters in episodes

to see if they can find someone to be a supporting character for zooey.

this is exactly the formula that parks and rec used. struggle through first season then develop supporting characters with eccentricities and let it fly.

wouldn't the supporting character for Zooey technically be her hot girlfriend ?

#92 ·
Bump....New Show Tonight after a long vacation.

I hope it starts to improve as I love Zooey's personality,not so much the other 3 goons.

#94 ·

Quote:
Why Fox's Decision to Bench New Girl Until November Is a Good Thing

By Josef Adalian, New York Magazine's 'Vulture' Blog - October 11th, 2011

Indeed, the fact that the show won't be on the air for a spell is actually the clearest evidence yet that Fox feels it's found a new long-term comedy player.

But what about the argument that simply not airing New Girl for three weeks might slow down its momentum? Well, it's worth looking at what happened two years ago, when Fox preempted the red hot and new Glee for three weeks in the fall for baseball: After averaging 7.1 million viewers on October 21, it attracted 7.5 million gleeks upon its November 11 return.

After a four week hiatus, Fox's New Girl returned to a 3.5 adults 18-49 rating, that's down 19% from the 4.3 adults 18-49 rating in its last original on October 4. Total viewers has dropped to 7.53 million.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.