AVS Forum banner

Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread

Tags
3d hdtv
617K views 3K replies 421 participants last post by  jimlau 
#1 ·
Without further ado, here is the Sony HMZ-T1 owners thread. FedEx just dropped mine off and I'm in the process of unboxing it.

I'll post pics in a moment.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine /forum/post/21189916

Without further ado, here is the Sony HMZ-T1 owners thread. FedEx just dropped mine off and I'm in the process of unboxing it.

I'll post pics in a moment.

A moment has PASSED. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS BLIZ.

HOW DARE YOU POST LIES. Lawl.

Come back after you've successfully fondled your new toy!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamone /forum/post/21190025

Subjectively, input lag seems to be about 3 frames, so may not be suitable for shooting and fighting games. Looking forward to trying it with Child of Eden.

Can you clarify that please? How many frames per second were being displayed and therefore what was the real lag? If a game was running at 60 fps then 3 frames isn't that much of a big deal, but an altogether bigger deal if it was 30fps.

#12 ·
Awesome mate.. Thanks for the pics.. I cannot wait to play.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine /forum/post/21190073

all pics and screen captures where taken with an iPhone 4.

The images all appear very straight in real life. Also, There is no edge blurring for me. It was perfectly clear edge to edge.

The contrast, black levels and color are all amazing.

Cool. Nice to see the blurry edges I saw were only a prototype/setup problem.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine /forum/post/21190073

all pics and screen captures where taken with an iPhone 4.

The images all appear very straight in real life. Also, There is no edge blurring for me. It was perfectly clear edge to edge.

The contrast, black levels and color are all amazing.

Great pictures! Thanks blizaine. Mine should be here any time now.

#17 ·
Just waiting on the FedEx guy. Should be here any moment. Going to give Shadow of the Colossus 3d a whirl first thing!

#20 ·
I've only played with it for a few minutes but I have to say that I'm blown away. I picture quality is very good. I initially hooked it up to my Macbook Pro (2011) and desktop was crystal clear. It went to 720p by default and even after switching it to 1080p all the text and icons where legible, surprisingly.

Some notes:

- Without the light blockers installed you definitely loose some of the immersiveness. (they come with it, but are detachable)

- So far the 3D is nice, but like others have said, not a ton of "pop". I've yet to play with ANY of the settings other than turn 3D SBS mode on.

- The screen seems more like the 150" reference than the 750" reference, to me. But I need more time with it to be sure. It still feels very big.

- If you really try, you can probably make out some pixel structure, but it is by NO mean distracting or even noticeable, unless you are trying to find it.

- The quality of the image is amazing. You feel like you are looking at a really high end display.

I'm actually at work so I'll post more info tonight. I've got Uncharted 3, the new Batman game, and a couple 3D movies waiting on me.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /forum/post/21190085

Can you clarify that please? How many frames per second were being displayed and therefore what was the real lag? If a game was running at 60 fps then 3 frames isn't that much of a big deal, but an altogether bigger deal if it was 30fps.

That was just the reviewer's subjective opinion on how the lag felt (about 2-3 frames). I'm assuming that it's based on a 60 FPS input, since they did most of their testing on console (PS3/X360). A more rigorous test of input lag hasn't been conducted, as far as I know. Also, I'm curious as to whether having the input at 720P or 1080P would affect the input lag at all.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine /forum/post/21190151

- So far the 3D is nice, but like others have said, not a ton of "pop". I've yet to play with ANY of the settings other than turn 3D SBS mode on.

Depth/pop is controlled by the source material, it's not up to the display. (though faults like crosstalk can reduce it)

Quote:

- The screen seems more like the 150" reference than the 750" reference, to me. But I need more time with it to be sure. It still feels very big.

It is 750" but there is no difference in size between a 750" at 65ft (which this is) or a 150" screen at 12ft.

Quote:

- The quality of the image is amazing. You feel like you are looking at a really high end display.

Glad to hear it. What is the black level like?

#23 ·
Just got mine... Seems great for gaming/3d movies. HOWEVER I guess I was jumping gun and was planning on getting rid of monitor. It doesnt handle being used as a replacement of a computer monitor(small text, etc). To people who plan to get this is as a replacement of monitor. You will not be able to.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /forum/post/21190085

3 frames at 60fps (.05). 3 frames at 30fps would have been listed as (.1).

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara /forum/post/21190247

Just got mine... Seems great for gaming/3d movies. HOWEVER I guess I was jumping gun and was planning on getting rid of monitor. It doesnt handle being used as a replacement of a computer monitor(small text, etc). To people who plan to get this is as a replacement of monitor. You will not be able to.
The two different descriptions don't jive.
Quote:

I've only played with it for a few minutes but I have to say that I'm blown away. I picture quality is very good. I initially hooked it up to my Macbook Pro (2011) and desktop was crystal clear. It went to 720p by default and even after switching it to 1080p all the text and icons where legible, surprisingly.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist /forum/post/21190173

Glad to hear it. What is the black level like?

Based on when I turned the unit on and it shows the blue text on the black screen, the blacks look about as black as you could get. It looked to me like there was no illumination from the panels in the black areas. I'm guessing that if I was in a completely dark room and let my eyes adjust for awhile, I may notice some level of deep dark 'gray' but to me, it seems like the black areas are actually black.

I'm kind of a black-level snob, and it is about the best I've seen.

I haven't ran any sort of calibration disc yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.