AVS Forum banner

Jamis' theater thread!

354K views 962 replies 131 participants last post by  RTROSE 
#1 ·

Updated 11/18/2013:

The theater is pretty much done (as of November 2008). Here is an index to the most interesting parts and milestones of the thread. There are other interesting posts and pictures in between each step, but these are the ones that immediately jumped out as worthwhile to mention.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this 5+ month project!

Take the video tour! (24MB)

My theater was featured on Electronic House! (8/11/2009)
My theater was written up on HackedGadgets.com! (3/15/2009)

01/24/2007 - Started this thread. Posted first ideas and designs.
04/12/2008 - Permits pulled and design revised.
04/21/2008 - Lumber has arrived and the project starts for real.
06/16/2008 - Framing, conduit, HVAC, plumbing done.
06/25/2008 - Insulation, rough electrical done.
07/13/2008 - Drywall done.
07/20/2008 - Bathroom tile and paint.
08/11/2008 - Cabinets installed, picking out carpet and flooring.
08/17/2008 - Hardwood installed in Kitchenette.
08/25/2008 - Granite installed
08/31/2008 - Acoustic panels installed and the start of the screen wall. Put tint on sliding glass doors.
09/03/2008 - Kitchenette and bathroom complete. Starting to tackle basement stairs.
09/05/2008 - Carpet installed.
09/06/2008 - Speakers, screen and seats installed.
09/13/2008 - Stairs done.
09/25/2008 - Bass shakers installed.
10/30/2008 - Projector Installed
10/31/2008 - First screen shots.
11/02/2008 - More screen shots.
11/11/2008 - Movie posters framed and hung.
11/15/2008 - A few more finished pics.
12/02/2008 - Installed Littlites on the bar.
01/08/2009 - Popcorn machine and a finished rack!
03/14/2009 - Cleaned up the equipment closet a bit and my 1000th post!
04/05/2009 - Under cabinet lighting in the kitchenette.
04/24/2009 - Treated screen wall with acoustical cotton.
05/13/2009 - Built a new HTPC!

Final Equipment List:

Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector

Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector   (upgraded 12/2012)

129" wide SmX ProLine Screen - 2.37:1

Denon 3808ci Receiver (retired)

Pioneer SC-1522-K Receiver  (upgraded 3/30/2013)

Playstation 3

Playstation 4 (new)

Sony BDP-N460 Bluray player + streaming media (netflix)

Sony BDP-S5100 Bluray player + streaming media (netflix)   (upgraded 4/3/2013)

Monitor Audio RS6 left and right front speakers

Monitor Audio RSLCR center channel speaker

Monitor Audio RSFX surround speakers

Monitor Audio RSFX rear speakers

SVS PC-13 Ultra Subwoofer

6 Aura Pro Bass Shakers

300 watt BASH subwoofer amplifier

Berkline 13175 seating

Nintendo Wii   (retired)

Comcast HD DVR

Verizon FiOS Multi-room DVR

Thecus N5200 NAS (1.5TB RAID5 network attached storage)

HTPC -
  • 2.7GHz dual core Pentium
  • 4GB RAM
  • GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard (geForce 9400 - HDMI)
  • 500GB hard drive
  • DVD +/-RW drive
  • Silverstone LC17B case
  • MS Entertainment Desktop 7000 keyboard/mouse
  • Mythbuntu (Linux)

Harmony One universal remote

X10 Powermid IR repeater

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well... after a year and a half (almost), I've finally decided to start planning the basement theater. Not quite sure on when construction will begin especially since I have yet to finalize my plans. In fact, I'd love to hear feedback on my current sketches.

Some basics (updated 3/16/2009):

• Finished width of the theater is approximately 13'4"
  • The final length of the theater comes out to around 32'
  • 7.1 surround sound
  • Acoustically transparent screen with 2.37:1 aspect ratio
  • Ceiling was drywalled with 2x3's used as furring strips to clear some copper plumbing.
  • Soffits/beam will be approximately 6'9" in height
  • Blue rectangles on the open wall in the pictures are a window and sliding patio doors.
  • Lighting will be primarily 4" can lights. There will be cove lighting (rope) around the soffits and as step lighting for the riser.
  • Seating is comprised of Berkline 13175's (two rows of three) and four bar stools.
  • Equipment rack would go under the stairs
  • Moving the lolly columns is not an option.

Update - 3/16/2009 - the information below is from the original post and contains some out of date information.

I'm not sure if I want a wet bar or not, but if I do it will have to be adjacent to the utility room for best access to the sewer pipe. I am also having a tough time deciding what do to in the rear of the theater (wall? wall with french doors? leave it open and just put heavy curtains over the sliding glass doors? Leave it open but continue the wall along the beam?).

I've also been playing with different sized utility rooms (from the entire corner to right up against the oil tank). My wife would like a good compromise of storage + usable space, though again, any sort of wet bar or plumbing should be adjacent to the utility room.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! See my attachments for the bare basement mock-up as well as a partially finished layout I've been playing with...

Thanks!

Chris (jamis)

See less See more
#903 ·
Jamis, I hear ya. I didn't at all mean that as a commentary towards you.
It was donjuan's original comment, "you must have lot's of money", that sparked me. It's nobodies business and awkward to mention.

And even more awkward for me to continue rambling...

#904 ·
I'm using zoom as well, no plans to go to an anamorphic lens. To me there are tradeoffs either way, neither is "perfect" in every respect - you choose what's important to you and go with it. I don't buy the whole "its the right way" argument / holy war.

zoom:

- you have to live with or deal with the "bars"

- as you zoom for 2.35, you'll get less light (all of panel not used)

- no extra cost

- really need motorized zoom/shift; Panny memory even better

- no stretching means the pixels stay the same from the source

lens:

- you get more light at a given throw

- you may have to throw from further back for best results, thus losing some of the "more light" advantage

- stretching means no pixel perfect image; but may help fill for projectors with poor fill rate

- expensive

- can induce pincushion distortion (which can be addressed with curved screen for even more $$ - and the required curve is specific to the lens, so if you upgrade either, you might need to change the other)

- you don't get any more resolution (the source is the source)

To me, it came down to I didn't want (at this time) the additional cost and complexity; and felt more comfortable with the tradeoffs from zooming than those potentially associated with lens / VP / curved screen, etc.

#906 ·
^ I think somebody blatantly ignored the "warning your digging up an old thread warning" here. You my friend are indeed a rebel.

#907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/21083311

^ I think somebody blatantly ignored the "warning your digging up an old thread warning" here. You my friend are indeed a rebel.

Yeah, well you know me........Rebel without a clue.......We don't need no stinkin old thread warning not for someone classic like jamis.

Regards,

RTROSE

#908 ·
Still around, mostly... Started a new job a little over a month ago and have been very busy since.

I've been mostly just hanging out in the projector forums. Thinking about picking up the new Panny 7000 or possibly the new JVC RS45.

Other than that... nothing new at all with the theater. We did get a new keg, but it's another of the same 'BBC Steel Rail Ale'. My beer consumption is still a fraction of what it used to be (too many carbs).

#909 ·
^^ Glad to see your still round these parts. Whats your personal preference and which way are you leaning with regards to your potential projector upgrade.....RS45 or Panny 7K? I have narrowed it down to those two and am on the pre-order (special pricing
) list here with AVS on the RS45 but still on the fence due to my concerns with the potential for lag issues with the JVC as I watch a ton of sports and online gaming as well. Your thoughts?

#910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/21091246

^^ Glad to see your still round these parts. Whats your personal preference and which way are you leaning with regards to your potential projector upgrade.....RS45 or Panny 7K? I have narrowed it down to those two and am on the pre-order (special pricing
) list here with AVS on the RS45 but still on the fence due to my concerns with the potential for lag issues with the JVC as I watch a ton of sports and online gaming as well. Your thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the Panny since it's a mostly known quantity and I've been happy with my AE3000 (even with the dust blobs and a stuck pixel).

I am most interested in seeing how the JVC handles the lens memory feature (a requirement for me). I wish the Panny had discrete IR codes for each lens memory setting (no menus), and didn't show the 'Processing' dialogue while changing... especially since the AE4000 and 7000 have the 'auto' aspect adjust feature.

I'm very tempted to try the JVC since they have had phenomenal picture quality over the last few years (especially in contrast). I do play video games (PS3), but rarely online so lag isn't much of an issue for me.

#911 ·
Hey Jamis hope all is well,

3D upgrade would be great in your theater.

I had dust blob issues with my Epson HC400 projector. I opened up the casing to see if I could try to resolve by blowing compressed air thru lens area to no avail.

Might think I'm crazy for even trying this, but I decided to try blowing the compressed air thru the intake, figured I had nothing to lose so long as I was careful with any moisture. Well what do you know, had a big dust plume come from the intake as I blew the air into it. Took care of about 99 percent of the blobs. Since then I did this one more time with similar results.

Since your planning on upgrading it may be worth a shot just to clear things up in the time being.

Good luck on the upgrade.

#912 ·
He lives! Ye Haw! Good to hear that you are still around and lurking anyway. Congrats on the new job, but I know that having a new job comes with some new stresses, but I hope all is well with that aspect of your life. Regarding your projector upgrade sounds like you are getting it narrowed down. I was disappointed though that you did not do your famous or is it infamous keg update even though it was the same. Tradition ya know.

Now don't go and be a stranger, especially in your own thread.

Regards,

RTROSE

#913 ·
The new job is going well... though being a start-up, the hours are a bit longer and unfortunately in this case, so is the commute.

Quite the culture shock going from a 600+ person division of a 300,000+ person company to an 8 person early stage start-up. Thankfully that means more actual work and fewer meetings.

Given how little beer I've been drinking lately... the keg updates are kind of anticlimactic for me now.

#914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/21096809

The new job is going well... though being a start-up, the hours are a bit longer and unfortunately in this case, so is the commute.

Quite the culture shock going from a 600+ person division of a 300,000+ person company to an 8 person early stage start-up. Thankfully that means more actual work and fewer meetings.

Given how little beer I've been drinking lately... the keg updates are kind of anticlimactic for me now.

More work less meetings, now that IS a new work concept. Someone there must be a visionary!

The last comment just makes me sad. I have to admit though, while I'm not a big drinker by any means I do usually consume the adult beverage frequently during the hot summer months and this year I have really been off as a 24 pack of Blue Moon has lasted me from about mid July till now (and I still have 2 left).
Oh well so it goes.

Regards,

RTROSE

#915 ·
Actual HT update!

We had a small 'incident' that caused the glass door on the equipment rack to 'lose structural integrity' (i.e. break into 3 large pieces). This finally gave me the motivation to re-org my equipment rack a bit.

Mostly, this consisted of me dismantling everything so that I could mount the rack about an inch deeper within the space. It had always been a nagging disappointment on how close the glass door was to the equipment and I had to have the PS3 and receiver pushed back slightly on their shelves. This will no longer be a problem (when the glass store is done cutting me a new door).

I am also getting much closer to pulling the trigger on the Panny AE7000. I really want it, but I don't want to drop the cash. We'll see how long I can hold out.

It's not so much the cost of the projector, but more than likely I will also want to upgrade the Bluray player and possibly the receiver.

#917 ·
Glad to hear that there was not complete disaster. Ah, the disease of upgradeitus had reared it's ugly head! The only cure is to give in to the disease.....resistance is futile!

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

#918 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 /forum/post/21189928

Just out of curiosity, because I'm in the market, which Bluray's are you considering?

Honestly, I hadn't started looking yet.

If I don't want to upgrade my receiver, I will probably be looking at ones with dual HDMI outputs so I can do 3D (one HDMI to receiver for audio, one directly to projector... and some fancy programming for the harmony remote). My receiver doesn't support HDMI 1.4, unfortunately.

#919 ·
Another question for ya now that you have been in the theater for a while. Do you like the color of the rope lights? I believe you chose “clear”.

I’m trying to decide what to pick from the choices: clear (AKA warm white), cool white and pearl white at 1000bulbs.com . It’s difficult to choose without being able to see them.

I take it one can cut the incandescent?

Thanks.

#920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 /forum/post/21190480

Another question for ya now that you have been in the theater for a while. Do you like the color of the rope lights? I believe you chose clear.

I'm trying to decide what to pick from the choices: clear (AKA warm white), cool white and pearl white at 1000bulbs.com . It's difficult to choose without being able to see them.

I take it one can cut the incandescent?

Thanks.

I like the 'clear' lights. They have a slightly warmer tone (yellowish) like standard light bulbs. I don't care for the blushish tone of some LEDs, but I'm sure the the cool/pearl whites will be OK too.

I've been thinking about going for a colored rope to mix things up... maybe blue or red eventually.

You can cut the incandescent rope. There is a mark every foot or so where it is OK to cut.

#921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/21189660

Actual HT update!

We had a small 'incident' that caused the glass door on the equipment rack to 'lose structural integrity' (i.e. break into 3 large pieces).

This will no longer be a problem (when the glass store is done cutting me a new door)

Jamis,

I hate when that happens! Curious if you original door (or new one) has/had tempered glass?

I about choked at the pricing when my glass guy put me into tempered glass... (Just wondering if the upgrade I paid for was worth it)

#922 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/21194365

Jamis,

I hate when that happens! Curious if you original door (or new one) has/had tempered glass?

I about choked at the pricing when my glass guy put me into tempered glass... (Just wondering if the upgrade I paid for was worth it)

I am kind of glad we went for plate glass in a way. I'm sure it was probably a little more dangerous depending on how it fell with some nice long sharp edges, but it only broke into 2 large pieces and a few small pieces. The tempered glass would have shattered onto a million pieces and would have been annoying to clean up.

The price difference between tempered and plate glass was minimal from my glass shop (less than $5). My replacement door (custom cut grey tinted plate glass with smoothed edges) is running about $75.

#924 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/21198990

Jamis,

I ended up with 3 smoked tempered glass panels, each was about 10" x 60".

I think my total was close to $400.

(Although I will say it has brought me some piece-of-mind, because my Eq rack faces a fairly high traffic area between my billiards and movie room)

My glass door is 1/4" thick, 50 3/8" x 18 3/4".

Its in a moderate traffic area, but usually stays closed. No flying billiards balls to worry about.

#925 ·
A few small updates:

1. New keg ordered. Sam Adams Boston Ale (not the lager). Yum.

2. New glass door installed for the equipment rack.

3. My neighbor was cleaning house and gave me this....

It's Australian for AWESOME.

#926 ·
That Sam Adams Lager sounds delicious. I have not had the Lager yet but will have to try it. As for the sign that is GREAT. I really like Fosters, in fact I used to drink it 6-8 years ago quite a bit.

#927 ·
That sign is SWEET very cool. I too like Fosters. I was the only beer I actually like drinking from the can because of the size of the things. Their nick name (Oil cans) was very appropriate for sure.

I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I have only had their Boston Lager. I would be willing to try the Ale though.

Regards,

RTROSE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.