AVS Forum banner

Amazon Prime Instant Video

279K views 3K replies 270 participants last post by  Jim McC 
#1 ·

November 7, 2012

Top Movies free on Amazon Prime

Created 3 months ago on IMDB by brenta100   Feature films (1950-current) rated 7.0 or higher available free on Amazon Prime Instant Video (updated).

See also:
Top Documentaries free on Amazon Prime

May 29, 2012

Would you like to select Prime instant videos to watch later? Use Watchlist from any Kindle Fire, Xbox, Roku, PC or Mac.

July 17, 2011
Prime Instant Videos provide unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows at no additional cost with a paid annual Amazon Prime membership, which also includes fast shipping along with other benefits. Prime instant videos can be watched instantly on a Mac, PC and nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video . All of the movies and TV shows are commercial-free and some are available in HD. You can try an Amazon Prime membership by starting a free trial (restrictions apply).

Frequently Asked Questions about Prime Instant Videos

How Amazon Prime Video Stacks Up To Netflix & Hulu Plus By Staci D. Kramer @sdkstl Feb 23, 2011 8:40 AM ET

What are some of the programming differences between Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix and Hulu Plus? Amazon has some previously unavailable Doctor Who, for one thing. Internet video guide Clicker takes a look at the services and offers a detailed chart (below) comparing Amazon's streaming video perk for Prime subscribers with Netflix, Hulu Plus and on-demand services iTunes, Amazon Instant Video and Hulu. Also worth a read, Rex Hammock's consumer take on Amazon's free Trojan Horse.
Attachment 218853

Update: A couple of good points have been raised about the chart: Amazon lists Android under mobile but hasn't announced anything, and, as Dan Rayburn notes in the comments, Amazon's HD is 480 720, while Netflix is 1080.

Update 2: The chart has been updated to reflect those issues. Clicker's Guillermo Pont explains it in the comments.

Correction: Hulu says Hulu Plus actually has more than 16,000 episodes of TV shows, and 775 movies. (It will be adding about 650 more movies from the Criterion Collection in coming months.) And now the chart has been updated to reflect that. [2/25/2011]
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-c...lix-hulu-plus/

January 30, 2011 8:36 AM PST

Rumors have been heating up over the last few weeks that Amazon was on the verge of offering "free," unlimited video streaming to its Prime members, who pay $79.99 a year for free two-day shipping on many items sold on Amazon. Now a tipster has sent a few screenshots to Engadget allegedly showing an unlimited video streaming section to complement Amazon's VOD (video-on-demand) offerings.

One small bit of info a lot of people don't know about is that Amazon allows Amazon Prime subscribers to share their subscriptions with up to three "family members." (See full article here ). Whether Amazon would extend the "free" streaming service to those you share your membership with is unknown, but it would certainly be a nice perk. Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz1CXR34tI9

TIP: If you want to quickly find where a TV show or movie is streaming - TVandMoviesNow.com will say where it is available to watch

See less See more
#556 ·
I'm sure this has already been discussed, but can I get surround sound on my htpc through Amazon Prime? If so, how?

#557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift /forum/post/21173110

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but can I get surround sound on my htpc through Amazon Prime? If so, how?

Since Amazon only streams in stereo to computers, you'd have to do what I'm doing - using a Roku, which does get 5.1 from Amazon. If you're using an AVR with HDMI inputs, a Roku 2 is the ticket, since that can stream Netflix in 1080 and output 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (assuming your AVR can decode that audio format). If you have a pre-HDMI AVR (as I do) you'll want a Roku XDS, which has an optical output. Either one will get you 5.1 from Amazon in standard Dolby Digital, which all AVRs can decode.

Before you run out and buy a Roku to get Amazon in 5.1, remember that only some of Amazon's programming is in 5.1. Most TV episodes are in stereo - HD movies do tend to be in 5.1, fortunately.

I've set my AVR to fall back - when there's no 5.1 signal - to having the surround speakers play the same signal as the front speakers. That fills the room nicely in the same manner as a car stereo. Or you could think of it as a giant pair of headphones.

#559 ·
Spent a few hours prospecting with my Roku for free 1080p material on the "1080P Showcase" private channel (go to your account at Roku, click on the link to add a private channel, and enter the code "1080p"). When you go to your Roku, go into and then exit the Channel Store to make it update its list of channels, and then you'll see the 1080p Showcase. I didn't immediately get any sound, so I went into that channel's setup screen and toggled the frame rate to its other setting and then everything worked fine. The sound on that channel is stereo, not surround.

It consists entirely of 1080p YouTube material. A lot of it is videogame walk-throughs, and there are also movie trailers and original material, but the mother lode is a large number of live performances by indie rock and blues musicians shot in 1080p over the past few years by a Seattle radio station, KEXP-FM, a public radio station at the University of Washington. Use the search screen to search for KEXP, and once you find one of its videos, you can "favorite" a video and/or its poster by clicking either or both of the lines that start with ">3" on the video's description page to change it/them to ">/3" Not exactly intuitive, but it works.

#560 ·
Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, Rhapsody, Games from Electronic Arts, Zynga and Rovio, and Several Thousand More Apps and Games Coming To Kindle Fire Next Week

Just like with movies and TV shows, music, books, and magazines, Kindle Fire offers a fully-integrated Android apps and games experience - purchase or register for an app or game once, enjoy it on your Kindle Fire and other Android-based devices - and all apps and games are backed up in the Amazon Cloud for re-download anytime

SEATTLE, Nov 09, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- (NASDAQ: AMZN) - When Kindle Fire customers across the country open their boxes next week, they will be able to choose from several thousand of the most popular Android apps and games, including Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Twitter, Comics by comiXology, Facebook, The Weather Channel and popular games from Zynga, EA, Gameloft, PopCap and Rovio. Kindle Fire customers will be able to download these apps and games without having to register multiple times and using Amazon's simple and secure 1-Click payment technology. Plus, all apps are Amazon-tested on Kindle Fire for the best experience possible, customers can get a great "paid" app for free every day, and once you've downloaded an app from the Amazon Appstore, it's available on Kindle Fire as well as your other Android-based devices.

"We started talking to app developers everywhere the day we introduced Kindle Fire, and the response has been overwhelming," Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. "In addition to over 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, and magazines from Amazon, we are excited to offer customers thousands of apps and games to choose from on Kindle Fire - from Pandora and Rhapsody to Facebook and Twitter to Netflix, as well as popular games from EA, Zynga and many other top game developers. And this is only the beginning - we're adding more apps and games every day across all categories."

With the Netflix app, Kindle Fire customers who are Netflix members can browse and instantly watch unlimited TV shows and movies and resume watching where they left off on their TV or computer. "We're excited to team up with Amazon to give what we think will be a huge community of Kindle Fire owners the opportunity experience all that Netflix has to offer," said Bill Holmes, Vice President of Business Development at Netflix. "We're certain that our members will have a great viewing experience on Kindle Fire."

"EA is proud to be part of Kindle Fire," said Bernard Kim, Senior Vice President & Head of Global Sales and Marketing at Electronic Arts. "On Kindle Fire, we're offering some of the world's most popular titles with incredible gameplay and breathtaking graphics that anyone can play and enjoy anytime, anywhere."

"Zynga strives to deliver the best mobile social gaming experiences that can be enjoyed by players anytime and anywhere," said David Ko, Chief Mobile Officer at Zynga. "Teaming with Amazon to make Words With Friends a featured game on the Kindle Fire provides us with a great way to reach new and existing players on a fresh and exciting device."

"As Gameloft continues to create games for the mass market, Kindle Fire comes as a very exciting new platform for us to offer our games on," said Baudouin Corman, Vice President of Publishing for the Americas at Gameloft. "Not only does it provide us with an innovative channel for us to reach new audiences, but the tablet is set to enable a great gaming experience as well. In effect, we plan on providing Kindle Fire customers with a large catalog of top quality premium and free-to-play games."

"We're excited to be bringing our massively popular games to Kindle Fire," said Andrew Stein, Director of Mobile Product Management at PopCap Games. "Kindle Fire is a great gaming device, and consumers will love the touch-screen optimized adaptations of top titles such as Plants vs. Zombies."

"Personalized radio has the power to enhance all types of experiences anytime, anywhere and we're thrilled that Pandora is a launch app on the new Kindle Fire," said Jessica Steel, Executive Vice President of Business and Corporate Development at Pandora.

"We are really stoked to offer our members the Rhapsody experience on one of the most anticipated new devices this holiday season," said Brian McGarvey, Vice President of Business Development for Rhapsody. "We want to make sure Rhapsody is available on every must-have device, including the Kindle Fire."

"Being a featured app on Kindle Fire will allow The Weather Channel to continue to fulfill our mission of providing consumers with the most reliable weather information to help plan their daily lives - no matter where they are and what device they use," said Cameron Clayton, Executive Vice President of Digital Product at The Weather Channel Companies.

Additional examples of apps and games that will be available to Kindle Fire customers include Allrecipes, Bloomberg, Cut the Rope, Doodle Fit, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Jenga, LinkedIn, Zillow, Airport Mania, Battleheart, Pulse, The Cat in the Hat, Quickoffice Pro, Jamie's 20-Minute Meals, IMDb Movies & TV, and Monkey Preschool Lunchbox.

Kindle Fire offers more than 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, magazines, apps and games, as well as free storage in the Amazon Cloud, Whispersync for books and movies, a 14.6 ounce design that's easy to hold with one hand, a vibrant color touch screen, a powerful dual-core processor and Amazon Silk - Amazon's new revolutionary web browser that accelerates the power of the mobile device by using the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services Cloud - all for only $199. Customers also enjoy a free month of Amazon Prime, providing access to Prime Instant Video with 13,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited streaming and the new Kindle Owners' Lending Library where Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free including more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers - as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates.

Customers in the U.S. can pre-order Kindle Fire at http://www.amazon.com/kindlefire and it ships November 15. For high resolution images and video of the all-new Kindle Fire, visit http://www.amazon.com/pr/kindle .

About Amazon.com

Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth's Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon's developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon's own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. The new latest generation Kindle is the lightest, most compact Kindle ever and features the same 6-inch, most advanced electronic ink display that reads like real paper even in bright sunlight. Kindle Touch is a new addition to the Kindle family with an easy-to-use touch screen that makes it easier than ever to turn pages, search, shop, and take notes - still with all the benefits of the most advanced electronic ink display. Kindle Touch 3G is the top of the line e-reader and offers the same new design and features of Kindle Touch, with the unparalleled added convenience of free 3G. Kindle Fire is the Kindle for movies, TV shows, music, books, magazines, apps, games and web browsing with all the content, free storage in the Amazon Cloud, Whispersync, Amazon Silk (Amazon's new revolutionary cloud-accelerated web browser), vibrant color touch screen, and powerful dual-core processor.

Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including http://www.amazon.com , http://www.amazon.co.uk , http://www.amazon.de , http://www.amazon.co.jp , http://www.amazon.fr , http://www.amazon.ca , http://www.amazon.cn , http://www.amazon.it , and http://www.amazon.es . As used herein, "Amazon.com," "we," "our" and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.

Forward-Looking Statements

This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.

SOURCE: Amazon.com, Inc.

Amazon.com, Inc.

Media Hotline, 206-266-7180
http://www.amazon.com/pr
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....8440&highlight

#561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick /forum/post/21173703

Since Amazon only streams in stereo to computers, you'd have to do what I'm doing - using a Roku, which does get 5.1 from Amazon. If you're using an AVR with HDMI inputs, a Roku 2 is the ticket, since that can stream Netflix in 1080 and output 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (assuming your AVR can decode that audio format). If you have a pre-HDMI AVR (as I do) you'll want a Roku XDS, which has an optical output. Either one will get you 5.1 from Amazon in standard Dolby Digital, which all AVRs can decode.

Before you run out and buy a Roku to get Amazon in 5.1, remember that only some of Amazon's programming is in 5.1. Most TV episodes are in stereo - HD movies do tend to be in 5.1, fortunately.

I've set my AVR to fall back - when there's no 5.1 signal - to having the surround speakers play the same signal as the front speakers. That fills the room nicely in the same manner as a car stereo. Or you could think of it as a giant pair of headphones.

I wanted to thank you for the reply. I won't be buying a Roku anytime soon as I feel that sort of defeats the purpose of my setup, but I understand how that would be the easiest way of going about things.

I guess I'll continue waiting for the day Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the rest decide to stream 5.1 for PCs. Thanks!

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift /forum/post/21189801

I wanted to thank you for the reply. I won't be buying a Roku anytime soon as I feel that sort of defeats the purpose of my setup, but I understand how that would be the easiest way of going about things.

I guess I'll continue waiting for the day Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the rest decide to stream 5.1 for PCs. Thanks!

Unfortunately, since very few PCs can decode 5.1 or even bitstream it to an AVR - either of which takes a sound card that is anything but standard - they don't have much incentive to do so. Since these outfits are mass-marketers not focused on the tinkerers among us, you'll probably have a long wait.

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick /forum/post/21190331

Unfortunately, since very few PCs can decode 5.1 or even bitstream it to an AVR - either of which takes a sound card that is anything but standard - they don't have much incentive to do so. Since these outfits are mass-marketers not focused on the tinkerers among us, you'll probably have a long wait.

Yeah, I sorta figured that. It seems strange to me that something like streaming video, which was introduced and made popular on the PC, is now being enhanced on and targeted to mainly non-PC streaming capable devices.

I was sort of hoping that as HDMI-out on video cards and built in to motherboards was becoming more the norm, we'd see more folks experimenting with HTPCs, but I guess that's not really the case.

I'm kind of surprised PC media centers like MCE or Boxee haven't made a deal with some of these streaming services for surround sound.

Sigh... Oh Well.

#565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick /forum/post/21190331

I don't know about "very few", but my last two off-the-shelf PCs, an HP notebook purchased about 5 or 6 years back and a Gateway desktop that I bought 2 years ago to replace it both have S/PDIF output, coax on the laptop and TOSlink on the desktop. With S/PDIF from the PC hooked up to my AVR, I play MKV, WMV and MOV (or MP4) files with 5.1 soundtracks using VLC, Zune, Quicktime and other players, getting both DD5.1 and DTS as encoded on the file.

Both PCs have S/PDIF headers on their motherboards (I don't own a soundcard) and in neither case did I look for that feature while shopping for the PC. I think that it must be pretty common. (This desktop has a Realtek "HD" integrated audio chipset--I think that the laptop might as well).

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21190723

I don't know about "very few", but my last two off-the-shelf PCs, an HP notebook purchased about 5 or 6 years back and a Gateway desktop that I bought 2 years ago to replace it both have S/PDIF output, coax on the laptop and TOSlink on the desktop. With S/PDIF from the PC hooked up to my AVR, I play MKV, WMV and MOV (or MP4) files with 5.1 soundtracks using VLC, Zune, Quicktime and other players, getting both DD5.1 and DTS as encoded on the file.

Both PCs have S/PDIF headers on their motherboards (I don't own a soundcard) and in neither case did I look for that feature while shopping for the PC. I think that it must be pretty common. (This desktop has a Realtek "HD" integrated audio chipset--I think that the laptop might as well).

I haven't shopped for a PC or laptop for years. Interesting that they're now including S/PDIF out on mainstream PCs.

Of course, the only things I use that for in my theater are my Roku and my cable box - I use the analog 5.1 RCA jacks on my Panasonic BD-50 to feed CD, DVD - and especially Blu-ray's lossless audio - directly into my pre-HDMI receiver. An S/PDIF connection (whether optical or coax) forces Blu-ray players to downshift to DVD-style lossy audio.

#567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/21190333

Amazon didn't have any Kindle Fire units on display yesterday at AndDevCon II but Barnes and Noble did have their just announced tablet.

I'm thinking about selling my Nook Color and buying a Kindle Fire. As an Amazon Prime member, I'd get to read books for free from their " Kindle Owner's Lending Library ", use the "Amazon Free Apps of the Day" (actually usable on any Android device, except a non-rooted Nook
) and view Prime Instant Video selections on my tablet. These are strong inducements.

I hate the market-protectionism practiced by both B&N and Amazon, with Amazon being the most hateful. They've refused to add a reader for books in industry-standard e-pub format with Adobe DRM so that you can read books purchased at most online e-book stores on Kindles--such a reader was also required for borrowing e-books from libraries until Amazon recently got the main lending service used by public libraries (overdrive.com) to stock copies in Kindle format

The Nook Color hasn't worked out to be as good a tablet as I'd hoped. For the most part it's an excellent e-book reader, but since all apps have to come from B&N's app-store (unless you want to root the device which I'm not interested in doing), its selection of apps is weak. There are several things that I use on my Android phone which I'd like to use on the larger screen of the tablet which are just not available in the B&N app store but which are available from Amazon (some of them were Amazon "free apps of the day"
).

The Nook Color's speakers are also weak. Though adequate for sound effects from games, it sucks for watching videos, even those in their special books and magazines.

In the Nook's favor is the fact that you can read ubiquitously available e-pub-with-Adobe-DRM files on it, though e-books bought from B&N use a special version of it and cannot be read on non-B&N devices.

I doubt that I'll do anything until after the new year--there's supposedly a major Nook Color firmware update coming in December which will include Netflix and Hulu Plus players among other things.

#568 ·
Michael - Tell me more about this "Kindle Owner's Lending Library" thing. I read a ton of books, so that may be an incentive for me to go prime (since the video streaming alone isn't differentiated enough from Netflix for me to use it)

Do you actually have to own a Kindle, or just use the Kindle App?

#569 ·
With an Amazon Prime membership, Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free - including over 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers - as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates

Books can be borrowed and read on all Kindle E Ink devices and Kindle Fire

SEATTLE, Nov 02, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

Today, Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) announced the launch of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. With an Amazon Prime membership, Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free - including over 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers - as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates. No other e-reader or ebookstore offers such a service. With an annual Prime membership, the Kindle Owners' Lending Library is included at no additional cost. Millions of Prime members enjoy free two-day shipping, unlimited streaming of nearly 13,000 movies and TV shows, and now thousands of books to borrow for free with a Kindle.

"Owning a Kindle just got even better. Today, we're introducing a new Prime benefit built for Kindle: The Kindle Owners' Lending Library," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. "Prime Members now have exclusive access to a huge library of books to read on any Kindle device at no additional cost and with no due dates."

The Kindle Owners' Lending Library offers access to a wide array of categories and genres in fiction and non-fiction, and includes popular titles such as Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, The Big Short and Liars' Poker by Michael Lewis, TheHunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen --plus award-winning books such as The Finkler Question and Guns, Germs, and Steel, memoirs such as Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, and motivational books like The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Just as with any other Kindle book, your notes, highlights and bookmarks in borrowed books will be saved, so you'll have them later if you purchase or re-borrow the book. Books are borrowed from a Kindle device, and customers can have one book out at a time. When customers want to borrow a new book, any borrowed book can easily be returned right from their device.

Titles in the Kindle Owners' Lending Library come from a range of publishers under a variety of terms. For the vast majority of titles, Amazon has reached agreement with publishers to include titles for a fixed fee. In some cases, Amazon is purchasing a title each time it is borrowed by a reader under standard wholesale terms as a no-risk trial to demonstrate to publishers the incremental growth and revenue opportunity that this new service presents.

"The Kindle Owners' Lending Library is a great new benefit for Kindle owners and an entirely new growth opportunity for authors and publishers," said Russ Grandinetti, Vice President, Kindle Content. "With the growth in Prime membership and the recent addition of Prime Instant Video, we've been able to broaden our relationships with movie and TV studios such as CBS, Fox, and NBCUniversal and significantly increase their revenue. We're excited to expand that investment to books - with this launch, we expect three immediate results: Kindle owners will read even more, publisher revenues will grow, and authors will see larger royalty checks."

"We're excited to offer titles from our ebook 'Chapters' series, which covers some of the world's most popular destinations, to members of Kindle Owners' Lending Library," says John Boris, EVP Lonely Planet. "Our ebooks have done incredibly well on Kindle and this is a great way to showcase our travel expertise to an even broader audience."

"We're excited about any program that helps readers discover our authors and their books," said David Nussbaum, Chief Executive and Chairman of F+W Media Inc. "We think this will lead to more people reading F+W's books, and more profit for our authors."

To learn more about the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, visit www.amazon.com/kindleownerslendinglibrary . To learn about all of the additional benefits included with Amazon Prime, or to start an Amazon Prime free trial visit www.amazon.com/prime .

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....426&highlight=

#570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/21191183

Michael - Tell me more about this "Kindle Owner's Lending Library" thing. I read a ton of books, so that may be an incentive for me to go prime (since the video streaming alone isn't differentiated enough from Netflix for me to use it)

Do you actually have to own a Kindle, or just use the Kindle App?

You may noticed that the quoted name of the program in my post is a link to Amazon's page explaining it. On that page it is says, "Own a Kindle + Prime membership = Read for free". Under "Own a Kindle" it says, "Books can only be borrowed and read on Kindle devices (works with all Kindle generations)". So you have to have a Kindle, the cheapest new one being the new $80 one.

Kindle e-books which are eligible are marked "Prime" but there's no way to list them on website right now. You can download them for free and have one of them on your Kindle at any time and are required to "return" that one before downloading another.

#574 ·
I read a couple of reviews of the Kindle Fire and watched a couple of video reviews--here's a long, fairly comprehensive one:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Not bad, but I'm not as psyched about it as I was before. There are a few things I'm not really wild about (a single power hard button, all other controls are on the touchscreen--I'd much prefer hard button volume controls, for instance), but there are a few other things which are kind of cool, and I am an Amazon Prime member (coming to the end of my 5th year) for whom there are significant perqs. I'm not in any rush--I'll reconsider after the December Nook Color firmware upgrade, a major one which will bring Netflix and Hulu Plus.

What I'd really like is an 7" Android 3.0+ tablet, on which I could run e-book apps for all of the stores, but they're so damned expensive. A couple of the 7"ers are on sale right now, so I might go that route.​

#576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry /forum/post/21223316

My membership has paid for itself many times over. I bought a sizable (400 lb) snow blower and my 55" Vizio through Amazon and didn't pay a cent for 2 day shipping.

I've told this story here before, but when I first signed up for Prime, I bought an Onkyo HTiB that weighed in at around 110 lbs; just for grins and chuckles, I paid $4 for overnight shipping, even though I knew that it'd be couple of weeks before I finally got around to setting it up
. I'm pretty sure that overnight shipping on a 110 lb package would cost significantly more than the $84 I'd paid to that point, and I shipped probably over a hundred more packages that year.

If they can rope you into Prime, the no-additional-cost 2-day shipping greatly increases the probability of selling you something. I use price search engines when I shop online, and often find better deals on basic price, but when you add shipping it exceeds Amazon's price (and that's not for 2-day shipping). I buy all sorts of little stuff that wouldn't make sense to buy online because the shipping would exceed the cost of the item itself. Little perqs like Prime Instant Video and the new "Kindle Owner's Lending Library" are intended to get more people to sign up so that they'll get hooked on the shipping benefit. I fully expect them to keep looking for additional benefits to add to Prime membership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.