AVS Forum banner

The Official VEFXi 3D-Bee Owners' Thread

50K views 293 replies 61 participants last post by  Haisook 
#1 ·
OK - so I just got my 3D-Bee professional last week and jumped on here to report my thoughts and found no owners' thread yet.

So, here goes...

The 3D-Bee is a really nifty gadget that converts 2D input, such as your favourite 2D Bluray, or your favourite football game or car race, into some VERY impressive 3D. More on this below, but this device performed much better than I expected.

As some of you may know, my theater configuration is a dual-projector passive polarised system, so for Bluray 3D, I am using Optoma 3DXL boxes to split the signals into the left and right.

In a similar manner, my 3D Bee configuration requires a Dual-unit "Professional" version of the 3D-Bee SKU. This allows the unit to output a full 1080p60 or 1080p24 for each projector, left and right.

If you are using a regular "active" 3D TV or projector, then you would only need a single 3D-Bee device - such as their base model, the "Home", or their mid-range "Trainer" model.

The difference between these two units is that the "Home" model outputs two "flavours" of 3D style, the "innie" (Z-) style (where objects appear behind the screen), and the "outtie" (Z+) style (where objects can appear in front of the screen).

The "Trainer" model does the same 3D creation, but you can exaggerate the Z- or Z+ modes (called Z-- and Z++).

The "Home" and "Trainer" models are limited by the HDMI format, in that they can only output 3D at the bandwidths/resolutions supported in HDMI. These are 720p at 120hz (60p per eye) or 1080p60 where the frame is cut in half and shared for each eye.

To acheive true 1080p60 per eye, requires the "Pro" version that I purchased, which is actually two of the "Trainer" models, which have been preset to be the Left and the Right output.

See less See more
#77 ·
Haha Nice! That's the video I link to anyone that mentions they're interested in Nvidia 3D Vision Surround. It clearly shows how immersive it can be with multiple 3D displays. Whatever you do, do not take the video down from YouTube or my links will be bad

rdjam, I'm interested in your findings with the X-box and PS3. More inparticular the X-Box, because it only outputs low resolutions in 3D.

#78 ·
I bought the 3D-Bee Trainer a little over a month ago. I must say, I am very happy and impressed with this unit. It's nice to be able to watch anything I want in 3D. Blu-Rays look really nice with the Bee.

The only thing that I wish it was better at, was having that pop out of the screen 3D effect. The 3D looks good, but the really cool things flying at you experience is lacking. I don't know if what I said makes sense, or if I am experiencing what others have with the Bee, but it seems that the 3D effect is contained in the TV screen, rather than the true 3D experience from a 3D Blu-Ray. I have not seen other conversion units, so I cannot compare anything with the Bee.

Other than that, I am happy with the product and would definitely recommend it.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms2knights /forum/post/21193394

I bought the 3D-Bee Trainer a little over a month ago. I must say, I am very happy and impressed with this unit. It's nice to be able to watch anything I want in 3D. Blu-Rays look really nice with the Bee.

The only thing that I wish it was better at, was having that pop out of the screen 3D effect. The 3D looks good, but the really cool things flying at you experience is lacking. I don't know if what I said makes sense, or if I am experiencing what others have with the Bee, but it seems that the 3D effect is contained in the TV screen, rather than the true 3D experience from a 3D Blu-Ray. I have not seen other conversion units, so I cannot compare anything with the Bee.

Other than that, I am happy with the product and would definitely recommend it.

I find that with the Z+ and Z++ modes, there is a lot of pop in front of the screens - not my favourite mode for 3D in general, but it does support it on your trainer model.

Have you played with the depth button and these modes?

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/21193645

I find that with the Z+ and Z++ modes, there is a lot of pop in front of the screens - not my favourite mode for 3D in general, but it does support it on your trainer model.

Have you played with the depth button and these modes?

I have tried all the depth modes. I don't know which I like better, the Z- or Z--. Sometimes Z-- makes it more 3D-ish, but hurts my eyes, so most of the time I watch in Z-. I did try the Z+ and Z++ modes, but it just did not look right. It did not have the 3D appeal to it, but rather just having the picture farther out. I did not really notice the pop out effect with these modes, probably because I don't really like to watch 3D in these modes. For the most part I am happy with it, but would have really liked the true pop out of the screen effect that my 3D Blu-Ray movies have.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 /forum/post/21200674

funny how all these "new members" praise this device

Remember that the phrase "new" is relative. I'm not so new here. RDJam's been here much longer than I have. He seems to like his Bee setup. And I like mine. Got a Trainer yesterday...

@RDJam: Another movie to try is "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Mine is DVD, but it looks as though it was originally filmed in 3D. Sadly, my 3D BDP won't play 3D titles through the 'Bee, just as mentioned earlier. I tried using a switch between the 'Bee (with Sat receiver and HD DVD player connected to it) and 3D BDP and my 3D-Theater unit as VEFXi recommends. It was an old 1.2 4X1 Monoprice switch, and amazingly enough works with 3D sources. However I'd like to play 3D BD titles and use the 'Bee to play non-3D Blu Rays without constant cable swapping. I have a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus on the way and plan to test it between the BDP and 'Bee. I should have the Gefen unit tomorrow. Film at 11...

#88 ·

Quote:

I believe they are genuinely new members - I didn't notice any unlimited praise, they have been making both points and counterpoints.

and I'm an OOold member, and I still love it!

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21201169

Remember that the phrase "new" is relative. I'm not so new here. RDJam's been here much longer than I have. He seems to like his Bee setup. And I like mine. Got a Trainer yesterday...

@RDJam: Another movie to try is "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Mine is DVD, but it looks as though it was originally filmed in 3D. Sadly, my 3D BDP won't play 3D titles through the 'Bee, just as mentioned earlier. I tried using a switch between the 'Bee (with Sat receiver and HD DVD player connected to it) and 3D BDP and my 3D-Theater unit as VEFXi recommends. It was an old 1.2 4X1 Monoprice switch, and amazingly enough works with 3D sources. However I'd like to play 3D BD titles and use the 'Bee to play non-3D Blu Rays without constant cable swapping. I have a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus on the way and plan to test it between the BDP and 'Bee. I should have the Gefen unit tomorrow. Film at 11...

Hope that works - I think I have so much gear now, that it may be time for me to invest in an automated HDMI switching system !

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/21203691

Hope that works - I think I have so much gear now, that it may be time for me to invest in an automated HDMI switching system !

I hope it works, too! VEFXi says in an addendum to the user's guide that some 3D sources can't "see" a 3D-capable display through the Bee when it's in bypass. This is the kind of thing the Gefen box is designed to overcome for HTPCs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have the Gefen unit in hand, but am currently at work, so I won't get a chance to play with it until tonight or tomorrow.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp /forum/post/21102013

Have you been able to play a 3D Blu Ray through it?

For some reason, I am unable to.

I have the PS3 and a Mits DLP 73" 3D ready and have the trainer model and played "Legend of the Guardians" using the 3D disc and it wouldn't play. And yes I selected the 2D/BP mode.

have you had this issue?

I am thinking something about the PS3's sending the info out when it has a

3D disc in it that the unit doesn't understand?

It goes to a very dark screen. The PS3 plays fine and can see verything in the menu when the disc is in, but when I scroll over the movie and select it, it goes blank. And only way around this is to unlpul the hdmi cable from the 3D bee and connect it directly from the PS3 to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Bee /forum/post/21112991

@sddp

ERRATA for the 3D-Bee::home and 3D-Bee::trainer

When in 2D/Bypass mode, the 3D-Bee will bypass 2D video from the input to the output to enable the viewing of video in 2D if desired. It will also bypass 3D video from input to output for some types of 3D sources. While the 3D-Bee is HDMI certified, some types of 3D sources may have different HDMI characteristics and not be able to bypass through the 3D-Bee. In these situations you can:

Connect these directly to another HDMI input on your TV, or

Add an HDMI splitter where one splitter output goes to the 3D-Bee for conversion of 2D to 3D, and the other splitter output goes to another HDMI input on your TV for viewing original 3D from that video source.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback from everyone!

Thanks for the reply. So I just bought another native 3D Blu Ray "Green Latern" and having the same issue. Before I insert the disc, everything works fine and see the PS3 screen options and put the 3D-Bee in 2D/BP mode and when I insert the 3D Blu Ray of Green Latern the screen flickers for a few seconds and goes blank and stays that way not matter whe I do. Although I do hear the sound, so I know it's playing. I take it this is just how it is playing 3D source material from the Sony PS3 going while using the 3D-Bee?

I am planning on getting a few PS3 Games and they come in 3D, will this issue also still happen with them?

Is therey any mode or optoins I can try, other than unplugging the HDMI cables and re-pluging them everytime?

Thanks

PS; However I also watched the reguarl 2D blue ray of green later with the

3d-Bee on with my glasses and was really impressed, some scenes it's almost better or as good as the Native, with the trainer it's nice to have options of changing depth when I want

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21203970

I hope it works, too! VEFXi says in an addendum to the user's guide that some 3D sources can't "see" a 3D-capable display through the Bee when it's in bypass. This is the kind of thing the Gefen box is designed to overcome for HTPCs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have the Gefen unit in hand, but am currently at work, so I won't get a chance to play with it until tonight or tomorrow.

Well, it didn't work.
I don't have a 3D-capable display, per se'. I have one of the VIP 3D-Theater units providing the capability, and it was its EDID I was trying to capture with the HDMI Detective. I got indications of a valid EDID capture, and everything worked up to the point I selected the 3D version on a Blu Ray. Then, I got the message that a 3D-compatible display was needed. This may be more due to the workings of the VIP when it goes into 3D mode than to any drawback of the Gefen unit. According to their website, it can capture HDMI 1.4 EDIDs, so I may have to try capturing one from a full-goose 3D TV.

If this is more than an EDID issue, and the Bee can't pass a frame-packed signal, for instance, then I'm probably hosed...

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21202984

I believe he's implying you guys may be shills working for VEFXi...

I guess I understood that, but wanted to be sure of the implication. In my critique of the device I mentioned my likes and dislikes of the unit. I don't know what others have said, but I am sure I am not in any way a shill for VEFXI, lol.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp /forum/post/21205590

I take it this is just how it is playing 3D source material from the Sony PS3 going while using the 3D-Bee?

I am planning on getting a few PS3 Games and they come in 3D, will this issue also still happen with them?

Is therey any mode or optoins I can try, other than unplugging the HDMI cables and re-pluging them everytime?

Hi sddp,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

I think your best bet is go with the splitter option. In our demo display, the best behaving splitter solution that we have found is using a 4 to 2 matrix switch PPA model 7280E. Go to the TV department in your local electronics store and ask them for their HDMI 4 to 2 matrix switch. It has more in and out function than you need, but we connect our 2D/3D Blu-ray to one input, and then connect one of the outputs to the 3D-Bee which is then connected to a 3DTV, and the other output to a 2D monitor to show what the 2D source looks like next to the 3DTV.

By the way, when we use a 3D-Bee as a 3D source and send that through a second 3D-Bee, it bypasses 3D just fine. So it is an issue only with specific 3D sources. We use the leading HDMI chipset that was designed by one of the founding companies of HDMI.org, and they are also the leading HDMI certification testing company as well. And the bypass issue is a limitation of their chip set and the current HDMI spec when dealing with chains of devices, not something that can be upgraded today. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will continue to use the best devices possible on future products. HDMI is maturing over time and we expect the current limitations will be solved in future generations.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21202984

I believe he's implying you guys may be shills working for VEFXi...

Hi Dave1969,

There are no paid or solicited bloggers on this site or any site. These are all customers who have purchased from us or demo-ed our products at a trade show. It can be a great trait to need to see for yourself though. If you're interested we'll be at CES in January and even have a coupon for free registration throughout November. Otherwise, if you're in Oregon we can set up a personal demo for you at our studio. Cheers -Pamela

#96 ·
so if i already have two 3D-XL boxes I could buy the trainer model and see how I like it, and then purchase a second trainer in order to have full 1080p? Also, the trainer model alone only does side-by-side 1080p correct? When using the pro model, are the units actually outputting full 1080p or are they simply performing the same task as the 3D-XL to send the left and right images to the correct projector?

Im sorry if that question is confusing, I just want to make sure if I get the Pro model is it still stretching a 960x1080 image to 1920x1080 then sending it to the left or right projector or is it actually making a full 1920x1080 image?

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 /forum/post/21213485

so if i already have two 3D-XL boxes I could buy the trainer model and see how I like it, and then purchase a second trainer in order to have full 1080p? Also, the trainer model alone only does side-by-side 1080p correct? When using the pro model, are the units actually outputting full 1080p or are they simply performing the same task as the 3D-XL to send the left and right images to the correct projector?

Im sorry if that question is confusing, I just want to make sure if I get the Pro model is it still stretching a 960x1080 image to 1920x1080 then sending it to the left or right projector or is it actually making a full 1920x1080 image?

I don't think so, but hopefully Pamela will chime in.

The Pro setup I got is two boxes and they look the same, but one is coded for outputting the Right, and the other seems dedicated to the Left. They are set to output a full 1080p for their respective eye.

It's possible that this is a software or firmware setting that you can update on each box, but this seems to be the only way.

Hopefully they may offer an upgrade path for Trainer buyers to add the second unit and change the settings, but from what I see on these, they currently function differently, even tho the box is identical.

#98 ·
OK! I finally got my setup to work the way I want. That is, to use the Bee to convert Satellite, HD DVD, and 2D Blu Ray while still being able to play native 3D Blu Rays without having to constantly plug and unplug cables (I have only a single 3D-capable input). This was kind of expensive and a kludge so I wouldn't recommend it because of those facts.

I placed a 1X2 splitter after the BDP, with one output connected through a Gefen HDMI Detective to the Bee. The Detective was programmed with the EDID from my 3D display and was necessary because the splitter reflects the least-capable input, which would have been the Bee's in this case (sorry, VEFXi) and that caused the BDP to refuse to output in 3D mode. The other splitter output and the Bee's output both go to a powered HDMI switch I had laying around. Even though the switch is about 6 years old, it passes 3D just fine.

As an alternative, Gefen makes a splitter which reports a 3D-capable display if it sees one regardless of what is on the other outputs. This would eliminate the need for the HDMI Detective, but that splitter is $$$.

Another way to get the BDP to play native 3D content with a single 3D display input without swapping cables but without the HDMI Detective requires a little bit of preplanning. You still need a splitter and switch, but you turn off the 'Bee via its front panel input before firing up the rest of the system. This makes the splitter mirror the 3D display's EDID instead of the Bee's, and the BDP will now go into 3D mode.