AVS Forum banner

The Owner's thread for marantz sr7002 and sr8002 receivers

796K views 5K replies 630 participants last post by  Dragoson 
#1 ·
#4,951 ·
I'm torn at the moment as to whether I should replace my 7002 with the sr7005. Pretty much everything I watch has an HD soundtrack (DTS-HD MA or TrueHD) which my sr7002 can decode without issue but it can't apply any Audyssey equalization curves due to a lack of processing power.

Anyone replace their 7002 with a 6005 or 7005? Any opinions or insights you are able to share?

#4,952 ·
This same question has been asked a cpl times before,i even asked too,in regards to i own the sr8002.Never got an answer. Either way i decided it was a mute issue since i dont use audessy except when i originally set up the reciever,and i like my sr8002.There are differences tech wise like airplay and such as well as the application of audessy.Depends what you want to accomplish.Anything else as i said never got an answer.Really dont know if it would be considered an upgrade as to what u all ready have.Hope someone replies to you.

#4,953 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/21215369

This same question has been asked a cpl times before,i even asked too,in regards to i own the sr8002.Never got an answer. Either way i decided it was a mute issue since i dont use audessy except when i originally set up the reciever,and i like my sr8002.There are differences tech wise like airplay and such as well as the application of audessy.Depends what you want to accomplish.Anything else as i said never got an answer.Really dont know if it would be considered an upgrade as to what u all ready have.Hope someone replies to you.

I was looking for other features such as playing flac files via usb or network, Internet radio, etc.

I guess I try an external amp first to see if the sound improves. If it doesn't, I may ask a friend to borrow his 6005 for a few days.

#4,954 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/21216493

I was looking for other features such as playing flac files via usb or network, Internet radio, etc.

I guess I try an external amp first to see if the sound improves. If it doesn't, I may ask a friend to borrow his 6005 for a few days.

If that's all you want to do have you considered a network player like a Squeezebox Touch? Mine sounds fantastic connected to the SR7002 via coax.

#4,957 ·
curious as to what speakers your driving that would reguire an amp?

#4,959 ·
i would assume it would depend on the speakers since some are power hungry and harder to drive.I dont think sound quality really comes into play when adding an amp,just more headroom.And only if needed.this is to my understanding but i could be wrong.Even though i believe that some amps may color the sound.

#4,960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/21226019

i would assume it would depend on the speakers since some are power hungry and harder to drive.I dont think sound quality really comes into play when adding an amp,just more headroom.And only if needed.this is to my understanding but i could be wrong.Even though i believe that some amps may color the sound.

I went from an Onkyo 705 to the sr7002 and there was a major upgrade in sound quality (smoother, less bright) so, with this in mind, I'm curious to try out an external amp.

#4,961 ·
By all means go ahead and add an amp and make your own comparisons and let us know what your conclusions are.not trying to sway you just implying that money spent on an amp that may not be needed could be applied elsewhere.what speakers are you driving if i may ask?

Just so you know i have the sr8002 and driving 4ohm 89db speakers for the last 2 yrs or so 24/7.does an excellent job w/o amp.

also years ago i had a rotel rsx1056 and added a sunfire 200 watt amp.I sent the amp back as it made no difference and actually changed the sound(not to my liking).But i'm no pro at this.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you out.

#4,962 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/21226099

By all means go ahead and add an amp and make your own comparisons and let us know what your conclusions are.not trying to sway you just implying that money spent on an amp that may not be needed could be applied elsewhere.what speakers are you driving if i may ask?

Just so you know i have the sr8002 and driving 4ohm 89db speakers for the last 2 yrs or so 24/7.does an excellent job w/o amp.

also years ago i had a rotel rsx1056 and added a sunfire 200 watt amp.I sent the amp back as it made no difference and actually changed the sound(not to my liking).But i'm no pro at this.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you out.

I'm driving Energy rc-70 fronts, rc-lcr centre, c-r100 rears.

I decided to try out an Anthem mrx-500 receiver so I can get equalization when bitstreaming HD audio from my media player.

After using the Anthem, I packed up my sr7002. As good as the sr7002 is, the Anthem was better to my ears.

#4,963 ·
Been a while since I posted, still loving my 8002. I reconfigured my "Elfa Rack" and totally forgot to leave clearance for my receiver, I'd only left 1/2 clearance on top.

Fortunately I noticed the heat after only a few minutes and had to dig out the manual to see what the recommended clearance was ...which led me through a process to what you see in the photos. I removed the solid shelf and replaced it with wire rack...then added a cooler guy USB fan that's powered by the AVR's switch, inaudible and works great.

My AVR case is actually cool to the touch now even after hours of use.

Perhaps someone else may find this useful.

#4,964 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton /forum/post/21460272

Been a while since I posted, still loving my 8002. I reconfigured my "Elfa Rack" and totally forgot to leave clearance for my receiver, I'd only left 1/2 clearance on top.

Fortunately I noticed the heat after only a few minutes and had to dig out the manual to see what the recommended clearance was ...which led me through a process to what you see in the photos. I removed the solid shelf and replaced it with wire rack...then added a cooler guy USB fan that's powered by the AVR's switch, inaudible and works great.

My AVR case is actually cool to the touch now even after hours of use.

Perhaps someone else may find this useful.

I love the rack you set up. It's so easy to re-configure and the high-tech look matches your components quite well.

I stopped using my sr7002 for the moment and started using an Anthem MRX-500. The sr7002 has a few features the Antem doesn't such as DSD decoding, better hdmi compatibility with my htpc, and 2 hdmi outputs.

#4,965 ·
I've never seen/heard the Anthem products in person, have heard good things through the years.

Thanks for compliment on the rack, I researched a lot of solutions on my quest to make everything fit in 6' wall space...I can even vacuum under it.

Since the 8002 is passive cooling, in hindsight, I'm thinking I could have saved a lot of cash just using wire shelves for everything...maybe on the next one.

The cooler guy fan is amazingly silent, I highly recommend it.

#4,966 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton /forum/post/21464016

I've never seen/heard the Anthem products in person, have heard good things through the years.

Thanks for compliment on the rack, I researched a lot of solutions on my quest to make everything fit in 6' wall space...I can even vacuum under it.

Since the 8002 is passive cooling, in hindsight, I'm thinking I could have saved a lot of cash just using wire shelves for everything...maybe on the next one.

The cooler guy fan is amazingly silent, I highly recommend it.

Yes, the Anthem is a great product but it's not for everyone.

I will definitely look into getting something similar or identical to your rack in the future.

#4,967 ·
...and my 8002 has been flawless since the firmware upgrade.

About the only wish I have would be for user serviceable firmware update...but next one.

#4,968 ·
Hi everyone- I've noticed "pops" or crackles from the speakers during two circumstances. I've already done a search and it seems that it might be firmware related, but I wanted to confirm these specific circumstances that are unique to my situation.

First, I have a 7002 hooked up via HDMI to a Panasonic BD35. The audio is being PCM'd to the receiver. When the receiver locks onto a DTS-MA signal, there's a pop that comes noticeably from the left rear speaker. This pop only happens when the receiver starts receiving the codec. The pop does not happen during normal playback. I can confirm that when I ask a Blu-Ray to pick either a 2.0, legacy DTS, or even Dolby TrueHD the pop does not occur.

Bitstreaming eliminates the pops, but then I cannot use Audyssey, which I find does help in my room situation.

Second, I also notice smaller pops happening when I raise the volume. I will pause the program material (this happens regardless of source), and raise the volume. As I raise the volume, I hear cracks or pops coming from the speakers. They are quite small, almost insignificant...again, I do not hear these during normal playback.

My dealer has suggested taking it in to a service center. Marantz CS was of no help at all. Is this worth checking out, or should I ignore it since I don't hear anything during playback?

#4,969 ·
Check which version firmware you're using - in case you already have the latest, but having it looked at may be a good idea given some of your symptoms sound a little different than the typical pops were - at least for myself, which were fairly much as reported by others. In particular the crackling while adjusting volume is concerning. Have you confirmed your connections are all ok? Any ground loop issues or speaker terminal shorting to the case (it's easy for stray wire strands to cause shorts if you're not using terminals on your speaker connections).

#4,970 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtheB /forum/post/21694105

Check which version firmware you're using - in case you already have the latest, but having it looked at may be a good idea given some of your symptoms sound a little different than the typical pops were - at least for myself, which were fairly much as reported by others. In particular the crackling while adjusting volume is concerning. Have you confirmed your connections are all ok? Any ground loop issues or speaker terminal shorting to the case (it's easy for stray wire strands to cause shorts if you're not using terminals on your speaker connections).

I agree, your issues sounds a bit different from the known FW issues. Specifically, the popping sounds would occur when your player is set to bitstream and the Marantz is performing the decoding of an HD-MA track. You mentioned you are using PCM from your player, which should circumvent the known Marantz FW problem.

#4,971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtheB /forum/post/21694105

Thanks- I got this receiver as a floor model back in '08 and am pretty sure that the dealer never upgraded the firmware. Haven't checked to confirm, but 99% sure that it is running the original firmware.

The small pops when lowering or raising the volume are almost too small to even bother with, but I don't think they're supposed to be there at all. I'm attaching a picture of how I connected the rear surrounds (the wire my dealer ran had the capability for bi-amping, so I figured why not give it a go). Just looking at the picture, am I doing something wrong?

#4,972 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 /forum/post/21700315

I'm attaching a picture of how I connected the rear surrounds (the wire my dealer ran had the capability for bi-amping, so I figured why not give it a go). Just looking at the picture, am I doing something wrong?

What about at the amp end? Given the number of terminals and spacing it's always possible to have something go wrong there.

#4,973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtheB /forum/post/0

What about at the amp end? Given the number of terminals and spacing it's always possible to have something go wrong there.

The amp end is good. I double checked it, so I'm confident that is correct. I do have the amp end going through banana plugs...

Really not sure what to do next. I might try not bi-amping just for fun, but other than that I think I'm looking at taking it in. I'd be more concerned if the pops happened during normal playback, but as they do not, I may just leave it...

#4,974 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 /forum/post/21714188

Really not sure what to do next. ... I think I'm looking at taking it in. I'd be more concerned if the pops happened during normal playback, but as they do not, I may just leave it...

I'd at least get the firmware updated - while you still can.

And seeing as you have to take the unit in for that... may as well get it looked at. Let us know how things go.

#4,975 ·
Hi,

I have an issue with the amp SR8002 where as the Front left channel is really faint compared to the rest of the channels, I have test other working speakers but with the same result.

I want to update the CPU firmware, DSP firmware, HDMI CPU firmware and HD radio firmware.

Does anyone know where i can download these from? so i can do it myself or is it best to ask the service centre to do this? (it is out of warranty)

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.