AVS Forum banner
384K views 3K replies 419 participants last post by  Maverick0984 
#1 ·
Well... I assume this thread might be getting a lot of action soon. The 706 comes with the MultiEQ + DynamicEQ + 1080P + a plethora of HDMI ins + the all important blue back-lit volume knob--that is what sold me. I have one being delivered this week.

I will report back with my initial impressions.

#2,734 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their 706 popping and cracking through the speakers when it comes on? I am also getting a delay for the sound and the video to turn on after turning on the 706. Sometimes it takes as long as five minutes to "turn on" after turning the power on.

I get the problem using both my ps3 and my satellite receiver.

#2,735 ·
On the following setup:

Mac Mini, PS3, and Directv Hd reciever all connected via hdmi. I am getting no signal periodically on all inputs, I have to remote into the mini and switch the resolution down to 720p, then back up to 1080p and do the same manually on the Directv box and completely reset resolution on the ps3 in order to restore signal. I have replaced all cables, as well as the cables connected to monitor out. Any ideas?

#2,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard27 /forum/post/0

Samsung PN-59D8000 with Onkyo TX-SR706- This is my first post ever so bear with me. Disconnected my Blue Ray and connected a new Samsung 3d blueray player to watch a new 3d movie thru my AV hoping for awsome sound. The normal introduction was fine but when the 3d came on the system stopped. No 3d thru the HDMI with this set-up that I could tell. Found a way around it though, connected the 3d BD to the HDMI in on the back of the tv and used optical out from the tv to the AV (not HDMI). I still am working on it because I think it is only stereo and now 5.1 or 7.1 THX. Any ideas are welcome to help with getting a full sound signal and THX during films.

No 3D television here, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning setting the hdmi to pass through on the receiver and getting it to work. The other option would be splitting the hdmi signal with a powered box (check mono price).

#2,737 ·
My 706B works just fine. but I want surround sound when I plug in headphones (Yamaha has Silent Cinema for headphones).

Has anyone here owned the 706B and the Yamaha RX-V667, wondering if I'm going to lose anything switching to the RX-V667?

#2,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjay1980 /forum/post/21223760

On the following setup:

Mac Mini, PS3, and Directv Hd reciever all connected via hdmi. I am getting no signal periodically on all inputs, I have to remote into the mini and switch the resolution down to 720p, then back up to 1080p and do the same manually on the Directv box and completely reset resolution on the ps3 in order to restore signal. I have replaced all cables, as well as the cables connected to monitor out. Any ideas?

I've got a very similar setup (MythTV and PS3 connected via HDMI), and have been having the same issue for a few weeks. This setup was working perfectly for me ever since I got it two years ago, but lately I'm getting no signal from either of the HDMI inputs. When the problem started happening a few weeks ago, I had been able to get the signal working by fiddling with various things or just waiting a long time and switching between the inputs on the receiver (while my dinner gets cold), but last night I tried everything I could think of and just couldn't get it to work. I can go into the receiver's setup menu and that picture shows up fine, it's just the HDMI stuff that won't come through. I ended up just plugging the PS3 directly into the TV and turning on the TV speakers. I think this receiver must just have a faulty design or they used some bad parts in the HDMI path or something. I was pretty concerned about how much heat it was generating when I first got it in late 2009 and figured that it wouldn't have a long life as a result, but this is sad. I won't be getting anything from Onkyo again. My last receiver, also an Onkyo, had one of it's analog inputs fail. I like their features and sound quality, but this thing cost too much to only last 23 months.

There are some other posts with the same problem apparently:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20568701
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1302144
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20153676
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20568836
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18988074

Maybe two years is the lifespan?

#2,739 ·
I recently found that I would get signal from my PS3 if I was able to start a game, not just start up the PS3 and let it sit on the menu screen, since the output from a game was less than than 1080p. I have since set my PS3 to output no higher than 1080i and I have had no problems with the 706 getting a signal. I was prompted to try this after realizing that I rarely had any problem with my Comcast DVR at 1080i.

Hope this helps!

#2,740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude /forum/post/21300086

I recently found that I would get signal from my PS3 if I was able to start a game, not just start up the PS3 and let it sit on the menu screen, since the output from a game was less than than 1080p. I have since set my PS3 to output no higher than 1080i and I have had no problems with the 706 getting a signal. I was prompted to try this after realizing that I rarely had any problem with my Comcast DVR at 1080i.

Changing the PS3 resolution helped temporarily, but it didn't fix the problem because the DVR won't output 1080i afaik. Also, I use the PS3 as a BD player so I want it to work at full resolution.

#2,741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy /forum/post/21261378

My 706B works just fine. but I want surround sound when I plug in headphones (Yamaha has Silent Cinema for headphones).

Has anyone here owned the 706B and the Yamaha RX-V667, wondering if I'm going to lose anything switching to the RX-V667?

I have them both, the yamaha has a better OSD and better with music. the onkyo has more power & THX. the silent cinima is over rated in my opinion. the yamaha also supports 1.4 HDMI.

#2,743 ·
Yes - this has been happening to me for the past couple of months. It happens every time I turn it on. It is like it makes these digi-pops while it is warming up. Have you found a solution to this yet? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel /forum/post/21119116

Has anyone had a problem with their 706 popping and cracking through the speakers when it comes on? I am also getting a delay for the sound and the video to turn on after turning on the 706. Sometimes it takes as long as five minutes to "turn on" after turning the power on.

#2,830 ·
Yes - this has been happening to me for the past couple of months. It happens every time I turn it on. It is like it makes these digi-pops while it is warming up. Have you found a solution to this yet? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel /forum/post/21119116

After 6 years and 2 months my Onkyo TX-SR706 also has the crackling and popping issue when I turn it on. Has anyone had their TX-SR706 repaired with this problem? If yes, at what cost?

The last time it happened it powered itself off and when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the volume was cranked way up on all the speakers. I just bought a pair of Klipsh R-26F speakers and I don't want them blown out by a faulty receiver.

Repair or pull the plug?

#2,744 ·
I'm having trouble hooking my new xbox 360 s up. I'm running HDMI from xbox 360s to my onkyo 706 receiver and HDMI out from the receiver to Pioneer Kuro TV. I have the same setup for my blu ray player and satellite without any problems. I'm not getting video or audio for xbox.

I've disconnected the HDMI cable from the blu ray player and connected it to the xbox (so the xbox used the same HDMI cable and same HDMI port as the blu ray player). No audio/video.

I connected the xbox directly to the TV (no receiver) with HDMI. I have video (not sure about audio since I don't have the speakers hooked up to the Pioneer TV).

Why am I having problems running this through the Onkyo 706 receiver? Any help? Thanks!

#2,747 ·
Not sure how many people use this receiver with an HTPC but thought I would ask anyone who does to check out an issue I am having with an HTPC not booting with the HDMI cable plugged into the SR706. If I unplug (or turn off the AVR) during boot and then connect the cable (or turn on the AVR) after boot it works just fine. it is just when the computer starts up with HDMI cable plugged in it will not boot

Anyone can help me with this really annoying problem?

Post in HTPC forum

#2,748 ·
Question for you guys, I have a Onkyo SR706 receiver to go with my Definitive Technology BP10's, CLR2000 and AV123 MFW-15 sub and even though I ran the Audyssey setup, I find that there is too much bass "thump" when watching regular TV, especially commercials.

Besides turning down the trim on the sub, what settings would you recommend changing on the Onkyo?

Here are my crossover settings:

Front 60hz

Center 70hz

Surround 80hz

#2,750 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/21478995

I'm assuming you have Dynamic Eq enabled. Since tv is mixed at different levels than movies, go into source setup, then intellivolume and set to -10. This will reduce the effect on dyn eq on your tv input an rfeduce bass.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. One thing I tried tonight and found to work was turning off Audyssey.

#2,751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 /forum/post/21479351

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. One thing I tried tonight and found to work was turning off Audyssey.

But then you lose all benefits of the room correction and auto EQ. If anything, just turn of Dynamic EQ but I think you will find then you do not have enough bass unless listening near reference levels. The solution I gave you above just reduces the effect rather than turning off Dyn EQ.

Typically for TV and Music you will want the Intellivolum at -10 (or more for some music) but at 0 for movies.

#2,752 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/21480164

But then you lose all benefits of the room correction and auto EQ. If anything, just turn of Dynamic EQ but I think you will find then you do not have enough bass unless listening near reference levels. The solution I gave you above just reduces the effect rather than turning off Dyn EQ.

Typically for TV and Music you will want the Intellivolum at -10 (or more for some music) but at 0 for movies.

Makes sense, thanks!

#2,753 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by efotonik /forum/post/20636706

Does anyone know the specifications for the "Phones" output on the front end of the receiver?

I'm looking to get nice headphones and have been reading up on those and ability to drive comes up quite frequently with some of the phones. Any idea what output levels are?

I would like clarification on this as well. I wanna pick up headphones for cinema (5.1) and Xbox gaming and I don't want to invest in headphones that offer virtual surround if I can just go with stereo headphones

#2,754 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman /forum/post/21745812

I would like clarification on this as well. I wanna pick up headphones for cinema (5.1) and Xbox gaming and I don't want to invest in headphones that offer virtual surround if I can just go with stereo headphones

I can tell you that the headphone jack only outputs stereo. If you have the receiver in a surround mode, the moment you plug in the phones, the receiver switches to stereo. If you want a fake surround sound while wearing phones the phones are going to have to do the processing.

#2,757 ·
This is a really silly question, but I recently received this receiver from a friend, and am running 5.1 on it. I had some issues connecting my back two speakers as the "surround rears" and had to leave them as "side surrounds" for anything to come out of them. Does that sound right? When using the THX Music presets, nothing comes out of the back speakers, yet on my old Onkyo, all 5 speakers would play on THX Music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.