AVS Forum banner

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon

110K views 576 replies 120 participants last post by  prince.nothing 
#1 ·
Monoprice seems to be listing some new types of screen.

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10829

Including:

Grey, as well as white.

Tab tensioned, motorised screens

Ceiling recessed versions of all motorised screens

Fixed screens with velvet borders

2.35:1 screens

Multi-format (16:9, 2.35:1) screens

Screens up to 150" diagonal

Details are sparse, with descriptions largely being copy-pastes of other screen descriptions, so that even fixed screens are mentioned as being electric. We'll see how these screens pan out, I suppose.

Prices are reasonable, especially for tab-tensioned electric screens and huge dual-format screens. Not quite sure what the dual format screen comprises - motorised masking panels, perhaps?

See less See more
#231 ·
I promised a review so here it is.

I'll start with the installation. The box came UPS freight but to avoid waiting until after the holiday weekend to receive it I went to the freight center and picked it up on Wednesday and the box was in good condition when I received it. The box was about 10' long and barely fit in my mini-van but after shuffling the kids around and angling it just right I got it in with the hatch shut. The box and all its contents weighed about 100lb. but I think the packaging itself weighed 30-40lb. by itself so the screen after assembly, while still pretty heavy, doesn't weigh 100lb. The install was pretty straight forward and easy (although as noted by everyone else there is a step that is pretty vague that may cause a little trouble if you skip it). I had a few issues that I would consider to be negatives about installation: The first is when I was putting everything together a screw fell out of the top and bottom of the screen where the masking material is stored. I'm going to assume that the were probably dropped in there during factory assembly because they look like the same screws from another part of the frame and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the masking system. The second issue I had was the metal poles that you route through the screen to connect it to the frame with springs were a little long and overlapped which like the first issue is just a minor annoyance and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the screen. The third issue I had was with the mounting system. I don't mind the screen being a few inches off the wall but my projector was already mounted for a screen that was nearly flush with the wall. The problem I had was that I didn't leave a lot of play for zooming with my projector and was on the very edge of having to move my projector to compensate for the screen being ~3" closer to the projector.

Now I'll talk about the performance of the screen. I've played the screen shuffle for the last few months and figured I was just too poor to have a nice screen. I started with a 92" Elite Cinewhite screen that I had for about 6 months before (oddly enough) my wife said it was too small. I started the hunt and decided to go with a Favi 120" electric screen. I got it and I couldn't live with the uneven brightness from the waves and impressions from being rolled and unrolled so it went back to Amazon. So next I went with a 120" Elite Cinewhite screen but that thing was a sparkly hot-spotting POS. Back it went. So now I was a little depressed about my choices at $300 so I decided to bite the bullet and spend some more money. I started looking for screens that wouldn't hot-spot and the cheapest I could find was ~$1300 which made me feel more depressed and poor. The Mono-price screen was always on the radar but I was nervous about the screen material because of the experience I had with the Elite and Favi but after giving up on getting a good screen material i just decided at least I'd have a sweet masking system if I went with the Mono-price. So why the paragraph about my experience with crappy screens and the resulting depression that almost sent me into a spiral of picketing outside businesses of anyone more monetarily successful than me? So you know I have a point of reference when I give an opinion on the screen material of course.

I'm happy to report that the screen material performs very well. There is no hot-spotting or sparkles at all and with an all black image projected the image looks evenly lit. The texture of the screen isn't glass flat but I can't complain about the sharpness of the image. The masking system works great. Although there is a method to pulling it up and latching it, it goes up smooth and nearly effortlessly. Having the nice wide masking around all edges cannot be understated either. This screen makes me feel like I finally have a true home theater.

I rate this screen:

Price: A

Performance: B+

Performance for the price (value): A+

I'll post pictures and calibration settings someday. Shoot any questions you have and I'll answer them the best I can.

#232 ·
Too bad they don't ship screens to Canada...

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockevin /forum/post/21241368

I just purchased and installed the 120" multi-format white (7969). I came from a Dalite model C pulldown, and I am really pleased with the resulting improvements. I want to thank mbroder and rakstr for helping me make the decision.

What kind of Dalite did you 'upgrade' from? Was it a high power? I have a 119" high power pulldown and it's great... except for one big annoyance: waves
. I'm thinking about getting a 120" multi-format Monoprice white, but wondering about brightness. Going from a 2.4 gain to a 1.0 gain, umm, I don't know. I have the Optoma HD33 PJ and watch quite a bit of 3D, so that's my concern.

Also, with regard to the masking, does it accomodate for 2.35:1 max? or 2.40:1? or more... like 'Ben Hur' 2.76:1?

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/0

What kind of Dalite did you 'upgrade' from? Was it a high power? I have a 119" high power pulldown and it's great... except for one big annoyance: waves
. I'm thinking about getting a 120" multi-format Monoprice white, but wondering about brightness. Going from a 2.4 gain to a 1.0 gain, umm, I don't know. I have the Optoma HD33 PJ and watch quite a bit of 3D, so that's my concern.

Also, with regard to the masking, does it accomodate for 2.35:1 max? or 2.40:1? or more... like 'Ben Hur' 2.76:1?

I'm not sure about 2.76:1, but the masks will definitely extend farther than 2.35:1. You just need to add some more hooks to attach the mask.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 /forum/post/21261105

I promised a review so here it is.

I'll start with the installation. The box came UPS freight but to avoid waiting until after the holiday weekend to receive it I went to the freight center and picked it up on Wednesday and the box was in good condition when I received it. The box was about 10' long and barely fit in my mini-van but after shuffling the kids around and angling it just right I got it in with the hatch shut. The box and all its contents weighed about 100lb. but I think the packaging itself weighed 30-40lb. by itself so the screen after assembly, while still pretty heavy, doesn't weigh 100lb. The install was pretty straight forward and easy (although as noted by everyone else there is a step that is pretty vague that may cause a little trouble if you skip it). I had a few issues that I would consider to be negatives about installation: The first is when I was putting everything together a screw fell out of the top and bottom of the screen where the masking material is stored. I'm going to assume that the were probably dropped in there during factory assembly because they look like the same screws from another part of the frame and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the masking system. The second issue I had was the metal poles that you route through the screen to connect it to the frame with springs were a little long and overlapped which like the first issue is just a minor annoyance and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the screen. The third issue I had was with the mounting system. I don't mind the screen being a few inches off the wall but my projector was already mounted for a screen that was nearly flush with the wall. The problem I had was that I didn't leave a lot of play for zooming with my projector and was on the very edge of having to move my projector to compensate for the screen being ~3" closer to the projector.

Now I'll talk about the performance of the screen. I've played the screen shuffle for the last few months and figured I was just too poor to have a nice screen. I started with a 92" Elite Cinewhite screen that I had for about 6 months before (oddly enough) my wife said it was too small. I started the hunt and decided to go with a Favi 120" electric screen. I got it and I couldn't live with the uneven brightness from the waves and impressions from being rolled and unrolled so it went back to Amazon. So next I went with a 120" Elite Cinewhite screen but that thing was a sparkly hot-spotting POS. Back it went. So now I was a little depressed about my choices at $300 so I decided to bite the bullet and spend some more money. I started looking for screens that wouldn't hot-spot and the cheapest I could find was ~$1300 which made me feel more depressed and poor. The Mono-price screen was always on the radar but I was nervous about the screen material because of the experience I had with the Elite and Favi but after giving up on getting a good screen material i just decided at least I'd have a sweet masking system if I went with the Mono-price. So why the paragraph about my experience with crappy screens and the resulting depression that almost sent me into a spiral of picketing outside businesses of anyone more monetarily successful than me? So you know I have a point of reference when I give an opinion on the screen material of course.

I'm happy to report that the screen material performs very well. There is no hot-spotting or sparkles at all and with an all black image projected the image looks evenly lit. The texture of the screen isn't glass flat but I can't complain about the sharpness of the image. The masking system works great. Although there is a method to pulling it up and latching it, it goes up smooth and nearly effortlessly. Having the nice wide masking around all edges cannot be understated either. This screen makes me feel like I finally have a true home theater.

I rate this screen:

Price: A

Performance: B+

Performance for the price (value): A+

I'll post pictures and calibration settings someday. Shoot any questions you have and I'll answer them the best I can.

Nice review Droid.

I myself have been eyeing the monoprice screen 133in matte grey for over 6 months now. I'm just scared to pull the trigger just because it's 'monoprice'. I can get a Elite screen from a different website for only $200 more but still being cheap here about getting the monoprice instead. Reading this thread is gearing me towards getting it. I've been using the wall for 6 months. As you can see, i'm not in a rush to buy. Just waiting for the right price and right screen.

#239 ·
Brajesh,

I came from matte white. I have never been a fan of high power due to the limited viewing cone. I understand your concern in loss of brightness. I will say this screen appears brighter than dalite matte white. I believe the wider, light absorbing border helps a lot on that. In addition the effect the masking has on cinematic material is profound, and as has been stated, one could add additional hooks to go beyond 2.35:1.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy09sc /forum/post/21270814

Nice review Droid.

I myself have been eyeing the monoprice screen 133in matte grey for over 6 months now. I'm just scared to pull the trigger just because it's 'monoprice'. I can get a Elite screen from a different website for only $200 more but still being cheap here about getting the monoprice instead. Reading this thread is gearing me towards getting it. I've been using the wall for 6 months. As you can see, i'm not in a rush to buy. Just waiting for the right price and right screen.

I know of two different places that have stopped carrying Elite screens because of quality issues with their fixed frame screens. Both still sell Grandview screens and love them. If monoprice's screens are made by Grandview screens I wouldn't be scared to pull the trigger on one. I have a 112" Grandview shipping with my JVC RS45 as soon as it's ready to go.

#245 ·
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these screens.

I'm thinking of one of these: (106' Grey)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Front row seating (11 ft from screen)

Second row seating (16 ft from screen)

Or do you guys think a 120' would be better?

#247 ·
Just purchased a Monprice 133" Fixed Grey Screen to go with my Epson 3010 and later my 6010. They shipped fast. The assembly and install went without a hitch. The quality is pretty goood. the picture looks great. My only complaint is their shipping cost...they are 2-3X more than everyone elses! I needed to order another screen ~ 106", but just couldn't overpay for shipping again. Hoping my gamble with the other vendor pays off.

#248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 /forum/post/21295602

I had originaly thought a 106 would be enough for me. Then I bought the projector and just shot it on the wall. I have the same sitting as you and I would go 120. Even my wife likes it at 120. She said 106 was way to small.

Wow that's good to know and you might have just saved me from making bad decision. Thanks for the info.

#249 ·
Yea I would always sagest shooting on a wall first to see what size you like. I just stuck mine on a latter and moved it back till I was happy with the size. Then messured what was on the wall. I really thought being that close to a 120 I would be moving my eye's around the screen alot but I'm really happy with the size.

#250 ·
I'm now interested in the 2:35:1 aspect for an electric tensioned screen and I don't think Monoprice offers them in that configuration? Anyone know who has them/

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl H /forum/post/0

Just purchased a Monprice 133" Fixed Grey Screen to go with my Epson 3010 and later my 6010. They shipped fast. The assembly and install went without a hitch. The quality is pretty goood. the picture looks great. My only complaint is their shipping cost...they are 2-3X more than everyone elses! I needed to order another screen ~ 106", but just couldn't overpay for shipping again. Hoping my gamble with the other vendor pays off.

The shipping is outrageous, but you have to look at the overall cost. The price for the screen you are getting is way under market rate. These screens are made by Grandview. If you were to purchase a Grandview screen elsewhere you would pay way more than the total of the screen and shipping from Monoprice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.