AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread

217K views 2K replies 201 participants last post by  paul85 
#1 ·
Figured it might be good to start a thread for us 70'' 632 owners instead of hyjacking either the 80'' 632 or 732 threads =). Feel free to post any questions/comments/concerns here!

#277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom /forum/post/21318991

Yep - just got to get rid of the clouds now, might wait a month or so (got 90 days with Costco) and try out a newer build. I got a September build which is one of the first, might explain some of my current problems.

Where did you check the build date? I'll check mine too and if we are both around the same time we should call sharp and see if it's a known issue. Not that I expect them to fess up if it is but I also noticed it on other sharp models in the store.

#282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom /forum/post/0

Wanted to give an update on my TV shoot out:

Regardless of the buzzing and slight pink edge problems I had, I still decided to give the 65ST30 a try in a PQ shoot out between itself and a 70" Sharp 632. I used d-nices settings for the plasma and my own calibrated values for the sharp.

Tested material included scenes from pirates of the Caribbean, monsters inc, up and lord of the rings for movies. I also looked at some DVRed content (hockey, football, dexter and biggest loser).

On all scenes save one (PotC only slightly) myself and my wife both concluded that the sharp actually had an equal or greater picture quality to the Panasonic. Colors were brighter and had more pop, movies had more of a "perceived 3D" feel (SOE was removed on both sets) and detail seemed better across the board. Also, black levels did not seem grossly different - though I am in a dark basement so I was able to turn down the LCD backlight to help. Overall the immersiveness of the larger screen was also preferred.

The results were surprising to me to say the least, I really expected the Panasonic to win out - but I let my eyes be the judge. I guess at least this saves me the hassle of returning multiple sets to get a "good one". Obviously YMMV but for me, this is what I concluded.

Good update...I, too, have been very surprised by the PQ of this LED, and how close to, or the same as, it is compared to plasma.

#283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz /forum/post/0

Good update...I, too, have been very surprised by the PQ of this LED, and how close to, or the same as, it is compared to plasma.

Now the only question left is if I am going to exchange my set or not try see if a newer build is better with clouding and if that exchange will be for another 632 or the 732

Still haven't officially heard the differences between the two sets besides quattron but I dunno looking at the 732 earlier today it was better than I remembered

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf728 /forum/post/0

Hey guys... did we agree on the "best" calibration settings for this TV yet? I don't want to read through 10 pages and was wondering if we agree on which one looks best. This is a awesome set and worth every penny!!

Just for my WOW disc today, and will post up the results as soon as I step through it.

#288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom /forum/post/0

For mine there was a sticker right on the box - should be one on the back of the TV somewhere as well

Just checked my box, and it shows a date of November, 2011. Maybe that explains why I don't seem to have some of the issues that others do? I purchased it at Costco on the day before Thanksgiving.

#289 ·
Interesting. So, it looks like the blue filter only works if the color temperature is set to low. I think that is why it works in the movie mode. Learn something new everyday...

Here are my setting after calibrating it with AVSHD videos.

AV Mode: Movie

All enhancements are turned off

Backlight: +16 (I like it bright since there are usually ambient lighting)

Contrast: +34

Brightness: -10

Color: +12

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

The look is very natural and film like. Pretty nice indeed.

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz /forum/post/0

Just checked my box, and it shows a date of November, 2011. Maybe that explains why I don't seem to have some of the issues that others do? I purchased it at Costco on the day before Thanksgiving.

Yea, pretty sure I'm gonna replace mine regardless just don't know if it will be with another 632 or a 732 lol

#291 ·
Did you watch any football and if so what are your impressions? Have heard that closeups are great but "normal" viewing is somewhat blurry as compared to a plasma? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom /forum/post/21322163

Yea, pretty sure I'm gonna replace mine regardless just don't know if it will be with another 632 or a 732 lol

#292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen /forum/post/21322721

Did you watch any football and if so what are your impressions? Have heard that closeups are great but "normal" viewing is somewhat blurry as compared to a plasma? Thanks.

That has been mjo's feedback, but not mine...I have been impressed and thrilled by football on my 632...just as good as my plasma.

#294 ·
Picture quality is amazing! Only problem I'm having is the picture is lagging behind my sound with some movies, not all which is weird. I ended up using game av mode and it's synced pretty good now for all of you having the same problem. Trying to find my delay mode on my denon avr 3802 with no luck, I guess it's showing it's age

#296 ·
Power light blinking / flashing! Just got off the phone with Sharp customer service. I have found that streaming certain video files can lock up my Sharp and shut down, and cause the power light to blink 2 long and 5 short repeatedly until the power button is pressed. The service rep said this required service, I kept explaining that it only happens with certain video files which means the format is incompatible and the TV is not realizing this and causing it to crash. Other xvid files will play fine repeatedly, just a select few I have cause this.

So I politely refused service and offered to help Sharp troubleshoot this issue. I can send them a short sample encoded in the same way. I gave them the exact formatting of the avi file (xvix using mpeg4, AC3 6 channel sound encoding). The rep obviously can't take me up on the offer, but included it in my ticket and said they are all supposed to be reviewed so my offer should be seen by somebody higher up. I also found out that I cannot revert to an older firmware to test (as the tv downloaded the latest firmware when I first connected it to my network).

So if you stream video from a video server (dlna), and your set freaks out and either won't stop trying to play a video, or will stop then lock up and start flashing power (2 long 5 short), don't freak out. I strongly believe there is a little bug in the OS causing this.

This may very well apply to the all 60 to 80" panels that use the latest firmware. But who knows...

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog /forum/post/21323429

Power light blinking / flashing! Just got off the phone with Sharp customer service. I have found that streaming certain video files can lock up my Sharp and shut down, and cause the power light to blink 2 long and 5 short repeatedly until the power button is pressed. The service rep said this required service, I kept explaining that it only happens with certain video files which means the format is incompatible and the TV is not realizing this and causing it to crash. Other xvid files will play fine repeatedly, just a select few I have cause this.

So I politely refused service and offered to help Sharp troubleshoot this issue. I can send them a short sample encoded in the same way. I gave them the exact formatting of the avi file (xvix using mpeg4, AC3 6 channel sound encoding). The rep obviously can't take me up on the offer, but included it in my ticket and said they are all supposed to be reviewed so my offer should be seen by somebody higher up. I also found out that I cannot revert to an older firmware to test (as the tv downloaded the latest firmware when I first connected it to my network).

So if you stream video from a video server (dlna), and your set freaks out and either won't stop trying to play a video, or will stop then lock up and start flashing power (2 long 5 short), don't freak out. I strongly believe there is a little bug in the OS causing this.

This may very well apply to the all 60 to 80" panels that use the latest firmware. But who knows...

Thanks for the heads up. I tried the streaming briefly but did not encounter the problem. I have only concentrated on usb movie play at this time since it seems to have less stutter for me. Will note this if and when it happens. I hope they have another firmware update soon to address this and possibly other issues being reported.

#298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen /forum/post/0

Yea I have noticed the same thing, though web I compared the two a second time the difference was not as apparent. I think it really does have a lot to do with source, though I still think I got a more rotten build compared to others.

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincey2kr1 /forum/post/21323800

September build here and I have the clouding on black screens, not noticeable during the movies though. Waltz so your saying you have no clouding on your November ? Any other November builds confirm? Hate to take back mine because it's such a pain load and drive an hour

Do you have the diamond shadow on a bright screen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.